Forum Settings
Forums

It is wrong to spoil the theme of a show when recommending a show?

New
May 21, 2016 8:05 PM

Oct 2014
Joke titles aside...

I had this question popping out when thinking on how to recommend FLCL to somebody who has not watched it and has no idea of what it is about. Is 6 episodes long, pretty short for standard anime series, but instead of telling them to watch it blind and have them getting the feeling is just "lol random stuff", I'd rather tell them it's simple theme so that they don't get lost on the random stuff and have an anchor to help them in the journey that is this frantic show.

So how do you feel about it. Would you spoil a thematic element of the show so that the other person can get a hang of what you enjoy about the show? Or do you prefer to not hold their hand and respect their capacity of "getting it"?
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
May 21, 2016 8:09 PM

Jun 2015
The theme isn't part of the plot. So no, it isn't a spoiler.
May 21, 2016 8:11 PM

Jan 2015
No if anything telling someone about the theme is one of the best indicators if they'll like said show.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
May 21, 2016 8:17 PM

Mar 2015
if it is what they asked, of course yes with warning first...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 21, 2016 9:36 PM
Oct 2014
I don't consider it a spoiler if you're just talking about the core idea, theme, or tone of the show. For instance, some shows that are comedy aren't obvious from the synopsis, so saying they comedies isn't a spoiler. If the show is about an alien invasion, it's not a spoiler to say it's about an alien invasion.

Likewise, if I talk about the general layout of the plot, for instance mentioning that it's episodic or that every episode ends on a cliffhanger, I don't consider it a spoiler.

Also, a claim that Show X is like Show Y is not a spoiler, because that generally means that it shares a similar core idea, themes, and tone.

Also, I pretty much assume that anything that happens in the first episode is fair game, although I won't go out of my way to give details. But if I have to mention events in the first episode in order to say what the show is about, I figure that's fine.

Of course, there are exceptions. In my "alien invasion" example above, it would be a spoiler to say it's about an alien invasion if you don't know the bad guys are aliens until halfway through. Or if a major plot twist happens at the end of the first episode, I don't think it's fair to spoil it. But for the most part, the above can be considered a good rule of thumb as to what's a spoiler and what's not.
May 22, 2016 12:59 AM

May 2015
Yes, I will. It can be hard to pick on themes sometimes. It's nice when you have a guide that gives context to all the events.

In fact, in all my reviews I spoil the theme of the show. I don't see anything wrong with that. It increases my enjoyment of the show when someone gives the themes so I can look for them more easily.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 22, 2016 1:49 AM

Sep 2015
I'd say it's perfectly fine to talk about the theme of a show. So long as it doesn't spoil any crucial plot points then there should be no issue with it. After all, without explaining the theme of an anime before recommending it, you might have a hard time convincing someone to watch it because you'll end up giving unhelpful "I liked it" answers.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 22, 2016 3:46 AM

Apr 2014
you shouldn't spoil anything when recommending a show to someone, you should spoil the shit when you force the anime on them!
May 22, 2016 5:31 AM

Apr 2010
It's more or less like saying sysnomis

May 22, 2016 5:34 AM
Aug 2015
The theme isn't part of the plot. So no
May 22, 2016 8:51 AM

Nov 2015
I don't even consider that spoiling a show.
In fact that's pretty much the first thing I read about the show before I watch it...
May 23, 2016 12:31 AM

May 2015
-Maz said:
I'd say it's perfectly fine to talk about the theme of a show. So long as it doesn't spoil any crucial plot points then there should be no issue with it. After all, without explaining the theme of an anime before recommending it, you might have a hard time convincing someone to watch it because you'll end up giving unhelpful "I liked it" answers.

I think that explaining the theme does the most to make someone want to watch the anime.

Themes are what makes our stories meaningful and important. I immediately watched Haibane Renmei when I heard it's about suicide, for example.
May 23, 2016 12:38 AM

Sep 2015
I don't think so. They won't really know what will happen by knowing only the theme
May 23, 2016 12:39 AM

Mar 2015
No, unless said show's theme changes abruptly because of a plot twist.
May 23, 2016 12:48 AM

Jul 2013
As long as you don't spoil something very big, I think it's necessary to told the main plot of the series to the person who you are recommending to make him/her interested in the show, so I don't think is wrong.
May 23, 2016 3:01 AM

Dec 2015
I don't think so. Theme doesn't spoil the anime only if you watch it before you watch the anime then it might spoil the characters who are in the anime like Danganronpa.
May 24, 2016 1:07 AM

May 2015
GriedSatzvin said:
I don't think so. They won't really know what will happen by knowing only the theme

What the story is about is more important than what actually happens.
May 25, 2016 2:35 AM

Jun 2007
What're people going to do after they get a recommendation for a particular title? Chances are, they'll look it up on some database like MAL, ANN, AniDB, or Anime-Planet to learn more about it and decide if they think it's worth watching. And on any of those sites, they'll see... the themes for that title! So there's no reason to worry about spoiling themes when people are probably going to "spoil" themselves soon enough anyway.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
May 25, 2016 3:05 AM

Feb 2015
If someone trusts your recommendation enough to watch something you're recommended to them without looking it up, then you shouldn't waste that opportunity: let them dive into it blind. FLCL has plenty of re-watch value anyway.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
May 25, 2016 2:05 PM

Mar 2016
I guess some animes dont want to make the viewer know the theme before they actually see it.
Sometimes it makes the story more interesting

May 26, 2016 12:55 AM

May 2015
Zalis said:
What're people going to do after they get a recommendation for a particular title? Chances are, they'll look it up on some database like MAL, ANN, AniDB, or Anime-Planet to learn more about it and decide if they think it's worth watching. And on any of those sites, they'll see... the themes for that title! So there's no reason to worry about spoiling themes when people are probably going to "spoil" themselves soon enough anyway.

Synopsis and title rarely tell you about the themes of the show. Can you tell, from outside, that Digimon Tamers is about suicide?
May 26, 2016 1:29 AM

Oct 2014
Not knowing what FLCL was about was one of the reasons why I dropped it (yes, it's only 6 episodes and I dropped it). Telling them the general idea behind the show won't spoil it for them and may help them enjoy it more. This isn't like the middle East where people want to know how it ends before considering watching it, but going in completely blind also doesn't tend to work out in people's favour.
May 26, 2016 1:35 AM
Jul 2018
I think it's okay as long as the theme isn't central to the show. The example that came to my mind first was Madoka Magica - telling them about the theme of the show will probably kill the shock value. I'm sure there are a few other shows where talking about the theme can ruin certain plot points, but 90% of the time it's fine!
May 31, 2016 1:22 AM
Jun 2015
Nope. Unless if it was something like the movies 500 days of summer and Anomalisa, it shouldn't spoil anything.
May 31, 2016 7:17 AM

Aug 2007
Mentioning the main theme isn't spoiler. So, what you do when someone wants a recomendation?

If you mention that a certain character do something important, THAT is spoiler. If you mention that in a certain anime a guy likes fo cook, that is a theme.
May 31, 2016 10:09 AM

May 2016
Not if it's a Gen Urobuchi show. There will be suffering, people are going to die, and as a whole, the story's going to be very bleak and nihilistic. So it's pretty hard to spoil one of his stories when you already know basically everyone's going to die.

And that's why I love him.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
May 31, 2016 10:12 AM

Nov 2013
It really depends on the show. If the theme of the show is moving on after someone dying and that doesn't happen until 3/4ths through the show, that's a massive spoiler.
May 31, 2016 12:31 PM

Dec 2012
I wouldn't tell anyone anything other than what they can find in the plot description or a trailer, personally.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

May 31, 2016 1:48 PM
Nov 2015
It's not a spoil.
In my case I can't watch an anime or recommand it if I don't know/tell the theme of the show.

It's more like a PV :)
May 31, 2016 2:08 PM
Jul 2018
The Summary is not spoiler. It is based on how much in-depth into the summary you go that determines whether or not it is considered spoiler.
May 31, 2016 2:16 PM

Dec 2015
No it is not wrong.
You need to mention it, so the other person can see if they'd like to watch it or not!

ex. If someone recommends me a 'steampunk' themed anime, I probably just won't watch it! :P
May 31, 2016 7:42 PM

Jun 2015
gime them a mal link to the shows page.
let them read thru and decide
Jun 1, 2016 12:50 AM

May 2015
Rainbowfootsteps said:
I think it's okay as long as the theme isn't central to the show. The example that came to my mind first was Madoka Magica - telling them about the theme of the show will probably kill the shock value. I'm sure there are a few other shows where talking about the theme can ruin certain plot points, but 90% of the time it's fine!

How can the theme not be central? The theme is what gives the story purpose in the place.
Jun 1, 2016 1:05 AM
Jul 2018
TheBrainintheJar said:
Rainbowfootsteps said:

How can the theme not be central? The theme is what gives the story purpose in the place.

I guess what I meant was that if a show is for example, a comedy, instead of being a dramatic, plot driven anime, then you aren't going to spoil the experience by describing the theme as the watcher is more interested in the entertainment factor than the plot.
Jun 3, 2016 6:30 AM

May 2015
Rainbowfootsteps said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I guess what I meant was that if a show is for example, a comedy, instead of being a dramatic, plot driven anime, then you aren't going to spoil the experience by describing the theme as the watcher is more interested in the entertainment factor than the plot.

'Entertainment factor' isn't an element. It's the sum of all the other elements.

Plenty of comedies can be plot-driven. They might be rare in anime, but some of the greatest comedies like Dr. Strangelove and Burn After Reading focus on story.

More topics from this board

» Would your favorite non-anime characters survive in your favorite anime?

FanofAction - Yesterday

20 by FanofAction »»
23 seconds ago

» I was on YouTube and I saw this craziest anime community post

Kiryotsu - 2 hours ago

10 by Tropisch »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Yesterday

66 by DigiCat »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Will we ever get a anime cross over as big as the MCU?

Old_School_Akira - Yesterday

36 by TheSunLife »»
20 minutes ago

» Do you generate your own Anime Wallpapers with AI?

Dragevard - Yesterday

43 by DesuMaiden »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.