Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 8, 2016 4:00 AM

Jan 2012
lol how he is learning to distinguish other people.

Oct 10, 2016 10:33 AM

Jun 2016
another nice detailed episode.
Oct 13, 2016 2:09 PM

Apr 2015
I cant help but be a bit dumbfounded at how this show is recieved. "Great but too long with too much dialogue" - really? This show seems to go by incredibly quickly when I watch it. It doesn't pander to the audience, it cuts between dramatic and funny dialogue elagantly, and the directing keeps things interesting.

This episode had a lot of subtle "show don't tell" in it. Immediately through the atmosphere you could tell who the villians position in this world was - a lonely old man clinging onto the past with no one to save the decay of his clan. His secluded nature as well as the disinant feel of the castle really set it up well. It was hidden subtext that you could pick up on. In the last scene where they look at the sandy hills and talk about the fading memory of the castle i was so touched.
observing a woman's body
Nov 5, 2016 1:26 AM

Mar 2012
The talking during the first half dragged on for too long when it was pretty much just the writer projecting himself through Togame. Breaking the 4th wall is nice and all (although it was disguised as part of writing a report rather than the novel/story itself) but it didn't contribute anything to the story itself nor was it entertaining enough to drag on for 5+ mintues.

As for the fight itself, it was quite underwhelming but that's what happens when the opponent specializes in an attack so fast that you can't see it. Also, I don't get why he couldn't try to dodge Shichika's final attack sideways or even try blocking with his katana. It would've be an awkward sword draw but he would've had a chance at blocking Shichika's attack which would also cut him down due to his katana's special sharpness.

If he had enough time to do that then he most certainly could've drawn his katana.
Feb 13, 2017 4:23 PM

May 2015
it was really sad episode, but it was sooo good. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 14, 2017 4:55 AM

Aug 2014
What a neat way to learn the difference between people lol.
Apr 10, 2017 6:56 PM

Dec 2010
Shichika eating/tasting Togame's hair =D
Gyafun > Cheerio
HawthorneKitty said:
Gyafun>Cheerio
imo
Jun 2, 2017 11:36 AM

Feb 2015
Using her face in that final attack, what a move. :D
Jul 16, 2017 7:34 AM

Jun 2013
The blank slate that is Shichika's personality is might start filling up with details starting now. I like that things like the bait-and-switch line about protection keep him unpredictable. Part of the fun with him is never being quite sure if he meant what he said.

Togame continues to be a huge dork with a big mouth. I don't mind, because I like her voice a lot, but I want her to get a chance to show off her strategic skills for once. At least some of her exposition this time featured some stills as illustration. I'm considering the possibility that some of her quirks are a mask, but I have no evidence for it at this point.

I keep thinking about the conflicting feelings that Shichika must cause in her. On one hand, he's the son of the man who wiped out her family. On the other hand, he didn't have anything to do with the conflict directly, he's a blank slate that she can guide to be a better person, he showed her kindness and joined her side, when no one else seems to want to stay with her, and on top of that, he's hot. Now, her reaction to Shichika licking her and generally getting all up in her business are understandable even without context, but with context it's even more awkward.

Uneri was such a tragic character. I liked him. Though I couldn't stop thinking: when does he go to the bathroom? Does he eat/sleep/bathe in that room? Also, possibly the easiest way to make him abandon his turf would have been to light the castle on fire, but that would have risked melting the sword, so I'll allow it.

LeeTailorJul 16, 2017 8:00 AM
Aug 8, 2017 10:12 AM

Sep 2015
Still really loving this series. The setting and premise this time were pretty damn cool. I continue to really enjoy Togame and Shichika's dynamic. The whole wrapping her hair around him thing is pretty cute. And feels very Nisioisin. And I continue to find myself really drawn in by the dialogue. While the action scene at the end was really cool. I think my favorite part of the episode was just them walking through the desert talking about catch phrases. I'm also for the record very fond of the combination of the phrase "Cheerio" and Togame's appearance.

I also like that Shichika is starting to learn already. How he determined that the swordsman wouldn't leave the room to follow them was pretty clever. And definitely smarter than he could have come up with when he first showed up. I look forward to seeing where this series goes. As it continues to impress me with its tight story telling, anachronistic soundtrack and pretty animation. And also the Ninja who talked backwards and Togame trying to adopt his shtick in the tag was pretty hilarious.
Sep 14, 2017 8:09 AM

Oct 2012
Cheerio!
I'm looking forward for her embarrassment! xD

I'm loving their dialogues.. It's just funny, especially when Togame agreed about everything then "angry voices" xD

Aww, that guy is pretty cool guy for 1 episode villain
"Signature removed"
Nov 16, 2017 9:45 PM

Dec 2015
This anime has such an insufferable amount of pointless dialogue, and it isn't even done in any interesting way, making the episodes 50 minutes each was a huge mistake.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 17, 2018 4:57 PM

Aug 2007
I'm in the slightly-more-than-average rating camp right now.
The dialogue is easier to get into without having the first swordsman around. (He added a lot of more energy that wasn't needed.) I think part of the reason it's overwhelming at first, at least for me, is that I am going into this show knowing little about it besides decent ratings and genre.

May 1, 2018 1:24 AM

May 2016
Togame wrapping him in her hair and making him do all sorts of kinky stuff just for him to recognize her more easily was very eccentric but that height comparison can't help but make me think that she's just a smol loli~

The villain of the episode was quite the tragic one. His final words topped by the quick but rewarding fight scene with his last shot in the desert as the icing on the cake just showed that he's a respectable badass.

There were a lot of optional dialogue on how to come up of a catchphrase and how to make Shinchika more interesting but those seemingly unimportant talk being a trigger-event for the emotionally powerful final words discussion made up for the time spent big time.

And with this compelling episode, this anime will be scored an 8 or higher by me depending on how it goes but this is just the second episode so I have high hopes~ Togame using Cheerio at the end of the episode is the only part where she used it right lmao

May 1, 2018 12:57 PM

Nov 2016
When you even feel sorry for the "bad guy",then you know that the show is doing something right.

The fights may lack action,but they have a cool concept and are interesting.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 12, 2018 10:27 AM

Aug 2015
Man I really love the catchphrase part, pretty sure it's blatant meta about NisioIsin's work style, if ever that is then glad to learn some of it like from the way he writes his characters, catchphrases stuff

Felt bad for Ginkaku though, man he just wants to restore his homeland.

Man, I'm starting to like this show now from Togame and Shichika interaction, interesting villains, also even the extra characters in this series like the reverse talking ninja or the samurai who got killed with that random cheesy line made me chuckle a bit, and of course the fight scene which I'm hoping for more though.

Cheerio!
May 19, 2018 6:59 PM
Jan 2018
Togame is so stupid and irritating, wish she had died. Still have no idea why Schichika agreed to go on her quest with her, hopefully that gets explained soon.

Only good thing about this episode was Uneri, man was he likable..too bad we won't see him anymore
Aug 24, 2018 6:37 PM

Dec 2016
Two episodes in and I'm already kind of in love with this show lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 3, 2018 2:08 AM

Jan 2017
That backwards talking gave me a headache.
Sorry for my English.
Aug 2, 2019 12:02 AM

May 2018
Pointless dialouges all over the place, but I love it. The dialouges really entertains me, example when they are making a catchphrase, when they think a strategy and when they talk before they fight. Other than that, I love Shirasagi because of his reverse-talk.

Dec 5, 2019 10:16 PM

Aug 2017
They are a really cute couple. The talking is really nice except around 10-20 min, that part was really boring lol. Also, I feel sorry for Ginkaku.

I think that this second episode was even better than the first one.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 31, 2020 10:26 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really liked Inaba's landscapes, the desert was wonderful, colors for the outfits and environment are also really great.
Jun 9, 2020 8:15 PM
Jul 2018
This episode was great really hooked me in. however, there was a lot of talking. I know at the end that catchphrase conversation had a meaning. It didn't have to be that long.
Jul 26, 2020 7:24 PM

Mar 2020
this nigga catchphrase sounds like a dollar store "omae wa mou shindeiru"
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Aug 16, 2020 8:43 AM

Jan 2014
I loved this episode even more than the last one! I didn’t care much for the catchphrase discussion, and I’m glad that backwards talking Ninja got killed after just a couple lines lol. But man I LOVED the villain this time around, he was so tragic/ relatable? Just an old man wanting to protect something that no longer exists... also that whole “people who have something to protect are stronger” line really struck a chord with me. Kinda sad shichiki backtracked and said he was just babbling T.T

So far I really love it! Hope it keeps this up (also please no more ninjas they’re all so annoying)

Edit: I also want to mark this as the day I found out kissanime shut down forever T.T
Sep 9, 2020 1:35 AM

Sep 2018
1 month time skip and Shichika still need to familiarize Togame lol

I didn't notice Shichika's height last episode, why he became soooooo tall?

Togame buy too many clothes but she only wear one! And her clothes is like Doraemon's pocket!

Too many dialogues while the fight scenes only take minutes :(
Sep 12, 2020 8:32 PM

Jul 2013
Shichika knows so little about the life apart from the island he grew up on. It's funny how Togame is trying to teach him things every normal person learns automatically. :D

Shichikas new clothes look cool. I like it a lot.

I love the way she says Cheerio, even if it seems that's it's not the word she really wants to say.

I felt bad for Ginkaku. Completely alone in a desert is he trying to protect the only thing which is worth protecting for him. I think if there would have been more dialogue of that backwards speaking ninja I would have gotten a headache lol.

But damn Ginkakus sword style is fast. The fight between him and Shichika was definitely something else, but like we could see at the end he had a big weakness. At least now he can rest in peace.

Aug 18, 2022 12:45 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Maybe it's just that Togame is really small, but man standing next to her, Shichika is HUGE

Also just realized that this was released on a monthly schedule back in 2010 it aired, spanning from January all the way to end of the year in December. It's just something interesting to note.

This second episode slaps pretty much as hard as the first. I like all the dialogue and build-up up until Shichika takes down his opponent in a quick fashion. I like how we got to know this character, the wielder of this 2nd sword before Shichika inevitably finishes him off. At least now he is at peace.

Just checking when I watched the first episode, and it was nearly a month ago actually lol. But I'm back on board watching this for good now and will probably binge the rest in the couple days off I have right now.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 10, 2022 8:10 PM

Apr 2017
beautiful writing and characters and story and fights and everything, i fall in love with this episode
Jul 30, 2023 10:15 AM

Jun 2020
Loll the author was not hiding themself when Togame was talking about how bland Shichika is. Hopefully he can develop and not be so clueless.

I like Togame a lot, she’s obviously self centered but still has morals like to not needlessly kill people. I found the dialogue in this episode entertaining, a lot better than other shows where they may just be talking about their current situation and not about other stuff like normal people do
Feb 3, 10:31 AM
Jun 2019
It's too talkie and it aint interesting talk or horny talk like bakemonogatari. Its just numbing. Maybe they're doing cool wordplay and exquisite usage of flowery language, but i wouldn't know since io don't speak Japanese. Maybe someone familiar with the language can appreciate it more if that's what the show is good at. which is also just a guess from my part. I might keep going but seeing each ep is an hour long i dont know how far i'll last :(
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Jul 9, 2010

225 by valennienana »»
Apr 25, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

» END SPOILERS - I’ve Never Witnessed Such Epic Implosion

deaf_amish_guy - Jun 6, 2020

10 by Nesquikscope »»
Mar 31, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.