Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 9, 2023 8:22 AM

May 2020
About time we start seeing something about Ah Duo, the only of the four consorts or the main four concubines we know very little about, and just like Rifa, she’s a victim of the same scenario of losing her child as an infant. Though those things would be explored in detail at a later stage, we did start with a kind of tea party between Gyokuyou and Lishu, where it was quite obvious that the latter's food taster still has qualms about Maomao lmao.

Must be because of that threatening experience of garden party lol, but we move, as like we know the culprit in the garden party poison mystery was from Garnet palace, it didn’t take that long for Jinshi to play his part and send Maomao straight to Ah duo’s place… in the name of special cleaning. But we know, how things quite develop in this series, it’ll be these small things which would eventually lead us to the bigger picture.

Honey from Fengming’s place may have raised a few doubts in Maomao’s mind but I mean it was Jinshi’s ever “familiar actions” which quite literally hammered the idea, or more it just happened to Maomao of what could be the actual deal behind everything. Lishu getting the short end of the stick again or more like she’s just easy to get manipulated, that's why not only her ladies in waiting, but it was easy enough to guess they'd eventually get an inkling to Fengming after inquring her.

Nothing much of a surprise, when we do get to know Maomao's father was indeed employed in the inner palace back then. That one scene from couple episodes back make perfect sense now. Might be two more episodes, and we'll be over with volume one.
Softhenic03Dec 9, 2023 8:27 AM
Dec 9, 2023 8:23 AM

Dec 2021
Lmao. Maomao's comment about Jinshi having nothing to kick.

Rumors spread within the palace that the culprit who poisoned Lishu at the garden party was a court lady who had committed suicide by drowning in the outer court moat. However, Jinshi, having doubts about why a mere maidservant would assassinate Lishu, instructs Maomao to investigate the Garnet Palace, where the deceased court lady served. Guided by the head Lady-in-Waiting, Fengming, Maomao assists in the general cleaning. Soon, glimpses of Lishu observing the Garnet Palace reveal themselves, leading to a significant breakthrough in unraveling a profound mystery.

Allergies can really be a pain, and let me tell you, dealing with Lishu's attendants is no walk in the park either. You can easily see the connection with honey, and I still remember the scare with infant botulism when she came home. She shared with her father about being taken to the palace, and in that scene, he quietly said to himself, "This must be fate." It got me thinking right away that he probably has some past ties with the palace.

So her dad worked as a doctor in the palace. I knew he had some connection to the palace.
IzanaSolosDec 9, 2023 12:09 PM

Dec 9, 2023 10:02 AM
Sep 2015
That's a lot of honey dripping from Jinshi's fingertip.
Dec 9, 2023 11:08 AM
May 2021
Was soo hooked this ep, ep finished in a flash. <3 maomao.
Dec 9, 2023 11:16 AM

Apr 2010
Lishu seems to have a lot of things where she has bad reactions to still she needs to learn to speak up and protect herself.
Moamoa is on to something related to honey hopefully she will manage to solve the case this time.
Jinshi trying to bully Moamoa was funny.
Dec 9, 2023 11:29 AM

Mar 2021
Another fantastic episode, I thought something seemed off with Maomao's dad and that he was hiding something and now we discovered he used to work in the Palace himself it's going to be interesting to find out more about his time in the Palace
Dec 9, 2023 11:44 AM

Jul 2017
This was really good, a huge step up from the previous episode that I was somewhat indifferent to. Felt more focused, interesting with the scenario at hand and answered a cliffhanger from a few weeks ago that teased something which was up with Maomao's father too given his employment back at the inner palace in the past. Not a huge surprise but makes sense. Just in general, a return back to form and it was a promising watch that only leaves me anticipating for next week's episode. Want to see more of Ah-Duo too.
Dec 9, 2023 11:44 AM
Oct 2016
Maomao adoptive father being the former rear palace doctor. Highly trained and regarded enough to deliver children of the crown Prince back in the day. Its been suspected for a while that Maomao was from the rear Palace or something like her father took her from there. So this does lend credence to that idea and maybe Maomao can start to piece that together herself. For now she had the politics of the rear palace and the concubine to deal with. Lishu again making an appearance coming to habe tea with Gyoukyou. Her allergies or aversion to certain foods keep adding up, first it was fish now honey. This girl can't eat most of the food in the rear palace it seems like every time she's shown there's something she can't eat. Its not helping that her ladies in waiting are constantly manipulating her into thinking they're her only friends. Isolating poor Lishu and making her scared to interact with anyone else and ask for help. Jinshi sending Maomao off to help another of the concubine, the eldest of the four who's even older than the emperor. Previously giving birth to his son when he was just a prince, whom then died very soon after sadly. The ever shifting landscape of the rear palace is difficult for Maomao to navigate, if an opening amount the concubine is happening whom will be left out in the cold.
Dec 9, 2023 11:45 AM
Oct 2016
Reply to IzanaSolos
Lmao. Maomao's comment about Jinshi having nothing to kick.

Rumors spread within the palace that the culprit who poisoned Lishu at the garden party was a court lady who had committed suicide by drowning in the outer court moat. However, Jinshi, having doubts about why a mere maidservant would assassinate Lishu, instructs Maomao to investigate the Garnet Palace, where the deceased court lady served. Guided by the head Lady-in-Waiting, Fengming, Maomao assists in the general cleaning. Soon, glimpses of Lishu observing the Garnet Palace reveal themselves, leading to a significant breakthrough in unraveling a profound mystery.

Allergies can really be a pain, and let me tell you, dealing with Lishu's attendants is no walk in the park either. You can easily see the connection with honey, and I still remember the scare with infant botulism when she came home. She shared with her father about being taken to the palace, and in that scene, he quietly said to himself, "This must be fate." It got me thinking right away that he probably has some past ties with the palace.

So her dad worked as a doctor in the palace. I knew he had some connection to the palace.
@IzanaSolos That last sentence has no basis for what happened in the episode
Dec 9, 2023 12:03 PM

Jan 2019
So her adoptive dad is a eunuch doctor who used to deliver babies for the current emperor? I'm guessing it'll be revealed that Maomao is actually a royal bastard.

Dec 9, 2023 12:08 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to Dukino
@Dukino Sorry about that. I got a bit lost at the end, so I had to rewatch to figure out what happened.

Dec 9, 2023 12:12 PM

Jan 2020
The episode had some comedy on it, it was somewhat focused on character development, but the end was unexpected, VERY unexpected!
Dec 9, 2023 12:21 PM

Jul 2011
Lishu is unlucky for having a lot of food allergies, and lucky for being wealthy.

Good, Maomao learned how to pull rank, to deal with the ladies-in-waiting.
Dec 9, 2023 12:46 PM
Jun 2021
This episode dropped so many bombs I can't.

° At first I thought Ah-Dua and jinshi are related. Because maomao says she reminds her of someone and they do look similar ngl.
(and at the very beginning we see a person drinking. Is that ah-Dua or jinshi??)

° But at the end of the episode, it sorta suggests that maomao was born to ah-Dua since it's the same 17 years.... ( unless jinshi is also 17. Which I don't think. How old is he anyway?)

° I was a little sus of jinshi being the emperor's sick brother but now he could be the emperor's secret son?? (via ah-Dua)

Idk anything anymore. My brain is a little overheated. Clarify or point out if I misunderstood something but don't spoil tho.
Dec 9, 2023 12:47 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode! Amazing Maomao!
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Dec 9, 2023 12:51 PM

Mar 2023
Jinshi should of known that mao would only lick poison off his fingers.

With her father being revealed to have deliver babies, I wonder what happened. There’s probably a twist with one of the babies.
Will Jinshi’s unknown past factor into this? He is like early 20s.
I think we know Mao was delivered at the Verdigris house, unless that is not accurate. She is close in age to the deceased baby, but that baby was a boy, so nothing to do with her.
Dec 9, 2023 1:10 PM

Jul 2022
wait what... WHAT?
so maomao and jinshi are the same age and she might be ah-duo's daughter or something??

watsym said:

did they not says that the previous emperor's second son (jinshi) was born around the same time as the son that the current emperor had with ah-duo so wouldn't that make jinshi also 17 years old?
DreadfulLawDec 9, 2023 1:19 PM
Dec 9, 2023 1:13 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to ForeverTraitor
So her adoptive dad is a eunuch doctor who used to deliver babies for the current emperor? I'm guessing it'll be revealed that Maomao is actually a royal bastard.
@ForeverTraitor they explicitely said that the baby was a boy. Situation with who MaoMao is will be cleared in the second half of the season.
Dec 9, 2023 1:16 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to Mega_Muse

° At first I thought Ah-Dua and jinshi are related. Because maomao says she reminds her of someone and they do look similar ngl.
(and at the very beginning we see a person drinking. Is that ah-Dua or jinshi??)

° But at the end of the episode, it sorta suggests that maomao was born to ah-Dua since it's the same 17 years.... ( unless jinshi is also 17. Which I don't think. How old is he anyway?)

° I was a little sus of jinshi being the emperor's sick brother but now he could be the emperor's secret son?? (via ah-Dua)

Idk anything anymore. My brain is a little overheated. Clarify or point out if I misunderstood something but don't spoil tho.
@Mega_Muse the baby was a boy, it was pointed out explicitely. Also, either they messed up the translation of the wording. The childwas born more than a year before MaoMao in LNs.
Dec 9, 2023 1:18 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to DreadfulLaw
wait what... WHAT?
so maomao and jinshi are the same age and she might be ah-duo's daughter or something??

watsym said:

did they not says that the previous emperor's second son (jinshi) was born around the same time as the son that the current emperor had with ah-duo so wouldn't that make jinshi also 17 years old?
@DreadfulLaw Jinshi is 23 officially, his real age is different but he is a bit older than MaoMao.
Dec 9, 2023 1:29 PM

Apr 2014
Soon enough Maomao will know about Jinshi's frog
Dec 9, 2023 1:32 PM
Apr 2022
I screamed at Jinshi trying to feed Maomao honey 😭😭😭😭
Dec 9, 2023 1:38 PM
Feb 2023
Mega_Muse said:

You’re pretty much spot on. She definitely had a male child at birth, if that clears anything up for you without spoilers.
Dec 9, 2023 2:00 PM

Mar 2023
@DreadfulLaw
I don't remember that, it's been 7 weeks so maybe I'm forgetting, but I doubt that info you gave on Jinshi is available in the anime
It's explained that the son Ah-duo had with the emperor died 17 years ago in the last minute of the episode in the monologue Mao was having.
watsymDec 9, 2023 2:15 PM
Dec 9, 2023 2:32 PM

Feb 2019
Another awesome Kusuriya episode. We finally get to meet concubine Ah-Doh who unlike the others we’ve met so far seems to be much more.. understated? Not overly thick or overbearing. Androgynous, lot of mystery to her and the emperor’s backstory.

Speaking of backstory, we finally addressed what I was wondering about from a few weeks ago. Obviously maomao dad had some connection to the palace based on how he reacted to her coming back last week, turns out he was the physician who delivered the then prince’s son... but why was he banned? There’s a lot questions still to be answered

If they didn’t explicitly specify that it was a male, I’d lean towards the baby being Maomao. Especially since they talk so much about her specific age in the episode. Could be Jinshi potentially?? Guess we’ll find out soon enough. This place has so many secrets. Much better episode than last one.

That scene of Jinshi chasing Maomao with the honey is great 😂 bro loved teasing her
Marinate1016Dec 9, 2023 2:44 PM
Dec 9, 2023 2:39 PM

Feb 2019
Dukino said:

It literally does since he was revealed to be the physician?

Edit: guess he corrected his post
Marinate1016Dec 9, 2023 2:44 PM
Dec 9, 2023 2:42 PM

Apr 2022
jinshi being very bold, tryna use that finger licking rizz. gyokuyo was not having it lol.
Dec 9, 2023 4:20 PM
Mar 2015
She discovers something about the emperor his first concubine and her own father
Dec 9, 2023 5:12 PM

Oct 2017
Finally about time we get more on Ah Duo. So she's a foster sibling of the emperor and had a child who died after birth. A certain someone looks a lot like her though so maybe? Wonder what Maomao found out, seems like she's onto something. Jinshi trying to feed her honey with fingers though lol. Also Maomao's dad had connection to the rear palace after all. So he was a doctor back then and was expelled after Ah Duo's child died.
MegamiRemDec 18, 2023 2:23 AM
Dec 9, 2023 5:15 PM

Mar 2011
This is getting interesting. I have a few theories but I'll wait and see. I feel like this episode was a build-up for something. I'm really looking forward to see how everything is connected.
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Dec 9, 2023 5:22 PM

Mar 2021
A-Duo in riding clothes, aah missed opportunity, emperor ^^

"Even the most beautiful flowers wilt over time." And that picture of the rotten pomegranate, wow.

Ah so that's the story behind Maomao's father—it all comes full circle with Maomao working for the emperor hehe
Dec 9, 2023 5:36 PM
Aug 2020
another beautiful episode with some stories that are all connected...

the dad is suffering, what did he do??? ( i read the manga so don't answer that question...)
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Dec 9, 2023 6:03 PM

Nov 2010
  • According to the Net, the Chinese style greeting uniting hands together in front of your chest is called "kyou syu" ("put together" + 'hand'). Also the bow with this gesture is called "yuu rei" ('bow' + 'greeting').
  • You can see MaoMao greets to the young consort Lishu in "yuu rei" style in this episode. I only slightly hooked by the scene at first, she did it to recall to Lishu that she met MaoMao before by hiding her freckles, again.
kuroneko99Dec 9, 2023 6:15 PM
Dec 9, 2023 6:46 PM

Mar 2007
Ohoh, what did Mao's father do in the past?? hmmm??
Dec 9, 2023 7:17 PM

Sep 2019
Ah Duo's child died and Jinshi looks like her a lot for some reason, sus.
Dec 9, 2023 8:02 PM

Jul 2012
A little confusing with the way they ended it. I could only get that her dad worked at the palace.
Dec 9, 2023 8:21 PM
Jun 2021
Nachtwandler_21 said:
@ForeverTraitor they explicitely said that the baby was a boy. Situation with who MaoMao is will be cleared in the second half of the season.

Oww. Okay thanks!
Dec 9, 2023 8:22 PM
Jun 2021
Divinefemme said:
Mega_Muse said:

You’re pretty much spot on. She definitely had a male child at birth, if that clears anything up for you without spoilers.

Thanks! Maybe I'll rewatch that part
Dec 9, 2023 9:40 PM

Mar 2008
If Lishu was under 12 months old it may be she had infant botulism from the honey rather than an allergy. However honey also can be poisonous if made from the pollen of poisonous flowers which may relate to the reported death of Ah Dua's son. Which if the case goes back to Maomao's dad planting those flowers. Unclear if this was intentional or accidental.
Dec 9, 2023 9:58 PM

May 2015
The plot thickens. The backgrounds, the everyday objects surrounding the concubines, the painted ornamentations on the buildings were so detailed, carefully drawn, that I had to rewatch a few scenes just to take in their beauty.

"It is part of the nature of being a woman to be cautious of the same sex?"

I liked this thought of Maomao, it kinda summerized one controversial side of human nature, one that had same importance in a chinese harem like it does today in a company or a high school class, that is how women struggle with each other to establish a hierarchy the same way men do amongst themselves. The anime showed it very well that this hierarchy not necesserily the same as the apparent ranking order within the group would suggest. The bullying of Lishu gives away how very low she is in this virtual pecking order while our Maomao is in a very firm position despite of her not necessarily being aware of it because of her low birth.
Dec 9, 2023 10:26 PM

Oct 2022
Lishu’s situation is kinda of infuriating. Her ladies in waiting make outsiders look hostile to her while they themselves scorn and bully her, the emperor barely visits because she so young, it’s good on one side since he won’t treat her like the previous emperor but bad on the other since she becomes even more isolated. So right now she basically has nobody, this girl does not deserve to be treated like this…
UndefeatedBahamut
Dec 9, 2023 10:34 PM
Jul 2020
The honey scene will forever be remembered as the greatest anime scene of all time
Dec 9, 2023 10:46 PM

Dec 2022
Jinshi is such a perv approaching Maomao with the honey like that, and now it’s confirmed that her dad was a part of the inner palace and Maomao might’ve been conceived there.

Excited for the rest, every episode had be awesome.
Dec 9, 2023 11:19 PM

Oct 2022
Is Jinshi Ah-duo's child and they faked his death to protect him or something?? Also Im'ma say it again Maomao's dad kinda fine.

Dec 9, 2023 11:50 PM

Nov 2022
So her dad was in on the conspiracy. Not terribly surprising but sure is interesting.
Dec 10, 2023 12:13 AM

Mar 2020
Some mysteries uncovered, but a lot more to think about...

Finally we got some background on Concubine Ah Duo this episode, as she was the only one who hasn't gotten much of a spotlight. It was nice to see some more lore around her, and interesting to learn about her losing her child, just like Lihua. Some good comedy as usual, but the highlight of the episode has to be Maomao reading those records near the end of the episode, figuring out that her father was the doctor in charge back when Ah Duo lost her child as an infant. There we some subtle hints towards Ah Duo's identity, but I'm sure we'll get more clarity eventually, and if she has any connection with some of the characters we've seen already.
Dec 10, 2023 12:29 AM

Oct 2022
It was interesting to see more of Lishu and Ah-Duo I can't wait for the next episode we're gonna see Jinshi's childhood I think and the hugg omg.
Dec 10, 2023 12:36 AM
Dec 2022
looks like next episode onwards will be the climax

Xiaomao finally discovered her father was the doctor who assisted Ah Duo giving birth

Glad this anime has 24 episodes

Dec 10, 2023 12:37 AM
Dec 2022
Reply to Tsinelas
Is Jinshi Ah-duo's child and they faked his death to protect him or something?? Also Im'ma say it again Maomao's dad kinda fine.
@Tsinelas read the manga if youre curious
Dec 10, 2023 12:46 AM

Dec 2022
Jinshi's teasing of Maomao never gets old lol.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does this ever get good? ( 1 2 )

El_Jiro - Jun 13

66 by Yeshaiah2015yesh »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

119 by Blaze2Anime »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

164 by Blaze2Anime »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

205 by LotteGiants »»
Jun 13, 2:29 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

90 by grandy_UiD »»
Jun 13, 12:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.