Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Do you think that people need to stop saying every anime with 2 male with good bonding a gay anime?

The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 5, 2021 6:17 AM
Feb 2021
There is huge stereotype in Indian and other some other Asian countries that when they see people with clean shaved look or with no facial hair they somehow thinks that they are gay even I seen it with my own I eyes like how some people address k pop artist trans or gay just because of their looks it's same goin with vanitas no carte people saying it gay just before even watching the show just because of their looks.
Ratings doesn't matter only enjoyment does.
Masterpiece or mid, generic or fresh,best or worst are all subjective
Eren is goat,and aot is still a masterpiece (eg.subjective opinion)

Dec 5, 2021 6:32 AM

Aug 2014
Yes. Like I can see saying it as a joke, some people repeat it without even watching a show or ask it’s BL without asking if the show is even good to begin with. A great example of this is Banana Fish.
Dec 5, 2021 6:55 AM

Feb 2021
That's quite a touchy subject, idk. But on the other hand, there are also circumstances when the assumption of this would be mainly derived from the fact that the authors had previously written BL stories; thus, encouraging the idea that any sort of intimacy could possibly have been implied or is shown subtle than how the actual relationship is portrayed. (Case in point: Natsume Ono and Haruko Kumota)
Dec 5, 2021 7:03 AM
May 2019
Well it's mostly because such shows often put BL fan service because of which people think the characters are gay not to mention fujoshis shipping and ruining the image of the anime so people who aren't into that stuff ask questions whether this is Yaoi, BL or not
Dec 5, 2021 7:41 AM

Jul 2015
It's totally understandable to ask wether it is gay or not, because a lot of people simply do not like watching something like that.
But when you have Twitter Moment, when people are trying to imply that those characters are gay, despite there being no evidence for it or even trying to argue with an established kanon, then it is just pure cringe.

Dec 5, 2021 8:33 AM
May 2021
Yes! It’s annoying and it takes away from the story.
Dec 5, 2021 9:32 AM
Jan 2020
I mean it's kind of baity tbh?.. Doesn't help that the character designs looks so "pretty boy".

It's like denying Hibike Euphonium wasn't blue balling us that hard.
Dec 5, 2021 5:16 PM
Nov 2020
Its a queerbaiting show with Noe desperately wanting to drink Vanitas' blood which they've made to be a very sensual and sexual thing. I wouldn't say its that far of a reach to put the two of them together, especially with the scenes they're animating.
Dec 5, 2021 6:45 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
Yes. It’s tiring and you don’t see the same with anime that are pretty much the same except it’s with girls.
Dec 5, 2021 7:37 PM
Apr 2020
I always stick with canon shipping and in stuff such as haikyuu I feel like people just ship for the sake of shipping. That being said when I look at this anime I know people are going to say noe and vanitas like each other even though I would say otherwise because noe wants to drink vanitas’s blood and they both look pretty. In my opinion most boys in anime look a bit plain and I feel like the author of the manga for this is just more creative than most when it comes to boy’s designs. Even though the show made sucking blood out to be a romantic thing I would say noe is made our to be a bit obtuse and oblivious about social stuff so I think it could just be like Noe says and he just thinks vanitas’s blood would taste good.
Dec 5, 2021 11:15 PM

Mar 2020
JayBlue said:
Yes. Like I can see saying it as a joke, some people repeat it without even watching a show or ask it’s BL without asking if the show is even good to begin with. A great example of this is Banana Fish.
About that banana fish statement, According to the author, Eiji and ash are soulmates and more then just friends...
Dec 6, 2021 4:05 AM
Jun 2021
absolutely. sometimes i'm get mad at these stupid comments like "they're very good at communicating each other, i bet they're lovers" or even a character express admiration in friendly way, fans shipping them immediately and that makes no sense when they're not even gay characters.
Dec 6, 2021 8:11 AM

Aug 2017
LeonhartAugust said:
Yes. It’s tiring and you don’t see the same with anime that are pretty much the same except it’s with girls.

Yeah, exactly. I always don't get why its only when it's male characters that some assume that it may be gay. After some thoughts, their way of thinking may be "multiple male characters -> for girls = for fujoshi -> it's gay" and that's completely wrong.
Dec 6, 2021 11:20 PM
Oct 2021
I can agree that might be a bit far to label every anime with two male leads as bl or gay but at the same time I don't see a problem with shipping two guys together or saying they look like they are together. It's simply a personal opinion and there's no harm in it, and also it makes the anime more enjoyable (this is for me personally) if there's a few characters that I can speculate are in queer relationships. I can relate with them better and makes the show seem more realistic. It's fine if you don't agree with me but I think shipping is a very individual thing and doesn't have to be universally accepted or favoured, it's just fun and part of the experience for me.
Dec 7, 2021 8:01 AM
Feb 2021
Myskae said:
LeonhartAugust said:

Yeah, exactly. I always don't get why its only when it's male characters that some assume that it may be gay. After some thoughts, their way of thinking may be "multiple male characters -> for girls = for fujoshi -> it's gay" and that's completely wrong.
it's also happens in real life bro when girls are close they called them soulmates and when boys they called them guy(mostly use slangs that where popular in their language for guy word).

Dec 7, 2021 8:03 AM
Feb 2021
JayBlue said:
banana fish where made that way because it's a shoujo anime and Shojo is a genre which target audience are teenage girls that why they kinda do that.

Dec 7, 2021 3:10 PM
May 2021
At this point its not just fujoshis, authors and producers know that they can profit off queerbaiting so they're gonna milk the hell outta it. But thats just bad overall because it blurs the lines between actual queer content and non-queer content. They also reinforce gay stereotypes that can be harmful and dont even attempt to show or promote something like queer diversity to try and maybe contribute something positive to the community they're profiting off of. Smh.
Dec 7, 2021 3:11 PM
Dec 2017
As a fudanashi myself not all guys bonding=dating.

Dec 7, 2021 8:25 PM
Oct 2019
shivamrajput958 said:
There is huge stereotype in Indian and other some other Asian countries that when they see people with clean shaved look or with no facial hair they somehow thinks that they are gay even I seen it with my own I eyes like how some people address k pop artist trans or gay just because of their looks it's same goin with vanitas no carte people saying it gay just before even watching the show just because of their looks.

WHO CARES?!

Watch it and enjoy it if you want. Don't let other people affect you
Dec 7, 2021 9:40 PM
Feb 2021
HagePotPotato said:
shivamrajput958 said:

WHO CARES?!

Watch it and enjoy it if you want. Don't let other people affect you
obviously I did it's one of my favourite anime and eagerly waiting for 2nd cour and I don't have problem even if anything is gay everyone have a right to choose who they want to love.

Dec 10, 2021 7:12 AM
Feb 2013
I think it's stupid to completely ignore an interesting-looking anime just because of its genre/tags.
Dec 12, 2021 10:00 AM

Nov 2014
Here is the thing - I ship the two guys together
BUT
I am getting really tired of the series' treatment by the audience, some think "Pretty boys = BL Bait" (Won't talk about what I am thinking about) It's not, it's not a bl bait. Yes, the characters are pretty as hell, yes, the anime screams "bisexuality", but it's by all means not a bl-bait anime just because you have this bickering between the MCs and that they are pretty.

Vanitas no Carte has a good story and it's a shame people turn a blind eye to this one.

234Mannan said:
JayBlue said:
About that banana fish statement, According to the author, Eiji and ash are soulmates and more then just friends...
I thought it was one-sided love or something? I don't deny the possibility of Eiji liking Ash back, but as far as I know, Ash has a crush on Eiji.
TheOneOfSevenDec 12, 2021 10:04 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 12, 2021 10:20 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah. The BL fanfictions and memes are pretty annoying. If they're canonically gay, I'm fine with it. But I think it's retarded that any close male friendships are viewed as gay.
Dec 12, 2021 5:36 PM

Jan 2013
It's not about being clean shaven, it's about feminine men who have this "pretty boy" look. In terms of anime, characters like that are usually meant to appeal to female audiences. You'll often see them in shoujo or yaoi shows but of course it doesn't guarantee that any individual character is gay.
Dec 16, 2021 11:08 AM
Jul 2017
Yes absolutely, it's getting really frustrating that pretty much any anime that features male characters who are actually nice looking and don't have the face of a brick automatically get the gay label slapped on them whether or not it actually does have any BL themes. This happens a lot and I've especially seen it a lot with Vanitas no Carte, it's getting really tiring. Since I'm willing to bet a pretty big chunk of MAL's userbase is homophobic straight men, it ends up getting disregarded as "fujoshi bait" without even considering the great story it has, which is a real shame. And like the double standard is super obvious because if it's the other way around with female characters being "close" in any sense everyone immediately jumps onto the yuri boat because "lesbians hot" but if there's even the slightest semblance of male characters having any kind of bonding then everyone loses their shit.
And like, I do ship Noe and Vanitas because I really like their dynamic, the show makes my multishipper soul very happy because there's a lot of potential to enjoy ships with different characters, but at the end of the day I definitely wouldn't say it's yaoi or BL. Just because an anime has nice-looking male characters that aren't the same bland copy-paste harem or isekai protag template and they have a strong bond doesn't make them gay and even if they were, so what? Is that really such a bad thing? Or is it just another case of the anime community having selective homophobia as usual?
texasfangirl1999Dec 16, 2021 11:15 AM
Dec 19, 2021 5:37 PM
Jul 2021
texasfangirl1999 said:
Yes absolutely, it's getting really frustrating that pretty much any anime that features male characters who are actually nice looking and don't have the face of a brick automatically get the gay label slapped on them whether or not it actually does have any BL themes. This happens a lot and I've especially seen it a lot with Vanitas no Carte, it's getting really tiring. Since I'm willing to bet a pretty big chunk of MAL's userbase is homophobic straight men, it ends up getting disregarded as "fujoshi bait" without even considering the great story it has, which is a real shame. And like the double standard is super obvious because if it's the other way around with female characters being "close" in any sense everyone immediately jumps onto the yuri boat because "lesbians hot" but if there's even the slightest semblance of male characters having any kind of bonding then everyone loses their shit.
And like, I do ship Noe and Vanitas because I really like their dynamic, the show makes my multishipper soul very happy because there's a lot of potential to enjoy ships with different characters, but at the end of the day I definitely wouldn't say it's yaoi or BL. Just because an anime has nice-looking male characters that aren't the same bland copy-paste harem or isekai protag template and they have a strong bond doesn't make them gay and even if they were, so what? Is that really such a bad thing? Or is it just another case of the anime community having selective homophobia as usual?

Preach! It's extremely tiring to see vanitas no carte being disregarded as fujo bait when they happily watch their yuri bait shows.
Dec 30, 2021 12:50 PM
Apr 2020
TheOneOfSeven said:
BUT
I am getting really tired of the series' treatment by the audience, some think "Pretty boys = BL Bait" (Won't talk about what I am thinking about) It's not, it's not a bl bait. Yes, the characters are pretty as hell, yes, the anime screams "bisexuality", but it's by all means not a bl-bait anime just because you have this bickering between the MCs and that they are pretty.

Vanitas no Carte has a good story and it's a shame people turn a blind eye to this one.

234Mannan said:
I thought it was one-sided love or something? I don't deny the possibility of Eiji liking Ash back, but as far as I know, Ash has a crush on Eiji.

To my knowledge Ash and Eiji's relationship never went beyond friendship (and neither ever confessed to having romantic feelings) and you don't have to be more than friends to care for one another deeply or to love each other. Even if it's two guys, shocker right? They were described as being soulmates in the sequel to Banana Fish, but it doesn't have to mean in a more than friendship type of way.
Dec 30, 2021 12:55 PM
Apr 2020
shivamrajput958 said:
JayBlue said:
banana fish where made that way because it's a shoujo anime and Shojo is a genre which target audience are teenage girls that why they kinda do that.

Banana Fish is only shoujo because it was published in a shoujo magazine back in the 80's. I read somewhere in an article that the mangaka wanted her work to be published in a shounen or seinen magazine because of its themes but it ended up in a shoujo magazine anyway because the author is female. Banana Fish deals with themes generally not found in your general shoujo anime or manga. The demographic tag of someone's work is decided by what magazine it gets published in, whether that was intentional by the author or not.
Dec 30, 2021 1:04 PM
Apr 2020
Yes, I do think people are hasty in calling something gay when it isn't or when it's ambiguous/up for interpretation. For example Banana Fish. Good story, lovely relationship between the two leads and it's not romantic, even though they are close enough to be lovers. I feel like we don't have many platonic relationships between two guys like that in anime or manga where it doesn't need to be anything more than it is. And Banana Fish still gets labelled gay by some and they dismiss it as just another BL story (which it isn't) and they're missing out on a great story.

My biggest problem though is die hard shippers. If it's for canon couples, OK sure. But some people go a little overboard shipping non-canon couples together up to the point where it gets very toxic.
Dec 31, 2021 9:54 PM

Jul 2021
I mean in the end people can either continue it or not but personally I don't find it annoying just because it's a natural response for some people who quickly grasp anything unusual about a character's appearance or are the ones that are quick to judge over such things they find it uncommon in mostly male so most masculine people out there, whether i'd be female or male, would feel unease and here comes the annoying part where they would start a war over seeing someone shipping Noe and Vanitas for instance: when they haven't watch the show and even before and after they watch the show is still considered as being toxic or coulf possibly disrespect the context of the series OR absolutely bait talking about the gay aspect in the show when there's literally nothing so gay to talk about. I felt like this is why most anime involving pretty and handsome boys who interacts with one another but mostly sometimes can be romantic or not are more suitable for female audiences so they should labelled it as shoujo to say the least (Also I'm not convincing that any masculine audiences shouldn't watch this just because it's not suitable for them but objectively speaking, they should be aware about the story by reading the manga first (since it's a lot more ahead) before watching the anime adaptation.)
CQLLISTDec 31, 2021 9:59 PM
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Dec 31, 2021 10:03 PM

Jul 2021
well indians literally think that. damn looks like i have to change my thought son your country.lol
really facial hair?
do indians think every person living in this world are indians too? they will have long beards like them?that's...
in my country, we do not really care about the fact you said. so it is weird
lol well japanese , korean people hate facial hair. body hairs are considered nasty there, and for elderly men who go to work shaving is mandatary;teenagers do not really grow facial hairs when they are in schools, but some may grow but they shave that out.(that hair can't even be called as a beard or moustache.ol. it s just some lashes coming from your chin) Main hairs start to come from 20 when they go to college(can come even later) and they shave that out(no chance with girs otherwise.lol)
well you see right in anime most teenagers do not have body hairs. it is same there.

and in case of korea, the same goes, for looking handsome(i think they have done laser treatment)
Dec 31, 2021 10:23 PM

May 2021
Okay as a fan of the show, I kinda get why people think this is gay/BL. Average male doesn't look as pretty as vanitas and doesn't act like vanitas. I can see why people think this appeals to the female audience because it feels umanly. Vanitas and Noe's relationship is "cute" unlike general male and male relationships. So you can't really blame them. Let people assume what they want, let us watch what we want.

Jan 1, 2022 5:10 AM

Nov 2014
Blue_Envy1598 said:
TheOneOfSeven said:
BUT

To my knowledge Ash and Eiji's relationship never went beyond friendship (and neither ever confessed to having romantic feelings) and you don't have to be more than friends to care for one another deeply or to love each other. Even if it's two guys, shocker right? They were described as being soulmates in the sequel to Banana Fish, but it doesn't have to mean in a more than friendship type of way.
That's understandable, but Yoshida did confirm Ash did have feelings for Eiji. I believe he never confessed because he lived a dangerous life and he couldn't drag Eiji along more than he had to from the start.

Edit: Take my words with some grain of salt. I am looking for any confirmation, but so far, as stated by Sing in the sequel of Banana Fish "Garden of Light", they were like "lovers".
TheOneOfSevenJan 1, 2022 5:22 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 1, 2022 5:47 AM
Apr 2020
TheOneOfSeven said:
Blue_Envy1598 said:

That's understandable, but Yoshida did confirm Ash did have feelings for Eiji. I believe he never confessed because he lived a dangerous life and he couldn't drag Eiji along more than he had to from the start.

Edit: Take my words with some grain of salt. I am looking for any confirmation, but so far, as stated by Sing in the sequel of Banana Fish "Garden of Light", they were like "lovers".

Either way, it still fucking hurts when I think about Banana Fish. I haven't read the manga yet and by the time I've collected all the physical copies I'll be prepared to have my heart shattered a second time.
Jan 1, 2022 7:21 AM

Nov 2014
Blue_Envy1598 said:
TheOneOfSeven said:

Either way, it still fucking hurts when I think about Banana Fish. I haven't read the manga yet and by the time I've collected all the physical copies I'll be prepared to have my heart shattered a second time.
You ain't alone on that, buddy. I went into the series, thinking it'll be a good action-crime series. I left with crippling depression and ran out of tears to shed.
Jan 1, 2022 7:22 AM

Jan 2009
thats just gender roles striking again and add culture wars too
Jan 1, 2022 4:24 PM
Jul 2016
yeah it's annoying and meaningless.
Jan 1, 2022 6:28 PM
Aug 2020
I mean this anime is kinda gay at some points. Noé is kinda gay at times, but he probably don't know what gay means tho
Jan 7, 2022 9:47 AM

Jan 2014
No, I do not think people need to stop saying it. Gay ass anime
Jan 7, 2022 3:22 PM

Jun 2009
Blue_Envy1598 said:
TheOneOfSeven said:
BUT

Soulmates means it's more than being friends....you answered your own question.
Jan 7, 2022 3:25 PM

Jun 2009
Piromysl said:
It's totally understandable to ask wether it is gay or not, because a lot of people simply do not like watching something like that.
But when you have Twitter Moment, when people are trying to imply that those characters are gay, despite there being no evidence for it or even trying to argue with an established kanon, then it is just pure cringe.

Let shippers ship dude. You know what's annoying? All the isekai animes where they give fanservice to males 24/7 whether it be male X female or female x female. THAT takes away from the story. How about we remove all of that?
Jan 8, 2022 7:23 AM
Jul 2017
RavenlySadist said:
Piromysl said:

Let shippers ship dude. You know what's annoying? All the isekai animes where they give fanservice to males 24/7 whether it be male X female or female x female. THAT takes away from the story. How about we remove all of that?

THIS right here. Guys get their fanservice literally all the time in almost every show, but god forbid the female audience get something that appeals to them for once, everyone goes full homophobic because "eww fujo bait"

Okay how about yuri bait? How about all the stupid waifu wars that weebs have every time a new pair of tits comes out in a popular anime? That nonsense happens all the time, but when people ship male characters all of a sudden it's cringy. Double standard much?

I totally feel you though, it seems like fanservice/shipping in anime is only okay if it caters to the dudes, you can see it all the time in the dozens of shitty isekai anime that come out every season, and yeah it's annoying.
Jan 8, 2022 11:18 AM

Sep 2012
Piromysl said:

totally i agree i like yuri (2 girl) and strait pairing when it comes to 2 mains (even if one is 15 and other 27, cause love sometime can happen between this age groups to that doesn't make one pedo (i draw the line with if 1side is preteen and other1 is teen or older, worse if its older, that's clear sick pedo sh), in my country a 16 year old girl and 27 guy got married, bicycle racers daughter wedding day she looked 8months Pregro, but its not a common thing but in world this stuff happens), there can be BL couple in it that doesn't bother me but full on BL no i don't care if its good, its just my preference so i get why ppl ask is it BL or is it Yuri different ppl like different stuff different genres
Sugram22Jan 18, 2022 9:09 AM
Jan 8, 2022 11:30 AM

Nov 2019
Tbh (a certain group of) educated Westerns are more showing of this "gay shit" attitude than educated Indians. In India, we do like bromance in media and real life, and don't really feel like shouting "gay" at male platonic bonding.

Indian cricket fans will love this:
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jan 8, 2022 2:57 PM

Jul 2015
RavenlySadist said:
Piromysl said:

Dunno what's the problem. Feel free to ship whoever you want, I'm not stopping you. God forbid.
What I'm saying is, that when someone thinks they know characters better than author, who made them and get to force some sort of identity or sexualitity, it is peak cringe and deserves to be called out sns mocked. And it is not limited to yaoi fandom, but yuri as well.

It is an established kanon, that two main leads in Vanitas no Karte have their own female love interests, so so any sausage party should remain in fanfiction.

Jan 9, 2022 6:42 AM

Aug 2017
Piromysl said:
RavenlySadist said:

Dunno what's the problem. Feel free to ship whoever you want, I'm not stopping you. God forbid.
What I'm saying is, that when someone thinks they know characters better than author, who made them and get to force some sort of identity or sexualitity, it is peak cringe and deserves to be called out sns mocked. And it is not limited to yaoi fandom, but yuri as well.

It is an established kanon, that two main leads in Vanitas no Karte have their own female love interests, so so any sausage party should remain in fanfiction.

In most of the case, no one said that they know the characters better than the author... They just ship characters thinking that they're nice together. But I notice that it's less a problem when it's a straight couple, even if nothing romantically canon exists in a main story (no need of evidence in this case). Obviously, you can disagree with a ship, but people forcing their ship is not restricted to shippers of gay ship...

Also, it's not because that some feelings are established canon at some point that they cannot change as the story isn't finished yet.

Jan 9, 2022 6:47 AM

Jan 2021
I dont know in which era you're living but the stereotype of having no beard = gay is definitely not practise in India anymore. Or atleast not by the majority.

As for your other statement, I agree. People should stop being skeptical about every anime with 2 male friends.
Jan 9, 2022 7:15 AM

Jul 2015
Myskae said:
Piromysl said:

In most of the case, no one said that they know the characters better than the author... They just ship characters thinking that they're nice together. But I notice that it's less a problem when it's a straight couple, even if nothing romantically canon exists in a main story (no need of evidence in this case). Obviously, you can disagree with a ship, but people forcing their ship is not restricted to shippers of gay ship...

Also, it's not because that some feelings are established canon at some point that they cannot change as the story isn't finished yet.

You should probably stay off Twitter then. People literally got doxxed for even implying that two obviously not homosexual characters might not be homosexual.

Mar 29, 2023 8:25 PM
Mar 2023
I think Vanitas didn't like Noe at first. When the author gave an interview about the relationship between Noe and Vanitas Because I see that Vanitas sees Noe and thought of Luna more He has an innocent character.

Might make him think of Luna.

More topics from this board

» Dubbed versions

Vanitas_BMkin - Jun 4

2 by Reevansingh21 »»
Jun 4, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2021

126 by nikki05 »»
Apr 15, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2021

242 by Sasutaschi »»
Apr 6, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2021

148 by wallus81 »»
Mar 24, 12:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.