Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 22, 2014 7:39 PM

Jan 2013
Anime is great and all that , but Kaneki is such a pussy man , it ruins it for me -.- anyone feels the same ? I mean its ok to feel like him , and dnt wanna kill any1 and that shit , but it feels like his exaggerating a lot ... And guys why kaneki has silver hair in ending of OP ?
Aug 22, 2014 7:44 PM

Jun 2014
I don't know, I think it's better that way so he's not super overpowered and stuff, like other anime mc.
(≧∪≦)ノ
Aug 22, 2014 7:50 PM

Jul 2012
Major plot spoiler

Aug 22, 2014 8:05 PM

Jan 2013
wzrd said:
Major plot spoiler

torture scene ? more info :D and what do you mean he do 180 ( you mean degrees ? like he changes)
Aug 22, 2014 8:06 PM

Jan 2013
RevonMercer said:
You don't like Kaneki but you use him as your profile picture? Weird. Anyway, his character is supposed to show a struggle going from one lifestyle to a drastically different one with no time to adjust. He doesn't stay this way forever.

i like kaneki lol just all that bitching about i wont kill and eat is boring me , it happening for 8 episodes
Aug 22, 2014 8:45 PM

Jul 2012
Shomix said:
wzrd said:
Major plot spoiler

torture scene ? more info :D and what do you mean he do 180 ( you mean degrees ? like he changes)

The manga just eclipses the anime, you should definitely give it a read.
Aug 22, 2014 8:57 PM

Jan 2013
wzrd said:
Shomix said:

so torture is coming soon , maybe in 1 or 2 eps... cnt w8
Aug 22, 2014 9:05 PM

Jul 2012
Shomix said:
wzrd said:

Jeez really? I haven't been keeping up with the anime, I figured it would have ended at the torture. Well that's good, Kankei post-torture is so fucking badass.
Aug 22, 2014 9:47 PM

Jan 2013
wzrd said:
Shomix said:

Jeez really? I haven't been keeping up with the anime, I figured it would have ended at the torture. Well that's good, Kankei post-torture is so fucking badass.
wzrd said:
Shomix said:

yeah anime is at episode 8 , thats when they kill that gray hair old man ... so i guess at episode 10 will be torture or even 11, and with ep 12 ending , and hoping for season 2
Aug 25, 2014 12:06 AM

Jan 2013
The protagonist does not start off OP... That would be freaking boring. They even hint in the "anime" that he is a rare powerful breed. Even if you did not read the manga it is quite apparent something is building in his character.
Aug 25, 2014 3:35 PM

Jan 2013
Vooo said:
The protagonist does not start off OP... That would be freaking boring. They even hint in the "anime" that he is a rare powerful breed. Even if you did not read the manga it is quite apparent something is building in his character.

i didnt want him to be op from strat , yeah its boring that way , just all that bitching all these 8 eps is so ughh -.-
Aug 25, 2014 4:35 PM

Apr 2014
in the manga kaneki is nowhere near as annoying before his transformation. he actually has a few bad ass moments.
Aug 25, 2014 5:06 PM

Jan 2013
onefairyeater said:
in the manga kaneki is nowhere near as annoying before his transformation. he actually has a few bad ass moments.

cnt w8 for transformation :D
Aug 25, 2014 5:29 PM

Jul 2014
Much of the characterization that Kaneki went through in the manga is omitted in the anime. For one both his fight with the scrapper and Amon goes quite differently in the manga especially the scrapper fight. Kaneki is actually very calculating and observant in the manga and relies on past experience to help him fight most of the time, even if it was just training.

Aug 25, 2014 8:55 PM

Dec 2012
Zeebrah said:
I don't know, I think it's better that way so he's not super overpowered and stuff, like other anime mc.
(≧∪≦)ノ

yea but the difference is the anime portrays him alot weaker than he actually is in the manga, i dont know why
Aug 26, 2014 12:29 AM

Nov 2012
Cunning said:
Zeebrah said:
(≧∪≦)ノ

yea but the difference is the anime portrays him alot weaker than he actually is in the manga, i dont know why
because its pierrot and naruto studio
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Aug 29, 2014 1:04 AM

Jul 2012
Dont get your hopes high. With this much censor, we will not see any good torture scenes for sure. Also i dont think anime will go that far this season.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 29, 2014 1:39 AM

Apr 2009
Zeebrah said:
(≧∪≦)ノ

Still, even if they don't want to make him overpowered, at least don't make him a whiny bitch, because it gets on my nerves. As Shomix said, that crap has been going on for eight or so episodes already.

Aug 29, 2014 1:41 AM

Feb 2014
"Little boring"
lol
Aug 29, 2014 4:26 AM

May 2010
I like Kaneki way more than those OP protagonists who are 99 percent of time overconfident of their awesomeness.
Aug 29, 2014 6:59 AM

Aug 2014
True dat OP.

Phaggot Kaneki definitely needs to take some steroids, hit the gym and get a penis enlargement.

Though it still won't be able to save this trainwreck of an anime. ;)
Aug 29, 2014 8:20 AM
Aug 2014
The anime for me, lost its appeal. I picked up for I loved intense kanaki in first 2 episodes. To be human or not, him against him. That was it. The anime failed miserably to keep up to its own standards. It went pale and took the average road.
Aug 29, 2014 8:44 AM
Dec 2011
Well I think the rearranging arcs things did affect the characterization of Kaneki a little bit. The mangaka really did a good job with Kaneki's development from one phase to another with the influence of what happening around him according to the arc.

SOME SPOILER AHEAD

Prologue ---> full ordinary human
right after he turned into ghoul --> panicked half human half ghoul
Dove arc ---> half human half-ass ghoul
Gourmet arc --> half human with some improvised of his ghoul side
Aogiri Arc until Anteiku raid --> f*cked up half human and almost gave in his ghoul side
after this whole Anteiku-CCG war (this is yet but I can see it coming from the latest chapter) ---> proper half human half ghoul

Well, in manga he's not as whiny as in the anime. It was only during the moment he turned into ghoul until the Dove arc period and he got lot better in Gourmet arc.

Gourmet arc was supposed to highlight his improvement as a ghoul and how he slowly blends in the ghoul world. After/during the Dove arc he trained himself to get stronger and it's shown how fast he improved thanks to his fast learning brain and the result of his training we can see in the Gourmet arc.

but in anime

Prologue --> bitchy Kaneki
Gourmet arc --> bitchy and surprised!panicked! Kaneki got into a sudden fight with Tsukiyama.
Dove arc--> bitchy Kaneki again not able to do anything.
lilymulAug 29, 2014 8:48 AM
Aug 29, 2014 12:36 PM

Dec 2013
I just wish this anime had some kind of goal that it can proggress towards. Now we are all hoping for this ''transformation'' which is technically a spoiler, which means we ( you actually ) are hooked on a spoiler not on the storyline.

Without this spoiler, I don't even know why would anyone watch this besides some fancy battles, which also can be questioned. Well this is my opinion.
Aug 30, 2014 2:27 PM

Jan 2013
they ruined it with kaneki being such a bitch ... i dnt read manga , but man grow a pair , its ok for him not to be op as fuck , and for him to learn , but stop bitching last 8 episodes man ...
Feb 7, 2015 7:56 AM
Jan 2015
Shomix said:
Anime is great and all that , but Kaneki is such a pussy man , it ruins it for me -.- anyone feels the same ? I mean its ok to feel like him , and dnt wanna kill any1 and that shit , but it feels like his exaggerating a lot ... And guys why kaneki has silver hair in ending of OP ?

There's other characters that I like more in Tokyo Ghoul which keeps me interested in watching it. Yeah, Kaneki is a softie, but if you hang in there he changes dramatically, the silver hair is explained along with his change. He doesn't want to kill, because he wants to retain his humanity of their being another way to solve problems.
Feb 7, 2015 7:58 AM
Jan 2015
TragicRomance said:
I like Kaneki way more than those OP protagonists who are 99 percent of time overconfident of their awesomeness.

I agree. I rather watch a character who isn't op mature over the episodes than someone who is already op from the start. It's not like Kaneki is super weak tho, he acknowledges that he can only do so much, but wants to become stronger and actually takes an action to do it than stay complaining about it.
Feb 7, 2015 8:04 AM
Jan 2015
robis798 said:
I just wish this anime had some kind of goal that it can proggress towards. Now we are all hoping for this ''transformation'' which is technically a spoiler, which means we ( you actually ) are hooked on a spoiler not on the storyline.

Without this spoiler, I don't even know why would anyone watch this besides some fancy battles, which also can be questioned. Well this is my opinion.

I watch it because of shuu tsukiyama. So, I'm bias about why I watch it. It did get kind of dull for me whenever Shuu, Rize influences or Anon wasn't in the episode. It's probably bad, since Kaneki is the main character and I don't really look forward to see him.
Feb 21, 2015 11:05 AM
May 2014
Funny I was never bothered by Kaneki and I am really easily annoyed when I don't like the MCs... The first 2 episodes as someone said espcially he was pretty nice, after that the show got a bit dull but not really because of Kaneki, I never felt that the story was being dragged down by him because although he is the main focus the show still tries to gives other likeable characters with some relevance instead of being completely Kaneki centered (which I really like in a show).

I think he was just fine and it made sense for his character, he didn't inverse development or anything like that and he's completely justified.

Also personally I find way more annoying when the MCs overstimate themselves and then end up freaking getting a power up out of nowhere to save their asses when they decide to take on a guy who would have wrecked them.
tesla21Feb 21, 2015 11:09 AM
Feb 21, 2015 11:06 AM

Dec 2012
No, Kaneki was great from the beginning.
Feb 23, 2015 12:29 PM

Sep 2014
I have just gotten myself through this series, and I must say I agree with OP. I had high hopes for this one, but it really gave me nothing. For me the whole thing was generic, it just didn't catch my interest, and all the whining did not exactly help....

Most main characters tend to grow on me, but not Kaneki. Glad to read that the manga is better :p
Feb 23, 2015 11:23 PM
Aug 2014
Grubelgrub said:
I have just gotten myself through this series, and I must say I agree with OP. I had high hopes for this one, but it really gave me nothing. For me the whole thing was generic, it just didn't catch my interest, and all the whining did not exactly help....

Most main characters tend to grow on me, but not Kaneki. Glad to read that the manga is better :p

The anime condenses ~70 chapters into 12 episodes.

It's a pacing issue.
Behold! The way is clear! We're free! I, the mad scientist, Hououin Kyouma, have triumphed under a twofold assault, from SERN and the Organization, by twisting the very fundamentals of time and space! The world as we know it has been put to rights, and a future of chaos awaits us. This, my friends, is the choice of Steins;Gate!
Feb 23, 2015 11:40 PM

Dec 2013
Don't forgot the rest of the cast and the story.
Feb 24, 2015 2:28 AM

Sep 2014
Nibelungen said:

The anime condenses ~70 chapters into 12 episodes.

It's a pacing issue.

That explains it.
Feb 24, 2015 2:31 AM
Jul 2018
Mmmmm tokyo ghoul isn't perfect in the slightest.

also do the writers of the anime even know what character development is?

also fuck all that censoring im sick of it.
Feb 25, 2015 7:47 PM

Aug 2013
Still a great anime. Review the anime against itself not against other anime. Each piece is unique despite similar genre/aesthetics/elements.
I'm not the protagonist of a novel or anything, I'm a college student who likes to read, like you could find anywhere. But, if for argument's sake, you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be a tragedy. - Kaneki Ken
Feb 27, 2015 6:06 AM

Sep 2014
DarkerThanLight said:
Still a great anime. Review the anime against itself not against other anime. Each piece is unique despite similar genre/aesthetics/elements.

I see your point, but the thruth is that everyone watching it is comparing it to the other animes they've watched, whether it's intentional or not. Noone can be 100% objective.

I rate animes after a lot of things, but whether the anime and the characters exite me or not is an important part. When the story seems rushed and the MC is...well....like he is, I can't give this one a high score....
Feb 27, 2015 8:23 AM

Apr 2014
Naisto said:
Mmmmm tokyo ghoul isn't perfect in the slightest.

also do the writers of the anime even know what character development is?

so he gets tortured a bunch and now he is super strong, 10/10 for character development there guise (also shoutout to wardo for showing me the light even though he hates me i still luv u man)

He was already strong and had the kagune of an S rated ghoul but didn't want to really on the ghoul powers since he couldn't control it in the beginning.

Also that's not what character development means lol.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CharacterDevelopment

Naisto said:
also fuck all that censoring im sick of it.

Uncensored version was out months ago. Why did you even watch this censored?
Mar 7, 2015 10:20 AM
Mar 2014
The main problem is that Anime Kaneki IS going to get a straight shounen power up (for all intents and purposes) because he's been weak and useless the entire anime. They tried to show moments of him growing, but due to so much actual character development being removed it feels contrived or superficial (or happens so fast you'll blink and miss it).

Manga Kaneki didn't have that because his level of power didn't change (he's as strong at the end of the Aogiri arc that he was during his first (real) fight in the series), just his combat experience and resolve has improved, nothing more. (such as when he WRECKS the scrapper in the manga, while anime kaneki just sits around and pisses his pants wanting for someone to save him during that point)

Not to mention.....there's subtly personality differences, like in his very first encounter with danger....Manga Kaneki fights, Anime Kaneki flees.
Jan 14, 2016 9:27 AM

Jun 2010
Yeah, he should grow a pair of balls. He's hopeless and annoying all the time. Had this same thing with the MC in Deadman Wonderland. Everytime they get mad, they're able to do something. Pathetic,
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

843 by Fauxquse »»
Apr 4, 11:47 AM

» Tokyo Ghoul ss3 killed all the hope I have for this series

DatajI - Mar 9

4 by zero00guard »»
Mar 12, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

349 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 8, 11:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

430 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 7, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

319 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 6, 10:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.