Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 7, 2008 10:55 PM

May 2007
The further into this series I get, and the more problems Guts has with his health, the more I think this is the most probable ending of the series. I just don't see him living contentedly with Caska into old age.

In a way, I'm glad of this, because Berserk never struck me as a "happily ever after" story. At the same time, however, I sympathize with the character of Guts, and I want everything to work out well for him. Unfortunately, I just don't think he's going to survive this story.

Obviously, I'm torn in how I feel about this. I'd be interested if anyone had a different opinion, or predicts a different outcome.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 8, 2008 7:56 PM

Dec 2007
Yeah, he might die because of his health. I imagine he'll eventually overcome the problems of the Berserker's armor, but considering the countless battles he has fought (and will be fighting), the fact he's fighting apostles, and that he's only human...yeah, it's likely.

I don't really know if he'd die in a fight, though I think it may be possible if he fights the God Hand.
Jan 9, 2008 4:55 PM
Jan 2008
Well, he probably get better at

However, that wont last forever considering his enemies.

I don't really think we will get a happy ending... and i don't really want that either... "And so they lived happily ever after", horrible.
exylexJan 9, 2008 5:00 PM
Jan 9, 2008 6:39 PM

Nov 2007
well i think he will not sure tho

A

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Jan 11, 2008 12:39 PM

Feb 2005
I hope he dies. In an epic way of course, right after he wins the day. Characters like him just shouldn't have happy endings...It would ruin the mood of the series completely.
Jan 11, 2008 2:36 PM
Jun 2007
Baman said:
I hope he dies. In an epic way of course, right after he wins the day. Characters like him just shouldn't have happy endings...It would ruin the mood of the series completely.

agreed. go down fighting and take all the bastards down with you. well, at least leave Void for the Skull Knight :D.

seriously though, its surprising that he was able to last this long. not only because of the toll the berserker armor is taking on his body, but even before that. in his days with the Hawks, he was on the brink of death multiple times.

IMO, he will manage to take down Griffith and that will be his last act. that's easier said than done though because opposing Griffith means making the entire nation of Midland. at the end of the battle, Serpico, Farnese, Schierke, etc., will carry on his will and continue the war against the Angels.

Reks said:
well i think he will not sure tho
get healed fully then almost get to the brink of death posibly use that behilt he has

now that we know that there's an alternative way to become an Angel (Ganishka's plan), I guess that's a possibility. but then, wouldn't that make the purpose of the Berserker armor meaningless?

avrcJan 11, 2008 2:41 PM
Jan 11, 2008 7:07 PM

Nov 2007
yes very true all though i hope guts doesent resort to that

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

fix MAL already
Jan 14, 2008 6:55 PM

May 2007
I don't think Guts, as a character, would resort to using the Behelit. From the final bit in the manga before the big flashback (where the Duke is asked by God Hand to sacrifice his daughter), I got the impression that the only emotion that could wake a Behelit is a selfish desire to live.

Guts doesn't have much of that desire, as far as I'm aware. His two big desires are to get revenge on Griffith, and to protect Casca. Neither of those would awaken the Behelit.

Also, who would he sacrifice? It would have to be Casca, and I just don't see him being willing to do that.
Jan 14, 2008 9:36 PM
Jan 2008
it will prob end with guts having to chose killing griffith or saving caska
Jan 15, 2008 12:26 PM

Mar 2007
I want that Caska will have her brain back and then she could be with Guts... Is this just because I'm a girl.... XD But yeah.. I can't see then getting old together... So Caska will be sad in the end because Guts dies... because of some injury...
Jan 17, 2008 2:18 AM
Jan 2008
I'm more worried about Miura dying. The story seems nowhere near done (10 volumes more wouldn't surprise me) and the release schedule for chapters is getting more spaced out. This is the 18th year of Berserk proper and if something happens to him without getting to finish his masterwork, I'm gonna be right pissed. Ganbare, Miura-sensei! Death to the Godhand! (not the game, which is very nice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godhand )
Jan 19, 2008 7:04 AM
Jun 2007
TheBigGSN5 said:
I'm more worried about Miura dying. The story seems nowhere near done (10 volumes more wouldn't surprise me) and the release schedule for chapters is getting more spaced out. This is the 18th year of Berserk proper and if something happens to him without getting to finish his masterwork, I'm gonna be right pissed. Ganbare, Miura-sensei! Death to the Godhand! (not the game, which is very nice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godhand )

i must agree, i was thinking about what i would do if miura died... lol

but i have a feeling Guts will go down and take griffith with him, sort of like Achilles, he died, but his legend lives forever, inspiring generations of warriors. long live guts! the battle wont end with him, only begin.
Jan 19, 2008 1:34 PM
Jun 2007
TheBigGSN5 said:

You make it sound that his health is declining. I haven't found any info regarding that so if you have any, can you please post the source.
Jan 19, 2008 10:09 PM
Jan 2008
You make it sound that his health is declining. I haven't found any info regarding that so if you have any, can you please post the source.

I wasn't, though the infrequency of Berserk chapters may suggest fatigue. Almost 20 years of the same work plus other manga he's done concurrently; we're lucky he doesn't say "To hell with it: everyone dies, the end."

Is there any other dramatic series, manga or otherwise, that has taken this long to come to a conclusion? I know there are longer running series, but they are either comedic or continued beyond their original conclusion, like say the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.
Feb 16, 2008 9:54 AM

Jan 2008
I've always thought that both Guts and Caska will eventually end up dying in the process of defeating Griffith and the God Hand. Perhaps they will even leave behind a child for Schierke to raise or something. But rather than a conclusion, I'm more excited to see what happens in between now and then.

I just gotta put my trust in Miura and hope he doesn't die suddenly before he manages to finish. Maybe I'll be in my 40's but you can bet I'll still be reading along (granted I live that long too, lol)

Feb 18, 2008 3:14 PM

Sep 2007
Hatake_Rina said:
I want that Caska will have her brain back and then she could be with Guts... Is this just because I'm a girl.... XD But yeah.. I can't see then getting old together... So Caska will be sad in the end because Guts dies... because of some injury...

I take it then, that as of the latest chapter, Casca is still a vegetable?
Feb 19, 2008 7:11 AM

May 2007
RedSwordHeart said:
I take it then, that as of the latest chapter, Casca is still a vegetable?

Well, she's still acting like a child, not talking and doesn't seem to remember anything from before the eclipse. I don't think that makes her a vegetable, though. I think that term is reserved for people in comas.
Feb 21, 2008 3:15 AM

Feb 2008
I always figured that he will turn out like Skullknight and keep swinging his sword as an undead.
Forum signatures are annoying.
Feb 21, 2008 10:40 AM

Jun 2007
Arkhan said:
I always figured that he will turn out like Skullknight and keep swinging his sword as an undead.

I don`t think so...
It would be totally not like Guts...

Feb 22, 2008 1:25 AM

Nov 2007
very true guts wouldent do that although he might hit a big foirk in the road soon >.< if you remember back a few chapters

fix MAL already
Feb 22, 2008 1:59 AM

Feb 2008
Well I have only read up to volume 19 mostly because I buy the DH pockets when I can afford. Seems more satisfying when reading it on paper somehow.

Also no idea where the scans are anyway.
Forum signatures are annoying.
Feb 28, 2008 1:14 PM

Dec 2007
honeybunch said:
I don't think Guts, as a character, would resort to using the Behelit. From the final bit in the manga before the big flashback (where the Duke is asked by God Hand to sacrifice his daughter), I got the impression that the only emotion that could wake a Behelit is a selfish desire to live.

Guts doesn't have much of that desire, as far as I'm aware. His two big desires are to get revenge on Griffith, and to protect Casca. Neither of those would awaken the Behelit.

I'm pretty sure a desire of revenge would also have the ability to trigger the Behilit. And also he does consider using the behelit as a means of summoning the God Hand and then killing them all, so there's a possibility he could use it.

lolester said:
Arkhan said:

I don`t think so...
It would be totally not like Guts...

From what Zodd said to the Skull Knight during the attack at the witches house, it's most likely if he continues to use the Berserker armor he will end up like the Skull Knight eventually, since the armor used to be worn by the Skull Knight.
Mar 5, 2008 4:29 AM
Jul 2007
Well don't know if he will die. I kinda don't want one of the most unique manga characters to die :P. Well if he doesn't die he will probably be totally disabled. But I doubt he will even think of dying and leaving Caska behind.
Mar 5, 2008 5:22 AM

Jun 2007
I think Guts is too proud to become like skull Knight.. But maybe... For Casca.. :)

Mar 5, 2008 1:06 PM

Dec 2007
I doubt he'll be able to prevent it :P
Mar 6, 2008 8:22 AM
Jul 2007
Well there are many things pointing out that he will die.

During the arc with the Count the Godhands say "This is the fate of those who involve with demons". The Puck says "That means Gutts also !?"

And the thing that Zodd says could be proof of his death.

But honestly I think Gutts destiny is to defy his fate so I will say he wont die.
Apr 15, 2008 10:15 AM
Apr 2008
Wouldn't it be horrible if when its all said and done with, Caska is ok, Midland is the glorious country it was before the 100 year war, and Guts has defeated both Griffith/apostles and the God hand, only to use his Behilt to save Griffith? I could totally see him sacrificing himself for either Caska or Griffith in the end.
Apr 15, 2008 1:39 PM

Apr 2008
Guts is aging, His hair is starting to turn white
He cant keep fighting the way he is forever
His body gets brutalized so often
Unless a Miracle happens like the Elf Kingdom completly regenerate his body, the treatment the 2 elves we have wont be enough
Apr 15, 2008 6:16 PM

May 2007
wuchild1 said:
Wouldn't it be horrible if when its all said and done with, Caska is ok, Midland is the glorious country it was before the 100 year war, and Guts has defeated both Griffith/apostles and the God hand, only to use his Behilt to save Griffith? I could totally see him sacrificing himself for either Caska or Griffith in the end.

There's no way he'd sacrifice himself for Griffith, in my opinion. This isn't a typical shounen story where enemies become allies, and the main character is infinitely forgiving.

Griffith was responsible for killing almost all the people Guts was close to. He's the one who caused Guts to lose his eye and arm. He raped the woman Guts loved, and caused her mind to revert to a child-like state.

If Guts forgives him at all, that will be the point where I stop reading this manga.

Thankfully, I don't think that's very likely.

I could see Guts sacrificing himself for Casca on the other hand, although I don't think that's going to happen either. If it happened, I don't think I'd like it much, but it wouldn't cause me to stop reading the manga.
Jul 11, 2008 10:41 AM

Jan 2008
Guts will never die, he will live forever in our hearts! lol

also Guts is a legend...

"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered but legends never die"

Jul 11, 2008 11:15 PM

May 2007
The Sandlot.....excellent!

Jul 19, 2008 10:40 PM

Jun 2008
guts death = RAGING PACK OF SQUIRRELS ATTACK HIM CUZ GUTS TOOK A NUT XD
Aug 2, 2008 2:14 AM

Jul 2008
I just finished the anime, and haven't read any of the manga. I have some questions for anyone who cares to answer. Why did Griffith rape Caska? Was it some sort of revenge against Guts? Also is there any hope of Griffith redeming himself? In the manga, does he just become a monster? In the end, I don't care who dies, but I'd like to see Griffith make a return to his old self.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2008 6:46 PM

Jan 2008
I could easily answer your questions, but I much rather you read the manga because spoiling it would be an outright crime.

Aug 9, 2008 11:24 PM

Jul 2008
I started reading the manga, but it didn't appeal to me much. I don't like fairies and miss Griffith being a main character in the story. If you won't tell me what happens, could you refer the issue in which Guts and Griffith meet again? Do they ever discuss what happened at the sacrificial ceremony?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2008 11:35 AM

Jan 2008
you HAVE to read the first 3 volumes before you get to "The Golden Age" flashback chapter of the story which is what the anime is primarily based upon. If you don't read those first 3 volumes then you will understand even LESS about the Eclipse when you eventually get to it in the manga.

There is a lot explained about the Behelit, how the God Hand operates, and how Apostles are created. It doesn't take long to get through those first 3 volumes and you will be rewarded greatly if you just stick it out.

Aug 10, 2008 11:49 AM

Sep 2007
You really need to read the first 3 volumes, especially if you say you want to see Griffith.
Aug 23, 2008 12:34 PM
Sep 2007
Guts die? Blasphemy.
Aug 24, 2008 8:38 PM
Aug 2008
Ok guys these are the possible ways its going to turn out the right way.

A. Caska some how gets her memories back and Guts forgets about his revenge trip over Griffith but as the love birds are living happily ever after Griffith calls to Caska in the night and Guts follows her secretly to a remote place and Griffith kills her. Guts than uses the Baliph (not spelled right) to take his revenge on Griffith as the epic battle unfolds Guts must face all of the Godshand killing all the high members until its Griffith vs. Guts and the kill each other with Guts saying why Griffith why have you forsaken me and Griffith with his last breath says ....... U figure it out.
I think this is the most bad ass ending there could be

B. Or the Guts finds out that the only way to unlock Caskas old memories is to kill Griffith but he knows he will surly die in the possess so Guts Berserks in there with every thing he has and kills Griffith with him dying in the process but Griffith dies first so Guts can say goodbye to his long lost love who has suddenly come back.

C. Griffith trips over a rock and cracks his head open and dies so every one lives happily ever after. J.K.

I truly wish guts could survive but its just not in this amazingly dark and gloomy masterpiece. My hart wants Guts to live on and be with the woman he loves but as a soldier he must have a soldiers death. Please give me your thoughts.
Oct 18, 2008 4:16 AM

Mar 2008
nickyp36 said:
Ok guys these are the possible ways its going to turn out the right way.

A. Caska some how gets her memories back and Guts forgets about his revenge trip over Griffith but as the love birds are living happily ever after Griffith calls to Caska in the night and Guts follows her secretly to a remote place and Griffith kills her. Guts than uses the Baliph (not spelled right) to take his revenge on Griffith as the epic battle unfolds Guts must face all of the Godshand killing all the high members until its Griffith vs. Guts and the kill each other with Guts saying why Griffith why have you forsaken me and Griffith with his last breath says ....... U figure it out.
I think this is the most bad ass ending there could be

B. Or the Guts finds out that the only way to unlock Caskas old memories is to kill Griffith but he knows he will surly die in the possess so Guts Berserks in there with every thing he has and kills Griffith with him dying in the process but Griffith dies first so Guts can say goodbye to his long lost love who has suddenly come back.

C. Griffith trips over a rock and cracks his head open and dies so every one lives happily ever after. J.K.

I truly wish guts could survive but its just not in this amazingly dark and gloomy masterpiece. My hart wants Guts to live on and be with the woman he loves but as a soldier he must have a soldiers death. Please give me your thoughts.

B :)
Oct 23, 2008 10:54 PM

Jul 2008
It would be nice if all of them die... LOL ;]

Dec 11, 2008 4:00 PM

Mar 2008
the only way to make a decent ending for a manga that has been publishing for so long is to kill so main character.

But if Griffith doesnt die, I swear to god I'll...
Jun 11, 2009 8:55 AM

May 2009
Probably, Guts will die. But i hope he finds redemption in the end. I think he suffered enough.
Oct 29, 2009 6:51 AM
Oct 2009
i dont even think guts is all the way human they never said who his farther is just that he was born from a corpse
Oct 29, 2009 11:19 AM

Dec 2007
Dunno if this has been said, but Guts may turn into the 'new skullknight' sort of person, to live for eternity. But that would be a Takahashi ending, now wouldn't it?
Dec 4, 2009 6:19 PM

Jun 2008
All men must die someday. Guts is no exception.
Feb 21, 2010 10:43 PM

Dec 2008
The idea of Guts finally defeating Griffith being the only way he might restore Casca's withdrawn psyche is very interesting. On the other hand, Guts is going to need all the help he can get to take on Griffith and his entire army, so it might also be interesting if Casca were to regain herself and become violently enraged, finally feeling the crushing weight of her grief and anger at Griffith's betrayal... If she were to stand alongside Guts once more, I think I'd like that a lot more than just having her stay as she is. It's not like Guts insists upon relying only on himself at this point, anyway, since he seems to be slowly gathering a little band of his own. The only way he could really face Griffith without becoming an Angel himself would be to build an army willing to fight. It would be quite awesome, seeing Guts, Casca, Skull Knight, Serpico, Shierke, etc. all ready to go to war. Maybe even Rickert could join them — we haven't forgotten about him, have we?

Guts will die some day, of course, but not until he's done what he must do.

Now, we could stop speculating if Miura would just regain a bit of focus...
Sep 29, 2013 10:51 PM

May 2012
I actually think that the ending of Berserk is really predictable with the pretense that Miura keeps the same style throughout his work. A thing to consider is that even though the work is based off of fantasy and fiction, all of the actions of the characters, besides the monsters, are completely reasonable and attributable to human qualities.

1. Firstly, the Skull Knight has always been a ever-present character that looms in the background. Analyzing his story of roaming the world forever on a horse and trying to get Guts to fulfill his prophesy, we can conclude that the ending has something to do with either Guts replacing the skull knight as a sort of a protector against future God's Hands, or Guts being dead and the skull knight continuing to patrol the world on his horse.
2. Secondly, the relationship between the skull knight and the old witch in relative to the relationship between Guts and Schierke being parallel is too similar to be a coincidence; thus we can see that because the skull knight lost his partner, he can't possibly remain after Guts since a good story features parallelism. So we can concluded that Guts will replace the Skull knight in his job, and since Guts presumably survives, he will have settled his debt with Griffith; we will discuss how he settles the debt later.
3. But, since Guts had much calamity befallen upon him by Miura, we can also assume that Guts will replace the Skull knight with a terrible consequence from either his armor, or something terrible happening to his companions.

Now, to discuss how Guts settles his debt with Griffith. This will be much harder to analyze than the ending of Guts because Miura toys with lives of people other than Guts in his work. By creating a perfect world, this does not mean Miura will be reluctant to destroy the utopia in fantasia. Therefore we cannot ignore the possibility that Guts kills Griffith and destroys the new world in some way.

With this said, the props in the new world such as the Skeleton knight being trapped in a lower layer of hell, the spirit tree, and the omnipresence of Gut's son makes us want to believe that Guts will in some way seal the God's hand with these props and call Griffith to his senses, therefore giving a happy ending to everyone.

We also know that this proposed happy ending can never happen because of the anecdote of the three short chapters right before Miura left off on c333, the way the flower fairy died despite Gut's attempt to save it. With that as a analysis of Miura's psychological tendencies, we see that Guts will have a less than happy ending with reasonable cause. Therefore the most reasonable outcome would be the banishment of the God's hands to the lowest level of the abyss with the sacrifice of the spirit tree and Gut's son (the son becomes a major character and attachment to the fan-base in between now and the ending); thus Guts never gets his revenge of killing Griffith.

A final word: the quotes "she may not want the same thing as you do" gives 100% certainty that Casca will become sane for a short moment, then remain as dumb as a five year old for the rest of the story until the end. This should be easy to figure out. Since Casca underwent such a distressing psychological experience, she cannot logically return normal. If she did return normal, she would never return to the way she was in the Band of the Hawk and probably would sulk around all day. Think about it.
Oct 17, 2013 3:15 PM
Oct 2013
i still believe guts is gonna die in his fight with griffith...laying down his life but taking griffith with him as well...i dont really think though that his companions are gonna die... i mean its evident that miura follows a nihilistic/depressing style in his story but even though i can imagine such a development in the story...thats only my opinion though :)
''Living without protecting what needs to be protected is the same as death.''

''Strength that knows no boundaries is merely violence.''
Jun 11, 2014 6:53 PM

Apr 2014
I think Guts won't die unless he takes Grifith/Femto with him. Someppl say he might use the behelit but i doubt that since that would disregard Guts' character. He is always throwing fate out the window but he seriously needs a power up. That armor does as much damage as it helps.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Will Miura live long enough?

Friendlysoul - Mar 28, 2008

46 by RapStud »»
Dec 11, 2023 12:52 PM

» What do you guys think of Blind Reviews of Berserk?

abiisu - Oct 13, 2021

2 by abiisu »»
Jan 21, 2023 12:21 PM

» Characters you will kill

pabloerk - Apr 9, 2016

4 by kaiki_fan_boy »»
Jun 5, 2020 10:14 AM

» What do you think of iDOLM@STER as a fan of Berserk?

removed-user - Apr 29, 2020

0 by removed-user »»
Apr 29, 2020 7:14 AM

» Berserk is the GOAT

RandomChampion - Apr 7, 2018

0 by RandomChampion »»
Apr 7, 2018 9:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.