Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 17, 2019 10:12 AM

Sep 2018
Being my passion to watch Japanese anime, I am always chasing series that I may like both a little dated and a modern day. Therefore, as a narrative it is not bad: it reflects the style of the years in which it was produced. You can fly over the plot for now we are at the beginning, what happens in this episode is a bit chaotic for me, but I haven't read the novel. The action is so great and the quality of the drawings is good, so too are the animations, for now I am satisfied.
Dec 16, 2019 10:44 PM

Aug 2018
This was good but the MC man she is just crying and annoyed the hell out of me but a good start
Mar 3, 2020 5:59 PM

May 2010
That was one hell of a first episode! I actually loved how they took the chance of making the hero unlikeable at first, it's kinda like NGE in that regard. And how they kept everything mysterious, didn't really explain everything, that was a bit of a gambit too. This whole first episode had a "risky writing" feel that I never see in modern anime, and I can tell that they're laying the groundwork for something truly epic. So far my hat is off to the one who recommended this series to me, and I only hope it gets better once the initial chaos wears off.
“Money can't buy dere”
May 5, 2020 2:12 PM

Jul 2009
The 1st episode was pretty good, full of creatures.
Oct 26, 2020 5:34 AM

Aug 2017
Hmm, this looks interesting and I want to see where this is going. MC and most characters are not really to my liking so far, but I want to give them a few more episodes.
Dec 22, 2020 3:02 PM

Jul 2008
I found the MC annoying BEFORE her world was invaded by fantastic creatures, so he reacting realistically isn't much of a defense. Also, the interactions with her guardian Keiki felt very much like a teen novel, where a handsome guy pops out of the blue and orders her around, forcing things on her against her will (for her own good). His reasoning for making her kill the creature was dumb ("I have no desire to shed blood").
Ero-CamelDec 22, 2020 3:05 PM
Apr 18, 2021 8:55 AM
Oct 2019
not a great first episode
May 18, 2021 5:06 PM
Feb 2016
If this had been a new anime I probably would have dropped it — no, I would have given it the three-episodes-treatment.
Dozens of reviews have written that it gets a lot better after the first few episodes, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
Oh, and I agree that the MC is extremely hard on the nerves, but I suppose that will improve as well.
Aug 15, 2021 11:16 AM

Nov 2016
The prospect of going to another world fired Sugimoto up, lmao. But I'm sure Nakajima will undergo the most radical change in the long run.

Nice start. Pretty self explanatory what's going on for most parts, at least to us, the viewers. Nakajima on the other is understandably confused.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 23, 2022 9:32 AM
Nov 2020
Love this. It's old school isekai. You can see how she got into the other worls and that the process scared her.
Most isekai these days is jusy poof the hero is just there.
Nov 18, 2022 8:27 PM
May 2022
i like it its better than newer isekai nowaadays.
Mac
Nov 18, 2022 8:30 PM
May 2022
simo000 said:
honestly i was expecting yoko to be so much worse since so many people are like "OMG she's soooo annoying early on" but seriously she was just acting as any person would in such a situation. Why the fuck would you be pissed off with a character that acts as they should? Would you prefer her to calmly accept that there's a bunch of monsters and all this talk of going to another world? all in the space of like half an hour?

To be honest this is one of the best first episodes I've seen. Fast paced, introducing lots of shit you want the answers to, and most importantly it's unique.
you're right i dont understand why some people think she's annoying
Mac
Nov 18, 2022 8:36 PM
May 2022
Oni_Link said:
I have net to zero patience with this anime. The MC is dumb as fuck I gathered after the first two episodes. Can someone just tell me when she turns into a badass so I can skip to that episode. Otherwise this show is heading to the dropped list.

dont skip episodes
Mac
Nov 18, 2022 8:45 PM
May 2022
HagePotPotato said:
its great dude
Mac
Nov 20, 2022 8:27 PM
Oct 2019
MarkRyan13 said:
HagePotPotato said:
its great dude

that's nice that you liked it. i didn't. from what i recall i hated the mc. the end
Sep 5, 2023 8:11 PM

Feb 2010
Reply to Cloud_Illusions
Rewatching a second time certainly is rewarding. All the huhs, uhs and general clusterfuck of references and names make for better storytelling should you understand it.

Certainly because your brain goes into autopilot with all the lore, you can actually focus in on the immense character development that takes place every episode, as well as get a general picture of the psyche before and after when humans experience hardship, the bad way and the good way going about it. The quotes littered throughout this series are absolute gold. The characters leave a deep impression on you after you finish the series, they are certainly not your garden variety cardboard tropes. They are complicated, flawed human beings. Adversity does not change that, all you can do is dig deep and draw strength from your mentality which is what this show absolutely nails.

A very nuanced show that depicts the difference between pride and confidence, humillty and modesty, jealousy and envy, utilitarianism and kantism.

1) A few things resonated with me is the ironic depiction (given the settings) of the dangers of taking the easy way out of dreaming instead of doing, blaming others instead of looking inwards. After all, at the end of the day, all your crying and wailing will get no assistance from the rest of the world. Practically, you only have yourself to rely upon.
2) Treating others the way you choose to, period.
3) Backing yourself, even if it feels like you are disappointing the world.
4) There is a difference between ignoring recurrent pains in your life and believing yourself become stronger and actually trying to prevent the pain from occurring again, even if it hurts.

All these people ranting about how annoying Youko is lol, she's my second favourite character.
Rosny said:
Certainly because your brain goes into autopilot with all the lore, you can actually focus in on the immense character development that takes place every episode, as well as get a general picture of the psyche before and after when humans experience hardship, the bad way and the good way going about it.

I had to do it without knowing jack about the lore, and I doubt many are lore-wise about references even in Japan, but it's harder to do when you don't have an ear for those names for everything. Casual watcher should prepare for an immersion in being an alien in a strange world, which hardly any isekai would dare to make you go through. In retrospect I would say that the heroines are still too "good" to be considered realistic in my book, but the series does show more character development than most. I was greatly surprised that it has such a high score on MAL, but maybe it's because the show is rather obscure and mostly overlooked by imbeciles? Idk. It's not that I would rate it lower, it's that it doesn't have great graphics and animation, or great epic plot, or fan-service, or humor, or even great storytelling. For me it's a love-hate thing, as I don't really like the setting or the plot, but I was sympathetic enough for the characters, and I like mature themes and character development. And I suppose if you bear with an anime for 40+ episodes you may start finding reasons to like it (a bit of a Stockholm syndrome).
burbelsSep 5, 2023 8:14 PM
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Jan 12, 8:47 AM

May 2022
I actually really liked it. the slow motion when she beheaded (not really) that crow was so fucking badass. MC's reactions are normal and any sane individual would react the same way. Parents, teacher and classmates are all assholes. Artstyle is fuckin great even though animation is quite dodgy at times. 9/10
Apr 1, 1:25 PM
Mar 2019
I don't know how I've never heard of this before. I liked the line, "What's here for you anyway?" She is right.
Apr 20, 9:59 PM

Jul 2021
Reminds me of Rayearth and Inuyasha, dont mind the protag too, her reactions are pretty realistic if anything, gives me Shinji vibes ngl
AzafuseKingToraApr 20, 10:03 PM
Apr 27, 12:22 PM

Dec 2022
Bullied for having a subdued, chestnut hair colour in a setting where other shades of brown and red already seem reasonably common? Besides, as far as I know, there isn't any stigma against ginger hair in Japan, let alone a stigma against Youko's hair shade, which has a colouration more like burgundy or crimson. If anything, I'm sure it'd be seen as exotic and intriguing in Japan.

The beasts this guy summoned really should've been able to kill that eagle demon, especially after no less than two of them managed to get a hold on its neck. Raptorial birds prefer an ambush scenario when taking on other animals, with their talons being their only real weapon while grounded. If something bypasses the bird's talons and get a hold directly on its neck, then how did it survive?

On the other hand, the scenery is impressive, especially during the scene on the harbour around the end of the episode.
Archean-ReturnApr 27, 7:56 PM

Shaded Horizon

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 45 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Predseln - Mar 19, 2009

66 by Archean-Return »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 44 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 26, 2009

17 by Archean-Return »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 43 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 26, 2009

11 by Archean-Return »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 41 Discussion

Beatnik - Mar 28, 2008

13 by Archean-Return »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 37 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 17, 2009

22 by Archean-Return »»
Yesterday, 4:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.