Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 18, 2014 8:22 AM
Aug 2013
One of my favorites episode without doubt, and the tears of happiness came!
Looking forward for more
Mar 3, 2014 7:50 PM

Mar 2012
CAN'T STOP CRYING
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Mar 29, 2014 4:30 PM

Nov 2013
WOW, didn't see it coming, even more surprisingly in aria
omedetou Alice-chan!
inochi ga kurikaesu naraba nandomo kimi no moto e ...
... if life can be repeated, i'll go to you many times over
Apr 7, 2014 6:25 AM

Oct 2010
That was amazing. Alice's song had me in tears. Best episode yet!
Apr 19, 2014 9:44 AM

Sep 2012
That was... that was beautiful. ;-;
May 2, 2014 9:24 AM

Oct 2011
God damn it, i am totally speechless with this episode.
i am very excited when i think alice became a single, and then athena remove alice's other glove. "What the... Holly shie... OMG". Nobody expect alice is the first one to became a prima undine.
apalagiMay 2, 2014 9:32 AM
May 4, 2014 6:10 AM

Nov 2013
I like how they completely surprised me with the second glove. From the beginning I thought it was just a gonna be beautiful episode with her first promotion for Alice, and then the magic happen, Athena pulls the second glove and I'm like "What? Whaaaat?"

5/5
Jun 12, 2014 2:02 AM

Aug 2010
Jesus Christ I'm bawling my eyes out over here!

It was one thing to finally see someone becoming a single, but to think Alice would just skip to being a prima...absolutely heartwarming.

The show did justice to Alice's growth both psychically and mentally, I genuinely felt happy for her as if I had known her throughout all these years. Marvelous episode, absolutely beautiful. Prima/10.
Aug 28, 2014 2:29 PM

Jul 2010
Really beautiful episode.
“Are there some unseen roles that we have unknowingly set ourselves into, dictating the rules of engagement whenever we see each other, inevitably leading to us hurting each other?”
Oct 31, 2014 7:33 AM

Nov 2013
Godlike episode. 7 and 8 were just a build-up to this, and they were very good on their own.

I'm glad that I kept watching Aria, it looks like this season will reward me for my patience.
Nov 18, 2014 9:19 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
First time, i legitimately cried for minutes since Clannad After Story.
Jan 23, 2015 1:50 PM

Jul 2014
kokusho36 said:
Godlike episode. 7 and 8 were just a build-up to this, and they were very good on their own.

If I could I would give this episode 12/10 :D
I was expecting promotion to Single but not to Prima :O

After watching this I think Akari will be the last one to get promotion to Prima.
Feb 3, 2015 4:07 PM

Mar 2012
ImmahJosh said:
CAN'T STOP CRYING
This episode is was even more beautiful the second time around. I actually cry every time.

GO ALICE GO!
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Feb 17, 2015 10:08 AM

Oct 2014
The moment you know MAL's rating system is flawed is when you want to rate an episode 6/5, but MAL only give maximum option to 5/5.

As for the episode...

No... just... no. This is my first time seeing Origination. Before, I've read Aria the manga and on the last 15/last 10 chapters, I either puke rainbow in wonder, or crying an ocean especially at Alice-chan's promotion and.. uhm... the last chapter. According to my calculation, I should not shed a tear and able to compose myself better when watching the anime, cos I already read the manga!

So why the hell I still shed tears at this episode!? WHY!?

No... just... no. I'm a man. I'M A FRIGGIN' MAN!

HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Mar 12, 2015 9:56 AM

May 2010
Ah man, I was trembling while watching the last few minutes... Alice got promoted first in a single go! Such a powerful scene. This episode was legendary.
May 6, 2015 2:58 PM

Nov 2013
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 13, 2015 6:07 AM

Dec 2013
This episode was absolutely beautiful! I knew she was going to get promoted, but not to a Prima :')
Jun 7, 2015 3:49 PM

May 2012
this anime is so fucking beautiful, and peaceful and touching, i have never felt so happy to the point of tears while watching an anime (at least not in a log while), i was literally crying almost the entire episode after i realized where they were headed, i didn't expect the grade jump though, oh were the tears falling, absolutely beautiful.

Smudy said:
First time, i legitimately cried for minutes since Clannad After Story.

+1
Jun 26, 2015 11:38 PM

Feb 2015
Athena taking off Alice's gloves gave me goosebumps. Great episode.
Jul 8, 2015 6:16 PM

Mar 2014
This is it. I can't... No. I decided to read the whole Aria manga before starting to watch the final season, so I knew that this scene will eventually happen. And I was so afraid of seeing this particular moment animated, that it took me quite a long time until I had the guts to watch Origination.

There couldn't be a better build-up like this. All the little hints from Athena, from her idea of Alice "playing an Undine" to the picnic and all the other small things to the "Do your best!" from the Himeya Undine, I enjoyed every single second. Everyone knows what will happen when Alice is going to enter the lock...

And then, the greatest moment of anime history comes on screen. The canzone was more beautiful than I ever could imagine, in combination with the orange sunset, which the manga couldn't deliver. The feelings when Athena removed one glove, making Alice a Pair.. and the surprise and the incredible joy when Athena took the second, making Alice a new legend amongst all Undines. I lost it, really. I cried like I never did before, not because of sorrow, but of bliss.

I had few doubts about giving Origination 10/10, but this episode finally nailed it down. I have to re-organise all my previous ratings to match this wonderful piece of art and joy. I will never regret watching this, not a single second.

The series is about to end... The happiness won't linger...
Jul 30, 2015 3:11 PM
Jun 2014
While it was a good episode on paper, i can't help but feel it was off in some ways. Alice is still way too childish, and should be a single until she's a bit more mature, and the way she just overcame all her weaknesses in a flash just felt odd as well.
Sep 22, 2015 8:42 AM

Aug 2011
Stormen said:
While it was a good episode on paper, i can't help but feel it was off in some ways. Alice is still way too childish, and should be a single until she's a bit more mature, and the way she just overcame all her weaknesses in a flash just felt odd as well.

Exactly what's on my mind too.
Alice's still too childish proven by how she show less respect to her senior at previous episode.. (Stil remember the torn-letter part?)
I can understand and predict her to become a single, but to become a prima, it's jut many responsibilities waiting ahead. But Oh! at least this show is start to progress. Can't wait to see til they are all becoming a Prima.

**☾**
Oct 3, 2015 11:18 AM

Feb 2015
Wow, a beautiful episode. I kind of teared up a bit there, so exciting to see Alice has become a prima, can't wait for Akari and Aika to receive their promotions soon.
Nov 10, 2015 12:36 PM

Aug 2015
Deffintly my favourite episode so far. I expected the promotion the minute Athena wanted Alice to take her on a tour.. Just didn't expect the double promotion at all.

I always thought it was Alice going to be the first to become a prima, since she is well talented. I would've liked to see some training in previous episodes, so I could get an idea of how much further Alice was ahead of the other girls. Also hopping we get to see the others sing when their promoted.

I'm hoping Akari's promotion lives up to that. Sent chills up my spine. Was wondering why there's been so much Alice and Athena development before this.

5/5
Nov 12, 2015 2:53 AM
Nov 2014
Congratulation, Kohai-chan!
Nov 13, 2015 6:37 AM

Aug 2015
Why is this episode so good, best episode of the whole series so far. From the time Alice was singing, can't help but shed a manly tears of joy for the 1st time since Gurren Lagann because of her becoming a Prima and sadness because she can barely meet her senpais now that that she's a Prima now. Anyway congrats Kohai-chan.
Nov 17, 2015 5:01 AM
Aug 2011
Wow I definitely saw the promotion coming but I was shocked at the double promotion.
I was stunned as soon as Athena grabbed Alice's other hand. That plus the singing was really lovely, my tears wouldn't stop tbh.

One thing that Aria didn't make very clear to me is what set of rules or conditions (if any) apply to promotions, exams, etc.
A lot of it just seems made up as it progresses, but hey, that allows for better surprises like this so i'm not complaining.

Vitka_Lynx said:
I had to think it over, if Alice really deserved it more than her senpais... A bit disappointed, because it wasn't obvious for me that her skills were that great.

I know this comment is really old but there were hints other than verbal ones that Alice was far more skilled than she should have been.
For example there was an episode earlier (can't remember which one) where the 3 girls were out practicing and Alice does a little maneuver whilst rowing and you see Aika pause/stare at her while thinking silently something along the lines about how Alice had great control.

Surely someone else remembers this specific scene in way better detail than I have.
Nov 25, 2015 9:10 PM

Nov 2010
Oh, Wooooooooow, Alice chan <333333
This was such a beautiful episode. i just wanna go ahead watch it again.
Dec 9, 2015 9:23 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Best episode ever. Orange Princess finally becomes a Prima. I had a feeling Alice would become Prima first but double promotion, now that's surprising. And it's the first time seeing the higher ups. Sadly Alice will have less time to be with her friends. She's now a Prima and like all Primas, their work increases. Alicia Akira and Athena don't see each other often.

The scenery during their picnic was beautiful. Country side Neo-Venenzia.

Jan 4, 2016 1:05 AM

Aug 2008
OMG! Finally. Been waiting for this moment since Aria the Animation. Alice is finally a Prima. Yes, easily the best episode ever. I actually forgot that Alice is not a Single yet.
ZapredonJan 4, 2016 1:09 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 15, 2016 9:43 PM

Dec 2012
I've been anxiously preparing my body and mind for this episode ever since I started rewatching Aria one year ago. And still. STILL. It manages to sweep me off my feet effortlessly. I actually didn't cry this time, only teared up a bit. Well, by a bit I really mean for the entire episode. Every time they hinted at Alice's promotion, I was on the verge of breaking down and bawling in sheer joy.

As for the big moment itself, rather than tears I felt an unparalleled surge of happiness that I felt was infinitely enhanced by all of the foreshadowing I could appreciate the second time around. The part that actually got me the most this time was Alice's song. It was gentle, warm, and graceful. Very fitting of her new title.

Origination's 10/10 started here. It's a shame it doesn't go any higher, as it only deserves more moving forward.

Also something I didn't notice the first time is that this exam had been foreshadowed in the final episode of Natural when Athena suggests the picnic when it gets warmer. Aria does a brilliant job at building up to these moments in Origination.
Feb 27, 2016 3:20 AM

Oct 2011
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH AKARI AND AIKA GOT REKKKKKKKKT

But seriously, I am so glad for Alice since she is one of the most developed characters in Aria.
Jul 1, 2016 9:22 AM

Aug 2014
Yes this was the best Aria episode, it was emotional and beautiful.
Jul 10, 2016 1:40 AM

Dec 2009
Oh my... That caught me offguard. I'be been watching this as my nighttime before bed calm down, and yet here i was blown away. Straight to prima, holy crap. Is the the youngest prima now? I noticed she wasn't a single because of her gloves the whole time, i thought she was going to be a single finally, but now she's thrown into being a prima...

I agree it is sad though, cuz she's now straight to work, and the 3 of them won't get to spend their days together as hoped~
Alice has been showing her skills since the beginning, and they'd always relied on her to get them into those tough places that needed the most precision, she definitely deserves it, but oh my... i have to find out what becomes of the 3 of them...
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jul 14, 2016 1:56 PM

Jul 2015
What I like about this episode, along with the touching ending, was the origin of the name of Alice's company, Orange Planet, Aqua used to be colored orange, I guess.
Oct 2, 2016 6:23 PM

Aug 2015
Congrats Alice! Who knew she was that good at singing!
Dec 3, 2016 6:09 PM
Feb 2015
from pair to Prima immediatly???
Jan 5, 2017 8:14 PM

Apr 2016
Cried so fucking hard. Still crying.
Jan 8, 2017 8:59 AM

Feb 2013
Alice is a Prima now,cool
I expected her to be the first one, but not so fast.
Her song wasn't bad, but it didn't have that feeling that you get when Athena sings.
Orange Princess!
Jan 20, 2017 10:15 PM

May 2016
Congratulations Alice! Congratulations!! *Claps*

PeppermintHearts said:
What I like about this episode, along with the touching ending, was the origin of the name of Alice's company, Orange Planet, Aqua used to be colored orange, I guess.

Aqua used to be Mars until water filled up the lands! I didn't realize that's why the company was named that until I pictured Mars, it's red but it also has a orange hue to it too as well. This means the origin of the company is very old since it's supposed to reflect that past color as nostalgia.
Apr 3, 2017 12:29 PM

Jun 2016
Alice seriously leveled up over the course of this episode, it felt a little sudden - but her smile once she went into Undine-mode was reminiscent of Alicia. And when she finished her singing, I kept thinking that "Screw propriety, just make her a Prima already!" Couldn't believe my ears when it actually happened!

Now I get why Origination is so highly rated. The feels are real.
May 16, 2017 6:09 AM

May 2010
I shed tears, I never shed tears. Never did I expect what would break me would be something happy.
Jun 5, 2017 6:43 PM

Oct 2012
Lumis Eterne Hirohashi Ryou❤
Awwwww
She just become Prima first, Akari and Aika must be disappointed and happy at the same time

Words cannot explained the emotion I have for this episode
"Signature removed"
Jun 9, 2017 3:37 AM

Jun 2013
Beautiful episode. Well deserved promotion for Alice. A big fuck you for the naysayers. Seriously, she's the most developed character in the series. At first, she's described as a genius but flawed in personality. Gradually she changed for the better, mainly thanks to Aika and Akari. Not to undermine those two, but hard work isn't always enough. Alice deserved it.
Jun 29, 2017 5:15 AM
Mar 2015
Was re-reading this scene the manga and decided to watch the episode. It is fucking beautiful in both versions. Funny how something so happy can make you tear up slightly even when you know whats going to happen.
Sep 27, 2017 11:42 PM
May 2017
What a fantastic episode. As do most people here apparently, I would agree that this one of the best episodes of the series.

The way everything was executed was perfect. I, the viewer, did not realize she was having her exam, until Alice reached the water elevator.

Nothing could have ruined this, not even the (somewhat) tired gag of Maa biting Aria's stomach.

The removal of one's gloves has never been this moving.
Oct 30, 2017 4:22 PM

Nov 2016
This is without a doubt one of the very best episodes of the whole franchise,very,very beautiful.

And I would've never guessed that Alice would be the first Prima among our three kouhais. Congrats Alice-chan.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 20, 2017 3:33 PM

Aug 2015
This episode was just incredible, alice evolution has been amazing, ending the trial with her singing (don´t know if she sang one of the athena songs or not but in the end was just fantastic storytelling and she become one of my favourite characters in the show.

I was worried that she wouldn´t be a single at the end of the show, since this is more about akari most of the time, so when last episode she didn´t do the "test" I lost hope she would do it. So when this episode started I knew it she would become a single, but when athena grabbed alice right hand, making her a prima, I was just fanboying and screaming NO F** WAY.

It was a fantastic journey seeing alice development and she made history in Aqua by becoming the 1st undine to go straight to prima and probably the younger one too (RIP Alicia).

Aria is a good show but origination it´s just a Masterpiece, every episode is fantastic.
CT_BINONov 20, 2017 3:53 PM
Feb 22, 2018 7:24 PM

Jun 2014
Aria is an amazing show because somehow, small stakes become something extremely profound (and they are obvious to, as it stands, 95.71% percent of people who watch this episode). Alice’s graduation to Prima for example -- it’s set up in such a way that the most painful thing that Athena could ask is for Alice’s greatest weakness, her canzone, and in this very public manner. So, counter to the previous episode, Athena is placing the greatest amount of trust in Alice that she can in the most understated way possible.

Why is the canzone difficult for Alice? It’s not just that she’s technically lacking. It’s that the canzone is more a display of personality and confidence than technical prowess. Athena could not have asked to hear Alice's canzone in private because this is not really about the canzone but of Alice's character. And more than anything else, Alice’s success is an expression of her growth as a person, and the real reason why she deserves to become a Prima -- there was no question of her technical skills, only that of whether she is ready to take on the personal challenges of a Prima.
Mar 10, 2018 6:55 AM

Jul 2017
I knew when she went on that path she would become a single, and I was smiling the entire time waiting for it, and then they hit us with she became a Prima, holy shit I was screaming and jumping up and down when I heard that.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aria the Origination Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - Mar 31, 2008

318 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Mar 6, 6:50 AM

Poll: » Aria the Origination Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

radiantfire - Jan 7, 2008

98 by Nius1 »»
Nov 9, 2023 1:50 PM

Poll: » Aria the Origination Episode 3 Discussion

StarCreator - Jan 30, 2008

38 by Jungle_Warrior »»
Sep 9, 2023 1:38 AM

Poll: » Aria the Origination Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dtshyk - Mar 24, 2008

90 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Aug 30, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Aria the Origination Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - May 5, 2008

51 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Aug 30, 2023 1:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.