Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 22, 2015 9:29 AM
Jan 2010
obviously this show is considered damn popular in japan including its sequel over there in japan, but why cant anyone in america have tolerance and have a open mind and just love SAO and SAO 2 for what they are instead of either hating on them because they are popular or hating on them to troll the fans. i myself am a fan of sao and am planning on watching sao 2, i honestly dont see the why trolls and haters hate this series
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 22, 2015 9:31 AM

Oct 2008
Pretty sure the series is actually more popular in the west than in Japan.

Also welcome to 2012 ....
Mar 22, 2015 9:34 AM

Aug 2014
Most of the hate is not because it's popular. It's because that 2nd part in the first season ruined it.

You remember this part right?
Mar 22, 2015 9:34 AM

Jun 2011
Konata809 said:
i honestly dont see the why trolls and haters hate this series
Trolls are just trolling, haters are just hating because it's popular but sucked.

Tehqo said:
Most of the hate is not because it's popular. It's because that 2nd part in the first season ruined it.

Fappable, what's there to hate?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 22, 2015 9:36 AM

Aug 2014
ToG25thBaam said:
Tehqo said:

XD
Mar 22, 2015 9:38 AM

Jun 2014
I personally don't hate the show as much as other people as I am more tolerant.
One of the drawbacks of the show was the plot and development of it's story. It was all too quick in a rapid succession that I was unable to get the full enjoyment out of the show. The idea of just cutting the show in half so that one focuses on SAO and one on that Fairy game puts me off. I'm just not that intrigued into fairies personally as well.
It has potential, but they screwed it up in the end....well more so just after the first episode. It was all presented quickly and I would've much preferred if they left the setting in the SAO world and developed on the plot there. That would've been much more entertaining as this was probably the aspect of the show that drew in many viewers. But after having discovered that this world can be simply destroyed by killing the creator (which was very anti-climatic, another thing SAO fails to do) would've left many discombobulated and frustrated.
Nevertheless I enjoyed the whole idea of SAO and the art and music. I just lost my interest in watching it around the time the Fairy bit came in.
Mar 22, 2015 9:42 AM
Oct 2011
we in 2012 again? I thought we got this shit done over with.

Good times.

[size=50]dem sugus doe
Mar 22, 2015 9:42 AM

Jun 2014
Because it focused on the virtual romance.

Look alive sunshine!
The future is bulletproof
The aftermath is secondary
Its time to do it now and do it loud
Killjoys! Make some noise!
Mar 22, 2015 12:48 PM

Jun 2012
I would say it is heavily criticized due to how the entire series itself is a try-hard and sucked. Casuals wouldn't find anything wrong with SAO, but long time anime viewers would find it very annoying to watch because it is...uninteresting.
Mar 22, 2015 12:50 PM
Apr 2014
amateur said:

It's actually even more popular in Japan from what I hear, and with somewhat less backlash.
Mar 26, 2015 8:57 PM

Nov 2014
I just thought it was really boring... For me it was like watching somebody binge playing Final Fantasy... Yeah that's about it.
Mar 27, 2015 11:41 AM
Feb 2015
I liked the first part of season 1, but I hated the second part :/
Way too much fan service in my opinion!
Mar 27, 2015 11:44 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Probably because of the second part. Plus it had potential to become one of the top anime but wasted it on harem and rushed romance.
Mar 27, 2015 5:56 PM
Jan 2010
Jeez everyone is bashing the second part what is so damn bad about the second part really ?, it looks good plus there is an entire game now set on it and it looks like an amazing sao game, also that tentacle rape bit looks sexy but i would not call it fap able
Konata809Mar 27, 2015 6:09 PM
Mar 28, 2015 8:02 AM

Jul 2014
inb4 merge/lock. OP pls use search feature next time.

Brandon_ said:
I personally don't hate the show as much as other people as I am more tolerant.
One of the drawbacks of the show was the plot and development of it's story. It was all too quick in a rapid succession that I was unable to get the full enjoyment out of the show. The idea of just cutting the show in half so that one focuses on SAO and one on that Fairy game puts me off. I'm just not that intrigued into fairies personally as well.
It has potential, but they screwed it up in the end....well more so just after the first episode. It was all presented quickly and I would've much preferred if they left the setting in the SAO world and developed on the plot there. That would've been much more entertaining as this was probably the aspect of the show that drew in many viewers. But after having discovered that this world can be simply destroyed by killing the creator (which was very anti-climatic, another thing SAO fails to do) would've left many discombobulated and frustrated.
Nevertheless I enjoyed the whole idea of SAO and the art and music. I just lost my interest in watching it around the time the Fairy bit came in.

YES! My thoughts exactly! Though I stopped caring after the timeskips were used and just continued watching to see how the trainwreck concludes.
Mar 28, 2015 8:05 AM
Jul 2018
I liked the first two episodes. The rest were cringeworthy nonsense.
Mar 28, 2015 11:19 PM

Jun 2008
>The haters only hate because it's popular.

Never change, SAO fans.
Mar 29, 2015 2:50 AM
Jan 2013
amateur said:

this

It still has mainstream appeal.

SAO is nowhere near the worst anime ever.

Madoka Magica and Clannad are more shameless in their "@asspull" department.

If any SAO hater is a fan of these shows they are hypocrites.

Mar 29, 2015 9:50 AM

Jan 2014
genesic123 said:
amateur said:

this

It still has mainstream appeal.

Considering that each volume sold ~38k copies and overall sao is in the top20 best selling anime of all time, I wouldn't say it's not popular in Japan. It is also an adaptation of one of the best selling (and one of the best recognized) novels of all time. Not to mention that it often wins multiple anime/novels/fav characters polls in Japan...
Mar 29, 2015 2:07 PM

Jun 2008
genesic123 said:

You mad, or do you always visit the profile of the above poster before making a response?

And since your argument has no sustainable evidence, I can't even respond with anything more than a "lol."
Mar 31, 2015 1:25 AM

Oct 2012
haters gonna hate because its more popular and better than their favorite show
Mar 31, 2015 4:16 PM

Jul 2014
Redfoxoffire said:
>The haters only hate because it's popular.

Never change, SAO fans.
Mar 31, 2015 4:35 PM

Sep 2014
2012 wants its thread back

SAO has good animation, soundtrack and art

But is poorly written, the characters are bland none of them are likable, and the whole story is one fanservice shit-storm with no plot whatsoever

So much potential thrown away
Mar 31, 2015 4:39 PM

Aug 2014
guywholikesanime said:
2012 wants its thread back

SAO has good animation, soundtrack and art

But is poorly written, the characters are bland none of them are likable, and the whole story is one fanservice shit-storm with no plot whatsoever

So much potential thrown away

How is this post still being used ._.
Mar 31, 2015 4:41 PM

Jul 2013
Its acquired the "its cool to hate", you better get used to it.

Regardless, it is shit.
Mar 31, 2015 4:43 PM

Feb 2015
I dislike how they skipped basically everything until the last boss fight, focusing on kirito building his harem and his romance with Asuna and it wouldn't of been much different if it wasn't an mmo but a fantasy setting but i still enjoyed the first half but the second half was awful with the fanservice, incest kirito is also unlikeable and i still don't understand how he survived at the end of the first arc.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 3, 2015 2:45 PM
May 2014
Favorites: 27,978
who care about haters?
SAO I LOVE YOU
Sturgeon's law : 90% of Everything is Crap
Apr 4, 2015 1:46 PM
Sep 2014
Hahahaah, i went with a hate before and didnt want to watch this show for 7 months. But all i can say its one of the best shows out there. No annoying characters, great story, great soundtrack and great art. What more can you ask for.
I find it funny how most of the people who reviewed this anime and rated it under under 5 are bascially haters of mainstream anime hype. Most of them rated all those anime badly. Probably other reviews are the same as for this one searching for little details as " on this scene: there was no shadow, colors of his eyes are different, we already saw game anime, another harem romance, etc. " .
I realised that a while ago and decided when most of reviews says that anime suck its actually good and they are just hype haters. Just ignore them if you want to have fun.
Apr 4, 2015 1:48 PM

Nov 2014
no one cares anymore
Apr 6, 2015 5:30 AM
Jan 2011
Not that anyone will read this but here is my take on it all. Having only reached episode 9, I am not in as good a position to talk about it as some other people.

The fact that this has not improved has disappointed me most of all. Sword Art was huge when I visited Japan, and there were numerous collectible figures. I also have a good friend who cosplays as Asuna. People have told me, hey man, you really gotta see this show. I really wanted it to be good. But instead of a game world where people work together to get out of the world, the game takes a backseat to plots involving characters of the day a la pokemon (except for the fact that they all die at the end of their episodes). The game world itself never even affects Kirito, a 20-level jump can occur in 2 seconds without an explanation, and its easy to forget its a game if not for the health bars. Taking on a high-level boss with brazen shounen action rather than bold strategy just makes this seem like another run-of-the-mill action anime.

Let me preface by saying that I have watched Log Horizon before this. I found that show to be not only engaging, but excellently planned and executed. Amazing and novel characters combined with a completely fleshed-out game world. Perhaps I was spoiled by Log Horizon. I don't know.

And trust me when I say that I didn't come here to hate. I really wanted to like this show. Perhaps it was build up too large in my mind by my friends. The story starts and moves at a breakneck pace. I had to watch the first 4 episodes over again because the story went so fast. Time skips are just passing mentions, and the characters are exactly the same as they seem when they started out. There also seem to be very few rational actors fighting on the front lines. Don't just tell me what people are doing. Show me!

-Dont just introduce a character just to kill them off. Let them stay onscreen for a while then kill them. Do what attack on titan did in its first 6 episodes (see my mini-review on my profile). It is that progression that will make you truly feel for a character. When Diabel or the knights or even Satchi died I never really cared. Don't just tell me that I'm supposed to like these characters. Give me something to like!

I don't think that sword art put a requisite amount of time into its game or its characters. I am unable to get a read on either Kirito or Asuna. Kirito's black knight status and his desire not to divulge his level are not cryptic secrets mores than annoying plot devices. In some instances he will be kind and helpful, in others, he will be standoffish or rude. And Asuna just clings to him as soon as she meets him as if he is the first guy she's seen in years. If love was this easy, we'd be overpopulated. Bipedal animal ax boss on Level 1, Bipedal animal ax boss on level 74. Originality? 0.

That said, the fights are good and the worlds are nice. Maybe if I just watch it for that reason like many other people, its enjoyable. Guess I shouldn't read too far in.
Apr 6, 2015 6:59 AM

Jan 2015
callmetheBigD said:
Not that anyone will read this but here is my take on it all. Having only reached episode 9, I am not in as good a position to talk about it as some other people.

The fact that this has not improved has disappointed me most of all. Sword Art was huge when I visited Japan, and there were numerous collectible figures. I also have a good friend who cosplays as Asuna. People have told me, hey man, you really gotta see this show. I really wanted it to be good. But instead of a game world where people work together to get out of the world, the game takes a backseat to plots involving characters of the day a la pokemon (except for the fact that they all die at the end of their episodes). The game world itself never even affects Kirito, a 20-level jump can occur in 2 seconds without an explanation, and its easy to forget its a game if not for the health bars. Taking on a high-level boss with brazen shounen action rather than bold strategy just makes this seem like another run-of-the-mill action anime.

Let me preface by saying that I have watched Log Horizon before this. I found that show to be not only engaging, but excellently planned and executed. Amazing and novel characters combined with a completely fleshed-out game world. Perhaps I was spoiled by Log Horizon. I don't know.

And trust me when I say that I didn't come here to hate. I really wanted to like this show. Perhaps it was build up too large in my mind by my friends. The story starts and moves at a breakneck pace. I had to watch the first 4 episodes over again because the story went so fast. Time skips are just passing mentions, and the characters are exactly the same as they seem when they started out. There also seem to be very few rational actors fighting on the front lines. Don't just tell me what people are doing. Show me!

-Dont just introduce a character just to kill them off. Let them stay onscreen for a while then kill them. Do what attack on titan did in its first 6 episodes (see my mini-review on my profile). It is that progression that will make you truly feel for a character. When Diabel or the knights or even Satchi died I never really cared. Don't just tell me that I'm supposed to like these characters. Give me something to like!

I don't think that sword art put a requisite amount of time into its game or its characters. I am unable to get a read on either Kirito or Asuna. Kirito's black knight status and his desire not to divulge his level are not cryptic secrets mores than annoying plot devices. In some instances he will be kind and helpful, in others, he will be standoffish or rude. And Asuna just clings to him as soon as she meets him as if he is the first guy she's seen in years. If love was this easy, we'd be overpopulated. Bipedal animal ax boss on Level 1, Bipedal animal ax boss on level 74. Originality? 0.

That said, the fights are good and the worlds are nice. Maybe if I just watch it for that reason like many other people, its enjoyable. Guess I shouldn't read too far in.

I read this and say good post sir.

This post immites my problem with the series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2015 7:32 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
callmetheBigD said:

Well I get your point. I do not agree with every statement but I agree with the opinion that hype is something that affects viewers point of view on this anime.

But for Christ sake put spoiler alert at the beggining. Or use bbcode spoiler. I don't really mind myself because I have finished the show months ago but some people did not, so please don't ruin their fun. I had Clannad: AS spoiled in a similar way and since then I'm allergic to that.
Apr 9, 2015 6:00 PM

Nov 2012
Ehhh. Honestly SAO is pretty to look at and not much else. Ended up dropping after episode four due to the massive time skips, insubstantial side characters, unexplained power ups and the fact that it requires you to turn off your brain for the whole ride.

Interesting premise, terrible execution. SAO in a nutshell.
Apr 9, 2015 6:02 PM

Aug 2014
WERE STILL REPLYING TO THIS POST?
Apr 9, 2015 6:04 PM
Apr 2014
Tehqo said:
ToG25thBaam said:

[yt]IjytC-rIC8U[/ yt]

XD
I like how he has a negative impression on SAO yet still gives it a 6
Apr 9, 2015 6:05 PM

Nov 2012
Tehqo said:
WERE STILL REPLYING TO THIS POST?

Welp got bored. Felt like stating an opinion somewhere, thread wasn't made years ago so no chance of necro, and there you have a new post in a random thread.
Apr 9, 2015 6:08 PM

Aug 2014
Through in-depth discussion and countless threads, the conclusion was that the hate is from people who want to but can't be Kirito.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 9, 2015 6:13 PM

Dec 2012
Konata809 said:
obviously this show is considered damn popular in japan including its sequel over there in japan, but why cant anyone in america have tolerance and have a open mind and just love SAO and SAO 2 for what they are instead of either hating on them because they are popular or hating on them to troll the fans. i myself am a fan of sao and am planning on watching sao 2, i honestly dont see the why trolls and haters hate this series

Simple. To each his own. I don't hate it, but I can't love it. Just MEH. You could have an open mind instead and let others don't like it or hate it, right?
Anyway, you said America, so I guess I could be very intolerant but I'd be safe nevertheless, heh.
Apr 10, 2015 10:15 AM

Jan 2014
QuattroVaginas said:
Through in-depth discussion and countless threads, the conclusion was that the hate is from people who want to but can't be Kirito.

^Genius
Apr 11, 2015 12:46 PM

Jul 2014
QuattroVaginas said:

Where are these countless threads you speak of? link pls.
Apr 16, 2015 4:03 PM
May 2014
SaO 1: Bad

Sao 2: Average
Apr 16, 2015 4:15 PM

Jan 2010
"Most of the hate is not because it's popular. It's because that 2nd part in the first season ruined it."
the first part was shit too.

SAO tried to do like .hack, but failed miserably.
if you want a better experience, you should play .hack quadrilogy on PS2, which is basically a good SAO, or should I say SAO is a bad .hack ?
Final Fantasy VII is a shitty game.
Apr 23, 2015 3:10 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Locked
Duplicate of many topics on this board.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2012

734 by amf85 »»
Yesterday, 7:25 PM

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
Yesterday, 4:03 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2012

705 by amf85 »»
Yesterday, 3:45 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2012

686 by amf85 »»
Yesterday, 3:18 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2012

745 by amf85 »»
Yesterday, 2:43 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.