Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 17, 2014 4:18 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Coulda been a pretty mango if it didn't feel so incomplete. Cuz it was as much for the rape-victim girl as it was for Hiroki and his internal struggles. Sadly, someone decided that despite it started with adult Hiroki coming back to his hometown it was OK to end within the flashback that the main story actually was. (which woulda been fine if it had actually received any completion there. #JudgingYou look from Miki and crying Hiroki didn't make for much of a an ending tho. We've known all along that he did regret it all, nothing new there.
Wasted potential is what this manga is.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Aug 23, 2014 5:34 PM

Jun 2012
Agree with you, that initial scene didn't have much sense if they weren't going to continue it, anyway it was a good read. 7/10
Jun 22, 2015 1:53 PM
Aug 2014
Yes, I think so too, this felt rather incomplete. It was as if it was going to have an ark about adult Hiroki and Seiichi showing how they coped with the rape, but then the mangaka was forced to drop it.Wasted potential is what the really interesting beginning turned into. The first ten chapters 8.2/10,the last twenty 7/10.
Jan 12, 2016 6:48 PM

Feb 2015
Appalling manga. It gave no entertainment even only for the shock value. The mangaka could be more cruel on this manga, but it turned out into a chicken than a raven. 2/10. The downhill was worse than falling from a cliff. It's painful.
JomsJun 25, 2016 6:27 AM
May 17, 2016 6:07 AM

Sep 2012
Pretty sad manga, and I agree that the ending wasn't completely satisfactory. But as far as 'Girl in Concrete' adaptations go, I was glad this one had a somewhat happy ending, while still being respectful to what actually happened, and highlighting how horrific it was (without sensationalizing it). Even though it didn't happen in the actual event, I was glad that the girl was saved in the manga. And how they focussed on the fact that the boys were given such lenient penalties, since that actually happened, and it was what angered people the most about the case.

Probably why this didn't upset me as much as 'Shin Gendai Ryoukiden' did. That was a whole new level of horrifying...
Sep 24, 2016 5:47 AM

Aug 2016
The ending was a disappointment to me. The manga started out so good and yet the ending felt so short (?), rushed and incomplete.
Nevertheless, it was a good read. ☆
Oct 29, 2016 12:13 PM
Jul 2018
The story is nowhere near the real deal. If the author was inspired by the life of Junko Furuta, he could have done better. I dare to say that such mitigation of the story is an insult to the true victim... Not to mention that the story itself was simply pathetic.
Mar 23, 2017 6:41 PM

Aug 2013
Well, I did find something didn't follow the event of the life late mrs junko furata at the those point, but I relief the author make some changes on the plot of the story for avoiding from criticism. nevertheless, I wasn't sure if the chapter is ended on chapter 35 since it has chapter 36 coming up.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever
enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker,
or smarter. Everything is within.
Everything is exists.
Seek nothing outside of yourself
" - Musashi
miyamoto
Nov 20, 2017 4:32 AM

Apr 2016
It has similarities with the late mrs junko furata issues. Fortunately it only have 35 chapter so far.

Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look
around. It's undeniable.
Noctis

May 11, 2018 4:34 PM
Oct 2017
Atleast it had a happy ending.
Apr 16, 2019 10:27 PM
Jul 2018
Welp thought the manga did ended appropriately but still wished we could see aftermath abit.

overall, oh boy this was so dark! but I was even more freaked out when I saw the actual true story behind this. That was really the dark times and think Japan has learned alot of lesson from that inhumanity incident thus how this manga created.
Also come to think of, that incident twenty years have passed and maybe those murderers already left the jail and Japan's no safe :O

Anyway about this manga, I think this sort of works as a awareness of that incident and many of the executions were questionable here since the author didn't aim to left for darker ending which seemed like heading towards initially. Also most of midst chapters were bit messy as well for me. But the overall message at the end was thought provoking and its easy to think whether it was his fault to begin with. All in all, this was good read but not something I would want to read more than once given that how dark this turned out to be.
Dec 20, 2019 10:35 AM

Nov 2016
What an abomination of a story. The most infuriating aspect were definitely the characters and it's truly upsetting that we have people like that in our society. It's not the cruelty of the perpetrators, that got me mad, but the selfishness, cowardnice and incompetence of the bystander.

At least the ending nailed it. Justice cannot be served for such a crime and things proceed as they always have. Aside from that, the story was devoid of proper substance.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 23, 2020 12:56 PM

Jan 2016
Honestly i expected more, pretty romanzed for a good ending, I was expecting it to be more gore and dark :/ I've read the story of the real case and I actually vaccilated to believe it, truly horrific...with the 'people' who did it now free...
Jul 15, 2020 3:55 AM

Dec 2011
I’m glad the victim survived. I recognize the manga makes a remark on how lenient the sentences were, but I can’t accept the way it came to that conclusion.

I was motivated for the sister to find her, as if we were living through her. It broke immersion by having her act in ways that made no sense at all. She followed a creepy guy TWICE, and goes to a random house where her sister is being held hostage, unaware if what the creepy guy said is even true, after being assaulted by the creepy guy’s other creepy guy acquaintance? To top it off, her asking very obvious questions to her immobilized sister was extremely annoying. We didn't need extra shock value. It reads as tone deaf to the true victim's memory.
Aug 18, 2020 11:51 PM

May 2016
I remember reading about Junko Furuta's case and the horribly traumatizing things the perpetrators had done to her despite their young ages and I was left absolutely mortified and disgusted. This manga was successful in making me feel the same way to an extent even if this story wasn't as brutal as the real thing, which is saying a whole lot... I can't say that I enjoyed this but it really got the point across.

Every delinquent in this manga were irredeemable scumbags save for the guy who actually helped Sachiko find her sister and got hit in the head with a baseball bat as a result. The injustice behind the outcome of this horrific event has left me angered and frustrated towards how easy it was for bastards like them to do things like that and only get a fraction of their victim's suffering as a punishment. If there are //people// who are capable of doing this to another person just because, to hell with them and their rights since they can't be considered as human no matter who they are.

Apr 1, 2021 4:26 PM

Sep 2016
I dislike Junko's sister, and I feel like she acted stupidly. However, she was acting on her emotions after all and acting purely on emotions never leads to anything good. I hope that nothing like this event ever occurs again, but the unfortunate truth is that a lot worse things are currently happening that nobody even knows about.

Life has no meaning,
but that doesn't mean
we shouldn't live it

Mar 4, 4:58 AM
Feb 2023
The manga should've showed more of what happened after they were caught. The sudden ending which didn't show us Hiroki trying to make up for his actions really annoyed me. I was honestly really looking forward to that! How was he going to respond to Miki, make up for his actions to Sachiko, or atleast give us more of his adult life since that's where the manga started.

Nevertheless the manga was quite great and had a good way of keeping the reader on edge. I give it a 7/10, I just wish it could've been atleast 50 chapters since that would've fixed the story being so rushed. All of that build up, just to rush the ending super hard? Couldn't the Mangaka have spent a month or two finishing up the story? It's sad to see so much wasted potential.

More topics from this board

Poll: » 17-sai. Chapter 1 Discussion

TuryuriOwO - Apr 1, 2021

0 by TuryuriOwO »»
Apr 1, 2021 4:23 PM

Poll: » 17-sai. Chapter 24 Discussion

ChaosLegion - Jun 17, 2014

0 by ChaosLegion »»
Jun 17, 2014 3:39 PM

Poll: » 17-sai. Chapter 33 Discussion

AzurePisces - Oct 28, 2013

0 by AzurePisces »»
Oct 28, 2013 8:57 PM

Poll: » 17-sai. Chapter 31 Discussion

AzurePisces - Oct 15, 2013

0 by AzurePisces »»
Oct 15, 2013 11:56 PM

Poll: » 17-sai. Chapter 30 Discussion

AzurePisces - Oct 9, 2013

0 by AzurePisces »»
Oct 9, 2013 8:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.