Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 9, 9:43 AM

Jan 2009
Milgram's obedience experiment and Arendt's concept of banality of evil both suggest that ordinary people can commit harmful acts when obeying authority, highlighting a lack of critical moral thinking. https://brainly.com/question/44340520

i say im often obedient but not always so thats why i think im no saint and i can be evil too at times but personally i consider myself lesser evil so how about you? and thoughts?
May 9, 9:48 AM

Sep 2016
As a slave I'm always blindly obedient to my mistress (if I had one)

By the way, speaking of Milgram experiment: https://myanimelist.net/anime/47794/MILGRAM
The concept of this Anime might be the most unique and interactive concept ever.
ZarutakuMay 9, 10:06 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 9, 9:57 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Zarutaku
As a slave I'm always blindly obedient to my mistress (if I had one)

By the way, speaking of Milgram experiment: https://myanimelist.net/anime/47794/MILGRAM
The concept of this Anime might be the most unique and interactive concept ever.
@Zarutaku there is almost all anime for everything eh
May 9, 9:58 AM

Jan 2009
Yes, it explains how teachers could get through with forcing even little children to wear useless masks that have more negative effects physiologically and psychologically. If I had been in a position of power like that, I would have never forced anyone wearing anything useless and harmful like that and especially wouldn't bully people into taking specific medication to get some service
If it weren't for the irrational high fines, I would have been far less obedient with mask wearing back then in public, but at least people didn't care in private settings
May 9, 10:12 AM

Jul 2013
The governments are responsible for every evil conspiracy btw...
May 9, 10:14 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to DesuMaiden
The governments are responsible for every evil conspiracy btw...
@DesuMaiden i always find it sad that first world people with all the benefits of a good government they have compared to evil corrupt governments of poor countries are always anti government like you

trust me you do not know what corrupt evil government is like since you live in a rich country
May 9, 10:17 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to deg
@DesuMaiden i always find it sad that first world people with all the benefits of a good government they have compared to evil corrupt governments of poor countries are always anti government like you

trust me you do not know what corrupt evil government is like since you live in a rich country
@deg false...the first world governments are also evil. The "rich" countries are only rich because they extort and plunder wealth from the poor countries.
May 9, 10:18 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to DesuMaiden
@deg false...the first world governments are also evil. The "rich" countries are only rich because they extort and plunder wealth from the poor countries.
@DesuMaiden in some cases sure but corrupt governments and evil politicians are more common on poor countries
May 9, 10:20 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to deg
@DesuMaiden in some cases sure but corrupt governments and evil politicians are more common on poor countries
@deg that is not true. All politicians are corrupt and evil. And anyone trusting the government is naive and foolish.
May 9, 10:22 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to DesuMaiden
@deg that is not true. All politicians are corrupt and evil. And anyone trusting the government is naive and foolish.
@DesuMaiden lol if you do not have at least a good enough government then your country will become poor too

anyway youre clearly going with conspiracy theories and anti government beliefs so im not gonna bother more
May 9, 10:33 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to deg
@DesuMaiden lol if you do not have at least a good enough government then your country will become poor too

anyway youre clearly going with conspiracy theories and anti government beliefs so im not gonna bother more
@deg no,the "wealth" of nations has absolutely nothing to do with "good" governments...the "wealthy" countries all depend on extorting and stealing other country's wealth via military domination. Not that it matters because when NTHE arrives, no humans will be spared.
May 9, 11:16 AM

Oct 2015
It's called conformity. In our evolutionary roots, we did need a cohesive group wherein members cooperate with one another and ensure each other's survival by protection/resource sharing. A non-conformist will cause strife within the group which may weaken their willingness to accept her as their own, leading to that trait not being passed down as much.

@Zarutaku, thanks for the rec! It says music but, does it have plot or?
May 9, 11:17 AM
Aug 2011
deg said:
a lack of critical moral thinking

While the Milgram experiment is reproducible, you can't just jump to the claim that it shows a "lack of critical moral thinking". That's not a conclusion you can just state from the data.

What if people just *assumed it was ok* because they think that the university wouldn't actually be harming people, and you'd been told that the participants are volunteers.

Like you wouldn't assume that the university was murdering people with electric shocks, because that would be an unreasonable way for you to interpret the situation you find yourself in, I've read that people were willing to give "fatal" shocks, but ... who would assume the shocks were really fatal. you'd assume it wasn't.

And you might also assume that if the shocks were in fact that bad, then the other person can just get up and leave. It would be unreasonable to assume that the college was forcibly strapping people in to electrocute them.

so rather than a lack of moral judgement, the results might be muddied by the unreality of the situation. people are aware that they are participating in a psychology experiment so they treat it as an unreal / fictional situation, since you EXPECT that in a psychology experiment.
cipheronMay 9, 11:24 AM
May 9, 11:21 AM

Sep 2016
Auron_ said:
thanks for the rec! It says music but, does it have plot or?

Yes, the show has an overarching plot and additionally each episode is a song with a separate plot.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 9, 1:25 PM

Oct 2013
It's funny how most of people I met who were obsessed over authorities and science, were repulsed by the whole idea of that experiment performed by Stanley Milgram to research the matter of people's obedience to authority. Hypocrisy? Cognitive dissonance? Or maybe, that's what I think it was, simply lack of intelligence.

It's good to listen to experts, especially when your knowledge on a subject is not as high to make you aware of some things. But choosing to be obsessed over it, aka becoming oblivious to doing basic research, pushing away all morals, and deciding to become a mindless fanatic ready to shovel down everyone's throat anything said by the authority they believe in? It ain't sane and rational obedience, or listening to scientists. It's just a human being willingfully turning into a brainless zombie. Am aggressive one, if I may add.

As for the obedience itself, I have my brain. It's impossible to say whether I'm obedient or not in general, because it depends on a situation. I don't break law, so I'm obedient to the country I'm living in. At the same time, I don't believe in anything new that popular scientists say, especially in the fields they don't even research themselves. Same goes with morality. I wouldn't continue the experiment mentioned earlier, after hearing out of the blue that someone had heart problems and couldn't stand receiving those electric shocks. No matter whether it was true or not, risking someone else's life or health for the sake of a mere psychological experiment that didn't even have to be performed to research the topic of human obedience, would be out of question.
โœจSaint Seiya Club๐ŸŒ 
May 9, 2:03 PM

Jun 2019
The "banality of evil" is the most laughable philosophical theory ever created (probably to cover up the reputation of her lover Heidegger...) for the Nazis in charge of the Final Solution were anything but ordinary people. How could an ordinary mind seriously think about implementing such a grotesque and inhumane plan? Studies have showed that most soldiers only reluctantly shoot at the enemy, so how would a normal person decide to carry a mass slaughter that would last for years? This theory is just shallow, and the Milgram Experiment is useless, for we have real-life data in a military context where the authority is considerably more threatening and the consequences of disobedience possibly catastrophic (severe corporal punishment or death).

I do not care about rules and "authority," but I obviously would never break the law.
May 9, 3:08 PM

Feb 2024
I don't even need a reason to break rules or violate law, I do it just for fun sometimes. Not sure what is that "authority" thing you all mean.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 9, 6:11 PM

Jun 2015
Meusnier said:
The "banality of evil" is the most laughable philosophical theory ever created (probably to cover up the reputation of her lover Heidegger...) for the Nazis in charge of the Final Solution were anything but ordinary people. How could an ordinary mind seriously think about implementing such a grotesque and inhumane plan? Studies have showed that most soldiers only reluctantly shoot at the enemy, so how would a normal person decide to carry a mass slaughter that would last for years? This theory is just shallow, and the Milgram Experiment is useless, for we have real-life data in a military context where the authority is considerably more threatening and the consequences of disobedience possibly catastrophic (severe corporal punishment or death).
milgram's research was concerned with direct presence of authority and obedience, which is a bit more complex. there are a lot of problems with the experiments, ethically and otherwise, but they are valuable jumping off points. we understand how conformity, authority, and group processes work a lot better now after bodies of research it inspired. calling it useless is very weird to me. it was also replicated more ethically with studies like burger (2009). there also used to be a critique of milgram's two famous experiments that the 60s american culture bred the conformity that led to the results but later studies addressed this with contemporary polish samples, for ex.

i dont disagree about there being unusual individuals who led, it's a problem i have with that recent film zone of interest. it's a great film for challenging the idea of looking at the past as a set of dead facts (very walter benjamin-esque idea), but it presents höss as a relatable individual when he was honestly the poster child for psychopathy. the film is also responsible for the contemporary normalization for the "banality of evil" phrase, i think, bc every critic repeated it and so did every fan review, which is unfortunate. but "unusual" individuals, even exceptionally awful ones, have etiologies we can and should examine so that we can enact early prevention. and groups tend to work in weirdly influential ways. that's the whole motivation for large parts of research in social psych, btw. jewish psychologists who had every motivation to discount external factors and blame some unknowable intrinsic property stood above that desire and worked towards empirical research so that we could prevent this sort of thing from happening. the best way to repeat atrocity is to distance yourself from it.

also the opinion piece you linked to that references the research you are citing says the opposite of what you are intending, saying that we've gotten much better at forcing that conformity over time lol

the speculation on arendt's relational motivation is a bit off in the timeline too for various reasons, but its a cute joke ig
codyMay 9, 6:15 PM

May 9, 7:34 PM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
If there's anything I've learned from the past four years, it's that people who are fearful and demoralized will do anything -surrender every last ounce of freedom if they are fearful enough. They will huddle up to their aggressors as if they have stockholm syndrome simply to feel a momentary semblance of protection, even if they have to burn down everything around them. Civil disobedience is a moral imperative.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
May 9, 10:17 PM

Jun 2022
i dont know that experiment but it seems fucking obvious lol.

im quite obedient and I am also consciously so. when I don't rebel, it's a choice I made. because I don't really know what to do, at the end of the day. And at the end of the day, what matters is family and friends, i think.

but I like the evil to be known, I want it to be known to everyone, and maybe others will react differently than me or maybe they will react the same.

lol i want everyone to try on the glasses from they live
rian2May 9, 10:21 PM
May 9, 11:00 PM

Apr 2024
๐„๐ฏ๐ข๐ฅ, ๐š๐ฌ ๐š ๐œ๐จ๐ง๐œ๐ž๐ฉ๐ญ, ๐ก๐š๐ฌ ๐š๐ฅ๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ๐ฌ ๐œ๐š๐ฉ๐ญ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ž๐ ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐ข๐ฆ๐š๐ ๐ข๐ง๐š๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ก๐š๐ฌ ๐›๐ž๐ž๐ง ๐ฐ๐ข๐๐ž๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ž๐ฆ๐›๐ซ๐š๐œ๐ž๐ ๐ญ๐ก๐ซ๐จ๐ฎ๐ ๐ก๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ซ๐ฒ, ๐ฉ๐ซ๐ข๐ฆ๐š๐ซ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐๐ฎ๐ž ๐ญ๐จ ๐ข๐ญ๐ฌ ๐š๐ฌ๐ฌ๐จ๐œ๐ข๐š๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ก ๐ซ๐ž๐ฅ๐ข๐ ๐ข๐จ๐ง. ๐‡๐จ๐ฐ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ, ๐ข๐ญ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ข๐ฆ๐ฉ๐จ๐ซ๐ญ๐š๐ง๐ญ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ง๐จ ๐œ๐จ๐ง๐œ๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ž ๐ž๐ฏ๐ข๐๐ž๐ง๐œ๐ž ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ฉ๐ฉ๐จ๐ซ๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ข๐ญ๐ฌ ๐ž๐ฑ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž๐ง๐œ๐ž. ๐’๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฉ๐ซ๐ข๐ฌ๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ฅ๐ฒ, ๐๐ž๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ญ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐š๐œ๐ค ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ž๐ฏ๐ข๐๐ž๐ง๐œ๐ž, ๐ข๐ญ ๐ก๐š๐ฌ ๐ฉ๐ซ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ง ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐ž ๐ช๐ฎ๐ข๐ญ๐ž ๐›๐ž๐ง๐ž๐Ÿ๐ข๐œ๐ข๐š๐ฅ ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐ฉ๐จ๐ฅ๐ข๐ญ๐ข๐œ๐š๐ฅ ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฉ๐จ๐ฌ๐ž๐ฌ.
May 10, 2:11 PM

Jun 2019
cody said:
Meusnier said:
milgram's research was concerned with direct presence of authority and obedience, which is a bit more complex. there are a lot of problems with the experiments, ethically and otherwise, but they are valuable jumping off points. we understand how conformity, authority, and group processes work a lot better now after bodies of research it inspired. calling it useless is very weird to me. it was also replicated more ethically with studies like burger (2009). there also used to be a critique of milgram's two famous experiments that the 60s american culture bred the conformity that led to the results but later studies addressed this with contemporary polish samples, for ex.

i dont disagree about there being unusual individuals who led, it's a problem i have with that recent film zone of interest. it's a great film for challenging the idea of looking at the past as a set of dead facts (very walter benjamin-esque idea), but it presents höss as a relatable individual when he was honestly the poster child for psychopathy. the film is also responsible for the contemporary normalization for the "banality of evil" phrase, i think, bc every critic repeated it and so did every fan review, which is unfortunate. but "unusual" individuals, even exceptionally awful ones, have etiologies we can and should examine so that we can enact early prevention. and groups tend to work in weirdly influential ways. that's the whole motivation for large parts of research in social psych, btw. jewish psychologists who had every motivation to discount external factors and blame some unknowable intrinsic property stood above that desire and worked towards empirical research so that we could prevent this sort of thing from happening. the best way to repeat atrocity is to distance yourself from it.

also the opinion piece you linked to that references the research you are citing says the opposite of what you are intending, saying that we've gotten much better at forcing that conformity over time lol

the speculation on arendt's relational motivation is a bit off in the timeline too for various reasons, but its a cute joke ig

Not really. A more ranked officer is typically present in every military unit, and during WWI, soldiers were forced to follow the assault, although they would typically not even shoot at the enemy (or have the chance to do so).

Not just "unusual" but large variations. A lot of them were exceptional in the etymological sense (removing every moral aspects from the equation: "Gandhi himself knew full well. Setting aside all moral judgements, one might say that he and Hitler have been amongst the greatest publicity agents of all time." André Weil). Half of the high Nazi officials were on drugs, and the rest were fanatics. I have not watched the movie, but I have read a few reviews of it. However, it does seem much worse than the interesting explorations of the sexual aspects of Nazism (or fascism as in Pasolini's masterpiece—not even mentioned in the BBC article linked below) in second-rate movies such as The Night Porter. To me, "Nazi chic" is a non-issue since people who would want to make Nazis appear as complete monsters devoid of any normal human feelings are also missing the point. A monster could be a good father, be good to his children, like to pet animals, and even be a vegetarian out of his love for the animals... But as it is said in the Bible, even men of evil are good to the ones they love, so it does not show anything. However, making a movie entirely on the domestic aspect is also missing the bigger picture, so I do not see the point of such movies. Prevention is another completely different topic, and I highly doubt that it has ever been considered as a serious goal since no large-scale tests of neurodivergence are performed in the Western countries. It is obviously very interesting to study the characters of historical figures, be they geniuses or monsters, but the clinical aspect will always be reductive (just look at the kind of nonsense published on Dostoevsky) and miss the richness of a literary analysis (as the one of Napoléon by Chateaubriand). "Discount the external factors." Obviously, if Hitler had not lost his father so young and had been raised by a wealthy family, he would never have become the most hated person who has ever lived... The situation is not that complicated, the destiny of a man is made of special circumstances united to a specific character. You cannot remove a man from his milieu to conduct "scientific experiments" (that only borrow to science its name).

It does not actually. It only shows that you can brainwash people into killing soldiers, and that unless the situation is as desperate as Vietnam, you will not even manage to have half of soldiers do their job. Not that it comes naturally to people to commit atrocities. By the way, this aspect had been taken into account by the ones who planned the Holocaust (since the Sonderkommandos were the ones doing the most traumatising work).

You should know that I never joke, and I would be really curious to hear the said "various reasons" (that you will never be able to state)... The "banality of evil" remains to this day the most preposterous philosophical theories ever thought of. It is simply orthogonal to reality. Instead of losing one's time studying fourth-rate philosophers, one should rather read the love letters Heidegger sent to his mistresses.
MeusnierMay 10, 2:15 PM
May 10, 7:14 PM

May 2018
Generally speaking, I'm surrounded by ethical authoritative figures so I tend to be obedient. But I'm constantly questioning authority and weighing the morality behind my actions, so I'd like to believe I wouldn't fit into the results of those experiments.

I pay my taxes, but I will march in the streets kinda thing...
DRINK SOME WATER! FOOL!!!
May 11, 4:53 PM

Aug 2018
The innate sense to obey and conform, societal peer pressures, corrupt and immoral authorities trickling down, affecting the rest...

The occasional sheep, sociopaths, and psychopaths in all of that. I guess there's some truths and flaws to the banality of evil and the Milgram experiment.
May 11, 4:59 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to AdamBirch
๐„๐ฏ๐ข๐ฅ, ๐š๐ฌ ๐š ๐œ๐จ๐ง๐œ๐ž๐ฉ๐ญ, ๐ก๐š๐ฌ ๐š๐ฅ๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ๐ฌ ๐œ๐š๐ฉ๐ญ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ž๐ ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐ข๐ฆ๐š๐ ๐ข๐ง๐š๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ก๐š๐ฌ ๐›๐ž๐ž๐ง ๐ฐ๐ข๐๐ž๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ž๐ฆ๐›๐ซ๐š๐œ๐ž๐ ๐ญ๐ก๐ซ๐จ๐ฎ๐ ๐ก๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ซ๐ฒ, ๐ฉ๐ซ๐ข๐ฆ๐š๐ซ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐๐ฎ๐ž ๐ญ๐จ ๐ข๐ญ๐ฌ ๐š๐ฌ๐ฌ๐จ๐œ๐ข๐š๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ก ๐ซ๐ž๐ฅ๐ข๐ ๐ข๐จ๐ง. ๐‡๐จ๐ฐ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ, ๐ข๐ญ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ข๐ฆ๐ฉ๐จ๐ซ๐ญ๐š๐ง๐ญ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ง๐จ ๐œ๐จ๐ง๐œ๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ž ๐ž๐ฏ๐ข๐๐ž๐ง๐œ๐ž ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ฉ๐ฉ๐จ๐ซ๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ข๐ญ๐ฌ ๐ž๐ฑ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž๐ง๐œ๐ž. ๐’๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฉ๐ซ๐ข๐ฌ๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ฅ๐ฒ, ๐๐ž๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ญ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐š๐œ๐ค ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ž๐ฏ๐ข๐๐ž๐ง๐œ๐ž, ๐ข๐ญ ๐ก๐š๐ฌ ๐ฉ๐ซ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ง ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐ž ๐ช๐ฎ๐ข๐ญ๐ž ๐›๐ž๐ง๐ž๐Ÿ๐ข๐œ๐ข๐š๐ฅ ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐ฉ๐จ๐ฅ๐ข๐ญ๐ข๐œ๐š๐ฅ ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฉ๐จ๐ฌ๐ž๐ฌ.
@AdamBirch that is true...it is all just PsyOps...
May 11, 5:21 PM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
Reply to DesuMaiden
@deg no,the "wealth" of nations has absolutely nothing to do with "good" governments...the "wealthy" countries all depend on extorting and stealing other country's wealth via military domination. Not that it matters because when NTHE arrives, no humans will be spared.
deg said:

DesuMaiden said:

Economic illiteracy on both sides. The government does not create wealth, nor does imperialism.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
May 11, 6:00 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to DreamWindow
deg said:

DesuMaiden said:

Economic illiteracy on both sides. The government does not create wealth, nor does imperialism.
@DreamWindow you are dumb...NTHE will happen...and nobody wiil survive it
May 11, 11:25 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to DreamWindow
deg said:

DesuMaiden said:

@DreamWindow reminder to everyone that youre a lolbertarian so youre antigovernment

inb4 you call me authoritarian because i support a clean and good government

also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickle-up_economics
degMay 12, 12:04 AM
May 12, 11:22 AM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
Reply to deg
@DreamWindow reminder to everyone that youre a lolbertarian so youre antigovernment

inb4 you call me authoritarian because i support a clean and good government

also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickle-up_economics
@deg

The fact that you point out a wiki article on "trickle up economics" just furthers my point. There is no such as "trickle up" or "trickle down" economics. You've been captivated by a catchphrase invented by the media.

I'd recommend reading this essay. It's only 13 pages.
http://www.tsowell.com/images/Hoover%20Proof.pdf

DesuMaiden said:

Cool man, thanks for letting me know.
DreamWindowMay 12, 11:37 AM

May 12, 11:49 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to DreamWindow
@deg

The fact that you point out a wiki article on "trickle up economics" just furthers my point. There is no such as "trickle up" or "trickle down" economics. You've been captivated by a catchphrase invented by the media.

I'd recommend reading this essay. It's only 13 pages.
http://www.tsowell.com/images/Hoover%20Proof.pdf

DesuMaiden said:

Cool man, thanks for letting me know.
@DreamWindow no its labels invented by politicians and it works by simplifying their economic policies
May 12, 12:00 PM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
Reply to deg
@DreamWindow no its labels invented by politicians and it works by simplifying their economic policies
@deg

The labels mean nothing if they don't properly explain what is really happening.

What actually followed the cuts in tax rates in the 1920s were rising
output, rising employment to produce that output, rising incomes as a
result and rising tax revenues for the government because of the
rising incomes, even though the tax rates had been lowered. Another
consequence was that people in higher income brackets not only paid a
larger total amount of taxes, but a higher percentage of all taxes, after
what have been called “tax cuts for the rich.” There were somewhat
similar results in later years after high tax rates were cut during the John
F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush administrations.9 After
the 1920s tax cuts, it was not simply that investors’ incomes rose but that
this was now taxable income, since the lower tax rates made it profitable
for investors to get higher returns by investing outside of tax shelters.

This is economic growth. But anyone in opposition can simply say that anyone who chooses to favour this outcome is "advocating for tax cuts for the rich" or "trickle down economics" then all thinking ceases, because the term means nothing. If you fail to look past the catch phrases, and understand what they are really advocating for, it will be easier to understand what politics really is. In many cases, it's a show.

These labels serve nothing more than easy ways to manipulate the public into voting a certain way, without having to really think about how things really work.
DreamWindowMay 12, 12:03 PM

May 12, 12:04 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to DreamWindow
@deg

The labels mean nothing if they don't properly explain what is really happening.

What actually followed the cuts in tax rates in the 1920s were rising
output, rising employment to produce that output, rising incomes as a
result and rising tax revenues for the government because of the
rising incomes, even though the tax rates had been lowered. Another
consequence was that people in higher income brackets not only paid a
larger total amount of taxes, but a higher percentage of all taxes, after
what have been called “tax cuts for the rich.” There were somewhat
similar results in later years after high tax rates were cut during the John
F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush administrations.9 After
the 1920s tax cuts, it was not simply that investors’ incomes rose but that
this was now taxable income, since the lower tax rates made it profitable
for investors to get higher returns by investing outside of tax shelters.

This is economic growth. But anyone in opposition can simply say that anyone who chooses to favour this outcome is "advocating for tax cuts for the rich" or "trickle down economics" then all thinking ceases, because the term means nothing. If you fail to look past the catch phrases, and understand what they are really advocating for, it will be easier to understand what politics really is. In many cases, it's a show.

These labels serve nothing more than easy ways to manipulate the public into voting a certain way, without having to really think about how things really work.
@DreamWindow raeganomics is a scam https://qz.com/429487/a-new-imf-study-debunks-trickle-down-economics

trickle down economics is why we have problematic income and wealth inequality today

A huge study of 20 years of global wealth demolishes the myth of 'trickle-down' and shows the rich are taking most of the gains for themselves https://www.businessinsider.com/how-bad-is-inequality-trickle-down-economics-thomas-piketty-economists-2021-12
May 12, 12:12 PM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
Reply to deg
@DreamWindow raeganomics is a scam https://qz.com/429487/a-new-imf-study-debunks-trickle-down-economics

trickle down economics is why we have problematic income and wealth inequality today

A huge study of 20 years of global wealth demolishes the myth of 'trickle-down' and shows the rich are taking most of the gains for themselves https://www.businessinsider.com/how-bad-is-inequality-trickle-down-economics-thomas-piketty-economists-2021-12
@deg

First, I would like to ask a question. Did you read the essay I linked to you? I think it is important context that you will be missing, otherwise.

The article you cited is largely vague, only citing "trickle down economics" once again, which as I have said before is a mythical obfuscation of real terms used by economists, and detracts from any actual understanding of the economic policies that are even being discussed. What is it about Reaganomics, in particular, is "trickle down"?

Furthermore, your views tend to contradict each other. You advocate for degrowth, yet you want to increase the standard of living for the poor? You can't do that, unless you have an increase of economic output. Everything I have read from you is incoherent.

May 12, 12:18 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to DreamWindow
@deg

First, I would like to ask a question. Did you read the essay I linked to you? I think it is important context that you will be missing, otherwise.

The article you cited is largely vague, only citing "trickle down economics" once again, which as I have said before is a mythical obfuscation of real terms used by economists, and detracts from any actual understanding of the economic policies that are even being discussed. What is it about Reaganomics, in particular, is "trickle down"?

Furthermore, your views tend to contradict each other. You advocate for degrowth, yet you want to increase the standard of living for the poor? You can't do that, unless you have an increase of economic output. Everything I have read from you is incoherent.
@DreamWindow degrowth is simply green economy a sustainable economy with inclusive growth

you simply think literally about the word degrowth and thinks everybody should be poor when that is not the case is everybody in rich europe countries poor? no but they do better mix economy of social capitalism there and that is close to green economy with focus on green energy

and no i did not read your link file since i already know its mainstream economics stuff that is debunk by new studies like the businessinsider link i provided and even imf agrees that trickle down economics is wrong
May 12, 12:21 PM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
Reply to deg
@DreamWindow degrowth is simply green economy a sustainable economy with inclusive growth

you simply think literally about the word degrowth and thinks everybody should be poor when that is not the case is everybody in rich europe countries poor? no but they do better mix economy of social capitalism there and that is close to green economy with focus on green energy

and no i did not read your link file since i already know its mainstream economics stuff that is debunk by new studies like the businessinsider link i provided and even imf agrees that trickle down economics is wrong
@deg

Alright, then you are proving to me that you are irrational, and choose to accept sensational media claims over actual economic analysis. I have no reason to further discuss anything with you. There is simply no way to reason with someone who is blissful in their own ignorance. Have a good day.
DreamWindowMay 12, 12:24 PM

May 12, 12:26 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to DreamWindow
@deg

Alright, then you are proving to me that you are irrational, and choose to accept sensational media claims over actual economic analysis. I have no reason to further discuss anything with you. There is simply no way to reason with someone who is blissful in their own ignorance. Have a good day.
@DreamWindow lol they link economists and the imf here so they are not just clickbaits

and sure its better if you never talk to me ever again too if you think im irrational
May 12, 1:42 PM

Jul 2013
As a side note, I think that atheists are evil people. Only an evil person would deny that God exists. Look at those serial killers and pedophiles...they are usually atheists...because someone must deny God to commit such heinous crimes.
May 12, 1:53 PM

Dec 2016
Sitting here chilling and fighting the banality of chaos with the Omnissiah.

SoverignMay 12, 2:06 PM
May 12, 1:57 PM

Jul 2013
I am not an evil person..I believe in God...only a fool would not believe in God...
May 12, 4:46 PM

Mar 2008
People at an early age are taught to obey authority figures without question or resistance. So of course this primes them later in life to continue the same behaviour. Pair this with the Standford Prison Experiment and you see how people easily fall into roles from their associations they make.
May 12, 5:20 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to traed
People at an early age are taught to obey authority figures without question or resistance. So of course this primes them later in life to continue the same behaviour. Pair this with the Standford Prison Experiment and you see how people easily fall into roles from their associations they make.
@traed yeah they would be good tools for the governments lol...
May 13, 12:15 AM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
Reply to traed
@traed This is the purpose of compulsory education. To create good little obedient bees who keep their head down, work for nothing and never think outside the box.

May 13, 12:44 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to DreamWindow
@traed This is the purpose of compulsory education. To create good little obedient bees who keep their head down, work for nothing and never think outside the box.
@DreamWindow

It not being compulsory wouldn't change that, even though I do think education should focus on making students want to go rather than forcing them. Problem is parents are still a major factor where some try to isolate or otherwise keep out knowledge from their child from what they would need to be able to have their own opinions and be able to stand up against an authority figure when they are in the wrong.
May 13, 10:07 AM

Jul 2013
One does not simply trust the government lol...that is OBVIOUS lol...
May 13, 4:11 PM
ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚

Apr 2013
Reply to traed
@DreamWindow

It not being compulsory wouldn't change that, even though I do think education should focus on making students want to go rather than forcing them. Problem is parents are still a major factor where some try to isolate or otherwise keep out knowledge from their child from what they would need to be able to have their own opinions and be able to stand up against an authority figure when they are in the wrong.
@traed

Yes, it absolutely is because of compulsory education that makes the institution so hostile. There's no reason to expect that a state monopoly on education has any incentive to actually care about the children, let alone allow them to think independently of the curriculum. They get paid the same, either way. In the absence of the state's monopoly on education, there would be far less reason to believe that authority could reign over the minds of the population, since there is no centralized power controlling the curriculum. Instead of churning out obedient future tax payers, education will be prioritized, since there is always the possibility that if the service fails to deliver adequate service, the parents can go somewhere else.

And no, the parents are absolutely not at fault here. There is nothing wrong with parents trying to choose what the best kind of education is for their child. Parents have every right to opt out if they so choose, it should not be any other way. The fact that there are no alternatives right now, and that education is mandatory is utterly against the freedom of choice for both the student and the parent. If education is treated as an actual boon, and the school board no longer believe that they know better than the parents, then there is real freedom of education.
DreamWindowMay 13, 4:18 PM

May 13, 4:33 PM

Jul 2013
And we all know that the fbi are secretly running every criminal syndicate. From pornography, drugs, weapons, terrorism, etc the government agencies are behind it.
May 14, 5:13 PM

Apr 2024

DesuMaiden said:
@AdamBirch that is true...it is all just PsyOps...

๐“˜ ๐“ฌ๐“ธ๐“ท๐“ฌ๐“พ๐“ป, ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฟ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐”‚ ๐“ฏ๐“ฒ๐“ป๐“ผ๐“ฝ ๐“Ÿ๐“ผ๐”‚๐“ž๐“น.
May 23, 1:19 AM

Nov 2020
I think like a disobedient edgelord but when push comes to shove I think I’m actually pretty heavily socialized.

More topics from this board

» What does your username mean? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

56 by zzz »»
9 minutes ago

» Are video games a waste of time and money?? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - May 27

83 by WaffleMaster89 »»
43 minutes ago

» What if you saw God in heaven? ( 1 2 )

-Usagi - Feb 3, 2016

76 by WaffleMaster89 »»
54 minutes ago

» do you eat to live or live to eat?

707supremacist - May 4

29 by traed »»
2 hours ago

» it's the weekend and my brains are really fried right now

tsukareru - May 25

36 by tsukareru »»
3 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.