Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 9, 2010 12:48 PM

May 2008
NOTE: THIS DISCUSSION WILL INCLUDE DETAILS FROM WHATEVER THE LATEST SUBBED EPISODE IS CURRENTLY.

So, one of the reoccuring debates that seem to spring up in every episode discussion thread is around Inami Mahiru. It seems like the fanbase is strictly divided when it comes to her character traits; i.e., her "manphobia", resulting in random physical abuse to Takanashi (and occaisonally Souma), and her conflicted feelings for Takanashi while she dishes out the undeserved punishment. I felt that all this opinionated talk deserved its own thread, so let's have it. Why do you like or hate Mahiru? Do you think her personality is justified because of the reasons revealed in episode 9? Do you think her "problems" are getting better as the series goes on? Is she better or worse than other abusive female characters like Naru Narusegawa from Love Hina or Kaname Chidori from Full Metal Panic? Do you think anime is "sexist" for the apparent tolerance of female characters abusing males, and the taboo of males being abusive to females? etc.

I'm pretty sure life is a tsundere...
Jun 9, 2010 11:39 PM
Nov 2007
I think you're thinking too much about it, lol.
Jun 9, 2010 11:48 PM

Jun 2010
Granted I hated her well since she came out, but episode 9 kinda eased it, plus also her conflicting emotions, now she is just another over the top tsundere 'sigh'. As for your abusive and sexist comparisons is dissecting it too much, if anything its become more cliche than anything, in any genre really, but still I do get your message. I just think using a character like Inami isnt a very good example, her highlight is her emotional dysfunction.
Jun 10, 2010 12:13 AM

Apr 2008
At least she has a justified reason to hit the male protagonist instead of being a stock lolshittytsundere.
Jun 22, 2010 11:03 PM

Feb 2008
To be quite honest, I am not too sure she fits the tsundere label very well at all. She is pretty shy all in all. She just has a 'problem'

Jun 23, 2010 10:15 PM

May 2007
She is a tsundere alright.

But she is a MODERN tsundere. Thats why she is annoying;

The problem is, people who don't find her cute, simply will pick the first apparent problem to use as a excuse to "hate" her.

Those are better off dead, but lets just skip this part.

I seriously dislike her, not by she is, nor by what she has, but by what she represents.
Her total lack of effort to actually cure her phobia is pathetic, and seriously ridiculous.
Meaning she uses of excuses to protect herself, and blames on other people because other people get pissed off by being beaten by her. What kind of logic is that!?

Also, she represents the not-so-new wave of female leads that beat up man for no reason.
Sadly the animes getting aired lately are making not only the protags take the beating as if it was normal, but showing the protag liking it! (Not the case on Working, but you don't need to go too far to find an anime like that).
What the hell is that?!

Why every damned male lead must be masochist!?
Seriously!

Back on what Inami represents:

She doesn't represent feminism! God, if feminism was just the idea of punching man freely, then only god knows where the hell humanity would head to..

I bet 100 dollars that if there ever was an anime where the male lead had gymnophobia and beat females that approached him, even if not on propose, out of nowhere, we would have about a fuck thousand of people filling lawsuits, burning offices and etc.
Jun 24, 2010 6:24 AM
Jul 2018
Ryushi said:

I bet 100 dollars that if there ever was an anime where the male lead had gymnophobia and beat females that approached him, even if not on propose, out of nowhere, we would have about a fuck thousand of people filling lawsuits, burning offices and etc.

I dont think they would get sued, but alot of complaints would be sent and they would be put off air or never allowed to show it. They simply do not want to encourage men beating women and seem to deem it as the greatest problem of today. Why? because of all other things that they dont want to encourage (drugs, violence etc etc) woman beating seem alot more taboo and therefore its a "bigger" social problem.

meh i might be overthinking it
Aug 30, 2010 5:19 AM

Jul 2008
I like how u titled the thread
"the problem of inami mahiru" instead of "the problem inami mahiru has"
subtle

but seriously, her screentime sees too much recycling. I found her annoying after a while.

Aug 30, 2010 8:12 PM

May 2010
negative1111 said:
Ryushi said:

I dont think they would get sued, but alot of complaints would be sent and they would be put off air or never allowed to show it. They simply do not want to encourage men beating women and seem to deem it as the greatest problem of today. Why? because of all other things that they dont want to encourage (drugs, violence etc etc) woman beating seem alot more taboo and therefore its a "bigger" social problem.

Elfen Lied?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 13, 2010 10:28 AM
Jul 2018
Confucius said:
negative1111 said:
Ryushi said:

Elfen Lied?

did they air that?
Jul 21, 2014 6:19 AM

Jul 2012
I don't like her and think she is a danger to the workplace and should be fired.
Aug 7, 2014 6:57 AM

Jul 2011
Guys getting bashed up was never funny. I don't get why it was ever used in comedy and even if it was funny, it's getting a bit too old.

I just don't like how Working has a beautiful cast of unique and quirky characters, each with their own interesting characteristic, and then there's Inami, whose one single stand out thing is an old, annoying, girl bashing guys trait. If you take that from her, then she's nothing; and I just find that really disappointing, because everyone else is so refreshing to watch.
Tumblr: Gigglepud
My one rec for anyone who likes good storytelling: Play Zero Escape/Ai the Somnium Files
Oct 2, 2014 9:39 PM

Jul 2012
AbyssGhost said:
I don't like her and think she is a danger to the workplace and should be fired.

I thought the same thing but she was pretty cute in the second season when she started hitting people less.
Aug 23, 2015 12:56 PM

Apr 2009
negative1111 said:
Ryushi said:

Maybe because men are generally physically stronger than women? Maybe it also has to do with the asian way of thinking, that men should never hit women, because real men don't do that and and the "be nice/lenient to the weak" or sth?

anyway, there's too much using of this kind of girl-beats-guy-and-that's-funny formula as comedic relief. I've always thought that but in Working!! it has taken on an other level of annoyance for me. So I could never warm up to Inami, in the first season at least. I'm watching S2 now, and they toned down that side of her a bit. But still, she's not an interesting character to watch, compared to the other characters.
Sep 18, 2021 2:58 PM

Nov 2013
Her personality is indeed justified. And I think that she's better than the mentioned characters and, yes, she does get better. She's also better than Souta's sisters.

If it's about being fired, she wouldn't be the first on the list in that regard.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jun 28, 2022 10:56 AM

Oct 2018
Ichijo_feast said:
Do you think her "problems" are getting better as the series goes on? Is she better or worse than other abusive female characters like Naru Narusegawa from Love Hina or Kaname Chidori from Full Metal Panic?

Totally agree with this, Inami Mahiru is such a one-note/dimensional character based on a singular tired trope. I found Naru Narusegawa immensely tiring in Love Hina for the very same reason, she lacked any exciting character dynamics and her characterization was solely built on being violent toward Keitaro. I found myself far more interested in the layered/quirky personality of Mutsumi Otohime in Love Hina, much the same way I found piqued interest in the secondary characters in Working!! (who don't really get much exposure or deeper development compared to the MCs). It's tragic, because minus Inami's incredibly bland character, the show had some potential to be funny and charming, but is weighed down with this complete fizzle of a female MC and her lacklustre development. Makes me wonder if the spinoff series www.Working!! would be better because it has a new cast of characters free of this entirely mediocre female MC.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Working!! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

guyklc - May 2, 2010

114 by chiwila »»
Apr 17, 5:07 AM

Poll: » Working!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

francismeunier - Apr 11, 2010

173 by MR-Isekai »»
Jan 7, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Working!! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 27, 2010

267 by waalex11 »»
Sep 12, 2023 8:18 PM

Poll: » Working!! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Jakeki - May 9, 2010

131 by Illyasviel »»
Apr 18, 2023 1:43 PM

Poll: » Working!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Nakei - Mar 6, 2010

238 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 12, 2023 3:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.