Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 18, 2017 3:33 PM

Jun 2014
I have an interesting question for anyone who might know something about applying translation patches to physical games in an actual game console.

Yes, I'm aware that the "Retron 5" can do it, but I'm not wasting my money on that piece of unreliable garbage. What I'm suggesting likely doesn't exist yet, but would it be theoretically possible for someone, or some company to create a standalone "Translation Patching Unit" that one could plug into their official console to apply a translation patch to a game? For example, utilizing the 15 pin plug on the Famicom/Twin Famicom/AV Famicom?

Again, outside of the Retron 5, I don't think this exists, but would it be possible for a company to make a standalone unit like I suggested above?

Jan 18, 2017 3:36 PM

Jun 2011
Get an Everdrive and load a patched ROM onto it. Or just learn Japanese.
Jan 18, 2017 3:39 PM

Jun 2014
Narmy said:

Um, no. I don't use flash carts. I'm a collector, so I have to purchase and put all the individual carts into my consoles.

I've studied a bit of Japanese, but it could take a decade for me to become fluent in it. And what if those two Genki books aren't enough? It's not like there's any Japanese people in my area to communicate with.

Jan 18, 2017 3:42 PM

Jun 2011
Seiya said:
Narmy said:

Um, no. I don't use flash carts. I'm a collector, so I have to purchase and put all the individual carts into my consoles.

I've studied a bit of Japanese, but it could take a decade for me to become fluent in it. And what if those two Genki books aren't enough? It's not like there's any Japanese people in my area to communicate with.

You can still buy the game carts if you want to, but I think an Everdrive is the only way of playing patched games on an actual console. Besides getting a bootleg cart made of a patched ROM, but that's just as unofficial.
Jan 18, 2017 3:44 PM

Jun 2014
Narmy said:
Seiya said:

You can still buy the game carts if you want to, but I think an Everdrive is the only way of playing patched games on an actual console.

Right now it is, but what I was asking is if a company could whip something up to play patched games on an actual console. Does the technology exist to make it happen?

Jan 18, 2017 3:46 PM

Jun 2011
Seiya said:
Narmy said:

You can still buy the game carts if you want to, but I think an Everdrive is the only way of playing patched games on an actual console.

Right now it is, but what I was asking is if a company could whip something up to play patched games on an actual console. Does the technology exist to make it happen?

Even if it was possible, I don't think there's enough demand for someone to even try making something like that.
Jan 18, 2017 3:53 PM

Jun 2014
Narmy said:
Seiya said:

Even if it was possible, I don't think there's enough demand for someone to even try making something like that.

Perhaps someone could start a Kickstarter and find out. If the Retron 5 can patch physical games, someone should be able to make a little box that does the same thing, that can not only plug into official consoles, but be far cheaper than a Retron 5.

I want to see it happen, especially for RPGs and Adventure games. Most other games don't really require knowledge of Japanese, but RPGs and Adventure games do.

More topics from this board

» total games on your steam library ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 22

56 by tsukareru »»
3 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3564 by Nette »»
10 hours ago

» Any paradox games fans here?

D5rkUnl0ck3r - May 12

10 by Alpha-Nine »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM

» Favorite gaming cover art?

Nette - Apr 25

14 by Galletita »»
Yesterday, 7:56 AM

» What are your PC specs

ST63LTH - May 5

16 by SnipeStrike »»
Yesterday, 7:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.