Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone else want a change in today's anime?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2014 5:55 AM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:
Heredity said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

I laughed when you put good and this http://myanimelist.net/anime/21273/Gochuumon_wa_Usagi_Desu_ka into one sentence :D

if that's not the exact type of garbage show that the OP was complaining about then I don't know xD
What's the appeal of this? do you hate stories where there's actually a plot and not just little girls pandering to the otaku fanbase?
why do people say things like this?

It's like Symbv said. Some people in the western fanbase are too obsessed with 'plot', while the Japanese fans can appreciate other stuff, and are not too fixated on one thing.

not even the characters in those tpye of shows are good. once again. it's just pandering to the otaku fanbase and anybody could write these kind of stories...
Apr 3, 2014 5:56 AM

Aug 2012
rederoin said:
Bombolz said:
rederoin said:
Bombolz said:
rederoin said:
Bombolz said:
[

Even if those anime are good, it doesn't mean that I am wrong in saying that more than other genres, there are typically SoL, Romance etc... which you also seem to mention.

If you think we got a lot of SoL anime, then you really gotta watch more anime.

I was just talking about recent anime being more likely SoL or romance - that type of stuff, not all anime. - Just recent ones.

I'm talking about recent anime, genius.

Well, from the looks of it, - end of 2013, there seems to be a lot of Sol/Romance/Drama/Fanservice/School/ cute characters.

Do I really need to keep repeating myself?

No, I was just saying, that my point was that there are more of these genres, not that EVERYTHING was in that category.
Apr 3, 2014 5:57 AM
Nov 2008
tsudecimo said:
Heredity said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

I laughed when you put good and this http://myanimelist.net/anime/21273/Gochuumon_wa_Usagi_Desu_ka into one sentence :D

if that's not the exact type of garbage show that the OP was complaining about then I don't know xD
What's the appeal of this? do you hate stories where there's actually a plot and not just little girls pandering to the otaku fanbase?

It's like Symbv said. Some people in the western fanbase are too obsessed with 'plot', while the Japanese fans can appreciate other stuff, and are not too fixated on one thing.
but shows like gochuumon do have a plot - it's just not about the world or a city on the verge of destruction thanks to some evil entity. as such, asking if people 'hate stories where there's actually a plot' makes no sense. it implies plots can only be the most basic form of conflict resolution.

like, i don't know about you guys but seeing two girls figure out how to open a jar with a stuck lid for 15 minutes is just the cutest thing.
Apr 3, 2014 5:58 AM

Jan 2013
Nikoreo said:
TheNaturalPerm said:
tsudecimo said:
Heredity said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

not even the characters in those tpye of shows are good. once again. it's just pandering to the otaku fanbase

You completely misread what he had to say as if only your opinion matters. There's a flaw in some watchers in which they only focus too much on plot, not necessarily hate it, but can at least appreciate anime without a "good plot."

I can appreciate a k-on once in a while. but for it to be 30% of new anime to come out? that's just too much
Apr 3, 2014 6:02 AM
Nov 2008
TheNaturalPerm said:
I can appreciate a k-on once in a while. but for it to be 30% of new anime to come out? that's just too much
aren't the other '70%' anime about saving the world in some way?

let me have my mellow storylines. i like anime too.
Apr 3, 2014 6:04 AM

Mar 2008
Heredity said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

This world ain't big enough for the lot of us. Someone must pay, and it won't be the plotless loli shows.
Apr 3, 2014 6:05 AM

Dec 2012
TheNaturalPerm said:

not even the characters in those tpye of shows are good. once again. it's just pandering to the otaku fanbase and anybody could write these kind of stories...

No, you can't write better. They are interesting, funny, quirky, likable, etc. That makes them ''good'' in the eyes of those who like these types of anime. Some people are not interested in a plot driven story, or a heavy drama and action. They just want a relaxing, care free SoL series with characters they like. There is nothing bad or wrong about that. Every type of anime has it merits that depend on the viewer and their perspective. You don't get to decide what people should perceive as good or crap.

Heredity said:
but shows like gochuumon do have a plot - it's just not about the world or a city on the verge of destruction thanks to some evil entity. as such, asking if people 'hate stories where there's actually a plot' makes no sense. it implies plots can only be the most basic form of conflict resolution.

like, i don't know about you guys but seeing two girls figure out how to open a jar with a stuck lid for 15 minutes is just the cutest thing.

They mean plot driven stories. Shows like NNB or K-On do have a plot in the general sense, but it's not plot/story driven.
Apr 3, 2014 6:07 AM

Jan 2013
Heredity said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

unfortunately the other 65% are ecchi harems or some shonen saving the world. :D

don't get me wrong. It's perfectly fine with me to have 2-3 moe shows a season. but not...15.
Apr 3, 2014 6:08 AM
Nov 2008
tsudecimo said:
They mean plot driven stories. Shows like NNB or K-On do have a plot in the general sense, but it's not plot/story driven.
right, it's character driven - more attention is given to characters than setting. and, well, i like that. characters draw me to an anime more than the initial plot set to be resolved.

of course though, one could argue that the plot of a show like k-on is actually driven by the natural process of attending high school.

TheNaturalPerm said:

unfortunately the other 65% are ecchi harems or some shonen saving the world. :D

don't get me wrong. It's perfectly fine with me to have 2-3 moe shows a season. but not...15.
there are 51 new anime starting this coming season, and you think 2-3 moe shows within that is all there should be of that type. my oh me oh my.
no-thanksApr 3, 2014 6:11 AM
Apr 3, 2014 6:14 AM

Jan 2013
Nikoreo said:
TheNaturalPerm said:
Heredity said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

Yeah, I'm just not going to bother dealing with your deluded statements anymore.

I think the general anime fanbase got worse, not the anime itself.

you are free to do so xD I think you are actually the butthurt one though lol. and you are right about the fanbase gettin worse. they tend to be happy with less and less actual content in a show haha. just get some lil girls in there and your show will do just fine. they'll love it to death ^^
Apr 3, 2014 6:17 AM

Dec 2012
Heredity said:
tsudecimo said:
right, it's character driven - more attention is given to characters than setting. and, well, i like that. characters draw me to an anime more than the initial plot set to be resolved.

of course though, one could argue that the plot of a show like k-on is actually driven by the natural process of attending high school.

I don't really think you can call them character driven. They just have focus on their everyday life, their actions doesn't affect any sort of plot forward. There is no clear progression or plot development or character development for the most part. They are non-serious and mostly comedic.

No, I don't think you can argue that, it's just a plot point.

A character driven series typically would be a romance/drama, since the plot revolves around the characters, their developments, their relationships and their decisions and actions that moves the plot forward and create plot progression, something like Toradora for example.
Apr 3, 2014 6:17 AM

Sep 2012
I'd rather the shitty writers stick to what they're doing. I find terrible SOL to be a lot more bearable than terrible action.

Especially if you're gonna use death as a major theme. Cause then you get shit like Pupa, or Mahou Shoujo of the End, and your story turns into nothing but cheap gore fanservice.

So let the shit writers make money pandering to the audiences that give them money. Don't encourage them to step out of their bounds and start ruining other genres.
Apr 3, 2014 6:19 AM

Dec 2012
Red_Keys said:
I'd rather the shitty writers stick to what they're doing. I find terrible SOL to be a lot more bearable than terrible action.

Especially if you're gonna use death as a major theme. Cause then you get shit like Pupa, or Mahou Shoujo of the End, and your story turns into nothing but cheap gore fanservice.

So let the shit writers make money pandering to the audiences that give them money. Don't encourage them to step out of their bounds and start ruining other genres.

You watched so little, yet...
Apr 3, 2014 6:25 AM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:
...yet I form opinions on the content I read/watch..?

It's cool that you want to advertise to everybody that you're a bigger nerd than I am, but I don't really see your point.
Apr 3, 2014 6:26 AM

Aug 2013
It's really annoying when the writers/producers/professional thinkers are too afraid to write in "broken hearts" when there are more than one interest in many romances. Of course, there are some, but most seem to just leave the last episode as something along the lines of one interest saying to another "I won't lose!"

And then....fin
Apr 3, 2014 6:26 AM
Nov 2008
tsudecimo said:
A character driven series typically would be a romance/drama, since the plot revolves around the characters, their developments, their relationships and their decisions and actions that moves the plot forward and create plot progression, something like Toradora for example.
um, and that's exactly what happens in your typical slice of life series is it not?

They just have focus on their everyday life, their actions doesn't affect any sort of plot forward.
well, yes their actions do move the easygoing plot along. it's like you're implying characters sit in one spot and never do anything, never converse, never develop, never anything. character actions and decisions can change the dynamic of the group.

i'd imagine you'd need to to be pretty blind to the character develop and social dynamic of a slice of life series to not even recognise something like one character slowly progressing from hanging out and being friends with character a to character b over the source of 12-13 episodes.

yuru-yuri is a great example of a character driven story. to imply nothing changed or developed over the course of two seasons would be silly. the main character akari's development, subtlety forming a strong relationship with china was excellent.

hey man, don't pull that card. don't pull it on him and i won't pull it on you.
Apr 3, 2014 6:27 AM

Dec 2012
> bigger nerd
> 11099

ye
Apr 3, 2014 6:32 AM

Aug 2009
We need to go back to 4:3.

Apr 3, 2014 6:34 AM

Aug 2013
People like to get butthurt or automatically derail threads like these but the fact of the matter is that there is a lack of certain anime and an abundance of other types of anime. It is a lot easier to find sol or romcom anime than crime drama anime or steampunk anime or historical anime not set in Japan or China etc. Anime fans should stop trying to hide or deny that fact.
Apr 3, 2014 6:36 AM
Aug 2013
I want a market where Samurai Flamenco can at least break even. And some shit like Infinite Stratos seels a shit ton. Anime is fucked, I say.
Apr 3, 2014 6:36 AM

Mar 2008
DrGeroCreation said:
People like to get butthurt or automatically derail threads like these but the fact of the matter is that there is a lack of certain anime and an abundance of other types of anime. It is a lot easier to find sol or romcom anime than crime drama anime or steampunk anime or historical anime not set in Japan or China etc. Anime fans should stop trying to hide or deny that fact.
No kidding, Japan should be making historical anime about America and Great Britain. Oh wait...

But I don't think anyone's denying that there's a good load of SoL and romcom? Nor is anyone denying there's a hefty load of superpowered action schlock.

The fact of the matter is, that those genres some people are pining for are going to be covered by Japan's live-action TV shows, so there's really no reason for anime to double up on that.
CkanApr 3, 2014 6:40 AM
Apr 3, 2014 6:38 AM
Nov 2008
DrGeroCreation said:
it actually seems to depend on the season.

take a look at summer of this year compared to the upcoming spring. summer is clearly presenting a very different type of anime than spring is. there is no 'lack' of anything, only optimal airing seasons. all media operates in a similar sense, different times of year for different types of things.
Apr 3, 2014 6:41 AM

Dec 2012
Heredity said:
um, and that's exactly what happens in your typical slice of life series is it not?

The characters in ''cute girls doing cute stuff''don't have character developments, their actions are merely for the amusement/entertainment of the viewer. The relationships are mostly static. They don't have serious decisions that affect plot progression, since there is no actual structure for a continuous narrative.

well, yes their actions do move the easygoing plot along. it's like you're implying characters sit in one spot and never do anything, never converse, never develop, never anything. character actions and decisions can change the dynamic of the group.

Not really. Compare the dynamic of the group in Toradora from it's beginning till it's end to K-on's. I mean they just drink tea and goof around, the music is a background thing, and not a real focus, to initiate developments in characters, relationships and the plot.

i'd imagine you'd need to to be pretty blind to the character develop and social dynamic of a slice of life series to not even recognise something like one character slowly progressing from hanging out and being friends with character a to character b over the source of 12-13 episodes.

yuru-yuri is a great example of a character driven story. to imply nothing changed or developed over the source of two seasons would be silly.

The problem here is the amount of actual focus it's given, compared to the nonsensical comedy, which happens to be the purpose of the show. Yeah..that's not something I can call ''development'', that's just an event related to that character. The 'driven' relates to how much the character move the continuous narrative forward, and how much the narrative depends on their actions, and the change in their relationships. What I'm basically saying is that a comedy SoL like K-On, NNB, Lucky Star can't be called 'character driven'.

I don't know, I dropped Yuru Yuri.

Chuu2 is something I can call character driven for the most part, despite being a ''moe'' anime.
Apr 3, 2014 6:43 AM

Nov 2011
Heredity said:

TheNaturalPerm said:

there are 51 new anime starting this coming season, and you think 2-3 moe shows within that is all there should be of that type. my oh me oh my.

62*

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Apr 3, 2014 6:46 AM

Jul 2012
portgas123 said:
I want a market where Samurai Flamenco can at least break even. And some shit like Infinite Stratos seels a shit ton. Anime is fucked, I say.

^
Apr 3, 2014 6:46 AM

Aug 2013
Ckan said:
DrGeroCreation said:
No kidding, Japan should be making historical anime about America and Great Britain. Oh wait...

But I don't think anyone's denying that there's a good load of SoL and romcom? Nor is anyone denying there's a hefty load of superpowered action schlock.

The fact of the matter is, that those genres some people are pining for are going to be covered by Japan's live-action TV shows, so there's really no reason for anime to double up on that.
Some people prefer animated to live action. Also of course I know most historical anime would be based on Japanese history but it wouldn't hurt if there were more anime based on the history of other countries. Hollywood is American yet doesn't only make American historical movies but also historical movies based on other countries histories. @Heredity There are no steampunk or crime drama anime on that chart.
DrGeroCreationApr 3, 2014 6:53 AM
Apr 3, 2014 6:49 AM

Nov 2011
DrGeroCreation said:

Some people prefer animated to live action. @Heredity There are no steampunk or crime drama anime on that chart.

That is your problem, not that of the industry.

Apr 3, 2014 6:49 AM

Aug 2012
You bet I do. I want to see more dubs for everything except moe anime.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 3, 2014 6:50 AM

Jan 2013
Nikoreo said:
TheNaturalPerm said:
Nikoreo said:
TheNaturalPerm said:
Heredity said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

Yeah, I'm just not going to bother dealing with your deluded statements anymore.

I think the general anime fanbase got worse, not the anime itself.

you are free to do so xD I think you are actually the butthurt one though lol. and you are right about the fanbase gettin worse. they tend to be happy with less and less actual content in a show haha. just get some lil girls in there and your show will do just fine. they'll love it to death ^^

Better to be butthurt about how some people can't think for themselves as opposed to being butthurt about an entertainment medium not meant to be taken seriously. You have a lot to learn before you can go around spewing generalizations everywhere, and with that I have to go for now, come back when you grow up.

*sigh* whatever...go ahead and watch your little girl lolicon shows you grownup person lol
Apr 3, 2014 6:53 AM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:
> bigger nerd
> 11099

ye
I'm not even going to bother.

Thanks for assuring me that your post had no purpose other than to be petty and obnoxious though.
Apr 3, 2014 6:53 AM
Nov 2008
tsudecimo said:
Heredity said:

The characters in ''cute girls doing cute stuff''don't have character developments, their actions are merely for the amusement/entertainment of the viewer. The relationships are mostly static. They don't have serious decisions that affect plot progression, since there is no actual structure for a continuous narrative.
this in bold is true for all things within the entertainment industry, you goof ball.

otherwise, no. their relationships are not 'mostly static,' characters within such shows usually go through subtle changes as time goes on and it's usually thanks to those around them. besides, what is your understanding of a 'serious decision?' these are slice of life anime, 'serious' decisions are the same as any other 'serious' decision you make in real life. yui's choice of guitar is a serious decision.

Not really. Compare the dynamic of the group in Toradora from it's beginning till it's end to K-on's. I mean they just drink tea and goof around, the music is a background thing, and not a real focus, to initiate developments in characters, relationships and the plot.
sorry, but that's bullshit. i won't let it slide. have you considered why others think the ending to k-on is sad? so many things change from the beginning of k-on to the end. drinking tea and goofing around is something that happens in that series, yes. to imply that the characters don't change and the dynamic is ever-stationary isn't at all correct though. that would imply azusa never came to have a strong bond with yui, among other changes that occurred within the dynamic.

What I'm basically saying is that a comedy SoL like K-On, NNB, Lucky Star can't be character driven.
and yet they are. character development is the slice of life genre's biggest thing, and you're a fool for thinking otherwise.
Apr 3, 2014 6:54 AM

Aug 2013
rederoin said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Some people prefer animated to live action. @Heredity There are no steampunk or crime drama anime on that chart.

I have no problem just pointing out facts.
Apr 3, 2014 6:55 AM

Mar 2008
DrGeroCreation said:
Also ofcourse I know most historical anime would based on Japanese history but it wouldn't hurt if it was based on the history of other countries. Hollywood is American yet doesn't only make American historical movies but also historical movies based on other countries history. @Heredity There are no steampunk or crime drama anime on that chart.
But that's a cheap-shot isn't it? What historical films has America made that doesn't cover some aspect of Western history?

China is about as relevant to Japan as France, Ancient Greece & Rome are for America. Most of the World's history outside of modernity is irrelevant to Japan's cultural consciousness.
Apr 3, 2014 6:56 AM
Nov 2008
rederoin said:
Heredity said:

TheNaturalPerm said:

62*
no, no. it's 51. i counted everything above the heading 'winter leftovers.' it'd be 53 if you included shorts though.
Apr 3, 2014 6:57 AM

Sep 2013
rederoin said:
DrGeroCreation said:

That is like the worst argument I have ever heard
Apr 3, 2014 6:58 AM

Dec 2012
mere·ly
ˈmi(ə)rlē/Submit
adverb
just; only.

I disagree with everything you said. Plus you became aggressive for whatever reason, so I don't see the point of continuing this, since it seems like you have a completely different definitions of words than me. And you seem not to understand what I mean by the word driven.

> Yui's choice of guitar is a serious decision

okay
Apr 3, 2014 6:59 AM

Feb 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
There are no steampunk or crime drama anime on that chart.

im no expert in crime drama, but Kindaichi Case Files sounds like a crime drama

and steampunk is a very small genre, but i can feel vague steampunk elements in Atelier
Apr 3, 2014 7:00 AM
Nov 2008
rederoin said:
@Heredity There are no steampunk or crime drama anime on that chart.
i wasn't pointing out steampuk/crime drama anime, i was pointing out the how different seasons have different kinds of shows within the majority.

there at least seem to be some crime dramas coming up during the year, it's just a matter of what season is deemed to be the best for them to air based upon trends and demographics.

tsudecimo said:
mere·ly
ˈmi(ə)rlē/Submit
adverb
just; only.

I disagree with everything you said. Plus you became aggressive for whatever reason, so I don't see the point of continuing this, since it seems like you have a completely different definitions of words than me. And you seem not to understand what I mean by the word driven.

okay
well, that's disappointing on your part. you just disagree and won't continue because i'm asserting myself (that 'aggression')? it doesn't really sound like you have much of a case for your viewpoint then. oh well.
no-thanksApr 3, 2014 7:05 AM
Apr 3, 2014 7:09 AM

Aug 2013
Ckan said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Also ofcourse I know most historical anime would based on Japanese history but it wouldn't hurt if it was based on the history of other countries. Hollywood is American yet doesn't only make American historical movies but also historical movies based on other countries history. @Heredity There are no steampunk or crime drama anime on that chart.
But that's a cheap-shot isn't it? What historical films has America made that doesn't cover some aspect of Western history?

China is about as relevant to Japan as France, Ancient Greece & Rome are for America. Most of the World's history outside of modernity is irrelevant to Japan's cultural consciousness.
Okay you make some very good points. @romagia That is just one though (Kindaichi Case Files )
Apr 3, 2014 7:10 AM

Dec 2012
Heredity said:
rederoin said:
@Heredity There are no steampunk or crime drama anime on that chart.
i wasn't pointing out steampuk/crime drama anime, i was pointing out the how different seasons have different kinds of shows within the majority.

there at least seem to be some crime dramas coming up during the year, it's just a matter of what season is deemed to be the best for them to air based upon trends and demographics.

tsudecimo said:
mere·ly
ˈmi(ə)rlē/Submit
adverb
just; only.

okay
well, that's disappointing on your part. you just disagree and won't continue because i'm asserting myself (that 'aggression')? it doesn't really sound like you have much of a case for your viewpoint then. oh well.

must resist bait..

I gave up, not because of your 'aggression', but because when something reaches a certain point in stupidity from my point of view, I just can't bother, it only frustrates me. And your last post reach that point, unfortunately.
Apr 3, 2014 7:11 AM

Nov 2012
romagia said:
DrGeroCreation said:
There are no steampunk or crime drama anime on that chart.

im no expert in crime drama, but Kindaichi Case Files sounds like a crime drama

It's an episodic mystery like Detective Conan.
Apr 3, 2014 7:13 AM

Aug 2013
@Heredity Those are few and far between though.
Nov 2008
tsudecimo said:
must resist bait..
i'm not baiting you. i'm legitimately disappointed, and are of agreeance with red_keys in regards to you at this point.

I gave up, not because of your 'aggression', but because when something reaches a certain point in stupidity from my point of view, I just can't bother, it only frustrates me. And your last post reach that point, unfortunately.
i think a lot of what you've been trying to assert is actually extremely short sighted. as a long time fan of sol i disagree with assumptions you're making.
no-thanksApr 3, 2014 7:18 AM

Nov 2011
Heredity said:
rederoin said:
Heredity said:

TheNaturalPerm said:

62*
no, no. it's 51. i counted everything above the heading 'winter leftovers.' it'd be 53 if you included shorts though.

Anichart does not list all series.

DrGeroCreation said:
rederoin said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I have no problem just pointing out facts.

Nobody cares.

Jun 2012
I'll probably stay salty at LN adaptations until we get a second season of Baccano or 3rd of Index :/
Apr 3, 2014 7:16 AM

Aug 2013
@rederoin I don't care if nobody cares.
Apr 3, 2014 7:17 AM

Dec 2012
So I'm the only satisfied of having 4-5 anime that I like each season?

Anymore and I will just lose interest in the medium. Plus there is always manga which is better most of the time.
Apr 3, 2014 7:17 AM

Jul 2011
^^Badass
Apr 3, 2014 7:18 AM

Mar 2008
DrGeroCreation said:
Ckan said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Okay you make some very good points.
Glad you think so. I didn't mean to spite you on this, as I'd actually love for there to be a bucketload of historical anime covering things outside of Japan's usual comfort-zone. However, when it comes to anime-original content, the creators so often manage to botch anything outside of a simplistic slice-of-life or ecchi show, that I doubt we'd be too enthused with the results. I believe an earlier poster mentioned something along those lines too.
Apr 3, 2014 7:20 AM

Feb 2010
tsudecimo said:
So I'm the only satisfied of having 4-5 anime that I like each season?

Anymore and I will just lose interest in the medium. Plus there is always manga which is better most of the time.

What now? You'd lose interest in the medium if there was MORE stuff coming out that you love about it?

Now I've heard anything.
I probably regret this post by now.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What would you choose: Good voice acting with bad translations or Bad voice acting with good translations?

funtime43_tr - 3 hours ago

9 by Catalano »»
57 seconds ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

3 by DigiCat »»
1 minute ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 20 minutes ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 10 hours ago

24 by Catalano »»
2 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 36 minutes ago

15 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.