Forum Settings
Forums

Which is more important to you. An anime's quality or an anime's popularity?

New
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2014 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
Red_Keys said:
This is a retarded thread.

Obviously more people are going to be aware of and open to discussion about popular shows than they are about less popular "quality" shows. Because that's the fucking definition of "popular".

Are you always on your period?
Apr 9, 2014 12:17 PM
Jan 2014
Quality.

Although it does seem the 3 B's can increase a show's popularity regardless of its quality.

Boobs, Babes and Blood.
Apr 9, 2014 12:17 PM

Apr 2009
Quality > all.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 9, 2014 12:18 PM

Apr 2012
Fiction-S said:
Red_Keys said:

Obviously more people are going to be aware of and open to discussion about popular shows than they are about less popular "quality" shows. Because that's the fucking definition of "popular".

Tallon should marry this guy. KAWAI COUPLE DESU!

Apr 9, 2014 12:20 PM

Dec 2011
Bad question is bad. Quality>Popularity. If discussing popular things is what you want, talk about Justin Beiber
text27 said:
yes if you read the whole thing...robots will only kill the people you put in-front of them so yeah.

RandomChampion said:
u were that homie in the thong werent u
Apr 9, 2014 12:21 PM

Sep 2012
Zeally said:
Fiction-S said:
Red_Keys said:

De... DEMO Hulmy-chan?
Apr 9, 2014 12:22 PM

Nov 2011
Zeally said:
Fiction-S said:
Red_Keys said:

Their isn't a tampon on earth big enough for either of them.
Apr 9, 2014 12:23 PM

Nov 2011
Indoctrination said:
Quality.

Although it does seem the 3 B's can increase a show's popularity regardless of its quality.

Boobs, Babes and Blood.

Most people here seem to be horrified of violence.
Apr 9, 2014 12:24 PM

Sep 2012
People die when they are killed -Shirou Emiya

Fun things are fun -Yui Hirasawa

Popular shows are popular -BlackSabotage

We're making history here.
Apr 9, 2014 12:24 PM

Mar 2012
BlackSabotage said:
Why do people care so much whether or not they can chat about a certain anime?
That's ironic coming from you, given how many threads you make about what people think about stuff you like and overall popularity.
Apr 9, 2014 12:25 PM

Jul 2013
What order do I watch Monogatari
Apr 9, 2014 12:29 PM

Nov 2010
yazio said:
BlackSabotage said:
That's ironic coming from you, given how many threads you make about what people think about stuff you like and overall popularity.
He even made one of those threads asking(or rather complaining) why his favorite anime wasn't as popular and well received as another anime with a similar theme.
Apr 9, 2014 12:30 PM
Jul 2018
Zeally said:
Fiction-S said:
Red_Keys said:

What's an Tallon?

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
yazio said:
BlackSabotage said:
He even made one of those threads asking(or rather complaining) why his favorite anime wasn't as popular and well received as another anime with a similar theme.

Did I ever mention I hate you?

Sep 2012
I take it back.

This thread is fucking gold.
Apr 9, 2014 12:31 PM

Nov 2011
Red_Keys said:

You I hate most. Everyone's a hypocrite but you gloat about your hypocrisy with pride.
Apr 9, 2014 12:32 PM

Nov 2011
Fiction-S said:
Zeally said:
Fiction-S said:
Red_Keys said:

What's an Tallon?

I recall he's a guy who drops the f bomb like crazy and will chew you the hell out.
Apr 9, 2014 12:32 PM

Aug 2012
Neither. What matters is if I like it or not.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 9, 2014 12:34 PM

Nov 2013
Popularity.
I find it entertaining to try and see why popular anime are popular and be elitist.

No, seriously. Its either life talk or anime/game talk with the people I know. And the people I know aren't 100+ anime watchers.
Apr 9, 2014 12:36 PM

Jul 2013
Tallon is just strongly opinionated which rubs people the wrong way when they don't agree with him and he rips them a new one.
Apr 9, 2014 12:36 PM

Nov 2010
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
yazio said:
BlackSabotage said:

Did I ever mention I hate you?
Tsundra?
Apr 9, 2014 12:38 PM

Nov 2011
hybreezy said:
Tallon is just strongly opinionated which rubs people the wrong way when they don't agree with him and he rips them a new one.
I'm strongly opinionated. Tallon needs a tampon.
Apr 9, 2014 12:39 PM
Aug 2012
Fiction-S said:
Zeally said:
Fiction-S said:
Red_Keys said:

What's an Tallon?
That other really angry guy.
Apr 9, 2014 12:40 PM

Mar 2014
Red_Keys said:

Those are good quotes, they will be famous for my future children.
Apr 9, 2014 12:41 PM

Sep 2012
Fiction-S said:
Zeally said:
Fiction-S said:
Red_Keys said:

What's an Tallon?
That guy that shits on people and makes me /popcorn.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 9, 2014 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
PartyPeasant said:
Fiction-S said:
Zeally said:
Fiction-S said:
Red_Keys said:

What's an Tallon?
That other really angry guy.

I'm not sure I even... :3
Apr 9, 2014 12:45 PM

Feb 2010
What a fun thread this has become. And I almost wrote a serious reply.

hybreezy said:

Trust me, the only issue with him is that he immediately starts insulting everybody he replies to when he doesn't agree with them. Even if he's correcting a typo he'll call you 'dimwit' in the process, even if he's telling people that their shitposts are against the rules, he'll insult them in the process, also breaking the rules. He's a hypocrite that never cares about the subject matter as long as he finds a fault or fallacy he can point out while calling the person who committed said fault or fallacy a 'stupid fucking idiot'. Not that he isn't often right, but that's not how someone argues that cares about making a point, that's how someone argues who simply gets joy from talking down to others. Red_keys is awfully polite compared to Tallon.

Please don't make it sound like having and arguing opinions is a reason to dislike someone. It's all about the tone and how one chooses to express himself when communicating with others.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 9, 2014 12:46 PM

Jul 2013
BlackSabotage said:
hybreezy said:
I'm strongly opinionated. Tallon needs a tampon.

what would he do with it doe

Higashi_no_Kaze said:

hybreezy said:

Trust me, the only issue with him is that he immediately starts insulting everybody he replies to when he doesn't agree with them. Even if he's correcting a typo he'll call you 'dimwit' in the process, even if he's telling people that their shitposts are against the rules, he'll insult them in the process, also breaking the rules. He's a hypocrite that never cares about the subject matter as long as he finds a fault or fallacy he can point out while calling the person who committed said fault or fallacy a 'stupid fucking idiot'. Not that he isn't often right, but that's not how someone argues that cares about making a point, that's how someone argues who simply gets joy from talking down to others.

Please don't make it sound like having and arguing opinions is a reason to dislike someone. It's all about the tone and how one chooses to express himself when communicating with others.

well yeah I don't necessarily disagree with this
Apr 9, 2014 12:48 PM

Sep 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

hybreezy said:

Trust me, the only issue with him is that he immediately starts insulting everybody he replies to when he doesn't agree with them. Even if he's correcting a typo he'll call you 'dimwit' in the process, even if he's telling people that their shitposts are against the rules, he'll insult them in the process, also breaking the rules. He's a hypocrite that never cares about the subject matter as long as he finds a fault or fallacy he can point out while calling the person who committed said fault or fallacy a 'stupid fucking idiot'. Not that he isn't often right, but that's not how someone argues that cares about making a point, that's how someone argues who simply gets joy from talking down to others. Red_keys is awfully polite compared to Tallon.

huh

I tend to insult the shit out of people I argue with but people never really call me out on it.

weird
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 9, 2014 12:50 PM

Dec 2011
Doesn't that mean they are just ignoring you?
text27 said:
yes if you read the whole thing...robots will only kill the people you put in-front of them so yeah.

RandomChampion said:
u were that homie in the thong werent u
Apr 9, 2014 12:51 PM

Jan 2013
Korrvo said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

hybreezy said:

huh

I tend to insult the shit out of people I argue with but people never really call me out on it.

weird

fuck yo shit nigga
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 9, 2014 12:52 PM

Feb 2010
Korrvo said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

hybreezy said:

huh

weird

I've seen you post a lot and you are fairly nice, don't kid yourself :P.
Apr 9, 2014 12:53 PM

Sep 2012
skyzblue said:

fuck yo shit nigga
reported

Higashi_no_Kaze said:

I've seen you post a lot and you are fairly nice, don't kid yourself :P.
Damn.

Maybe I'm not arguing enough.
Apr 9, 2014 12:53 PM

Sep 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Red_keys is awfully polite compared to Tallon.
That's what 14 bans does to you :/

BlackSabotage said:
You I hate most. Everyone's a hypocrite but you gloat about your hypocrisy with pride.
What the hell are you talking about?
Apr 9, 2014 12:55 PM

Nov 2013
Red_Keys said:

How could you forget "dogs eat dog food" -Paul von Oberstein
Apr 9, 2014 12:56 PM

Jan 2013
Korrvo said:
skyzblue said:

fuck yo shit nigga
reported

B-b-but the mods say that too..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 9, 2014 12:56 PM

Feb 2010
Korrvo said:
skyzblue said:

fuck yo shit nigga
reported

reported for announcing your report.

Red_Keys said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Makes sense. Though my 1 ban has only made me more determined to deal out righteous insults in the rare opportunities where they equal justice.
Apr 9, 2014 12:59 PM

Nov 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

hybreezy said:

I don't hate any one for having a different opinion, but I like to debate just hate how they never turn out civil. Most of my insults are actually meant to be tongue in cheek. Introverturtle pisses me off but I don't legitimately hate him.

I am interested in your serious reply though.
Apr 9, 2014 12:59 PM

Nov 2010
Red_Keys said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Tallon is probably near that too. He even insults the mods publicly, yet he's still the same.
Apr 9, 2014 1:00 PM

Jul 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Korrvo said:
skyzblue said:

fuck yo shit nigga
reported

reported for announcing your report.

Red_Keys said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Makes sense. Though my 1 ban has only made me more determined to deal out righteous insults in the rare opportunities where they equal justice.

Rorshach would be proud
Apr 9, 2014 1:01 PM

Sep 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

All my ban has done as made me determined not to make quality threads anymore.

Everyone's a critic.
Apr 9, 2014 1:02 PM

Nov 2011
Red_Keys said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

BlackSabotage said:
What the hell are you talking about?

I mean your a hypocrite, and your proud of it. I'm a hypocrite but I'm trying to work on that. Most people are hypocrites but overlook their hypocrisy.
Apr 9, 2014 1:03 PM

Apr 2012
Korrvo said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Everyone's a critic.

were they lupadim quality? :3

Oct 2009
i like anime

Sep 2012
Zeally said:
Korrvo said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Everyone's a critic.

were they lupadim quality? :3
It was so quality it even said quality in the title.

Sep 2012
I've never been banned even once. Don't know how it's possible to be banned from this forums unless you ask for it.
Apr 9, 2014 1:04 PM

Sep 2012
BlackSabotage said:
I mean your a hypocrite, and your proud of it. I'm a hypocrite but I'm trying to work on that. Most people are hypocrites but overlook their hypocrisy.
I can throw out random insults too. Doesn't make them true.

If you actually have reasons to call me a hypocrite, I'd love to hear them. That's what I originally meant by "what the hell are you talking about".
Apr 9, 2014 1:05 PM

Aug 2012
SetsukoHara said:
I've never been banned even once. Don't know how it's possible to be banned from this forums unless you ask for it.
Probably for doing exactly what we're doing right now.

Worst I've ever gotten was a warning though. It was for some stupid ass shit I posted in a lupadim thread.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 9, 2014 1:06 PM

Sep 2012
SetsukoHara said:
I've been banned for directly quoting Toy Story.
Apr 9, 2014 1:07 PM

Feb 2010
BlackSabotage said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

hybreezy said:

I don't hate any one for having a different opinion, but I like to debate just hate how they never turn out civil. Most of my insults are actually meant to be tongue in cheek. Introverturtle pisses me off but I don't legitimately hate him.

I am interested in your serious reply though.

It's funny because in my experience Intro is the nicest guy and still patiently answers stupid questions in thread where I either just troll or snap at the OP. I don't even know how the beef between you two started.

Anyway, my serious reply was along the lines of popularity (number of viewers) and 'quality' (as in high rating) kinda go hand in hand on MAL. Not every popular show will get a high rating, but it's almost impossible for an unpopular show (a few hundred or a few thousand viewers tops) to get a rating above 8 or 8.5 because of all the casuals who rate everything 9 or higher, while unpopular shows are mostly watched by people who have bigger lists and/or use the full scale of ratings. So a show with a few hundred votes and an average of 7.8 or something is likely to be as good as a popular 8.8 rated show, and a popular show in the 6.xx range is likely to be crap while unpopular shows in the 6.xx range can be any kind of quality.
So if you pick your shows by rating you'll still end up with almost exclusively popular shows. I think that may be why it seems to you that a lot of people value popularity over quality (ratings and reviews are really the only thing you can use to judge the potential quality of a show before you've actually seen it).
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 54 minutes ago

11 by Spunkert »»
28 seconds ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

58 by maya2003s »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

31 by Reecey91 »»
2 minutes ago

» What if all characters, not just main, had infinite mana?

Catalano - 3 minutes ago

0 by Catalano »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

15 by Largo_ »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.