Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sailor Moon Eternal Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 28, 2014 3:04 PM
Feb 2012
Since Viz Media has given Sailor Moon a brand new dub through Studiopolis, should this new dub air on US television? We managed to get DBZ Kai on Nicktoons and it introduced Dragon Ball to a new generation, I feel Sailor Moon should get similar treatment, especially with the new crystal series. As for where it should be airing? People are going to say Toonami, but honestly, In this day and age, Sailor Moon isn't right for the current Toonami audience outside of Nostalgia, not to mention Sailor Moon is a show for Tween girls, Adult Swim caters to a largely college aged male audience. I know guys who grew up on the original will tune in just to see the Skirts, but the general Adult Swim audience doesn't care about something aimed at 8-14 year old girls IMO.

I think Disney Channel might be a place to start, the right audience for it. There's going to be some editing required however, but as long as it doesn't reach DiC or 4kids levels of adaptation, it should be fine. And if you still don't like the show being censored, buy the uncut releases. I know most anime fans don't watch anime on TV, but I stand by the belief that the more anime on TV the better, it helps kids get into the medium when they get older, it helps people who aren't anime fans to try out a few titles, and it introduces new audiences to beloved classics. Toonami is a start, but there needs to be more.
Oct 28, 2014 3:53 PM

Apr 2014
Sure, why the hell not.
Oct 28, 2014 4:15 PM
Sep 2011
I think if Sailor Moon was to air on any network, it should be on the HUB, alongside FLP:FIM.

It does NOT belong on either Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network, where their executives have zero respect for shows that have plots, shows that have action, and shows that target anything but boys.

http://io9.com/paul-dini-superhero-cartoon-execs-dont-want-largely-f-1483758317

Toonami/Adult Swim doesn't have to sell toys, but as mentioned above, I think the only reason it would ever air on there is nostalgia. Ever since Toonami came back it's been airing a lot of dark and edgy shows and I really don't think Sailor Moon would be accepted on there.
Oct 28, 2014 5:07 PM
Feb 2012
RLinksoul said:
I think if Sailor Moon was to air on any network, it should be on the HUB, alongside FLP:FIM.

It does NOT belong on either Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network, where their executives have zero respect for shows that have plots, shows that have action, and shows that target anything but boys.

http://io9.com/paul-dini-superhero-cartoon-execs-dont-want-largely-f-1483758317

Toonami/Adult Swim doesn't have to sell toys, but as mentioned above, I think the only reason it would ever air on there is nostalgia. Ever since Toonami came back it's been airing a lot of dark and edgy shows and I really don't think Sailor Moon would be accepted on there.

Not to mention while half of what's on Toonami right now is for preteen boys in Japan, they're shows with enough action that can entertain Adult Swim's target audience. Sailor Moon is better suited to a daytime or primetime airing on say, Disney Channel as right now, that's the best place it could air. I don't think The Hub/Discovery Family is a good choice, as MLP is aimed at a slightly younger audience than Moon (roughly 5-10 for FiM, and 10-14 for Moon).

If it were to air on Disney Channel, it would require some censorship of course, but honestly, it probably won't be as bad as what some people might expect. Much like DBZ and anything 4kids touched, Moon was dubbed and edited with first run syndication in mind back when DiC had it, Cable has less restrictions so we could expect roughly 5 or 6 major edits per episode (outside of language edits, and blood censoring).
Oct 28, 2014 9:23 PM

Jan 2013
sailor moon will be on toonami.

its just a matter of when.

oooh he means original sailor moon.

Yeah no chance whatsoever.
Oct 28, 2014 9:57 PM

Mar 2013
RLinksoul said:

The Hub is no longer a thing.
RLinksoul said:
Cartoon Network, where their executives have zero respect for shows that have plots,

Over the Garden Wall.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Oct 29, 2014 2:13 AM
Sep 2011
EvenJellyOn said:

Over the Garden Wall.

The plot part was more directed at Nickelodeon, as the treatment of shows like Avatar has shown.
Oct 29, 2014 2:14 AM

Jan 2013
Nobody is going to air the original sailor moon again.

It's not something the american youth know or care about and it has seriously aged to hell.
Oct 29, 2014 2:18 AM

Sep 2014
Air something better
Oct 29, 2014 2:22 AM

Jun 2014
SolvitePriest said:

It's not something the american youth know or care about and it has seriously aged to hell.

I wouldn't be so sure. Sailor Moon still has a following and I could picture a channel trying it out sometime. American youth don't care about 90s nick, but they brought it back in a block. That's just one example of numerous.
Oct 29, 2014 2:23 AM

Jan 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
SolvitePriest said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Sailor Moon still has a following and I could picture a channel trying it out sometime. American youth don't care about 90s nick, but they brought it back in a block. That's just one example of numerous.

90s nick wasnt dubbed anime.
Oct 29, 2014 2:27 AM

Jun 2014
SolvitePriest said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

It doesn't matter if its dubbed anime, american cartoons or tv shows. Firstly, it being anime holds no meaning. Not all youth would even know its anime and even if they did it still wouldn't matter. I'm not saying its return to American tv is 100%, but I'm not sure why your counting Sailor Moon out when other 90s anime have returned on toonami. Big O for example.
Oct 29, 2014 4:32 AM
Jun 2008
If they broadcast it on American TV, it's going to be on very late night and will still be censored no matter where it's run.

People who want to watch it can just watch it online at their convenience.
Oct 29, 2014 4:33 AM

Jan 2013
npcomplete said:
If they broadcast it on American TV, it's going to be on very late night and will still be censored no matter where it's run.

People who want to watch it can just watch it online at their convenience.

the fuck would you even censor in sailor moon

Kagami_Hiiragi said:
SolvitePriest said:

It doesn't matter if its dubbed anime, american cartoons or tv shows. Firstly, it being anime holds no meaning. Not all youth would even know its anime and even if they did it still wouldn't matter. I'm not saying its return to American tv is 100%, but I'm not sure why your counting Sailor Moon out when other 90s anime have returned on toonami. Big O for example.

Crystal will probably air on toonami after its finished. Sailor moon wont.
Oct 29, 2014 5:40 AM
Jun 2008
SolvitePriest said:
the fuck would you even censor in sailor moon

The transformation scenes and bath scenes and whole host of other scenes, some of it just to make things less foreign in the original CN airing. It's well known how heavily edited it was.

Specific examples here:
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1489254
Oct 29, 2014 2:30 PM

Apr 2010
Thread moved

Thread moved to the Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal board.
Jun 3, 2015 4:02 AM

Dec 2014
As much as I love the original Sailor Moon, I think that Crystal is what needs to be on TV now. It has a much better chance of attracting a new audience in addition to luring in old-time fans like me. As someone posted, the original show has aged considerably. Floppy disks, 90s videos game consoles and the lack of any 21st century technology won't bother those of us who grew up in that era, but it tends to be a turn off for modern children and teens. The animation is no where near the quality that modern shows have now and then there's all that filler. If Sailor Moon airs on TV I think there's a strong possibility it would be in an odd-hour block for classic programming, not a coveted afternoon slot that will attract a lot of viewers. I could be wrong, but I think Crystal has a better chance.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - May 2, 2015

41 by Eziprez »»
Feb 24, 7:25 PM

» Am I the only one who finds Sailor Moon more "traditionally girly" than Tokyo Mew Mew?

removed-user - Jan 18

1 by a0t3a »»
Jan 19, 2:38 AM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2015

40 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 2, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2015

37 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2015

32 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.