Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2019 1:22 PM

Aug 2017
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
So, in this volume, "Karma", Tezuka really explored the theme of Buddhism, karmic retribution and reincarnation, I really enjoyed the story and the characters. This might be my favourite out of all Phoenix stories so far. I also heard of Tezuka's "Buddha" as one of his masterpieces, so I wonder how much of an inspiration "Karma" was for "Buddha". There's also a noticeable improvement in the art style of this volume, there're lots of large panels with very elaborate scenery, buildings, and, of course, carved statues. Characterization is also very well done, both of the main "heroes" develop in unexpected ways - a kind sculptor becomes corrupt by fame, and a vicious murderer achieves spirituality and learns the value of life through the death of his wife and the exploring of his hidden talent.
It is also noticeable that the whole story takes place in historical context as well as the previous ones, now taking place in the Nara period, during the construction of the great Buddha statue. I learned quite some things about history from this, and about buddhism, too. Didn't know self-mummification was a thing!

P.S. I was wondering what's the matter with all those random piggies Tezuka inserts occasionally. Found out that the pig is called Hyotan-Tsugi, or Gourdski, and is actually a famous recurring character in Tezuka's manga. Funny.
St0rmbladeSep 27, 2019 1:28 PM
Oct 5, 2019 12:26 PM
May 2019
Until now, Karma story is the one closest to perfection for me.
My favorite scene I think is when Gaou found out that the Buddhism that save his life was just a tool for politic purpose, he run away and shout out.
In his bubble speech there is only kanji word anger, which mean that there is no word can explain his anger
Oct 5, 2019 12:36 PM

Aug 2017
x_Articuno_x said:
Until now, Karma story is the one closest to perfection for me.
My favorite scene I think is when Gaou found out that the Buddhism that save his life was just a tool for politic purpose, he run away and shout out.
In his bubble speech there is only kanji word anger, which mean that there is no word can explain his anger

Yeah, that was kind of a social commentary about religion by Tezuka. Although he acknowledges that it can be used to manipulate people and maintain political power, he also explores the other, more spiritual and personal, side of religion. After all, it helped Gaou find peace despite all of the hardships in his life, including his own crimes against humanity.
Jan 25, 2:14 AM

Nov 2020
Amazing. But what's up with the Baya thing? Did she or did she not poison his nose? His nose was never mentioned beyond that, and he never died from a nose infection. Was she just full of shit?

And, at the end of the story, when he has his revelation, he mentioned that he now knew why Master Roben comitted Sokushinbutsu. But why, tho? Why did he do that?
My understanding was it was because Master Roben was engaged in a shameless and degenerate society of sorts, and Gao thought that it effectively blinded him to the beauty of the world. Was that it? I only think otherwise because Master Roben frequently travelled. I suppose that doesn't mean he was truly free like Gao was, though.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hi no Tori (1967) Chapter 2 Discussion

St0rmblade - Sep 22, 2019

3 by Dumb »»
May 19, 1:36 AM

Poll: » Hi no Tori (1967) Chapter 1 Discussion

St0rmblade - Sep 21, 2019

3 by Dumb »»
May 18, 3:04 AM

» Scanlations

VongolaXEspada - Jan 21, 2013

17 by Never_Know_Best »»
Feb 3, 11:50 PM

» Arcs, Chapters and Volumes

alucinotronic - Jan 14

2 by alucinotronic »»
Jan 14, 6:08 PM

» ugh, stop with the God of Manga thing.

Kristiwazhere - Aug 4, 2019

21 by Sollals »»
May 2, 2023 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.