Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 1, 2016 8:21 AM

Apr 2015
I will instantly delete this post once I found a good answer.

I mean like, how can people say that this anime was a masterpiece etc? there's some plot holes on it!

TBH the middle of the episodes enraged me alot, but since that's just affects on my enjoyment, I won't discuss about that.
YouFeb 1, 2016 8:26 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 1, 2016 8:38 AM

Feb 2013
"It's just a show; I should really just relax."
Feb 1, 2016 8:59 AM

May 2015
People will say many shows are masterpieces, I think my entire top 10 are masterpieces, but you know what Tatami Galaxy's problem is?

I've never heard of a Galaxy called fucking Tatami.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Feb 1, 2016 9:00 AM

Aug 2014
Feb 1, 2016 9:00 AM

Jun 2015
If you didn't get the point of the show at all dunno why you need someone else to explain it to you. It's just you giving importance to any pandering trend you seem to be criticising in the first place by also exposing yourself.

And btw, YST is not about time loops or any superpower the MC has. It is not Madoka Magica. And the kind of criticism you apply to it is ridiculous, you're not watching a slice of life show either.
Feb 1, 2016 9:06 AM

Apr 2014
To answer your points one by one:

Feb 1, 2016 9:07 AM

Apr 2015
Lordwen said:
If you didn't get the point of the show at all dunno why you need someone else to explain it to you. It's just you giving importance to any pandering trend you seem to be criticising in the first place by also exposing yourself.

And btw, YST is not about time loops or any superpower the MC has. It is not Madoka Magica. And the kind of criticism you apply to it is ridiculous, you're not watching a slice of life show either.

So basically, it's just some kind of abstraction which won't at least try to explain it on the plot, and a show without analyzing how normal humans act on their priorities? OK.
Feb 1, 2016 9:08 AM

Dec 2015
Lordwen said:

*claps*

OT: if you didn't understand the series that's fine, but to say it has plot holes is reaching a bit...
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 1, 2016 9:09 AM

Dec 2013
What in the world, dude, you are not watching your run of the mill seasonal there, this is real deal here
Feb 1, 2016 9:15 AM

Apr 2015
KingGeedorah_ said:
To answer your points one by one:

I see, good point, thank you for the answer, this is helpful, I appreciate it.
Feb 1, 2016 9:35 AM

Jun 2015
You said:
Lordwen said:

So basically, it's just some kind of abstraction which won't at least try to explain it on the plot, and a show without analyzing how normal humans act on their priorities? OK.
By telling you not to analize it like if it were a slice of life I mean you can't just pull out one conduct in particular and say "this is not normal behaviour", because as you might have seen throughout the whole thing almost everything reaches a surreal tone. As a way of criticism after watching the eleven episodes I just couldn't understand it.
The main importance of the show lies in the different topics it approaches. Being the most relevant one the ability of making decisions and the different outcomes that come from them. How taking the correct path is up to you and how you always have that option right in front of you. You know, this is not a highly symbolic show, but it works as an allegory as a whole. This makes it an experience and affords the watcher another level of importance and implication. It might remind me something completely different than what it does to anyone else, but the message that expresses by itself is quite straightforward and neat. Besides, all the small details are perfectly connected (you can rewatch it and you'll see how flawless it is in this regard). Last but not least, the art, animation and soundtrack were all something else. Even if you dislike the style I think its quality of production has to be something easily noticeable for you.
Feb 1, 2016 9:47 AM

Dec 2012
The Tatami Galaxy doesn't have an actual supernatural plot. It's abstract like you said. It's not supposed to be a real time power, nor was Watashi actually stuck in a loop. Like KingGeedorah said it's about presenting different scenarios of Watashi decisions. That's why at the beginning of each episodes you see Watshi entering college for the first time and have the image of people presenting him fliers of different clubs. That is supposed to represent the different paths he can take, the episode rests at each episode because it leads to Watashi feeling unfulfilled with his decision and life.

Not only that but there is a lot of exaggeration that are not actually real. Like Ozu's face, it looks devilish because that's how Watashi perceives Ozu in his mind. In the last epiosde you see Ozu real face which is just a normal face.

The entire show is seen from Watashi's point of view.
Feb 1, 2016 9:51 AM

Apr 2015
KonaKoffee4 said:
Lordwen said:

*claps*

OT: if you didn't understand the series that's fine, but to say it has plot holes is reaching a bit...

Sorry for my bad word choice, left ambiguous is probably a better word. tbh I prefer a shows in which all the possible questions are exxplained, although sometimes may be ridiculous, I still appreciate the attempt to explain.

Lordwen said:
By telling you not to analize it like if it were a slice of life I mean you can't just pull out one conduct in particular and say "this is not normal behaviour", because as you might have seen throughout the whole thing almost everything reaches a surreal tone. As a way of criticism after watching the eleven episodes I just couldn't understand it.
The main importance of the show lies in the different topics it approaches. Being the most relevant one the ability of making decisions and the different outcomes that come from them. How taking the correct path is up to you and how you always have that option right in front of you. You know, this is not a highly symbolic show, but it works as an allegory as a whole. This makes it an experience and affords the watcher another level of importance and implication. It might remind me something completely different than what it does to anyone else, but the message that expresses by itself is quite straightforward and neat. Besides, all the small details are perfectly connected (you can rewatch it and you'll see how flawless it is in this regard). Last but not least, the art, animation and soundtrack were all something else. Even if you dislike the style I think its quality of production has to be something easily noticeable for you.

I'm totally ok with surreal artsyle and the 3D B&W recordings. I just going to basically imply that if episode 7 and 8 positions were switched, I'll respect this show even more, perhaps will give 8 or maybe 9/10 (10/10 is impossible for me due to yaoi undertones on some episodes since I disliked yaoi and about 15-20% of my ratings are based on enjoyment). I also understand about the moral messages. And yep it's detailed. Ah and now that I think again, the old fortune teller seems to realized the loops for saying that it's not their 1st time meeting. Hmm maybe I'll rewatch this later.
YouFeb 1, 2016 9:57 AM
Feb 1, 2016 9:55 AM

Apr 2015
tsudecimo said:
The Tatami Galaxy doesn't have an actual supernatural plot. It's abstract like you said. It's not supposed to be a real time power, nor was Watashi actually stuck in a loop. Like KingGeedorah said it's about presenting different scenarios of Watashi decisions. That's why at the beginning of each episodes you see Watshi entering college for the first time and have the image of people presenting him fliers of different clubs. That is supposed to represent the different paths he can take, the episode rests at each episode because it leads to Watashi feeling unfulfilled with his decision and life.

Not only that but there is a lot of exaggeration that are not actually real. Like Ozu's face, it looks devilish because that's how Watashi perceives Ozu in his mind. In the last epiosde you see Ozu real face which is just a normal face.

Hmm good point, that explains on how his senpai disappeared like a dust on the early episodes, and how the doll can talk.
YouFeb 1, 2016 10:16 AM
Mar 14, 2016 5:46 AM

May 2013
You said:
Ah and now that I think again, the old fortune teller seems to realized the loops for saying that it's not their 1st time meeting. Hmm maybe I'll rewatch this later.

The fortune teller ''noticing'' the loops doesnt add any meaning about the ''truth'' of the time loops or whatever you want to call it, it's just some sort of wink from the director to the audience.

If you're trying to make sense of ''why the main character has the power to...'' etc you're watching this wrong. It's not supposed to be a normal story with an start and an ending, it's more like a psychology book explaining all the possible situations.
Mar 14, 2016 5:54 AM

Apr 2015
destinyunknown said:
You said:
Ah and now that I think again, the old fortune teller seems to realized the loops for saying that it's not their 1st time meeting. Hmm maybe I'll rewatch this later.

The fortune teller ''noticing'' the loops doesnt add any meaning about the ''truth'' of the time loops or whatever you want to call it, it's just some sort of wink from the director to the audience.

If you're trying to make sense of ''why the main character has the power to...'' etc you're watching this wrong. It's not supposed to be a normal story with an start and an ending, it's more like a psychology book explaining all the possible situations.

I see, so what do you think about the episode 10 revelation? If it's goung to explain about all possible situations, I don't think it's really necessary tbh. I'll view this anime more like how Yosuga no Sora omnibusing the adaptation.
Mar 15, 2016 12:09 AM

May 2013
You said:

I see, so what do you think about the episode 10 revelation? If it's goung to explain about all possible situations, I don't think it's really necessary tbh. I'll view this anime more like how Yosuga no Sora omnibusing the adaptation.

I think it's supposed to show how the main character finally reflects about his life and realizes that the reason his college life was a failure wasn't other people's fault, but his. He then decides to change his behaviour and 'breaks' the loop.

I think it was intended to be metaphorical but it's up to interpretation too.
Mar 15, 2016 12:51 AM

Apr 2015
destinyunknown said:
You said:

I think it's supposed to show how the main character finally reflects about his life and realizes that the reason his college life was a failure wasn't other people's fault, but his. He then decides to change his behaviour and 'breaks' the loop.

I see, good point. Well although I'd like to see more of he decide to go back to his first "choice window" rather than "breaking the walls", your explanation is totally acceptable too.
Mar 15, 2016 1:59 AM

May 2015
You said:
destinyunknown said:

I see, good point. Well although I'd like to see more of he decide to go back to his first "choice window" rather than "breaking the walls", your explanation is totally acceptable too.
I wouldn't like an ending of him going back one last time and doing it perfectly, feels cheap. Instead even with the mistakes he made he managed to accomplish what he wanted in the end but this reflects on the viewer too. How many times we think "if only I could go back..." but the shows tells you "why not doing what you want to do now even if it feels late? It's never too late"

The time travel explanation is not relevant because that is not the point of the show, also whatever the choice he "lost" that time anyway.

You should see at it as a whole, not nitpicking.

The only issue I had is him talking too damn fast.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2016 6:02 AM

Apr 2015
zal said:
You said:

I wouldn't like an ending of him going back one last time and doing it perfectly, feels cheap. Instead even with the mistakes he made he managed to accomplish what he wanted in the end but this reflects on the viewer too. How many times we think "if only I could go back..." but the shows tells you "why not doing what you want to do now even if it feels late? It's never too late"

The time travel explanation is not relevant because that is not the point of the show, also whatever the choice he "lost" that time anyway.

I see, but it feels more logical if that guy just rethink about what he gone through before and realize that he should grab his opportunity rather than making his room a long room and he break through all of it because that makes me questioned more about how can those incredibly long room system works in just a small apartment.
Mar 15, 2016 6:08 AM

Jul 2015
I didn't watch the Tatami Galaxy, but why do you keep focusing on the "technical" why? We had the same discussion about NGE two days ago. What's more interesting in EoE when

I don't need or want the blueprints of everything in an anime T_T.
Mar 15, 2016 6:13 AM

Jan 2015
There reason they called it "surreal"... -_-

la critique de l'intention pure
Mar 15, 2016 6:16 AM

Apr 2015
Clebardman said:
I didn't watch the Tatami Galaxy, but why do you keep focusing on the "technical" why? We had the same discussion about NGE two days ago. What's more interesting in EoE when

I don't need or want the blueprints of everything in an anime T_T.

I think I never said I'm questioning about that one, Rei is you know,

And yep I need a story that can covers up the whole possible quesionings tbh, and also the answer shouldn't be contradictory like those in Miari Nikki or Tokyo Ghoul (Yep I'm not downrating them for being 'edgy' or some kind of those shallow reasons, but rather contradicting plot and characters.)
Mar 15, 2016 6:21 AM

Jul 2015
^Well, Mirai Nikki specifically sets rules and spends the rest of the show shitting on them, that's not exactly the same thing than leaving a couple points unexplained.
Mar 15, 2016 6:41 AM

May 2013
You said:

I see, but it feels more logical if that guy just rethink about what he gone through before and realize that he should grab his opportunity rather than making his room a long room and he break through all of it because that makes me questioned more about how can those incredibly long room system works in just a small apartment.

See, that's what you didn't understand about the show. The series doesn't try to tell you ''if you fuck up you can go back in time and make a different life choice''. What the show tells you is ''you have already fucked up, there's nothing you can do about your past, you can only control your PRESENT''. And that's what you can see in the end of the series, the protagonist FINALLY decides to stop being a pussy and take the opportunity (that's what 'breaking the wall' symbolizes).

So the point is:

It doesn't matter what your past is, you can't change it, that's why the protagonist ALWAYS ENDS UP AT THE SAME SITUATION.

You can only control your present, so the only way to improve your bad situation is to take the opportunity that you have NOW.
Mar 15, 2016 6:50 AM

Apr 2015
destinyunknown said:
You said:

See, that's what you didn't understand about the show. The series doesn't try to tell you ''if you fuck up you can go back in time and make a different life choice''. What the show tells you is ''you have already fucked up, there's nothing you can do about your past, you can only control your PRESENT''. And that's what you can see in the end of the series, the protagonist FINALLY decides to stop being a pussy and take the opportunity (that's what 'breaking the wall' symbolizes).

So the point is:

It doesn't matter what your past is, you can't change it, that's why the protagonist ALWAYS ENDS UP AT THE SAME SITUATION.

You can only control your present, so the only way to improve your bad situation is to take the opportunity that you have NOW.

WOW!! Seems that this is the only life lessons that I've left out. Whe the fuck I can left this methaphor of that renowned Confucius quote behind? Hey thanks for the information!! Although I'm still pitying Johnny due to the MCs stubbornness
Mar 15, 2016 7:27 AM

May 2015
You said:
zal said:

Those rooms are clearly not the physical reality. If you want a rational explanation think of it as an hallucination, from the mental and physical conditions he was at the moment that is a possibility. Or you can go with the theory of rooms from parallel dimensions, since there were time travels that is a possibility too.

Also from the point of view of the show sending a message, how a message is sent it is very important and what they made has way more impact than what you suggested.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2016 7:40 AM

Apr 2015
zal said:
You said:

Those rooms are clearly not the physical reality. If you want a rational explanation think of it as an hallucination, from the mental and physical conditions he was at the moment that is a possibility. Or you can go with the theory of rooms from parallel dimensions, since there were time travels that is a possibility too.

Also from the point of view of the show sending a message, how a message is sent it is very important and what they made has way more impact than what you suggested.

You mean it's somehow intentional in this show to make the boundary between reality and what's only happen in mind seems hard to be distinguished? I see.
Mar 15, 2016 8:32 AM

Nov 2013
Just because it is plot holed doesn't mean it is bad, a show don't have to always spoonfeed viewers because not all viewer are slow.
edit: in fact it coud evoke some interesting interpretation.

As far as I know Tatami is social commentary about teenage life and perhaps NEET lifestyle as there are many life lesson in it. So that's why it could pander for some people particularly for college student and the likes. Each characters portrayed many types of college student such as Ozu who apparently is type of friends who is always getting us into trouble, Higuchi the calm and cocky gang leader and even Johnny who represent Watashi's sexual nature.

I think the usage of time reset Tatami Galaxy was actually intended as it is the way the story told and was meant to explored Watashi's choice and (I think) what happens in his college life as a whole. Each episodes (though pretty much start and end the same) show different perspective and bringing Watashi closer to one character at one point and closer to another in a different episode.

I didn't like this show because of other reason but I can see why people like it.

My point is : Your addressing regarding the plot hole was somehow valid but feels not right because the show isn't about that.
DannyTheDonkeyMar 15, 2016 10:23 AM
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Mar 15, 2016 9:37 AM

May 2013
Luxun said:
Just because it is plot holed doesn't mean it is bad, a show don't have to always spoonfeed viewers because not all viewer are slow.

It is not plot holed, because there's no plot, or if you prefer, each episode has a separate plot.
Mar 15, 2016 9:40 AM

Nov 2013
destinyunknown said:
Luxun said:

It is not plot holed, because there's no plot, or if you prefer, each episode has a separate plot.

Read again, It's common statement. Also, I'm defending the show. and tatami has a plot

Mar 15, 2016 10:04 AM

May 2013
Luxun said:

Read again, It's common statement. Also, I'm defending the show. and tatami has a plot

The fact that it's a common statement doesn't make it any less wrong. I read the rest of what you posted, I just didn't feel like talking about that, just wanted to point out that the plothole statement is wrong.
Mar 15, 2016 10:19 AM

Nov 2013
destinyunknown said:

The fact that it's a common statement doesn't make it any less wrong. I read the rest of what you posted, I just didn't feel like talking about that, just wanted to point out that the plothole statement is wrong.

How does it wrong ? I simply just saying that Plot Hole =/= Bad.

Mar 21, 2016 8:18 AM
Jul 2018
@You well people already answered what the message of the show is, and I don't think I need further to explain it. Also this is not a s;g where you give scientific explanations, but all abt the making choices and their consequences. It felt more like hakomari vol 3(there it is a player), and here you assume different roles or make choices. And the final message is what zal said above.

I will try to point out some other things too.

Like in cinema ep

Also here you see everything from watashi's pov. Like in kaori's ep, ozu's face was more human-like when he gained advice from ozu.

As to your question why he chose the doll(it was eventually to be chosen, but whatever)

And if you are really obsessed abt who gave him the power, maybe it

P.S.- if you rewatch this show, maybe go through this guy's blogs http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/tag/tatami-galaxy/ . It will help you to notice and appreciate the intricate details and symbolism, a few of which I explained above.
removed-userMar 21, 2016 8:22 AM
Mar 21, 2016 8:24 AM

Apr 2015
xaos12 said:
@You well people already answered what the message of the show is, and I don't think I need further to explain it. Also this is not a s;g where you give scientific explanations, but all abt the making choices and their consequences. It felt more like hakomari vol 3(there it is a player), and here you assume different roles or make choices. And the final message is what zal said above.

Like in cinema ep

Also here you see everything from watashi's pov. Like in kaori's ep, ozu's face was more human-like when he gained advice from ozu.

Also, as to your question why he chose the doll(it was eventually to be chosen, but whatever)

P.S.- if you rewatch this show, maybe go through this guy's blogs http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/tag/tatami-galaxy/ . It will help you to notice and appreciate the intricate details and symbolism, a few of which I explained above.

Okay, I understand about it already, I think this question has already been asked for so long ago. But still I won't change my rating since I found some poorly drawn arm in episode 10 like those bad CGIs and I don't found myself relatable to Watashi in a several ways, which is:

Well yep maybe some people prefer doll/body pillows etc but as for me, I'm not.
Mar 21, 2016 8:38 AM
Jul 2018
You said:
xaos12 said:

Like in cinema ep

Also, as to your question why he chose the doll(it was eventually to be chosen, but whatever)

Okay, I understand about it already, I think this question has already been asked for so long ago. But still I won't change my rating since I found some poorly drawn arm in episode 10 like those bad CGIs and I don't found myself relatable to Watashi in a several ways, which is:

First question has already been answered.
tsudecimo said:

Watashi was given the choices, and he explored it.

For the second, depends on how you view it and it was bound to happen anyway. Don't think that the order matters and I already explained why he chose the doll, but whatever.
Mar 21, 2016 8:41 AM

Apr 2015
xaos12 said:
You said:

tsudecimo said:

For the second, depends on how you view it and it was bound to happen anyway. Don't think that the order matters and I already explained why he chose the doll, but whatever.

Wait I somehow foregot on how this show ends, did Watashi ended up dating Akashi?
P.S: I somehow dislikes Akashi because she highly resembles...the one who will fight your favorite Oregairu girls in the next round of my tournament XD
Mar 21, 2016 8:58 AM
Jul 2018
You said:
xaos12 said:

Wait I somehow foregot on how this show ends, did Watashi ended up dating Akashi?
P.S: I somehow dislikes Akashi because she highly resembles...the one who will fight your favorite Oregairu girls in the next round of my tournament XD

Yup. They end up together. And I am the devotee of irohaism, I hardly care abt yukino.
Mar 21, 2016 9:00 AM

Apr 2015
xaos12 said:
You said:

Yup. They end up together. And I am the devotee of irohaism, I hardly care abt yukino.

Good, I think I'll summon hoopla to make Yukinon win the most hated oregairu girls.
Mar 26, 2016 4:58 PM
Jul 2015
all these questions are completely unreasonable and irrevelant while talking about tatami galaxy my dear
Mar 27, 2016 5:52 PM
Jun 2011
I found peace with Watashi's happy ending being earned since the Tatami Galaxy phenomenon came with him sacrificing his college years even more than in the other iterations.

But an interesting thing about the novel is that it contains four iterations, and all four end in Watashi and Akashi dating. That way, it emphasizes the idea that you can be fine even with all your regrets. The anime episodes cut off the happy ending for drama and I think it pays off pretty well.

Anyhow Yukinon is cool.
Apr 18, 2016 2:35 AM

Mar 2015
This show.. Idealist story.. I cant really relate it with my past life in university..
This salad is salty favored
Apr 18, 2016 3:16 AM

Nov 2011
There was a poorly drawn arm in episode 10 and that very specific thing made you lower the rating?

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
ArdanazApr 18, 2016 7:24 AM
Apr 18, 2016 10:15 AM

Oct 2014
Not understanding a series does not equate to it being pandering or having plot-holes.
Apr 18, 2016 10:26 AM

Apr 2015
crestofhonesty said:
Not understanding a series does not equate to it being pandering or having plot-holes.

Lol I think this debate have ended already. I've read more than 100 Tatami Galaxy reviews and already know what the fans think. I still can't accept how Hanuki ended up with noone tho.
Apr 18, 2016 10:29 AM
Jul 2018
You said:
crestofhonesty said:

Lol I think this debate have ended already. I've read more than 100 Tatami Galaxy reviews and already know what the fans think. I still can't accept how Hanuki ended up with noone tho.

Huh? It was implied that she ended up with higuchi, did you see the last ep?
Apr 18, 2016 10:29 AM

Oct 2014
You said:
I still can't accept how Hanuki ended up with noone tho.

You're completely missing the point of the series.
Apr 18, 2016 10:32 AM

Oct 2014
xaos12 said:
Huh? It was implied that she ended up with Higuchi, did you see the last ep?

People don't pay attention enough... SMH.
Apr 18, 2016 10:34 AM

Apr 2015
xaos12 said:
You said:

Ah really? but I don't see any of them confessed :(
Apr 18, 2016 10:38 AM
Jul 2018
You said:
xaos12 said:

Ah really? but I don't see any of them confessed :(

Do they always have to show the confession to end up together? XD Go and rewatch the last ep maybe lol.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do many people have trouble with the speed of the dialogue?

Temoblanks - May 29, 2020

20 by Chaplin87 »»
Apr 28, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Jun 3, 2010

98 by haydnwright »»
Apr 21, 1:05 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

garfield15 - Jun 10, 2010

92 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Apr 12, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

controlmajortom - May 6, 2010

127 by blinddig »»
Apr 10, 2:32 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - May 27, 2010

151 by MalcomHater »»
Mar 23, 3:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.