Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 27, 2013 12:54 AM

May 2012
arfmaster said:
Slamdunk all day. I guess being a basketball fan helps?

Woah woah woah, by saying that, people will counter you by saying'' kuroku no basket is about basketball too. So why slamdunk all day ? ''
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
May 27, 2013 3:15 AM
May 2013
Tommk said:
arfmaster said:

Woah woah woah, by saying that, people will counter you by saying'' kuroku no basket is about basketball too. So why slamdunk all day ? ''

an anime who made Japan love Basketball~
May 27, 2013 6:47 AM

Sep 2009
Tommk said:
arfmaster said:

Because Slam Dunk is about basketball, whereas Kuroko just uses basketball as a medium for its action.
Jun 6, 2013 6:46 PM

Jul 2008
I enjoyed Kuroko no Basket a lot. And yes, it's definitely not the most realistic rendition of basketball, but that's actually what I liked about it. The games were pretty exciting to watch in my opinion. That's not saying I wouldn't like a realistic basketball anime. Can't wait for season 2 by the way.

Because of KnB, I started watching Slam Dunk. I never heard of it before, but I saw it in the recommendations at KnB's page. I'm currently at episode 14, and I do enjoy this one too! Of course, the art cannot be compared to KnB, but it doesn't bother me, I like it. The humor in it is especially great haha

I totally agree with Kolchao's post (#18) on the first page of this topic though, about comparing these two anime:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=524551&show=0#msg19965085

deniz1 said:
I need appreciation for slam dunk also i need some people to bad mouth kuroko no baske.

That's seriously f**king retarted.
Kipi, The Goddess of Cosplay Fanclub and Arisa the Queen of Cosplay Fanclub!

Jun 18, 2013 3:11 AM

Oct 2012
i guess iits kuroko... but i couldn't say more since i've not completed SD

Jun 18, 2013 3:31 AM
Aug 2012
ryshin said:

Complete SD........you will change you mind.

Jun 18, 2013 7:50 AM

Nov 2010
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
ryshin said:

Complete SD........you will change you mind.
No he won't, wide open ending.
Jun 25, 2013 7:34 PM

Dec 2011
It's not like Slam Dunk is above reproach. Some of the humor is just so bad to the point where it gets annoying. Also it takes a looooong time for the MC to develop his skills to the point where he's not completely disappointing in every game. Now I kind of like that it's just that the anime fucking stops right when it's about to get good! If it weren't for that I would enjoy the fact that they went the slightly more realistic and satisfying route. But anyways I'm about to start slowly reading the manga so that's a good sign that it managed to hook me well enough.

Oh and I like kuroko no basket so.... The more unrealistic it is the better, as long as the games are intense because of that.

Now if you want to go the opposite route and actually watch and read realistic sports anime/manga go for some Adachi series instead.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2013 1:05 AM
Aug 2013
slam dunk is always the best because it contains the humour with excitement.Although kuroke baske is also exciting but it lacks the humour that hanamichi saguraki provides.
Oct 4, 2013 1:45 PM
Oct 2013
Its funny how people can judge anime like this, if you are a little smart u would had noticed with the summary of the story that it wouldnt be about your everyday life basketball game....a kid would notice that it wouldnt be realist, u cant compare 2 anime that arnt of the same type just cuz they are both about basketball.... If u like realist anime just stick to them and dont try to downgrade whats not to ur liking and judge people that arnt thinking like you, ive watch both and i prefered KnB cuz im not a basketball fanatic i just like to watch anime with interesting storyline and character that i like, but i wont downgrade SD cuz i think its too realist... well theres funny people everywhere lollll
Oct 12, 2013 4:00 PM

Aug 2013
i like both ..but i enjoy slamdunk!manga more...read the sannoh vs shohoku game...it gave me goosbumps...an knb manga is juz yeah its normal for me but i enjoy it too..anime wise i prefer kuroko because those flashy skills got animated..

overall i still prefer slamdunk a lil bit more than knb
Oct 12, 2013 4:50 PM

Aug 2012
LayedBack said:
It's not like Slam Dunk is above reproach. Some of the humor is just so bad to the point where it gets annoying. Also it takes a looooong time for the MC to develop his skills to the point where he's not completely disappointing in every game. Now I kind of like that it's just that the anime fucking stops right when it's about to get good! If it weren't for that I would enjoy the fact that they went the slightly more realistic and satisfying route. But anyways I'm about to start slowly reading the manga so that's a good sign that it managed to hook me well enough.

Oh and I like kuroko no basket so.... The more unrealistic it is the better, as long as the games are intense because of that.

Now if you want to go the opposite route and actually watch and read realistic sports anime/manga go for some Adachi series instead.

Is not about the humor being bad, you just like it or not, not everyone likes that kind of silly humor. There's tons of people who love SD's humor, personally i just enjoy it and in a couple of occasions i think they push it a little. About the MC you are right; he is a beginner, what were you expecting, to learn everything in a couple episodes? This Anime try to be realistic and as said during the show his improvement is amazing (fast paced). Personally i just think that they take too long to start showing us good games, we get to see the first serious game like on episode 15 and the following games 15episodes later. Aside from that it is great. I wish it would be remade - better quality - with the last arc animated.
Oct 12, 2013 5:15 PM

Nov 2010
pokecenter said:
Is not about the humor being bad, you just like it or not, not everyone likes that kind of silly humor. There's tons of people who love SD's humor, personally i just enjoy it and in a couple of occasions i think they push it a little. About the MC you are right; he is a beginner, what were you expecting, to learn everything in a couple episodes? This Anime try to be realistic and as said during the show his improvement is amazing (fast paced). Personally i just think that they take too long to start showing us good games, we get to see the first serious game like on episode 15 and the following games 15episodes later. Aside from that it is great. I wish it would be remade - better quality - with the last arc animated.
It's the same thing with stories, characters, etc. Some people like them and others don't. Yes, comedy is a very polarizing thing but he can still think the comedy is not well done, comedy anime are not outside of criticism.

He already said that he likes it realistic and how it takes him a while. But what he doesn't like that I also don't like is how because the anime ends early, he never gets out of his beginner phase. So we don't get to see him play well and have any great moments.
Oct 12, 2013 6:05 PM

Aug 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
pokecenter said:
It's the same thing with stories, characters, etc. Some people like them and others don't. Yes, comedy is a very polarizing thing but he can still think the comedy is not well done, comedy anime are not outside of criticism.

He already said that he likes it realistic and how it takes him a while. But what he doesn't like that I also don't like is how because the anime ends early, he never gets out of his beginner phase. So we don't get to see him play well and have any great moments.

I don't agree with that last sentence, we get to see him play well plenty of times. Not like Rukawa, but that's not surprising. Still despite all his mistakes and lack on fundamentals he got highlights in every important game.
Oct 13, 2013 2:55 AM

Jun 2011
I'll just leave it here, KnB is far more enjoyable than SD, but I know that SD has better story writing and better realism, even though I have yet to get past 6 episodes, and sadly, probably won't get to it anytime soon. and the main reason is not the art, I do watch Ranma 1/2 and stuff..
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 13, 2013 3:17 AM
Mar 2011
to answer the op questiom yes it is to even compare them is stupid right one of the most seusessful sports manga ever to this young up start i dont think it will ever coame as close in any msesure on inner industry susess or Multimidia sucess either

SD got better Tv Rating that KnB could ever wish to get
SD is one of the top 5 biggest selling manga of all time i doubt KnB will get any were near the top 50 any time soon [ bfore any one oh its ot been onuy long enough it only took one Piece 7 years to become the biggest sellling manga of all time ]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 13, 2013 3:32 AM

Dec 2012
Nostalgia aside, Slam dunk is slow as fuck.
Oct 13, 2013 5:18 AM
Mar 2011
tsudecimo said:
Nostalgia aside, Slam dunk is slow as fuck.

advatage of being a long runner
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Oct 13, 2013 5:41 AM
Oct 2013
SD is for hardcore Basketball fans.

KnB is mix of shounen stuff + great adaptation = popularity rockets high.
Oct 13, 2013 8:26 AM

Nov 2010
pokecenter said:
I don't agree with that last sentence, we get to see him play well plenty of times. Not like Rukawa, but that's not surprising. Still despite all his mistakes and lack on fundamentals he got highlights in every important game.
Those highlights are the only times that he plays decent. And you know that with the potential he showed early on, that's not all he can do. He still had more goof ups than good plays. Now that would have been fine, if he had eventually grown into a good player, but all we got to see was him as a beginner and then it cut off.

Natsu12345 said:
I'll just leave it here, KnB is far more enjoyable than SD, but I know that SD has better story writing and better realism, even though I have yet to get past 6 episodes, and sadly, probably won't get to it anytime soon. and the main reason is not the art, I do watch Ranma 1/2 and stuff..
It's best to compare realism between shows that try to have it. Obviously KnB isn't trying to be completely real, real =/= good. It's like saying a comedy anime can never be good because it doesn't make me cry like Clannad, they were trying to achieve different things from the first place. I can say KnB has better fantasy. And once again you're commenting on the whole quality of an anime you haven't even seen 6% of.
Oct 13, 2013 9:27 AM

Aug 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
pokecenter said:
Those highlights are the only times that he plays decent. And you know that with the potential he showed early on, that's not all he can do. He still had more goof ups than good plays. Now that would have been fine, if he had eventually grown into a good player, but all we got to see was him as a beginner and then it cut off.
I would also prefer the last arc to be seen in Anime, but can't be helped. Still even in that one (manga last arc) he is still a beginner. Talking about that..
DateYutaka said:

..you sure? because i thought the reason why they didn't follow the Manga till the end was because the Anime didn't have TV ratings good enough, so they rushed it to end faster. I don't see KnB facing the same situation seeing how popular it is.

So is there another reason (not related with ratings) why they didn't show us the last arc of the Manga in Anime or i'm wrong when i assume that KnB got good TV ratings?
Oct 13, 2013 9:39 AM
Mar 2011
pokecenter said:
IntroverTurtle said:
pokecenter said:
I would also prefer the last arc to be seen in Anime, but can't be helped. Still even in that one (manga last arc) he is still a beginner. Talking about that..
DateYutaka said:

..you sure? because i thought the reason why they didn't follow the Manga till the end was because the Anime didn't have TV ratings good enough, so they rushed it to end faster. I don't see KnB facing the same situation seeing how popular it is.

So is there another reason (not related with ratings) why they didn't show us the last arc of the Manga in Anime or i'm wrong when i assume that KnB got good TV ratings?[/quote
sd still had the viewership cuase the fact that the manga fans watched it i dont see KnB getting above 15.00 each week or even above 10.00 a week back in the 90' tv ratings if a prime time show got under 11.00 it was seen as a falure now

now an anime that only get under 5.5 gets in the top ten that show oy how things changed

around the 6.00 mark was what DBGT got back in the day and that was called one of the reasons the crash happened back then

now Naruto Shippuden get av of around 5.7 year on year and it still runs

Oct 17, 2013 6:48 AM

Nov 2012
am sorry there is no room for comparison
slam dunk brings the true spirit of basketball
in the other hand kuroko ...i don't know i didn't feel the same waching it.

sasga slam dunk
Oct 18, 2013 1:13 PM
Oct 2013
Kuroko no Basket Good Points:
1. Different Perspective
The focus of slam dunk is obviously on sakuragi's rapid improvement towards being a good basketball player. His position is ultimately different and you can observe the difference in their priorities. Proof: Rebounding was so emphasized in Slamdunk but not that much in Kuroko no basket, what's prioritized in kuroko no basket is of course the passing ability of Kuroko as a guard.
2. Lessons
Kuroko no basket has more values instilled in its episodes which was totally different from Slam Dunk. Playing as a team was emphasized and doing your best in everything you do. In slam dunk, the lessons aren't that much shown since most of the times, individual skills are being portrayed by the members not much about being a team. Doing your best value is not that much shown either as only Sakuragi works hard in practices as portrayed in the anime. It's always him who does the "hussle plays" which is different from Kuroko no basket since the latter shows the importance of each member as part of a team and each one does every little thing to win games.
3. Imaginative
The skills of the generation of miracles is just incredible. It's fascinating to watch Kuroko no Basket as it takes your mind completely "out of the box". Proof: Have you seen any player score from anywhere on the court (more than half court) Maybe it's the reason why it's fun to watch the anime since you practically can't predict what will happen next except for the fact that they will win in the end. =)
4. Modern Basketball
Kuroko no basket portrays the modern basketball which is what currently is happening as we can see alley-oops everytym, ankle breakers (which never happened in slamdunk)

Slam Dunk Good Points:
1. Mood Changing
What makes slam dunk one of the craziest manga/anime ever written is the fact that it's humor is just innate in the character of Sakuragi. When you get used to his attitude, you might find yourself laughing just seeing his face. In the same way, when you watch the tough times in slam dunk such as when mitsui previously left the club due to injury, akagi's struggle with injury against kainan, rukawa and sakuragi's rare team-up, your emotions are easily influenced by the anime.
2. Realistic
Slam dunk is more realistic in such manner that player's performance is possible in actual life. Everything in slamdunk was done by somebody out there in the earth but I don't think the same can be said with Kuroko no basket. Copying one move just by seeing it once and not even practicing it, not allowing another team score against you even a single point (Yosen). Let's accept it, Slam Dunk's story is more inclined with what is possible and what really is happening.
3. True-to-life Aspect
For some of you who don't know, the character of sakuragi is somewhat inspired by real-life sakuragi (you can read from this article http://zurcaledworld.blogspot.sg/2011/10/hanamichi-sakuragi-in-real-life.html)
I'm not so sure Kuroko or kagami was inspired by a real-life but I doubt either was.
4. Sound effects
If you're watching anime, you might actually like Slam Dunk more since its sound is more suited for every scene in the story. I rarely feel the same for kuroko no basket.
5. Animation
Aside from the better color of Kuroko, I don't think the anime was better made than slam dunk since most of the scenes in the anime are just images which was captured from left to right v.v. with very minimal movements. I don't know if you noticed too but I observed that much.

Overall, the story of both slam dunk and kuroko no basket are good. I have to say I enjoyed the manga of slam dunk most especially the inter high portion. I can't conclude the story of kuroko overall yet since it's not yet finished. I might give you my opinion after it's completed. Depending on where you look at, one could be better than the other but I bet the writers deserve respect for capturing our attention noting that this forum has reached 2013. Hehe Til' next time!
Oct 20, 2013 5:45 PM

Aug 2012
DateYutaka, i believe i got your point, but (assuming i did) that doesn't change the fact that Slam Dunk stopped due to low ratings, right? Japanese audience didn't care much about Basketball, that's one of the reasons, nothing to do with the quality of the show itself obvisouly. I realize by what you said that nowadays is much easier to be considered ''good'', but you also have more people watching Anime and more shows being aired, so maybe a 6.00 now is better than a 15.00 back then? I don't know, i love SD to death, but i believe that KnB is more popular and high regarded nowadays than SD was during the 90's.
whitecrusader29 said:
1. Different Perspective
The focus of slam dunk is obviously on sakuragi's rapid improvement towards being a good basketball player. His position is ultimately different and you can observe the difference in their priorities. Proof: Rebounding was so emphasized in Slamdunk but not that much in Kuroko no basket, what's prioritized in kuroko no basket is of course the passing ability of Kuroko as a guard.
2. Lessons
Kuroko no basket has more values instilled in its episodes which was totally different from Slam Dunk. Playing as a team was emphasized and doing your best in everything you do. In slam dunk, the lessons aren't that much shown since most of the times, individual skills are being portrayed by the members not much about being a team. Doing your best value is not that much shown either as only Sakuragi works hard in practices as portrayed in the anime. It's always him who does the "hussle plays" which is different from Kuroko no basket since the latter shows the importance of each member as part of a team and each one does every little thing to win games.
3. Imaginative
The skills of the generation of miracles is just incredible. It's fascinating to watch Kuroko no Basket as it takes your mind completely "out of the box". Proof: Have you seen any player score from anywhere on the court (more than half court) Maybe it's the reason why it's fun to watch the anime since you practically can't predict what will happen next except for the fact that they will win in the end. =)
4. Modern Basketball
Kuroko no basket portrays the modern basketball which is what currently is happening as we can see alley-oops everytym, ankle breakers (which never happened in slamdunk)

1. That may be true, certainly is, it is about Sakuragi's improvement, but also the other characters. There's something i read before starting watching SD, some1 was saying ''The good about Slam Dunk is that even if you don't like the main character you could love one of the other team members! because everyone is so different and so unique!'' and i agree with that. I could perfectly hate Sakuragi but love Miyagi, or dislike Rukawa and like Akagi. What i mean is that while the 'perspective' of KnB is more about Kuroko and Kagami, in SD it is more evenly, all the main guys on the team can be equally loved and for different reasons (background story, personallity, skill, position). I feel that in KnB aside from Kuroko and Kagami, the other team members lack a bit of protagonism - or at least i would wish to see more - it is like they focus more on the other guys of Generation of Miracles, despite of us not knowing that much about them as well. But there are only have 25eps so far, so this could change anytime (and i hope it will).

2. You are also right about Kuroko lessons being much more about teamwork than in SD, but don't forget that many of the SD lessons are off-court, which is very important, not only gives you the feeling of being more real but also the relationships outside the court improve your efficiency while playing, so i find it very balanced and well done.

4. Actually here i disagree, i believe it is more the opposite, maybe for KnB being less close to reality, but SD seems closer to modern basketball. You see the importance of the fundamentals in SD thanks to Sakuragi and how the mood of the team affect their teamplay, the (dis)advantage of facing a taller opponent with Miyagi and the essence of fakes, how to rebound and keep your team together down on the court with Akagi, the way a shooting player should move to avoid his opponents and take the shot with Mitsui, the show-off and all-around moves from Rukawa. They translate very well the essential moves of basketball, and yes we also got to see alley-hoops, not forgetting that in their age that's not something you will manage to see often in a serious match (because if we are talking about how well each one makes it look like a real basketball game we also have to be mindful about their league/age).
Oct 20, 2013 6:14 PM

Mar 2013
pokecenter said:
DateYutaka, i believe i got your point, but (assuming i did) that doesn't change the fact that Slam Dunk stopped due to low ratings, right? Japanese audience didn't care much about Basketball, that's one of the reasons, nothing to do with the quality of the show itself obvisouly. I realize by what you said that nowadays is much easier to be considered ''good'', but you also have more people watching Anime and more shows being aired, so maybe a 6.00 now is better than a 15.00 back then? I don't know, i love SD to death, but i believe that KnB is more popular and high regarded nowadays than SD was during the 90's.
whitecrusader29 said:
1. Different Perspective
2. Lessons
3. Imaginative
4. Modern Basketball

1. That may be true, certainly is, it is about Sakuragi's improvement, but also the other characters. There's something i read before starting watching SD, some1 was saying ''The good about Slam Dunk is that even if you don't like the main character you could love one of the other team members! because everyone is so different and so unique!'' and i agree with that. I could perfectly hate Sakuragi but love Miyagi, or dislike Rukawa and like Akagi. What i mean is that while the 'perspective' of KnB is more about Kuroko and Kagami, in SD it is more evenly, all the main guys on the team can be equally loved and for different reasons (background story, personallity, skill, position). I feel that in KnB aside from Kuroko and Kagami, the other team members lack a bit of protagonism - or at least i would wish to see more - it is like they focus more on the other guys of Generation of Miracles, despite of us not knowing that much about them as well. But there are only have 25eps so far, so this could change anytime (and i hope it will).

2. You are also right about Kuroko lessons being much more about teamwork than in SD, but don't forget that many of the SD lessons are off-court, which is very important, not only gives you the feeling of being more real but also the relationships outside the court improve your efficiency while playing, so i find it very balanced and well done.

4. Actually here i disagree, i believe it is more the opposite, maybe for KnB being less close to reality, but SD seems closer to modern basketball. You see the importance of the fundamentals in SD thanks to Sakuragi and how the mood of the team affect their teamplay, the (dis)advantage of facing a taller opponent with Miyagi and the essence of fakes, how to rebound and keep your team together down on the court with Akagi, the way a shooting player should move to avoid his opponents and take the shot with Mitsui, the show-off and all-around moves from Rukawa. They translate very well the essential moves of basketball, and yes we also got to see alley-hoops, not forgetting that in their age that's not something you will manage to see often in a serious match (because if we are talking about how well each one makes it look like a real basketball game we also have to be mindful about their league/age).

Have to agree with you on the SD points Pokecenter.

SD truly breaks down a wide variety of modern basketball plays, calls and techniques with actually incorporating those fundamentals into the games Shohoku plays.

I also enjoy watching Kuroko no Basket, but it beings an unrealistic feel at times which may be enjoyable at times, but sometimes are pushing it too much.
Oct 31, 2013 12:30 AM

Mar 2010
I finally gave SD a try after reading some comments in this topic. I has seen Kuroko no Basket before Slam dunk. Sadly but it's true.

But what i think is that if i had seen SD before KnB i don't think i would have had even finished the KnB series or at least rated it so high.

Kuroko as a character is awesome, but i dont like that the red-heads have similar abilities. (If you know what i mean)

SD pacing was terrible in anime (except the close fights before the ending game, and hilarious parts of their daily lives - i loved those a lot!), KnB pacing is better, yet, there is no backstory to the characters which is sad and makes the series plain.

If i were to compare manga, i'd say SD is better, i really loved the artstyle and the more realistic plays.
Nov 10, 2013 1:38 AM

Nov 2013
Slam Dunk focuses more on basketball, while KnB focuses on the characters. Slam Dunk is like marketed for everyone who's into sports, while KnB is like marketed for female audience. That explains the emergence of KnB yaoi fandom. But anywho, I think both are good but I still prefer Slam Dunk.
今日の朝食はどうだった?
超ショック!!
Nov 10, 2013 1:55 AM

Dec 2012
Zeppen said:
while KnB is like marketed for female audience.

That is simply not true.
Nov 10, 2013 11:25 AM

Jul 2009
tsudecimo said:
Zeppen said:

That is simply not true.

It is...
Nov 10, 2013 11:36 AM

Nov 2010
Ownsin said:
tsudecimo said:
Zeppen said:

That is simply not true.

It is...
It is what? It's in a shounen magazine and therefore targeted towards shounen(s) or 10 - 18 year old boys. Who it appeals to though can be different than who it's targeted to but that does not mean that it's targeted towards them.
IntroverTurtleNov 10, 2013 11:39 AM
Nov 10, 2013 11:53 AM
Mar 2011
pokecenter said:
whitecrusader29 said:
1. Different Perspective
2. Lessons
3. Imaginative
4. Modern Basketball

there is only more anime prodcued for TV now cuase of THe UHF boom there less prime tme anime produced cuase the fact that for the most part alot of Studios Know they dont have the abilty or the finaiacl clout to put behind and anime

thr goes for ratings the top 5 Tv anime has been the same for at lest ten years

in the 90's a bif new anime was expacted to av a 10.00 Tv rating to be able to Ballance the books of the prodction house

Toei could afford thr faiure of DBGT it was toei and it was one big house [ in 1999 the anmation studio span off after it lost the comapy money ]

and One piece wa sthe new Toei animations first hit
while still under the toei name Toei animation is much as indepaent as any other studio is

the Toei Douga of the Showa Era and what not is not the same as the oei animation of the Heisei Era

Nov 11, 2013 6:38 AM

Apr 2009
As of right now, I'm on ep 11 of Slam Dunk, and fully caught up to the KnB manga.I like both, but I like Slam Dunk more too.

Not to say that KnB can't have its moments where it can match up to Slam Dunk, like Aomine Vs. Kise, but Slam Dunk is overall better. While KnB DOES have better games for me at least, I like Slam Dunk's characters more, for the most part.

And about realism.....it doesn't really bother me. I've read online that most swords shatter after being smashed against another sword, but I see characters all the time fighting with swords taking dozen of blows and not shattering. But in both cases of KnB and sword-fighting, making it unrealistic actually makes it more enjoyable.
Nov 15, 2013 4:45 AM
Nov 2013
Kolchao said:
As usual, people cannot have a decent discussion without bad mouthing everything they can...

Slam Dunk is for people who prefer sports manga.
Kuroko no Basket is for people who prefer Shonen manga.

Compare them all you want, in the end it will be your opinion speaking so don't complain about what others think.

If you think Kuroko no Basket is bad because the moves are unrealistic, you're stupid.
If you think Slam Dunk is bad because there are no super special moves, you're stupid.

And please, stop complaining about today's tastes... seriously, you look like a bunch of old geezers... It is normal for people to prefer new things over some of the old ones, if that didn't happen we would still be trying to make fire with sticks and stones...

Slam Dunk is over, it was incredible and epic, now make way for Kuroko no Basket, it's his turn, so behave like normal people for once and zip it.

lol Slam Dunk is the definition of how a basketball anime should be done and is a real Shounen title. The Shohoku players plus Mito and the Sakuragi goon squad can actually fight and how men should be. With slam dunk being more realistic allows us to feel and relate so much easier to them as they are almost human with flaws and mistakes. Kuroko no basuke I believe is hard for me to even feel for them since they have literally broken powers that are as retarded as yu-gi-oh rules. I cried manly tears when Sakuragi lost the first practice match against Ryonan and refused to give up. Kurokos defeat was just a meh moment. Sometimes having a strong character doesn't mean one who is literally invincible and simply being too strong from the get go. This is a flaw in anime nowadays as the mangaka think this is the way to go because of discussions such as this where "X is better than Y because etc." the industry needs to be better as truly strong characters are ones who are full of flaws but are able to fight on because they put faith in themselves and actually strive for their goal using their own strengths. Its a bit hard to explain but this is what real shonen characters are made of. Ichigo and Naruto started off like this and are now totally broken and OP which made me lose interest in mainstream anime. Ash Ketchum pulled this same shit and so I gave up the Pokemon tv series. Goku, even being born a saiyan still gets pummeled to bits and puts. His faith in his friends as well. Sakuragi literally started from nothing and had no bullshit voodoo magic accompanying his game, he taught me the fact that If I work hard enough, I will get it and reach the goals I placed no matter what comes to threaten that goal.
Nov 16, 2013 7:11 AM

Feb 2010
Personally, Slam Dunk the manga is better than the anime. Far better.

Okay fine, the anime did give us this overused yet insanely appropriate song for Shohoku last match. AMV, AMV everywhere.
Nov 22, 2013 9:09 PM
Sep 2011
I'm a fan of both KnB and Slam Dunk. The only thing about KnB is that its no that realistic but i guess anime is about living in fantasy and Slam Dunk is a pretty slow paced anime. Who cares about the art. Come on as long as the story and characters are good its all good. Some people just care about the wrapping and dont care whats in it. People who say that new generation anime fans don't like Slam Dunk thats wrong!! I'm only in high school and i love slam dunk.
Nov 22, 2013 9:15 PM

Jan 2009
there should be a Slam Dunk remake already
Nov 22, 2013 9:33 PM
Sep 2011
Yeah i want a remake too. I think if they did a remake with modern art more people will like it ^ ^
Dec 16, 2013 1:55 AM
Nov 2010
Ok. Girl speaking here. I LOVE bishies. I prefer bishies to any art depicting rough men.
I'm the typical girl, I hate sports, blahblah. I find it boring, I don't care, it's not very nice seeing sweat all over the place. BUT I love Slam Dunk more. I never cared much about basketball, I didn't even know how it was played. I'm speaking the truth here. I didn't even know how many members you need to form a team. Just by reading Slam Dunk, I learned so many things, honestly. And KnB didn't actually teach me that.
True, Sakuragi's character art is vintage. Typical of the 80s and early 90s manga/anime design. But considering this was first published in 1990, it's not surprising. The art improved SO MUCH towards the end of the manga. You just had to read it to discover it, the art was BEYOND GORGEOUS in the last 100 chapters or so. I didn't watch the anime because good grief, it was really difficult to find an anime that old to stream and watch, you know?

Anyway. Slam Dunk DOES tell you about the characters, but not too much about their background, except for maybe Mitsui. But after that he was pretty much ignored other than his side-court 3-pointers and tendency to exhaust himself out because of his old injury. It's all RAW basketball, and you can really FEEL how hard Sakuragi tries to get better at this sport when he finally fell in love with it. You can FEEL the effort he puts in and that really warms your heart, you know? Whereas KnB basically gives you a premise where these guys are a bunch of 'genius' and that's how they play. Slam Dunk isn't like that. It's more realistic, and I CRIED at the end when they won their match. I swear, I have never read a sports manga where my heart was beating SO FAST as I go through the pages.

But I'm sorry. I really, truly love Slam Dunk much, much more than KnB. HOWEVER, I also like KnB. It's modern, has a different take, and is also pretty lovely. Just giving my opinion because some of the comments guys are posting on here are just based on shallow assumptions and generalisations are just downright wrong. People are different. You just can't attack someone for not liking the same thing as you.
Dec 20, 2013 3:31 PM

Mar 2010
Q: Comparing Slam Dunk with Kuroko Baske. Is it BLASPHEMY?
A: It is BLASPHEMY(to me)! Slam Dunk is much better(to me).

To each his own.
Dec 26, 2013 2:17 AM
Jul 2010
Yes it is blasphemy. Slam dunk is million times better.
Kuroko manga goes downhill with every chapter. It is so terrible right now that inazuma 11 and prince of tennis are only legit comparisons.
As a protagonist, kuroko sucks. Hell, it is even laughable to consider him a protagonist.
Hanamichi all the way. Kuroko should be cancelled so we can get Slam dunk remake.
Shohoku vs Sannoh will be epitome of epicness.
Dec 27, 2013 2:49 PM
Dec 2012
I love both Slam Dunk and KnB. Even though they're both about basketball they're very different. Slam Dunk took the more realistic approach while Kuroko is unrealistc. Everyone has their own taste and it's not true that real basketball fans will dislike KnB b/c its unrealistic. I'm a tennis player and even though most of the moves in Prince of Tennis are impossible to do, I still love watching it. Slam Dunk and KnB are both great! Also, I'm a bishie fan and although I prefer KnB art over Slam Dunk, it doesn't mean I like KnB better just bc of the cute guys.(Slam Dunk has a bishie too : Rukawa <3)
Jan 3, 2014 2:11 AM

Jun 2010
I really enjoyed Kuroko back when I watched the 1st season and read all the chapters afterwards, but after reading/watching all of Slam Dunk, its an absolute masterpiece. While sadly Kuroko is getting worst as it goes on, getting more and more ridiculous/outlandish in its portrayal of the games let alone the skills. It's getting on my nerves these days honestly. I was starting to sweat reading the last 15 chapters of Slam Dunk, they were that phenomenally enjoyable.

Reading Slam Dunk also made me realize some major points it destroys Kuroko in. While Kuroko has some good characters, Slam Dunk blows it away. The entire central cast of Slam Dunk is many times more memorable and interesting then most of the cast of Kuroko. The antagonists are also far better, they aren't a bunch of annoying douches (there are a few but barely) and you will likely even like many of them (Uozumi, Sendoh, Maki). While Kuroko... I downright hate some of the antagonists to a bitter degree. And I can't even think of one I like, Kise probably the closest.

In some ways they are so different its unfair to compare them I admit, but I think the increasingly outlandish and often poor characterization of Kuroko make it weak compared.
Jan 4, 2014 6:03 PM

Feb 2013
Was I the only one thinking that ethese arguments are almost the as the arguements between call of duty and battlefield; realism?
I prefer KnB as I like to dream...
Jesus can walk on water. Cucumbers are 96% water. I can walk on cucumbers. I'm 96% Jesus.
Jan 4, 2014 8:02 PM

Jun 2010
exp_phantasy said:
Was I the only one thinking that ethese arguments are almost the as the arguements between call of duty and battlefield; realism?

Lol if you are going to lie at least add Slam Dunk to your MAL to make it believable. Another person who has never watched or read Slam Dunk,gj.
Jan 4, 2014 8:07 PM

Dec 2012
LuciferIAm said:
exp_phantasy said:

Lol if you are going to lie at least add Slam Dunk to your MAL to make it believable. Another person who has never watched or read Slam Dunk,gj.

Lie about what?

He saying that this same argument of realism between Battlefield ( which is Slam dunk in this analogy ergo he is calling it realistic) and call of duty (KnB ergo calling it unrealistic ''I like to dream'')
Jan 6, 2014 1:42 PM

Jun 2010
tsudecimo said:
LuciferIAm said:
exp_phantasy said:

Lie about what?

He saying that this same argument of realism between Battlefield ( which is Slam dunk in this analogy ergo he is calling it realistic) and call of duty (KnB ergo calling it unrealistic ''I like to dream'')

He hasn't even seen Slam Dunk... that was the point...

Secondly many people talk about the characters more then realism and the characters in Slam Dunk are leagues above the largely irritating cast in Kuroko.
Jan 6, 2014 1:46 PM

Dec 2012
?

You don't need to watch Slam Dunk to know that it's more realistic in terms of basketball compared to KnB. What was the lie?

How is that even relevant here?
Jan 6, 2014 4:26 PM

Jun 2010
tsudecimo said:
?

You don't need to watch Slam Dunk to know that it's more realistic in terms of basketball compared to KnB. What was the lie?

How is that even relevant here?

How can you 'prefer' something legitimately when you haven't even tried the other part of the conversation? I really don't know how to be more clear. What's he even doing here?
Jan 7, 2014 5:00 AM

Mar 2013
I watched kuroko no basuke and really liked it, I am currently reading slam dunk and find it amazing, I like the story. In my opinion as in me liking I would say they are both on par basically, but with how "real" kuroko no basuke is, there is clearly some fabrication, but im not a basket ball fanatic so I have no quarry with that issue. Overall they are both really good.
kyuubi-hollowJan 7, 2014 5:05 AM

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I don't like sports in general

mydaddy - May 17

9 by Dragon456hon »»
May 21, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zerachroma - Mar 24, 2008

79 by oikawaprai »»
May 4, 11:42 PM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 46 Discussion

Jawaese - Jul 31, 2011

28 by kudzuken »»
May 2, 7:01 AM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 84 Discussion

Zerachroma - Mar 24, 2008

41 by oikawaprai »»
May 2, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 95 Discussion

ember-moon - Jul 12, 2013

6 by bucciest »»
Apr 25, 10:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.