Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jan 17, 2016 9:01 AM

Jun 2014
ixarising said:

They didn't make the TSF to be compatible to certain %, they intended to make it compatible to all but not everyone has the amplitude to pilot the TSF, just like there are some people who can't ride roller coasters, planes etc. There are just people who can't get the required amplitude for that and are placed as infantries or other post instead.

But mentally unstable 15 year old girls do have the "amplitude"? Riding a roller coast or in an aircraft is a terrible comparison: those are passive activities where you have no input at all. In the military, people are selected for advanced training. And yet somehow it's just a bunch of kids that manage to meet selection criteria to operate these machines. I'm fairly sure you could find more suitable candidates within a standing military force that will have the "amplitude" to operate these machines. Especially one that has been at constant war for quite some time.
I get what you're saying though. It is understandable that the equipment would have a steep learning curve and due to time and resource constraints: only those who truly excel in what would be a huge variety of aptitudes would be selected to undergo training.
My issue is that there is no way in hell kids would realistically even be considered for selection. Many other people who like this show clearly don't mind. Its my personal thoughts and feelings on the matter. I doubt there is any explanation you can give regarding this universe that would make me say "oooh okay, that makes sense - I can totally see why they would put children in charge of the world's most powerful weapons to head the fight against an impossible enemy where losing just a single battle could be such a significant strategic loss that it means total annihilation"

Dab1za9 said:
you realize the series is originally an Eroge targeted for +18 ? they sure are not targeting children lol

No, I don't realise that. And I don't care. It's irrelevant what it was 'originally' targeted for. All I was saying is that by using all these irritating childish characters they appeal to a younger/less mature target audience.
GrunkalunkaJan 17, 2016 9:07 AM
Jan 17, 2016 11:07 AM

Apr 2013
The aliens remind me of All You Need is Kill and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (the faces).

I understand why every war setting has to have the one crazy, lunatic type soldier but... man this one is particularly fucking annoying. I hope they die the worst death imaginable.

A person suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder still serving in an elite group... they didn't even have the resources to train more soldiers to use something that looks like they only have a limited supply of...

Overall episode was pretty meh... standard 6/10.
duderusJan 17, 2016 11:29 AM

Jan 17, 2016 1:24 PM
Feb 2015
Grunkalunka said:
But mentally unstable 15 year old girls do have the "amplitude"? Riding a roller coast or in an aircraft is a terrible comparison: those are passive activities where you have no input at all. In the military, people are selected for advanced training. And yet somehow it's just a bunch of kids that manage to meet selection criteria to operate these machines. I'm fairly sure you could find more suitable candidates within a standing military force that will have the "amplitude" to operate these machines. Especially one that has been at constant war for quite some time.
I get what you're saying though. It is understandable that the equipment would have a steep learning curve and due to time and resource constraints: only those who truly excel in what would be a huge variety of aptitudes would be selected to undergo training.
My issue is that there is no way in hell kids would realistically even be considered for selection. Many other people who like this show clearly don't mind. Its my personal thoughts and feelings on the matter. I doubt there is any explanation you can give regarding this universe that would make me say "oooh okay, that makes sense - I can totally see why they would put children in charge of the world's most powerful weapons to head the fight against an impossible enemy where losing just a single battle could be such a significant strategic loss that it means total annihilation"

You think they have the time to be considering that issue when most of their regular soldiers are gone? During the initial battle with the BETA, almost all of the world's regular army bar USA got trimmed down to almost nothing, that's why you're seeing more females than males here because the number of males already dropped to 1/3 of its original number. They're running out of humans faster than humans being born in a single day, just a few years ahead of now humanity will simply have around 1 billion population only.

And the 2nd reason why they had to use child soldier is because most of the regular soldiers can't adapt well to the TSF which created the "8 minutes of death" which became an average time limit a TSF pilot survive against the BETA in a battle. They had to train TSF Eishi from the scratch, not an option with regular soldiers since they have to be on the frontlines. And you can clearly see in Total Eclipse's first 2 episodes, even experienced pilot/Eishi can't survive the battlefield easily, that's how deprived the world is of Eishi to pilot TSF. They don't have to confident to even have the thoughts that they're female or they're children, they'll draft anyone so long as they can be used.
Jan 17, 2016 1:44 PM
Jan 2013
Oh lord... As a Muv Luv fan I really, REALLY wanted to like Schwarzesmarken - especially after the disaster that Total Eclipse was (except for the first two episodes).

And... yea, this time we DO have the gritty world of Muv Luv, with shady politics and greedy higher-ups supplementing the endless fight with BETA. But... there are just so many things that made me go "noooooo" in this first episode.

1. Little girl PTSD pilot going nuts, obviously leading to the death of another character (come on, who didn't think that would happen). I get it, in this world beggars can't be choosers - most pilots have a life expectancy of 8 minutes on the battlefield, so if you're skilled enough no matter the package you come with you'll be flying in the death can that TSFs are. But still, just seeing it made me go "god fucking damn it just someone shoot her already so no one else dies instead".

2. "I will protect you" stuff during the opening. Oh stop it with that cheesy line, please.

3. Long lost sister coincidence. Maaaan of course.

4. Said girl acts all girly and retarded, oh how great west and east pilot bla bla bla in the middle of the military block?! It's a wonder how no one drew their weapon or called in the secret police straight away.

When that's all said and done.... I'm going to keep watching. I understand that most of it probably is introduced in a better fashion in the Visual Novel since you have so little time for character building in a single episode of an anime, and I just hope the overall story is good. But god, I do wish I don't run into more of these "please no" moments where I just roll my eyes and go "come oooon".

... Oh and for those who haven't read Muv Luv, this is probably not a great episode. A lot of things don't make sense (such as people wondering why you got a PTSD kid flying in an elite squad), the impact of others are lessened.
Jan 17, 2016 7:52 PM

Jun 2014
ixarising said:

You think they have the time to be considering that issue when most of their regular soldiers are gone? During the initial battle with the BETA, almost all of the world's regular army bar USA got trimmed down to almost nothing, that's why you're seeing more females than males here because the number of males already dropped to 1/3 of its original number. They're running out of humans faster than humans being born in a single day, just a few years ahead of now humanity will simply have around 1 billion population only.

And the 2nd reason why they had to use child soldier is because most of the regular soldiers can't adapt well to the TSF which created the "8 minutes of death" which became an average time limit a TSF pilot survive against the BETA in a battle. They had to train TSF Eishi from the scratch, not an option with regular soldiers since they have to be on the frontlines. And you can clearly see in Total Eclipse's first 2 episodes, even experienced pilot/Eishi can't survive the battlefield easily, that's how deprived the world is of Eishi to pilot TSF. They don't have to confident to even have the thoughts that they're female or they're children, they'll draft anyone so long as they can be used.

Nope. Still not a valid explanation for me.
Yes I do think they would be considering that issue seeing as how damn important it is. I think they would be considering it very damn carefully. I don't have a problem with an operator being female. Militaries don't simply draft anyone to operate a high performance multi role death bringing machine. No matter how desperate they are. They would draft people into the regular posts and pull the experienced soldiers off those posts to train.
Jan 17, 2016 8:38 PM
Feb 2015
Grunkalunka said:
Nope. Still not a valid explanation for me.
Yes I do think they would be considering that issue seeing as how damn important it is. I think they would be considering it very damn carefully. I don't have a problem with an operator being female. Militaries don't simply draft anyone to operate a high performance multi role death bringing machine. No matter how desperate they are. They would draft people into the regular posts and pull the experienced soldiers off those posts to train.

First off, you think they didn't do what you said? They did what you said and they didn't get any proper results, nearly all of the regular soldiers didn't survived more than 10 minutes. And to make things worst aerial support is nullify due to the appearance of the laser class, they need Eishi fast so they lower the drafting age.

Second, Katia volunteered to join the army, they didn't draft her but they don't have the reason or leniency to reject her either. They're fighting a war for survival out there which they are clearly losing, they don't have the time to be talking about morals and ethics hence they allowed her admittance.

Third, this isn't our world history, it's a parallel world history, in this world, US didn't drop the nuclear bomb to Japan they dropped it to Germany.
ixarisingJan 17, 2016 8:44 PM
Jan 17, 2016 9:53 PM

Jun 2013
There's a serious lack of solider hair length/style regulations in military-themed anime.
Jan 18, 2016 6:38 AM

Jun 2014
ixarising said:

First off, you think they didn't do what you said? They did what you said and they didn't get any proper results, nearly all of the regular soldiers didn't survived more than 10 minutes. And to make things worst aerial support is nullify due to the appearance of the laser class, they need Eishi fast so they lower the drafting age.

If they did that, then that it's just another reason for me to dislike this anime. Because in reality you would have a vastly higher success rate by recruiting already trained, experienced soldiers into an advanced weapons program than you would drafting/accepting pre-pubescent volunteers into said program. You are only making it worse. So all these soldiers only survive 10 minutes but little girls can dominate?

ixarising said:

Second, Katia volunteered to join the army, they didn't draft her but they don't have the reason or leniency to reject her either. They're fighting a war for survival out there which they are clearly losing, they don't have the time to blablabla.

Yep. And what's your point here? it still makes no sense to accept a little girl into the armed forces and put her into this advanced weapons system. Realistically she would be put into a cadet training program or logistics, operations or something like that. If they were really desperate put her straight into combat training and onto the front line but even that would be ridiculous.

ixarising said:

Third, this isn't our world history, it's a parallel world history, in this world, US didn't drop the nuclear bomb to Japan they dropped it to Germany.

Uhh. Okay. So? I don't see what that has to do with it.
Jan 18, 2016 7:56 AM
Feb 2015
Grunkalunka said:
ixarising said:

If they did that, then that it's just another reason for me to dislike this anime. Because in reality you would have a vastly higher success rate by recruiting already trained, experienced soldiers into an advanced weapons program than you would drafting/accepting pre-pubescent volunteers into said program. You are only making it worse. So all these soldiers only survive 10 minutes but little girls can dominate?

ixarising said:

Second, Katia volunteered to join the army, they didn't draft her but they don't have the reason or leniency to reject her either. They're fighting a war for survival out there which they are clearly losing, they don't have the time to blablabla.

Yep. And what's your point here? it still makes no sense to accept a little girl into the armed forces and put her into this advanced weapons system. Realistically she would be put into a cadet training program or logistics, operations or something like that. If they were really desperate put her straight into combat training and onto the front line but even that would be ridiculous.

ixarising said:

Uhh. Okay. So? I don't see what that has to do with it.

Because TSF utilizes a completely different concept than planes, their operating system is completely different from the usual tank or fighter plane or tanks. The suits you see them wearing are actually part of that system. Ask your parents or grandparents to adapt to iphone or any touchscreen phone immediately in 1 day? You think they can do that? They'll take some time before that, the same concept here. The veteran soldiers can't adapt to TSF efficiently and fast enough nor do they have the spare time to send them to training either, they're losing soldiers faster than having time to train them, in just one week when the BETA reached Earth, 36 million people died. Hence they switch to another alternative, use new soldiers and train them to adapt to the system immediately. Also it's not that the new soldiers aren't train, they still have to undergo regular military training and pass it before being a fully commission soldier.

They even forcefully manufactured esper and send them to battlefield before they even reached adulthood in an attempt to communicate with BETA which resulted in several hundred of those kids dying in vain. You think taking in 1 child soldier is bad, hell they'll take in as many as they need for the sake of winning the war. They're on the verge of extinction here, this is 1983 and by 2001 a mere 18 years humanity dropped to less than 1 billion in population and only 1/5 of male remained. They don't have the freaking time to talk about morals and ethics at all, in the actual world war 2 of our own world Germany even send children and women to war when they were starting to lose. It's normal. People do desperate things when cornered even crazy things if they have too. They have to worry about more than just the BETA on Earth, they still have to worry about the BETA at the Moon and Mars too. And amidst all this shit, people still want to take care of their country first over other countries, hence all this fucked up things occur.
Jan 19, 2016 1:07 AM

Jul 2012
It's alright. This kind of show isn't my cup of tea but I'm willing to watch for Suzuken. I'm super impressed with his voice acting. I barely recognize him in some places. He kinda sounds like Masa, but not really.

3/5

mirana said:
Main guy Theodor seems to have lots of personality problems but he seems cool. He looks a whole lot like Lindo from Dance with Devils for some reason... Anyway, I like him. If they can make him grow up as a person and companion later if would be fucking great. Also voiced by Suzumura Kenichi so that's one huge extra point.
He does! LOL And yes, he seems really interesting so far.
Jan 19, 2016 3:22 AM
Mar 2012
Seems better than TE ep1-2, which I left long time ago for it's over dramatic angsty screams & too much cringe. But thinking of repickup TE...
Funky character designs, mildly interested in their politics/backstories. Most history stuff presented here is comprehensible & not too rushed, doesn't seem like I need LN knowledge to enjoy it.
Sanzigen good job on the mechs & war, pretty cool. Laser bugs were fuzzy cute then it got full on gore popping.
Why would UN request help from East if they're enemies? And in flashback it seems bro & sis were captured by the same army, then how did sister end up in West?
Would be nice to have TN explaining the German or muvluv verse specific things.
gophercgJan 19, 2016 3:26 AM
Jan 19, 2016 10:09 AM

Nov 2015
gophercg said:

Why would UN request help from East if they're enemies? And in flashback it seems bro & sis were captured by the same army, then how did sister end up in West?

They're both there to stop the beta. The whole defense strategy depends on tsf pilots taking out laser class and they need as many as they can get. And katia isn't his sister.
Jan 20, 2016 1:22 AM
Mar 2012
perje said:
gophercg said:

They're both there to stop the beta. The whole defense strategy depends on tsf pilots taking out laser class and they need as many as they can get. And katia isn't his sister.

Just saw Mal blink this new orange notification thing, cool!
Nice so there is some form of cooperation against the beta. The last Strafe scene & the team's dialogue made it seem like East & West shouldn't even talk to each other.
ic so Katia is not sister, but possibly a family member or she's looking for them in the East?
Jan 20, 2016 5:15 AM

Jul 2007
gophercg said:
The last Strafe scene & the team's dialogue made it seem like East & West shouldn't even talk to each other.

They shouldn't but the humanity is on the brink of getting wiped out.

Its no different than if aliens landed in our real world now and Russia and USA were forced to work together against them.
Jan 20, 2016 6:42 AM
Apr 2015
I expected this not being everyones thing but wow i never expected it having a rating even lower than the tragedy that was (and still continues) Asterick wars. Do series with R 17-18 get that much harsher critism or do people just prefer the average generic harem/romance/ecchi/shounen/zero plot theme alot more?
frenze12Jan 20, 2016 8:26 AM
Jan 21, 2016 8:04 AM

Nov 2011
So I watched Ep.1 on Crunchyroll last night. I've seen a few episodes of Muv-Luv, ep.1-4 of Season 1, and Ep.1-4 of Season 2 (in English). The fact that the characters live in a fictional future where East Germany still exists piqued my interest (I have a Masters in German Studies), but I was quickly annoyed by the wildly inaccurate uniforms that bore scant resemblance to Volksarmee uniforms...the helmets were wrong for GDR troops, and no GDR "mech" would have an Iron Cross painted on it, only Bundeswehr (West German) units would do that. The GDR had its own symbols for aircraft, etc., none of which were present in this anime. Also, a Stasi informer walking around with an ornate Christian cross around her neck would soon be a Stasi prisoner; the MfS would not look kindly on that at all. Also, West Germans were not completely ignorant of the nature of the GDR state and what life was like "over there"; many had extended families on both sides of the divide, many knew people who fled the GDR and started new lives in the BRD. It felt like the art director did only the bare minimum of research on the GDR and its military, and that East Germany was selected as a location for the story because it was "exotic" and "cool" and a very militarized and totalitarian state. As I watched, I imagined what a German ADR script might sound like; I'd read the subtitles, translate it quickly in my head, and say the line in German out loud, to amuse myself. I wonder if Sentai Filmworks will pick this up for an English dub or simply license it sub-only. I'd love it if they try to give the main characters believable German accents, but Sentai usually shys away from doing very much accent work in their dub productions. Tiffany Grant would nail it; everyone else...?

Anyway, I may keep watching it on Crunchyroll as more episodes get released. Hoping the art direction gets better and they work on better accuracy with respect to what Volksarmee uniforms and units would actually look like.
Jan 24, 2016 5:19 AM

Jul 2007
frenze12 said:
I expected this not being everyones thing but wow i never expected it having a rating even lower than the tragedy that was (and still continues) Asterick wars. Do series with R 17-18 get that much harsher critism or do people just prefer the average generic harem/romance/ecchi/shounen/zero plot theme alot more?

That's just MAL goldfishes. Only "hyped" things or completely generic things get decent ratings.

This has a realistic tone, darker and more violent atmosphere and a complex lore. AN average MAL member would obviously be "confused"(and "confused" in MAL means the user will just label something shit instead of trying to think).

After all, there have been people who thought "Stasi" is not something based on real world, making fun of the writers for "naming a group such a silly way"
Jan 26, 2016 5:58 AM

Jul 2008
I thought those aliens looked familiar. When I started the episode I was going..."Wait, haven't I seen this before?"

So we have a sort of prequel on our hands I guess.
Jan 27, 2016 2:57 AM
Sep 2015
My deepest impression is that I can't remember characters' names...
Jan 27, 2016 7:48 AM
Feb 2015
AnimeHearn said:
My deepest impression is that I can't remember characters' names...

You just need to remember Theodor, Irisdina and Katia
Jan 28, 2016 1:58 PM
Mar 2015
Always wanted to visit east germany... K den. Fuck,where to begin?
Got a dumpstertruck worth of info during the first 10 minutes. Suddenly he was thinking about his past?. Some random girl just wanna know what is like in east germany?. Like Aranea said extremly offensive to history. Havent been a show in a long time that have had 1 episode piss me of so much.
Feb 2, 2016 5:23 PM

Nov 2014
Will those cute Heavy Laser class BETA appear? Find out next week, me!
Feb 3, 2016 8:17 PM

Mar 2010
Not sure how I feel about this. Didn't really find a single character that I really liked lol. Will give this one more episode I guess.

"I am the bone of my sword,
Steel is my body and Fire is my blood,
I have created over a thousand blades,
Unknown to Death,
Nor known to Life,
Have withstood pain to create many weapons,
Yet, those hands will never hold anything,
So as I pray, unlimited blade works"
Feb 3, 2016 9:23 PM

Jan 2008
spudnick2010 said:
Not sure how I feel about this. Didn't really find a single character that I really liked lol. Will give this one more episode I guess.

Ep 2 and 3 is where REAL SHIT starts esp Ep 3 was EPIC.
Mar 2, 2016 10:52 AM

May 2014
Wtf, why get someone mentally ill to be part of your squad?
Like wtf, elsewhere this episode was rather weird and boring. It should get better soon, some said it is after all.
May 3, 2016 4:25 AM

Jan 2016
Very Exciting First episode! one thing for sure, it sure got me. Bloody, War, Military, Shooting, Really something that i needed now after been watching to much loveydovey anime xD

More character than i expected, as someone else said as well. i agree on that, kind of thought is gonna be less characters. Story so far is quite impressive.

And to Be real here! The damn Ugly assfucking B.E.T.A aliens looks worse than the Ugly ass Titans in AOT xD oh my days
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
May 29, 2016 7:28 PM

Jul 2013
Long time ago since i've watched a mecha anime, but so far I like it. It's a pretty dark anime with the cold war, german stasi etc.

A lot of characters got introduced, so it's a little bit hard to filter all the important infomations about them. But now we know why Theodor don't trust anyone. I hope Katia will do well. She will definitely not have a easy time, that's for sure. Can't wait to see how this will develope.

The ED is also nice.

Jul 14, 2016 8:39 PM

Jan 2014
you know you'd think countries would at least have a cease fire in the middle of a man eating alien invasion.
Oct 4, 2016 6:03 AM
Feb 2015
jasonvorheas24 said:
you know you'd think countries would at least have a cease fire in the middle of a man eating alien invasion.

Unfortunately i think that's impossible even in the real world. People have different agendas each, even in the front of a common threat, people prioritize on what they care before what needs to be done.
May 27, 2017 12:36 AM

Dec 2012
LAWD! DEM OPPAI'S!
Why did it have to strike Inghild in the oppai?
Protect Lise? Who's going to protect him?
She said Schwarzesmarken. Roll credits!
Is this girl right in the head to be blurting out that she's from the West in public? Plus, she won't shut the fock up.

Ok episode. Much rather Muv Luv, but I'll continue. ED song is good.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
May 19, 2018 6:24 AM

Feb 2018
Just finished watch this first ep, it feels like watching starship troopers.

Good action & lots of bloodbath, it just the pacing was too fast -_-
On to the next eps..
What did You expect? life sucks from the get go....
May 27, 2019 11:48 PM

Feb 2018
After watching for twenty-four minutes what I got was a man who helped a woman trapped inside a robot.
Aug 17, 2019 6:10 PM

Aug 2018
Back to the world where the Cold War never ended, and the commies were over the top evil. Lol

The animation is much better than Total Eclipse.
Sep 27, 2020 8:54 PM

Feb 2019
Nice action sequences

OST is cool

Death from the start, that was brutal.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Mar 20, 2021 8:50 PM

Jul 2013
the BETA are so ugly and creepy omg
the first episode is fast paced, i think i'll like the show.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

173 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 8:10 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

78 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 7:58 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 2:14 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2016

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 24, 2023 10:28 PM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2016

76 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 23, 2023 6:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.