Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 13, 2021 11:53 AM

Jan 2021
I cried. He didn’t deserve to die. Nello ):
Sep 29, 2021 4:43 PM

Aug 2014
Berry-Vodka said:
Guess is a well know story but it's just doesn't make any sense to me because some of the actions of the characters are beyond stupid plus the religious context ugh... the girl's fate is also super sexist, yep this didn't age well. i liked the ending where he didn't won lol! i would have like it if naruto and company would get this treatment 3/10. and yeah the neatherlands seemed to be a murder of children and dogs since long ago, reminded me of that old tale: the match girl heh..

I was about to write a longer reply until I read your whole comment and noticed you're just a troll.
Have fun with that.
Nov 2, 2021 7:17 AM

Dec 2013
Not too fond of it.
A european setting which is not Italy, France or UK is a welcome surprise for sure. I like the scene where Alois's father tells shit on the landlord only to realize that he's no better, hanging his head.
And that's about it. I'm tired of old anime/movies following the same tropes. Old people always have to be plot devices for the child to grow up. Don't even try attaching to a character if you see gray hair - you can be sure they're dead by the end of story. Once again, the same good kid being treated unfairly. He doesn't have parents, damn show me something new. Women being powerless with no say in any matter is just cringe to watch. Sure, historically correct but annoying nonetheless.
I guess the kid dying in the end was unexpected given that it felt like another kids' movie for the most part but it didn't make much sense. Why not accept a meal when you're starved to the point of dying?
The dog's loyalty was heartwarming at least.
Dec 29, 2021 12:36 PM

Mar 2015
Man, the hate people are giving this movie is incredibly obnoxious honestly.
The people who dislike this movie seem like they lack empathy or any real understanding of the struggles that come with being in a situation like Nellos or anyone elses, much less in context of the time the story takes place in.
Too many people are calling the story simple and unoriginal as well--it's a story from 1872! Whatever nonsense you've seen or read that makes you feel that this movie is 'uninspired' or 'unoriginal' very likely was either written much later than this, or inspired by stories of a similar time period.

This movie was beautiful. Life is tragic, and it's unfortunate that it has to be that way. Some of the characters were complete asses, but through Nello and Alois, I hope that children can come to understand the stubbornness and rigid adherence to tradition and status that plagues many adults and create a brighter future than we have even now.
Mar 21, 2022 7:08 PM
Superior

Apr 2008
Deducting a point because I can't fap to it, it's a 9/10.
Jul 24, 2022 11:58 PM

Sep 2018
The movie was a lot more forlorn than I anticipated it to be. Touching story, 8/10.
Oct 16, 2022 7:07 AM
Aug 2022
Almost cried to this masterpiece
Dec 22, 2022 9:58 PM

Jul 2016
lol, damn. reading some of the comments above and from the first page, crazy... people are giving this movie flack? i'm just going to choose to not continue on that negative note...

think i set myself up from the start since i had mistaken romeo no aoi sora's promotional poster as belonging to "flanders no inu" in my memory, perpetuated by stephen's striking likeness to romeo and nello's to 'a grown up' alfredo... nello never got to grow up, i know that now. because of this, i was waiting for stephen and nello to kindle a friendship along tutoring in his family estate at least by the last 30 minutes. not at all... and now i will establish that there is a a chain link of expectations of this movie that repeatedly got toppled until i was left staring into the black and white credits rolling down in dullness. as, i also mistook this to be an idyllic summer rather than the cruel winter it became. coincidentally, today was a severe winter storm with snowfall only a few days before christmas - much like in flanders no inu i'd suppose... or perhaps it did reach christmas, if the random background kid shouting it was any indicator. who knows, many say christmas cheers generally any time before the actual day. i'm a fan of nippon animation and this film was made for me, 10/10. tales of crushing despair befalling inherently good souls inspires compassion. elicits kindness and generosity. there are homeless people in the streets of the city who have only their dog for companionship in the cold, begging for cash to feed and take care of the both of them. though friends and i never walk by in our warm coats without donating to such a cause of empathy, it is nothing special; short of the bare minimum. the way nearly everyone in nello's breathing range treat him even after the loss of his last living family member (spare patrasche), provider, and guardian, is nefarious. can you imagine having the gall of the landlord to pin the blame on a child for a fire caused by his own neglect and additionally evict him from the property in the middle of deathly cold weather? nello has lost any opportunity for work with his milk cart, to earn coin, coin to have a place to stay at night, coin to fend off starvation... ending in deaths inside a church, blessed only by cherubs. regret has no use for the dead.

you do wonder the reasons why nello only sought out salvation for his dog and not for himself. in that situation, at that age, having selfishness to survive must be exacerbated. had he started to associate others with the notion that they cannot truly be depended or relied on, due to the sudden constant rejection he received from adults he had once viewed favorably? did he not want to be a charity case? a decreased image of self worth of even being pitied on to garner sympathy in some form or support? (which frankly - nobody seemed bothered enough to prove otherwise.) whatever it was, it is a tragic conclusion.
Jan 28, 2023 9:56 AM

Apr 2019
mizukasa said:
How did he die? The greatest mystery in this overrated movie.

4/10
Hypothermia, obviously.
Jan 28, 2023 10:07 AM

Apr 2019
LancimusPrime said:
The people who dislike this movie seem like they lack empathy or any real understanding of the struggles that come with being in a situation like Nellos or anyone elses, much less in context of the time the story takes place in.
Too many people are calling the story simple and unoriginal as well--it's a story from 1872! Whatever nonsense you've seen or read that makes you feel that this movie is 'uninspired' or 'unoriginal' very likely was either written much later than this, or inspired by stories of a similar time period.

This movie was beautiful. Life is tragic, and it's unfortunate that it has to be that way. Some of the characters were complete asses, but through Nello and Alois, I hope that children can come to understand the stubbornness and rigid adherence to tradition and status that plagues many adults and create a brighter future than we have even now.

I don't like the movie very much, but the 1975 series is the best story ever created by human beings.
The film fails in many ways, the main one being the characters not acting their age. Like, Alois is 9 years old and more mature than the adults - in the series she is the same age but acts like a child, which is natural. Of course, not just Alois, but Nello as well.
There's no point in me going into too much detail. the execution of this movie is poor, it doesn't even come close to the 1975 series, even down to the voice acting that changed all the voice actors which weren't as good as the 1975 anime.

Just skip that movie and watch the 52 episodes of the 1975 anime.
Jan 28, 2023 11:30 AM

Mar 2015
ProxyLain said:
LancimusPrime said:

I don't like the movie very much, but the 1975 series is the best story ever created by human beings.
The film fails in many ways, the main one being the characters not acting their age. Like, Alois is 9 years old and more mature than the adults - in the series she is the same age but acts like a child, which is natural. Of course, not just Alois, but Nello as well.
There's no point in me going into too much detail. the execution of this movie is poor, it doesn't even come close to the 1975 series, even down to the voice acting that changed all the voice actors which weren't as good as the 1975 anime.

Just skip that movie and watch the 52 episodes of the 1975 anime.
Your criticisms are probably mostly fair honestly. I really love the general story of this movie, and the book was one I always cherished as a kid, but I haven't actually seen the original 1975 series, and from what you're saying, that sounds like a disservice on my part. Although, I don't know if the criticism about these kids acting too adult like is really all that fair. In a lot of children's works, the children tend to act more adult like than real children would, but they do still have a lot of moments where they are able to be more childlike to relate to its core audience. In the context of a movie though, especially one that adapts a lengthy 52 episode series, it can be a bit hard to show as much as those carefree, child-like moments as one would like. 

Compilation movies are a tricky thing. In some cases, they can be great on their own, but lack a lot the substance that makes the original so magical. In the case of this movie, I'm probably inclined to say that it is still really good, but it pales in comparison to the original. I read your review of the series, and it really does seem to explore a lot of the wonderful ideas that this movie alludes to, so I'll probably definitely give that a watch.
Feb 9, 2023 4:55 PM

Nov 2014
Doubt. There is nothing stating such a thing. Plus, the situation he was in is not cold enough to induce it.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.