Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 22, 2023 6:29 AM

Nov 2011
It's interesting how many people Frieren has met in her past and resurfaces again in their present adventure. It just so happens she encounters a dwarf from her past.

Plus, I like the overall tone of the storytelling this episode and elements that inspires to being an adventurer.

May 2020
Could be surprising, but yeah Frieren too has people who come under that “bracket” of friends. Needless to say, they’d not be humans or any simple creatures, and yes, in this case, it was a dwarf, Voll. He might look really old, and if I must, senile too at a glance, and in fact he is, but hey he’s a hero figure in his village.

It was just a week, but at least we saw Frieren reminiscing about the old days with someone. I mean they made a promise way back in her hero party days, so of course she has a duty to meet grandfather Voll too. Also hey, time really hasn’t moved for Voll huh, from the time he lost his loved one. He still thinks the demon king is yet to be conquered, but okay Frieren realised that and let him be.

Another goodbye, and we’re back with Sein for once trying to find leads about his friend. I mean that’s the purpose of his journey, so yeah lol. Also, for anyone wondering, we finally got his name… Gorilla. Very strange name.. to say the least lol, but the reason he went for something like that was to be unique, so it’s fair to say he achieved that, at least lol.

“I’m stubborn, so I won’t tell”, this had me dying lol, but okay that granny might have made these people do a lot of labour, but she did tell Sein that one thing he wanted to know. The "could-be" whereabouts of Gorilla.

Sein's unsure, but we will know next episode I guess. Also, I hope they do change opening for the second cour, which they'd do I guess, judging from the PV we got.

Dec 2021
I'd love to have a bunch of photos showcasing Himmel's handsome poses, if possible.

Frieren's party, who once embarked on adventures with the dwarf warrior Voll during Frieren's time with the Himmel, paid a visit. Voll had long protected a village from monsters. As Frieren engaged in conversation, memories of Himmel's past words resurfaced. Later, upon visiting a settlement, they discovered the traces of a dear friend whom Sein had once promised to become an adventurer with.

Voll's wife might be gone, but her impact lingers on. Her face, voice, and even her name have faded from memory, yet Voll's unwavering protection of the village keeps her spirit alive. In safeguarding her dream of peace, Voll immortalizes her, and even in his fading recollections, she returns in his dreams before the end. Unexpectedly, Kraft's past resurfaced (in a way) in the story, and I'm cool with that. Turns out, Sein and his buddy (goes by Warrior Gorilla, a pretty smart move to stay memorable) found inspiration in a statue of Kraft and his companion. OP and ED change next episode. Gonna miss the OP and ED, especially the ED.

There will be a break next week, and Cour 2, along with Episode 17, is scheduled to air on January 5th.
https://twitter.com/Anime_Frieren/status/1738204300185399599

Dec 22, 2023 7:22 AM
Aug 2020
another beautiful episode

animation/ ost/ story/ OP/ ED

it was interesting to see how the things goes before the new arc

the exam...

otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Dec 22, 2023 7:31 AM

Apr 2010
Some Stark abuse is always nice.
Anyway a lot about the past ones again but this time not just the past for Frieren but for Sein as well.
We got a few hints for his friend so hopefully the group will be able to find out what happened to him.
I also enjoyed the part with the dwarf hearing to long lived individuals talk to each other is interesting.
Dec 22, 2023 7:32 AM
Jul 2022
Does stark dosen't have much role in cour 2 ?
Dec 22, 2023 7:33 AM

Jul 2011
Voll was already old 80 years ago.

Frieren says that the Demon King is dead, but looks like is those cases where need the legendary sword to really kill it.

This episode proved Kraft point, people forgot about him already, so he need to really on the goddess to at least remember his heroics.
Dec 22, 2023 7:34 AM
Sep 2021
Solid as always.

Goodbye cour 1, welcome cour 2!
Dec 22, 2023 7:36 AM

Dec 2022
we got a cliffhanger we dont know what will sein do or what will they all do anyway old man goll kinda sounded like an veteran warrior who lost the war and now is ling in the outskirts and gorilla warrior is such impactful name i cant forget it either
Dec 22, 2023 7:42 AM
Jul 2023
A promise stood the time test and worthwhile side-quest.

2nd cour gonna be fun.
Dec 22, 2023 7:52 AM

Feb 2021
Every translation is by Google, I don't know German.

So here is the end of cour 1 of this anime. I will miss this opening.
Oh, so that's the warrior sitting with a sword at 2:32 in the OP (right after Stark's brother). And I guess the adventurer looking at the statues is Sein's friend (right before Fern).

Klar is "clear" or "plain"
Voll means "whole" or "complete". He just appeared, but he makes me so emotional already. Him being so happy to talk to Frieren is so precious.
She remembered the poses! Ahh my heart can't take it
Why didn't Frieren tell Voll about the Demon Lord? Please explain, maybe I'm too immature to understand it.
Rohr is "pipe"? Makes sense for a road I guess.
Oh god, a quest chain lmao
Tür is "door"
So we're separating from Sein at last, huh... Really hope he can find his friend. Maybe we'll never know if he did or not, would be fitting for this series.
This episode flew by in an instant.

Also gotta give some respect to Evan Call, the composer of the beautiful and very fitting soundtrack.
EmbientDec 22, 2023 8:11 AM
Dec 22, 2023 7:59 AM
Nov 2023
I just love the talk between Grandpa Voll and Frieren it just meaningful for me
Dec 22, 2023 8:26 AM

Jul 2016
The sounds the carrots make when they're magically pulled off the soil is way too satisfying to listen to, and I love how mages double as the photographers of their world.

Gorilla warrior may or may not become a Himmel-tier hero, but dude's a marketing genius for his "brand" name alone. Lowkey hoping Frieren decides to join Sein on his sidequest first lol
Dec 22, 2023 8:26 AM
Oct 2017
Reply to Embient

Oh, so that's the warrior sitting with a sword at 2:32 in the OP (right after Stark's brother). And I guess the adventurer looking at the statues is Sein's friend (right before Fern).

Voll means "whole" or "complete". He just appeared, but he makes me so emotional already. Him being so happy to talk to Frieren is so precious.
Why didn't Frieren tell Voll about the Demon Lord? Please explain, maybe I'm too immature to understand it.
Tür is "door"
So we're separating from Sein at last, huh... Really hope he can find his friend. Maybe we'll never know if he did or not, would be fitting for this series.

Also gotta give some respect to Evan Call, the composer of the beautiful and very fitting soundtrack.
@Embient frieren not telling about the demon king is just being nice, to not make him confused or shock and also to make him not lose a reason to protect the village.
Dec 22, 2023 8:39 AM
Mar 2015
Frieren is remembering the Heroes as she promised Himmel Now she is remembering Voll as he carries out his promise to his wife to protect the village
It was nice to hear about the Gorilla Warrior from the old lady who tricked them into doing chores Will he go to Rohr where his friend was last seen or to the magic city
landofthekwtDec 22, 2023 8:44 AM
Dec 22, 2023 8:39 AM

Jan 2009
memories are not forever too anyone can be forgotten eh

elves meanwhile can carry memories for a long long time maybe forever
Dec 22, 2023 8:40 AM
Sep 2021
Nice to see sein get more focus & excited about the next arc in frieren pumped up for it. See you all in Jan 5th
Dec 22, 2023 8:46 AM

Mar 2021
Beautiful episode
I really enjoyed Frieren and Old man Voll just chatting and reminiscing about times past
Dec 22, 2023 8:47 AM

Mar 2023
Some nice banter and reunion with one her oldest still alive friends. Reminiscing about both Frieren’s past, but also Seinen’s.
For Seinen this was why he started the journey and he's getting closer to his goal as well

Being forgotten is pretty much an inevitability, you can prologue, but it's very hard to stop it. In a way just having that statue at the end, even though they don't know his name, means he wasn't completely forgotten.
watsymDec 22, 2023 6:06 PM
Dec 22, 2023 8:47 AM

Jul 2012
Now I kind of wish Kraft would've shared who he was and what great feats he accomplished to be remembered as a hero. I hope we get to find out in the future.

I'm going to assume Sein's friend has passed already though. It'd be in line with the story's themes of death and memories.
Dec 22, 2023 8:48 AM

Jul 2017
A simple but satisfying episode to wrap up Frieren for 2023, as the next episode will take place in the new year. It wasn't the most noteworthy or action-packed episode but even in its simple episodes can be engrossing to watch for the most part. Loved seeing Frieren open up more with Voll in the first part, and be able to communicate with someone as freely as she did and reflect on her and his pasts. The second part with learning more about Sein and his relationship with his friend he is looking for, aka the Gorilla Warrior, was also nice too. Lots of errands had to be done which can seem boring on paper but the anime montage presents it in a quick and fairly entertaining enough fashion to make it work. Cliffhanger at the end with what Sein will be doing as the direction his friend seems to be is the opposite of where the rest of the party is heading, not the most dramatic but one that does work since he has been acclimating himself well to the group during his very brief time travelling with them.

Overall, it was pretty good as a whole. I wouldn't say this was the best the series had to offer nor did it have standout moments that would be super memorable like the dance from last week with Stark and Fern. But because it is just a really well written and presented series, even the episodes that are more regular can still be enjoyable to watch while flying by. Mushoku Tensei is my favorite anime but looking at what portion that had adapted and knowing there is much more exciting and memorable stuff to come and with just how great and flawless this adaptation has been for Frieren, will have to say this is my Anime of the Year for 2023 by a slight margin. Looking forward to see what the remaining 12 episodes will deliver in 2024.
Dec 22, 2023 9:02 AM
Jun 2022
Reply to DeathToTastyDawn
Does stark dosen't have much role in cour 2 ?
@DeathToTastyDawn yep, we won't be seeing him much
Dec 22, 2023 9:10 AM
May 2012
Nice episode. Its funny how people take certain roles in relationships with Frieren becoming quite a different person when talking to Voll.

The stubbon grandma seems to have taken a good lession from Gorilla on how to make sure to be remembered.

I loved Fern's insight, that their party just consists of socially poorly skilled people. And it look like the only one relatively social is going to jump ship next episode ...

Let's see how it continues next year.
Dec 22, 2023 9:28 AM

Jan 2018
Wow. They even have photographs in this world. Pretty wild but of course they do.

It's so sad that Voll couldn't remember the voice and face of his wife. That's so tragic, man. I'm glad that at least he could dream of her one last time.

Seems like Sein might part with the group next episode. I knew he was a temporary party member but it still feels a bit bad. Hope he gets reunited with his friend Gorilla Warrior.

No new episode next week. Kinda expected this. But can't wait.
Dec 22, 2023 9:30 AM
May 2021
The series is amazing & the quality So far has been top notch!!
Dec 22, 2023 9:47 AM

Oct 2020
Frieren is making up with the mistakes she maked with Himmel the Hero to visit old friends before she dies.
Dec 22, 2023 10:04 AM

Feb 2019
Beautiful episode as usual.

Honestly broke my heart seeing Voll not remember his wife’s face but still honouring his promise to protect the village. I really like that Frieren didn’t burst his bubble about the demon king being dead. His promise to protect the village is probably what’s been keeping him alive, no need to take that away from him. As usual, some nice parallels to Himmel and Frieren’s relationship. It was really cute how defensive Frieren got when asked if she remembered Himmel’s face and voice. As if she’d forget her first love lol.

It is an interesting thing to think about, tho. With over a thousand years of a lifespan, I wonder if she’ll always remember specific details.

Keeping with the theme of long lived friendship, we head over to a village to search for Sein’s old friend, the gorilla warrior. In typical JRPG fashion they’ve got to do a bunch of remedial tasks to get the older lady to tell them where he is. “But our party only has socially awkward people” 🤣a smooth talking extrovert would’ve got them that info so quickly, oh well. In the end Sein did get his friend’s location.. I wonder if this is where he’ll split from the party and go his own thing or if they’ll take a detour

Looking forward to the second cour
Marinate1016Dec 22, 2023 10:20 AM
Dec 22, 2023 10:25 AM
Jan 2018
Again, it is a world where everyone but Stark is chilling and having a good time
Dec 22, 2023 10:39 AM

Mar 2019
New spell unlocked: Photography haha. 📸

Dec 22, 2023 10:54 AM

May 2019
This was a nice somewhat chill way to end this cour but I'm wondering if Sein will leave the group or if Frieren and her group will join him. Regardless of what happens I'm looking forward to the 2nd half of this in the new year.

Side note, I'm intrigued to know what Kraft did before, I wouldn't mind a side story with his adventures.
Dec 22, 2023 10:54 AM

Feb 2020
Even as they fade, keeping his beloved memories protected and on the front of his mind and life it's a beautiful thing
cried quite a bit this episode, felt real good. hopefully gorilla can be reunited with his friendo and hmm there's more to know about this dio elf monk too
pretty interesting

Dec 22, 2023 11:05 AM

Jun 2014
Even Frieren still has some old friends lingering out in the world. It was nice to see her be all carefree as she caught up with Voll. Poor Stark was really being put to the test lol. Things got pretty emotional as Voll talked about his wife, and damn he doesn't remember her face, voice, or eyes. But still, he protects the village for noble reasons.

We got some Sein backstory with his old friend "Gorilla Warrior," and in the process learned that Kraft from earlier in the series was a hero. It'll be interesting to see if Sein makes the decision to reunite with his old friend or continue on this journey with Frieren.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 22, 2023 11:12 AM
Aug 2017
I swear, this anime does more character development and lore than some anime spread across entire season or two in some cases. What an amazing show!
Dec 22, 2023 11:19 AM

Jul 2017
The Klar region to visit Frieren's old friend of elf Old Man Voll and strike a conversation before his natural departure, and Stark sure got the surprise attack that if Voll sheathed his balde, he would have lost one leg. With the week that they have in this small village, Voll has been there for eons as a protective deity, as Stark gets his training along the way. To Voll, the village is a way that he atoned his promise for falling in love with his human wife, who has been long since dead, and how Frieren got to know Himmel and her party, as the messenger holding and carrying on their memories for time millennia. As opposed to Voll who can't remember what his late wife looked like, he may be still stuck in his old pre-Demon King perception, but to Frieren, she knows the truth, and still keeps it a secret whilst carrying his emotions together with her, the subtlety of sensitivity.

Onto Rohr Road, and Sein leads this leg of the journey to reunite with his best friend of 10 years before being separated: Gorilla Warrior...not the real name. The group almost on their way reaching AuBerst, and finds a lead on his best friend...though this "stubborn old woman" would not tell them unless they run errands for her, for as many menial tasks that she'll order them to do. The last task however, to polish the heroes' statue, it's the statue of both a priest and warrior, the warrior matching Kraft, though it looks like both the Goatee Warrior and Gorilla Warrior. Finally, Sein gets Kraft's location: Tur, just in the middle of the Northern Lands...and the opposite direction of AuBerst.

What's Sein gonna do about his decision, the direction to go?

The 1st Cour finishes here, see you next year for the 2nd Cour continuation.
Dec 22, 2023 11:32 AM
Apr 2023
the best anime season 2023
Dec 22, 2023 11:33 AM
Apr 2023
the best anime season 2023
Dec 22, 2023 12:49 PM
Aug 2022
Very good, got more insigth to Sein's backstory
Dec 22, 2023 12:53 PM
Dec 2013
I had to make this for my boi Stark
Dec 22, 2023 1:12 PM
Apr 2021
We get some hints on that relationship everyone's rooting for, nice to know that dwarves also live long around 300 and also great little tidbits about the elf we knew a few episodes back.

So we got great exposition about the world while keeping that lighthearted air
Dec 22, 2023 2:14 PM

Jan 2021
Surprised a concept like this didn't come sooner. Frieren dealing with someone who's old but doesn't seem to remember very well. Makes you think if Frieren will eventually become like that. It will definitely take awhile with how young she is but that's a very sad thought.

It was nice to see Frieren chat it up with the old dwarf. They seem to be enjoying each other's company so much because of how old they are. Very sweet that the old dwarf was protecting the village for the woman he loved. He is a true hero.

We also got a good Sein episode too. We actually learn more about the Gorrilla Warrior (his best friend) and his nickname the Goatee Priest. We also got some lore drop with Kraft being an ancient hero. Wonder when Sein's going to make his decision in leaving the party?

Good episode as always.
Dec 22, 2023 2:29 PM
Dec 2022
This episode is really good and funny, the song is relaxing nice to listen to, I'm watching the smile is really cool that's all.
Dec 22, 2023 2:30 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Another beautiful ep. Got me a bit emotional
Dec 22, 2023 2:37 PM
May 2021
Embient said:

Tür is "door"

Regarding not telling Voll: People who are losing their memory are regularly reminded of this. It just depressing. Sometimes it's nicer to just smile and carry on. People just want to be listened to anyway.
Dec 22, 2023 2:57 PM
Mar 2023
The hearthwarming feeling you get in each episode makes it a perfect series to watch!
Dec 22, 2023 3:09 PM
Oct 2019
Today's episode was incredible, I like calm episodes developing the characters, and then being able to deliver more drama, a very good episode!
Dec 22, 2023 3:15 PM

Nov 2013
Came across a pretty interesting theory about Kraft. When we see Kraft's statue, he has a sword that resembles the hero-sword Himmel couldn't pull out of the stone (apparently he's been using a sword in ancient times when he was a hero). Theory says that Himmel couldn't pull the original hero-sword from the stone not because he wasn't worthy, but because the previous owner is still alive and thus the sword can't be claimed by another hero.

I'd love if that's true.
Dec 22, 2023 3:21 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to Red
Now I kind of wish Kraft would've shared who he was and what great feats he accomplished to be remembered as a hero. I hope we get to find out in the future.

I'm going to assume Sein's friend has passed already though. It'd be in line with the story's themes of death and memories.
Red said:
I on the other hand think he stopped being an adventurer, settled down and has wife and kids. That can also explain why he never returned home. IMO that would be better than "yet another sad death" :D
Dec 22, 2023 3:22 PM
Mar 2019
This is very human in spite of it coming from Frieren: looking for home in old friends. Sometimes these sort of encounters keep us moving forward. Not that Frieren really needs it, BUT she searches for it anyway. More and more in her attempts to study humans she is becoming MORE human. Great episode.
Dec 22, 2023 3:42 PM
Apr 2020
Solid episode. Goatee Priest might be what I remember him by now lol. He's finally found out where his best friend headed towards but its looking like he'll have to depart from Frieren's party unfortunately. Even if he does leave I do believe we will see him again sometime soon. Also looks like we're getting a new opening in the next episode as we start the next cour. Madhouse are doing a mad job with this adaptation. I'm sorry.
Dec 22, 2023 3:51 PM

Mar 2020
A bit of Sein's past told, and it might be time to say farewell to him...

Well, that is all for Frieren for the year of 2023, and it was a more chill way to end off the first cour. I like how the characters we've met along the way, like Kraft, get mentioned again in this episode, as it shows that some of the earlier episodes weren't just one-offs. Meeting Voll was pretty cool, we got to learn about dwarves, and more of Sein's past as well, as well as how his friend, "Gorilla Warrior" was doing.

As for this series so far, it has been one of my favourites of 2023 so far, a contender for anime of the year, though I do think with it not being finished yet, I wouldn't have it as my number one favourite just yet, but it certainly was close. The slow pace, stellar animation, and interesting fantasy elements along with the solid characters has made for a wonderful showing so far. With the magic exam arc starting in a couple weeks, I think we'll be in for more of a treat going forward perhaps. See you next year for more Frieren!
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» When will S2 happen ;__;

FrierenSimpKing - May 29

35 by Scyon »»
Yesterday, 12:10 PM

» Is Himmel a Manic Pixie Dream Boy?

Moonshine_cookie - Jun 1

15 by Mdraj6996 »»
Yesterday, 9:45 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2023

333 by haminshamin »»
Jun 1, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 2

273 by Arxanum »»
Jun 1, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2023

232 by Vindicater »»
May 31, 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.