Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 29, 2023 1:47 PM

Jun 2016
Finally a fantasy with a more deep plot: time, death, the relationship with our loved ones, the regret about giving things for granted till it's too late, the research for immortality etc. I'm looking forward for the next episodes.
Sep 29, 2023 2:03 PM
Dec 2022
Nah, I'mma watch it sub. Yup.
CheliosXSep 29, 2023 2:14 PM
Sep 29, 2023 2:06 PM

Apr 2009
Oh let me cry about a friend dying and regretting not getting to know them.
Oh let me just abandon the other 2 people that are still alive 5 minutes later.

The plot doesn't exist. Things just happen.
Sep 29, 2023 2:12 PM

May 2015
Reply to VirtueHunter
Oh let me cry about a friend dying and regretting not getting to know them.
Oh let me just abandon the other 2 people that are still alive 5 minutes later.

The plot doesn't exist. Things just happen.
@VirtueHunter

Literally going out of your why to make up criticisms so you can drop it lol.

Sep 29, 2023 2:13 PM
Oct 2021
I've been waiting for this to come out. My best friend and I read the manga and I'm glad they're following it so well.
Sep 29, 2023 2:21 PM

May 2018
This kind of reminds me Kino no Tabi (2003), also in the same time Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Mushishi, but in a JRPG setting.
The music is pretty good and suitable for a fantasy (like uses some ancient musical instruments and some medieval musical themes).

Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
frieren's literally is a shounen

But isn't battle shounen.
alshuSep 29, 2023 3:52 PM
Sep 29, 2023 2:27 PM

Apr 2009
Reply to TsukuyomiREKT
@VirtueHunter

Literally going out of your why to make up criticisms so you can drop it lol.
@TsukuyomiREKT Did you miss this scene in the anime? It's what you call a plot device to try to get some tears out of watchers while putting in minimal effort.
Sep 29, 2023 2:33 PM

Apr 2009
@Tenzen12 tbh even if there's some idea the author does nothing with it. "hey I came up with an idea to make an elf watch her friends die one by one out of age, but let me make the MC not learn anything for it and just do her do random stuff. Let's add some funerals so people feel sad"
Sep 29, 2023 2:44 PM

Apr 2011
Reply to VirtueHunter
@Tenzen12 tbh even if there's some idea the author does nothing with it. "hey I came up with an idea to make an elf watch her friends die one by one out of age, but let me make the MC not learn anything for it and just do her do random stuff. Let's add some funerals so people feel sad"
@VirtueHunter

1. It's literaly WHOLE show about learning about fleetingness of human lives and how small moments matter.

2. There is nothing random about humans past 80 dying. It's not like they were hit be meteorite.

3. It's not about "People". We didn't even know Himmel and his party. It's about Freiren being sad and if audience is sad too, it's only because we can empathise with her. If you can't empathise with person left behind, not even thousand funerals will make you feel anything, which as far as I can say appear to be your case.
Sep 29, 2023 2:54 PM

Nov 2016
This toally gave me Maquia vibes. I read the first few chapters and Madhouse did it more than justice. Beautiful start.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 29, 2023 2:57 PM

Apr 2009
Reply to Tenzen12
@VirtueHunter

1. It's literaly WHOLE show about learning about fleetingness of human lives and how small moments matter.

2. There is nothing random about humans past 80 dying. It's not like they were hit be meteorite.

3. It's not about "People". We didn't even know Himmel and his party. It's about Freiren being sad and if audience is sad too, it's only because we can empathise with her. If you can't empathise with person left behind, not even thousand funerals will make you feel anything, which as far as I can say appear to be your case.
@Tenzen12 Looks like the MC didn't learn her lesson after crying she didn't spend enough time to get to know her friend, and then just ran away for the other 2 people for 10 years.
why would I care about a character I have known for 5 minutes dying? Imagine actually putting effort into the story so you actually care and know a character before they just die. That death was random and adds nothing to the story.
There's nothing to empathize with an elf that lives longer than people. Are you an elf? Did you lose many people to you being immortal/having much more of a lifespan? No, so you cannot empathize. She didn't even care, she said 1 regret and then PROCEEDS to do the same thing again to 2 people. She is an asshole and not someone to empathize with.
Yes, I feel nothing about a cheap death made just to manipulate tears.
Sep 29, 2023 3:25 PM

Apr 2011
Reply to VirtueHunter
@Tenzen12 Looks like the MC didn't learn her lesson after crying she didn't spend enough time to get to know her friend, and then just ran away for the other 2 people for 10 years.
why would I care about a character I have known for 5 minutes dying? Imagine actually putting effort into the story so you actually care and know a character before they just die. That death was random and adds nothing to the story.
There's nothing to empathize with an elf that lives longer than people. Are you an elf? Did you lose many people to you being immortal/having much more of a lifespan? No, so you cannot empathize. She didn't even care, she said 1 regret and then PROCEEDS to do the same thing again to 2 people. She is an asshole and not someone to empathize with.
Yes, I feel nothing about a cheap death made just to manipulate tears.
@VirtueHunter She came visit both of them and spent 5 years with one of them.
Sep 29, 2023 3:30 PM
Mar 2019
WOW. Madhouse has re-entered the game.
Sep 29, 2023 3:48 PM
Mar 2011
this is sooooo boring, u can use it instead of melotonin
Sep 29, 2023 4:02 PM
Jun 2023
That's exactly what I expect when on the manga. Even beyond with BGM!
Sep 29, 2023 4:07 PM

Apr 2014
this website overhypes everything very sad
Sep 29, 2023 4:12 PM
Aug 2022
Recommendations are facked up. Does this show needs the publication that bad? Why Madhouse? Why you need it?
Sep 29, 2023 4:34 PM
Jul 2014
Reply to CQLLIST
I actually like the OP song but it just doesn’t fit Frieren, even though the series itself does have some intense moments but it's also more about traveling no? I expected the vibe to be similar to Mushoku Tensei’s OPs but it is what it is.. Anyways the past arc consists of members from the Hero Party and they returned to the Royal Capital after defeating the Demon King. I guess due to the perception of time, they all definitely got that feeling when they were reminiscing about their 10-year adventure being too short, despite the fact that they already have such cherishable memories until the day it lasts.. They part ways for some self-discovery. Man they really did the animation great, though the firework would’ve been cool if it had more of a close-up. Himmel’s passing is quite an emotional one though, Frieren realizes she didn't know him well enough and decides to explore human life further as she continues her magical quest.
@CQLLIST its about reminiscing and seeking conclusion to the past while creating a new future , i feel like serra's always and forever song from Why Raeliana Ended Up at the Duke's Mansion is a better vibe fit but not the lyrics so much as theyre more romantic in nature. She did deeply love and cherish the friendship she had with him and everyone tho so its not far too off the mark.
Sep 29, 2023 4:54 PM

Jul 2017
Got to watching this late since I've been busy. Frieren's anime had potential for me but the manga has been kind of great at times and a little boring at others so my expectations weren't as high as the others. At least the start of the manga was great and this anime episode really delivered on that big time. The animation, the music and the overall production here created such magical immersiveness, the first time I felt that way since watching Mushoku Tensei's first season although the world there interested me more. It was a bittersweet episode with seeing Frieren have to go through life seeing her companions grow old in such little time from her perspective, and sort of brings the sadness to building relationships with others that get older much quicker than her since she has to seem them leave her very quickly and in her overall life, this is only a small portion if healthy compared to how the others were. I loved the glimpses of adventures that her, Himmel, Heiter and Eisen shared with each other and the chemistry was definitely there of just four companions who trusted each other with their lives and built real friendship to act the way they did with each other. Nothing about the deaths of Himmel or Frieren's confused emotions felt forced at all and the bittersweet nature felt pretty genuine here. Loved that they managed to have that reunion before Himmel passed away.

The ending for this episode was kinda weak for me, but it is definitely a more interesting take on a lot of fantasy series where its about a character living their life in the aftermath of the Demon Lord and especially one being the elf who has to see people come and go so quickly given their very long lifespans. I loved the little details of time seeing the shopkeeper Frieren was interacting with go from adult to old, and the passage of time sometimes being a bit unclear in the second half since for Frieren, it does feel normal and slow even though time is passing very quickly for the rest.

Madhouse haven't honestly been interesting for me since A Place Further than the Universe. This isn't an original unlike that, but there's potential with this to be good and even better than the manga since the production and direction was stellar as a whole. Action sequences looked great, shots and angles were really good, consistency was there too. Given the director also directed Bocchi the Rock, the results here were not surprising. Hopefully the anime can do a better job in retaining my interest than the manga did at times since admittedly, the manga is good but can get a little forgettable at times to prevent it from being great.

The ED was really good, which I haven't said about a milet one all this time so that's a nice change. The OP song just does not fit the series at all, that one is a miss for me from YOASOBI here.
Sep 29, 2023 5:01 PM

Jan 2020
Reply to Oolenka
this is sooooo boring, u can use it instead of melotonin
@Oolenka I understand you don’t like it (neither do I) but it’s ok for others to like it if they want
Sep 29, 2023 5:01 PM
Oct 2019
Four episodes Premiere!!

YOASOBI + Milet = Perfect combo.

The music by Evan Call, absolutely beautiful.

First episode already sad.
it's crazy how times flies so fast like nothing for Frieren.
Sep 29, 2023 5:08 PM

Nov 2018
Reply to VirtueHunter
VirtueHunter said:

Homeboy, did you simply fail to watch the rest of the episodes? Frieren literally spends the entirety of the next 3 episodes and about a decade of her life spending time with the people you are whining about her forgetting.
Sep 29, 2023 5:12 PM
Jan 2021
i dont know how a 24 minutes single episode made me want to cry and feel like if i knew that characters since always, it felt so nostalgic, and that music with the first partmof the episode meade me remember about that disneys princess films that id seen when a was a child.
Sep 29, 2023 5:34 PM
Mar 2011
Reply to Animillion
@Oolenka I understand you don’t like it (neither do I) but it’s ok for others to like it if they want
@Animillion such a deep thoght! just like every quote in these 4 eps))
Sep 29, 2023 5:46 PM
Feb 2014
cried 6 times on episode 1 alone :')
Sep 29, 2023 5:47 PM

Apr 2009
Reply to MeltingSky
VirtueHunter said:

Homeboy, did you simply fail to watch the rest of the episodes? Frieren literally spends the entirety of the next 3 episodes and about a decade of her life spending time with the people you are whining about her forgetting.
@MeltingSky This is episode 1 discussion.
Sep 29, 2023 5:54 PM
May 2017
Beautiful. Great! Some passages remember me The Lord of the Rings. Frieren is exactly who I expected her to be -- a cuter version of Galadriel.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Sep 29, 2023 6:19 PM
Dec 2022
Okay. This was even better than I thought. Just watched the first 4 episodes and bro, was this peak asf! Beautiful landscape, incredible world building and character development, nice OP and ED, sweet plot and storyline and spectacular art and animation. For a fantasy anime, it has everything I was looking for. Frieren is a really funny elf. Haha, I love her still. She might look like some cold hearted person but she truly is a sweet, kind and lovely girl. Fern, Himmel, Eisen and Heiter know that. Hell, Flamme probably thought so too. I love the scenery of the anime. it's breathtaking. It's quite clear what it got from me...a perfect 10/10.💯
Sep 29, 2023 6:21 PM
Oct 2021
i started crying at 14min 🤠
Sep 29, 2023 6:36 PM
Apr 2023
It's been a while since a piece of media made me cry. Remarkably impacting for a first episode.
Sep 29, 2023 6:38 PM
Nov 2020
visually exceptional
Sep 29, 2023 6:41 PM

Dec 2019
holy cow, this is the best, masterpiece, deserve highest score
Sep 29, 2023 7:54 PM

Apr 2015
Ok, this anime got my attention. I also not expected to cry in the first episode, this shit hits hard.

Also the OST, they really went all in.

We have something special here.
Sep 29, 2023 8:06 PM
Oct 2019
Only a handful of anime manage to make me cry on the first episode, and Frieren managed to do it, it was a rollercoaster of feels on the first episode alone!
Sep 29, 2023 8:17 PM

Sep 2015
As expected episode 1 was perfect.
Sep 29, 2023 8:25 PM
Nov 2016
It's an okay-ish 1st episode, I wasn't impressed by it nor I felt bad for the characters dying, I barely knew him anyway, and how the hell did the Hero (who looked pretty damn young) turn into a decrepit little old man in just 50 years? he was probably in his 70's or maybe 80's but he looked like he was 100 years old, that guy didn't age well, the priest aged way better than him.

I will watch the 2nd episode in a few minutes, I hope this doesn't turn out to be an overrated anime.
Sep 29, 2023 8:38 PM
Sep 2023
OP song is shockingly bad. Almost made me close the window.
Sep 29, 2023 9:00 PM

May 2015
Living for millenniums really goes from a blessing when your young to a curse when everyone else isn't. I'm excited to see where Frieren goes!
Sep 29, 2023 9:00 PM
Feb 2019
This anime is too good. OP song by YOASOBI and ED song by milet, like what?? These 2 famous japanese singer literally on this anime and ofc I love both of the song! Furthermore, the art style of this anime is almost exactly same to "Mushoku Tensei" Lovely! The storyline is 10/10, very hyped no reason 😂👍
Sep 29, 2023 9:38 PM
Oct 2018
Love the manga. I know I will love the anime.
Sep 29, 2023 9:43 PM

May 2019
Pretty good start, production values and animation are top notch. I was a little surprised when Frieren cried after Himmel was buried since she was so stoic inside the church and I got watery eyes for a minute.

It looks like Frieren will end up training Fern based on the ending and I wonder how much time Heiter has left....
Sep 29, 2023 9:43 PM
Dec 2017
looking forward to an amazing adaptation!
Sep 29, 2023 9:57 PM
Aug 2016
My favorite manga ever got an anime adaptation that was really faithful!
Sep 29, 2023 10:17 PM
Jan 2022
Madhouse + Yaosobi
let's go🥳🥳
Sep 29, 2023 10:21 PM

Jun 2023
Hard to believe Frieren is voiced by the same person as Anya
Sep 29, 2023 10:31 PM

Sep 2016
I'm very sick and tired of yoasobi
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Sep 29, 2023 10:33 PM
Sep 2016
WTF! Evan Call strikes again, as hard as always.... The music during the meteor shower scene, it just felt so him.... There's also the ED, when I listened to it, huh, this sounds familiar.... Ofc it was arranged by Evan Call as well.... God dammit, Man! Evan Call with fantasy theme is just the best.
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Sep 29, 2023 10:52 PM

Mar 2021
what the hell??? they made me cry on the 1st ep?? :o thats a 1st for me. Great art from mad house ;) Well it was a very good start. lets see ep 2 then muahhahhaaha
=)
Sep 29, 2023 10:58 PM
Nov 2016
@eli_shmeli Yeah, fair enough, I'm watching the 3rd episode now and I'm enjoying it somewhat so this anime isn't bad by any means, I just don't agree with the rating but it isn't bad.

Anyway, the anime I'm more excited about is Ragna Crimson which will air in 1 more day, I love the manga, and I hope SILVER LINK gives that anime adaptation the justice it deserves.
Sep 29, 2023 11:05 PM
Nov 2016
@eli_shmeli Preach brother, I hope the gods grace the Ragna Crimson fans too with a good anime adaptation.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» When will S2 happen ;__;

FrierenSimpKing - May 29

35 by Scyon »»
10 hours ago

» Is Himmel a Manic Pixie Dream Boy?

Moonshine_cookie - Yesterday

15 by Mdraj6996 »»
Today, 9:45 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2023

333 by haminshamin »»
Yesterday, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 2

273 by Arxanum »»
Yesterday, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2023

232 by Vindicater »»
May 31, 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.