Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (112) « First ... « 37 38 [39] 40 41 » ... Last »
May 3, 2012 1:21 PM

Mar 2010
Oh o.o' I see.. didn't know about that :[

Now I'm a bit confused as MAL tells me the manga ist still publishing.. do you know if they just catch up with the Novel or something? :/
May 3, 2012 1:51 PM

Aug 2011
Maybe someone else picked it up to continue it. After finishing the anime I wasn't satisfied and looked around for more info. I read somewhere, that there just wasn't enough source material to be able to really finish the story the way the creator wanted it to finish.
May 3, 2012 5:06 PM

Apr 2011
wow on like episode 10 of chrno crusade.. azamariel or whatever her name is is so damn annoying.. i hate that character stereotype in anime
May 3, 2012 6:37 PM
Apr 2012
I didn't manage to get to Steamboy today.

Have almost finished Black Rock Shooter. It pulls a The Stand, and completely changes tack halfway through. Very annoying.

The first four episodes have the strongest character examination and development I've seen in any anime, yet. The next three episodes focus pretty much exclusively on the supernatural element ... and that kind of ruins what makes the anime special.

7/10, with one episode to go.

Also, I dropped Ultra Maniac. The introductory OVA gave the impression that the series would be more interesting (that is, less cliche) than it actually is.

On to Steamboy and the rest of Deadman Wonderland tomorrow!
OofMay 3, 2012 6:41 PM
"Holy shit I can't remember how I got to your page but thank you so much for posting that Clannad piano video it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard thank you I fucking love you man"

XD
May 3, 2012 6:55 PM

Apr 2011
let me know what you think of deadman wonderland, ive been really hesitant about that one based on the reviews
May 3, 2012 7:41 PM

Aug 2009
Lotus97 said:
Interesting discussion. I vote we make thought-provoking-ness a word and I like the idea of teaching your cat to fetch the newspaper.

Hahan, the best thing I've read today :D

First suggestion can easily be done, but second...well, as I said, it would be as futile as net arguing.

On the question of Deadman Wonderland, I think it's quite flawed (I gave it a 6), but at least it manages to be entertaining. Also, like many one cour anime, it suffers from its length.
Oh, and for anyone planning to watch it, prepare for another whiny MC.
May 3, 2012 7:48 PM

Aug 2011
I found Deadman Wonderland the perfect specimen for an anime based on an ongoing manga, which therefore just does not have
a. an ending at all or
b. a fucking stupid ending with no real connection to anything,

because they just had to finish it in the standard season episode format.
May 3, 2012 8:04 PM

Aug 2009
furuabes said:
I found Deadman Wonderland the perfect specimen for an anime based on an ongoing manga

IKR!
Why they keep doing such adaptations is beyond me!
May 3, 2012 9:27 PM

Apr 2012
Just finished Buta from the 2011 Young Animators Training Project. It is pretty good. The future of anime looks to be in good hands at least for this animator. There was a character in it that is a pig (a la Porco Rosso) who is a samurai. He is, I think intentionally, patterned after one of Toshiro Mifune's samurai characters. Quit funny. The other title I watched was a Chinese anime titled Port of Return. It was about letting go of attachments. A bit philosophy and religion. It's a little disjointed at first, but gets better as it moves along. I think it may be available at nyaa and BakaBT. I also started, but could not finish Munto TV season 1. Only 9 episodes but after 3 I still didn't "get it" so I dropped it. Escaflowne is 10 times as good.
May 4, 2012 4:18 AM
Apr 2012
Furykury1 said:
The other title I watched was a Chinese anime titled Port of Return. It was about letting go of attachments. A bit philosophy and religion. It's a little disjointed at first, but gets better as it moves along. I think it may be available at nyaa and BakaBT.

There is such a thing as Chinese anime? I'll give it a go. I like philosophy.

bb, I'm already getting fed up with Deadman Wonderland.

Lots-of-Text spoiler.

Disappointing. A lot. I didn't realise I enjoyed the first two episodes so much that the underwhelming-ness of later episodes could inspire a rant. XP

Maybe it improves. :(
"Holy shit I can't remember how I got to your page but thank you so much for posting that Clannad piano video it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard thank you I fucking love you man"

XD
May 4, 2012 5:47 AM

Mar 2010
Only seen one episode of Deadman Wonderland.. then decided to stick with the manga, which I like pretty good. Even though the story is well, extreme somewhat.

As far as I remember I also didn't like the animation.. it was kind of plain and boring.
May 4, 2012 7:23 AM

Apr 2012
Oof Said:

There is such a thing as Chinese anime? I'll give it a go. I like philosophy.

You didn't know that? Princess Iron Fan, which is listed on MAL was made in 1941. I'll warn you tho, the audio on it is bad, but worth the watch. Find it on BakaBT. There are a couple of others I've watched, but don't recall the titles at this time. The language difference is quite noticeable. BTW, there was I time I couldn't tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese. But listening to Japanese dialogue for nearly 8 years has changed that. I'm comfortable listening to Japanese (even know quite a few words now), but not comfortable with Chinese.

Edit: Just remembered a title. Kung-Fu Cooking Girls. It's short and quite funny. Find it also at BakaBT.
May 4, 2012 8:51 AM

Mar 2010
furuabes said:
Maybe someone else picked it up to continue it. After finishing the anime I wasn't satisfied and looked around for more info. I read somewhere, that there just wasn't enough source material to be able to really finish the story the way the creator wanted it to finish.

thx for the info :/

started watching Devil May Cry.. oh well.. I was somewhat amused by the episodes I've seen so far, but I doubt that was what the makers intended :P
also started watching The law of Ueki.. liking it so far :3
May 4, 2012 2:45 PM
Apr 2012
Furykury, thanks for the recommendations.

Finished Deadman Wonderland. You know what? It's a fun show. A lot of it doesn't make sense, and it tries to do too much, and it's very rocky in the middle, but toward the end it hits its stride. And there are some interesting (expected, but interesting) developments that I think will make for a good second season. You just have to try not to think about the show. Take it at face value. I'm not sure it deserves the rating, but because it's so enjoyable, it gets a 7/10.

Halfway through Steamboy I was interrupted, so I wasn't able to finish it. No verdict on it, yet ...

Honey and Clover is novel. I like it. Yes, the story meanders a lot, but that's life. RL people don't have a coherent narrative structure to their lives, either. :P The series is a skilled blend of the real and the surreal. And it's a fun romp.

XD
May 4, 2012 3:08 PM

Apr 2012
Oof says: Furykury, thanks for the recommendations.

Do itashimashite!
May 4, 2012 5:44 PM

Apr 2011
I liked Honey and Clover, but I thought it was slow at times.
May 4, 2012 8:06 PM

Apr 2012
I just finished Murder Princess. I gotta admit that it was better than I expected. It's standard Funny-mation fare and I expected an average series...it was actually a 6.5, so it'll get a 7 on my list. It was worth the watch....but only once. Edit: This wasn't Funi's version, it was subbed.
KnightRyderMay 4, 2012 10:34 PM
May 5, 2012 9:39 AM

Mar 2010
Finished Gintama'.. and I just don't like it :[ I really loved the first 201 episodes but the new one were just disappointing :[
May 5, 2012 10:21 AM
Apr 2012
Steamboy = 8. It's the anime equivalent of a really good summer blockbuster.

If anyone has Canvas (the OVA) in their PTW list, don't bother. Very boring, very cliche harem and etchi setup. 3. (I might even slide it down to a 2 ...)

I watched 10 minutes of an episode of Canvas 2 (the series) to decide whether it deserves a watch, and it seems a lot better than the OVA, so if you were to choose one to watch, of the two I'd recommend the series.

XD
May 5, 2012 10:58 AM

Apr 2012
Oof, hey, if you watch any of those Chinese animations I told you about, please let me know what you thought of them. K, Arigatou.
May 5, 2012 11:03 AM
Apr 2012
FK, I've already used up most of my bandwidth for the month o.O so they'll have to wait until next month. I'm definitely planning on watching them, so I'll let you know when I do.

XD
May 5, 2012 1:15 PM

Mar 2010
Finished Umi Monogatari. Liked it, even though it's a bit "too" emotional and sensitive regarding what I usually watch. ^^
May 6, 2012 12:54 PM

Apr 2012
Watching a rather slow moving Nabari No Ou. 11 episodes in and this is another standard Funny-mation fare story. I'm watching subbed so it probably is better than the dub. Not too impressed as yet, but 15 eps to go, so......
May 6, 2012 1:10 PM

Aug 2009
Wathed two short episodes of Sakasama no Patema: Beginning of the Day. They're basically a prologue/preview to Sakasama no Patema, the upcoming movie from the director of Pale Cocoon and Eve no Jikan.
All I can say after watching them is: can't wait for the movie!
metamorphiusMay 6, 2012 1:14 PM
May 6, 2012 1:25 PM

Oct 2011
deadman wonderland is like my favorite anime! i agree it shouldve been a never-ending anime and that hurt it alot. BUT IS IT NOT STILL AMAZING?1 gah back up off me jerks! my opinion sticks, deadman wonderland 11/10. HOWS THAT RATING!!

May 6, 2012 1:37 PM
Apr 2012
It should've been a never-ending anime? Why? I think never-ending anime always suffer for their never-ending-ness.

Deadman Wonderland was fairly good. I ended up enjoying it more than Naruto -- in part because there was no space for pointless filler.

Finally dropped Fortune Arterial at episode 8. Normally when I'm this far in, I just power through to the end, but it's sooo irredeemably tedious that I just can't.

Now watching Spriggan.

XD
May 6, 2012 2:19 PM

Apr 2012
Oof, I remembered another Chinese Anime....Jang Geum's Dream, which I have but not watched yet.
May 6, 2012 2:54 PM

Jan 2012
Oof said:
Finally dropped Fortune Arterial at episode 8. Normally when I'm this far in, I just power through to the end, but it's sooo irredeemably tedious that I just can't.

It's funny how I thought FA was a masterpiece back in the day. I had only seen 4 other series prior to FA (Wangan Midnight, Death Note, Shugo Chara, and Air TV) so I didn't know any better. Nowadays, all I remember is that it looked good animation-wise. Can't remember much else about it. Oh well, so much for FA being a "masterpiece" lol
May 6, 2012 3:04 PM

Aug 2011
Fortune Arterial ... mmh, I remember. That was a good one. A good one for emptying your stomach in under 5 seconds without effort !

You know ...sometimes when they shamelessly play out the Joker-boob card, I fall for it and like something for the greater boob. But this one even made Rosario + Vampire look like a piece of art.

Ah true stylef1re. It's so sad. The more you watch, the more you get disappointed :-(
furuabesMay 6, 2012 3:11 PM
May 6, 2012 3:14 PM

Apr 2012
metamorphius said:
Wathed two short episodes of Sakasama no Patema: Beginning of the Day. They're basically a prologue/preview to Sakasama no Patema, the upcoming movie from the director of Pale Cocoon and Eve no Jikan.
All I can say after watching them is: can't wait for the movie!

Me too!!!!
May 6, 2012 3:32 PM

Jan 2012
furuabes said:
Ah true stylef1re. It's so sad. The more you watch, the more you get disappointed :-(

I know man! Sometimes, I wish I didn't know any better. Shows like Clannad, Ef, and Steins;Gate set the bar too high for me. I've watched quite a few shows and haven't found anything remotely close to my top five, although Aria and Sola have come close. Still looking for something else that will blow me away, something worth dropping a 10 on.
StyleF1reMay 6, 2012 3:36 PM
May 6, 2012 3:39 PM

Apr 2012
StyleFIre, have you watched Haibane Renmai? It is a great slice of life story.
May 6, 2012 3:45 PM

Aug 2011
I guess that's the reason I still have not watched Legend of Galactic Heroes yet. It's nice to know that there is still something out there I haven't watched yet, that will blow me out of the water :-)
May 6, 2012 3:58 PM

Jan 2012
Furykury1 said:
StyleFIre, have you watched Haibane Renmai? It is a great slice of life story.

Yeah, I saw that one. I especially liked the latter half when the focus of the show shifted to Reki, but couldn't score the show high overall because of, imo, a painfully slow start coupled with an uninspiring supporting cast. Regardless of rating it only a 7, it's one of the more unique and memorable anime I've seen.
May 6, 2012 4:08 PM

Aug 2009
When you're just getting into anime (or anything else, for that matter), everything is novel and exciting. As you watch more anime, you become increasingly aware of the cliches/tropes/asspuls/flaws in direction etc. and the tolerance towards them decreases. You start to rate harsher (at least I see that tendency in myself) and usually become pickier with what you watch.
However, I would never want to go back to the time of 'ignorance', when I didn't know better. Having some experience with anime means I know my tastes better so I don't have to plough through random shit (fuck, I watched Rosario Vampire - both seasons, for crying out loud - when I was new to the world of anime) until I stumble upon sth I like.
And, while it is true that most of the anime are mediocre, I believe still have plenty of (hopefully) great stuff on my ptw list - like Cowboy Bebop, Monster, Planetes, Gankutsou, Gungrave, Mars of Destruction etc. I deliberately don't want to watch them all at once, but rather savour them slowly. Speaking of the great stuff, I'm currently watching LOGH and Samurai Champloo. Also, every now and then, a new anime that can compete with the best appears and those rare moments remind me why I got into anime in the first place.
metamorphiusMay 6, 2012 4:14 PM
May 6, 2012 4:18 PM

Apr 2012
Meta, I have to agree with you. When I started, I watched everything. I have an extensive PTW list , too, but I seriously doubt I'll finish more than 10% of it. The rest will end up dropped after a few episodes. Heck, I do that now. I've stopped so many series in mid-stream and moved on, never to go back to them.
May 6, 2012 4:25 PM

Jan 2012
@meta

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I thought of shows like Fortune Arterial and Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi as the equivalent of Clannad back when I was starting out. Heck, I even watched Happiness! just because it was called "Happiness!" Man, I've come a long way from the scrub days...
May 6, 2012 4:42 PM

Aug 2011
You forget the boobs !
May 6, 2012 4:56 PM

Apr 2012
@Style

It's important to grow with anything I'm interested in. In the early days, I loved series like Maburaho, Tenjho Tenge, and that ilk. Funny, I still get a laugh out of Maburaho, tho. But today, series like Clannad, ef, Aria are the ones that really tell an excellent story. Leave the boobies, love triangle comedys, most mecha to the newbies.
May 7, 2012 12:12 AM
Apr 2012
It's interesting to read about how other people thought of anime before shows like Clannad.

I was really into "serious" live-action and books before I started watching anime, so I guess I have different expectations of entertainment than a lot of people. Before Clannad, the only anime I'd really watched was Naruto, and that only because an ex- was really fond of it. If I hadn't given Clannad (or something of a similar calibre) a try, I probably wouldn't be watching anime today. I'd have missed out on some good stuff.

For now, I watch anime almost exclusively. Live-action doesn't really have much new to offer anymore. Anime does. (And I don't have time to read, like I used to.)

Furykury1 said:
Oof, I remembered another Chinese Anime....Jang Geum's Dream, which I have but not watched yet.

Added to PTW!

I see we scored Spriggan the same. It is ... it's all right for a lazy morning with a bowl of popcorn and some friends, I guess. I think my 12-year-old self would have been all over it. It's a really 90s action sci-fi.

XD
May 7, 2012 2:07 AM

Mar 2010
Oof said:
It should've been a never-ending anime? Why? I think never-ending anime always suffer for their never-ending-ness.

The only never ending anime I still love is One Piece. <3

Even though there are a lot anime with stereotypes, there are also a lot anime that surprise me with being different to what I had imagined after reading the description or just from seeing a picture and the genres (as I don't usually read descriptions :p). Even if that being different only shows in details.
May 7, 2012 3:50 PM

Apr 2011
I'm watching the first filler arc of Naruto Shippuden. The first episode had a few funny parts. The next few episodes were ok, but I'm afraid it's going to drag on too long by the end. Oh yeah, and there's a tranny so that's always fun.
Lotus97May 7, 2012 4:40 PM
May 7, 2012 4:07 PM

Aug 2011
Hel said:
Oof said:

The only never ending anime I still love is One Piece. <3

Even though there are a lot anime with stereotypes, there are also a lot anime that surprise me with being different to what I had imagined after reading the description or just from seeing a picture and the genres (as I don't usually read descriptions :p). Even if that being different only shows in details.

If One Piece were to end too soon, I would shed a tear of sorrow and cut out parts of my brain, so I could watch it in the state of One-Piece-Virginity all over again, not knowing anything about it. And I'm not even halfway through yet :-D
May 7, 2012 11:10 PM

Mar 2010
Ahahaha xD I think that will never happen xD I rather think I'd die before it finishes :P and I'm not that old yet?!? xD

Halfway through eh.. I've been reading One Piece for about 7-8 years, but I only watched the anime just recently, in January/February this year. I finished it in rather short time I think xD I so love this anime <3
May 8, 2012 5:18 AM

Aug 2011
Yeah, I'm trying hard to not watch too many episodes at once, but there are days when I forget the time and 20 episodes go by in an instant :-)
May 8, 2012 7:17 AM

Feb 2012
I'm also following One Piece for 8 Years now but the anime. Not the manga reader yet but might get to it. This can go on for 8 more years! :)

Watching Ano Natsu de Matteru right now and enjoying it so far.
May 8, 2012 7:26 AM

Apr 2012
Finished Nabari no Ou....not a very good story or characters except Raimei. Neo Ranga? Don't bother...artwork suffers and story is blah. Ninja Nonsense...too loud, boisterous and lousy. Now watching Nyan Koi. I haven't laughed after 2 eps, so this may end up in the trash pile.
May 8, 2012 11:10 AM
Apr 2012
Don't have much time but when I can I'm still watching some Honey and Clover. It really suits my mood of late. It's good.

The important thing with shows like this (even more so than other, non-slice-of-life series; and even other, less serious slice-of-life series) is that you don't rush through it. It's not about what happens, so much as how and why it happens, so if you go through the series in one sitting, you'll be left with the impression that nothing's happening, or that it's much ado about nothing.

XD
May 8, 2012 11:42 AM

Apr 2011
Oof said:
Don't have much time but when I can I'm still watching some Honey and Clover. It really suits my mood of late. It's good.

The important thing with shows like this (even more so than other, non-slice-of-life series; and even other, less serious slice-of-life series) is that you don't rush through it. It's not about what happens, so much as how and why it happens, so if you go through the series in one sitting, you'll be left with the impression that nothing's happening, or that it's much ado about nothing.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I wish I didn't go through Code Geass so quickly.
May 8, 2012 11:52 AM

Aug 2009
Oof said:

I quite agree. When watching H'n'C and similar shows I never have urge to marathon them even if I enjoy them (which I very much did in case of H'n'C). They are much more about characters than plot. Plus, watching them slowly leaves more place for thinking.

Lotus97 said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I wish I didn't go through Code Geass so quickly

Imo, Code Geass is completely different in its nature and approach from SOL anime like Honey and Clover. It's much more...'marathonable' xD
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (112) « First ... « 37 38 [39] 40 41 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What Are You Listening to? + All About the Music! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Corsair857 - Jun 2, 2011

3583 by Elanin »»
Dec 22, 2023 3:31 AM

Sticky: » Hi!I am... :) ~ Introductions ~ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeUndone - Mar 12, 2011

5705 by tamilanime »»
Jun 19, 2022 4:05 AM

Sticky: » Administrators' lounge [closed for members] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeUndone - Aug 22, 2011

361 by Lotus97 »»
Jun 17, 2022 12:02 PM

» [GAME] You're Banned! v. 7.0 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Uuh - Dec 12, 2015

8529 by Pyro »»
May 12, 2022 4:21 AM

» [GAME] First Thing That Pops Up In Your Mind V. 3.0 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Arianna - Mar 20, 2016

3543 by Pyro »»
May 12, 2022 12:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.