Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 13, 2023 7:30 AM

Nov 2011
The creatures in this series are amazing imo, not just by their look but mystical nature.

It's too bad the hero Stark didn't get the respect he deserves but Frieren wants to see what he can do herself. An interesting way to introduce his character for sure even if he falls into some classic hero tropes. I also find his chemistry with Fern to be amusing and they adapted their expressions pretty well from the manga.
Oct 13, 2023 7:30 AM

May 2020
The dragon might not have killed the villagers back then on a whim, but it was this token of fortune which led Stark to become the hero of this village he is right now. And he knows it all too well, that’s why he was putting every last ounce of his strength to train as much as he could’ve before the decisive battle.

Liked how Fern encouraged him, stating she was also in the same shoes once. She does trust him, and mind you that would only improve further going forward. Though liked it when Stark didn’t show up on time, and Fern literally rolled herself around a tree so Frieren couldn’t proceed without him lol. But hey, he did, he’s kind of obliged too after all, in his own words.

The dragon fight wasn’t even a thing more than a few panels in the manga, but the adaptation made a FUCKING SHOW OUT OF IT. Just the kind of heroic deed Stark would have deserved. He took the dragon out on his own… luck might have it in it since it was an old dragon, but no could take anything away from him. Stark has joined the party!

Fern’s reactions are comedy gold, almost everyone of them is meme-worthy lol. She does kind of give Stark a cold shoulder sometimes, but they’ll improve as they’ll start to know each other better:)

By the way, good deeds of the hero party in the past are still helping Frieren and co. out one way or the other. She was the legendary elf of the party after all.
Oct 13, 2023 8:26 AM
Apr 2015
I love seeing the party forming up finally
Oct 13, 2023 8:30 AM
Sep 2015
Let's appreciated how the highly-detailed dragon was hand-drawn.

Frieren doesn't learn her lesson after all. Her pupils has much shorter lifespan yet she choose to "slow-life" the travel. At this point Frieren should be partnered with a species that has much longer lifespan than her (vampire?) so that she can learn that time is the most precious resource in the world.
Oct 13, 2023 8:33 AM

Apr 2010
Frieren being called baba was funny but her response was like her usual behaviour.
The fight with the dragon was nice but it was funny how Fern didn't want to be dragged into the fight.
Also some memories of the past again but this time from a different perspective which was nice.
Oct 13, 2023 8:37 AM

Feb 2021
Btw the Japanese name of this (Sousou no Frieren) actually means "Frieren of the funeral"

This is probably the most well-made dragon fight I've ever seen in anime holy shit
Now I kinda feel bad for the dragon.
This is so cute lmao. The gap moe is real.

Oh god it's the spell that allows you to see though clothes
I want to ship Fern and Stark so bad but stem staying friends/comrades would be cool too.

Really good episode!
EmbientOct 27, 2023 9:43 AM
Oct 13, 2023 8:38 AM
Jul 2023
Stark VS Solar Dragon is just a wonderful spectacle to watch.

P.S: Smol Stark lol.
MainnusOct 13, 2023 8:48 AM
Oct 13, 2023 8:41 AM

Oct 2017
Madhouse went hard with the animation during the dragon fight, that was lit af. Stark was actually really strong after all but he is a coward. I thought Frieren was gonna kill him for calling her an old hag but she has a big heart and didn't mind. And it's finally here, they've finally started from the point where the hero party started back then. Their journey truly begins now. Also lol Fern's relief when she found out Stark's normal and ain't like Frieren when it comes to time was cute.
Oct 13, 2023 8:45 AM
Dec 2022
was expecting a super short dragon fight because thats how it was i the manga but WOW that was cool. i love the humour sm too
Oct 13, 2023 8:46 AM

Apr 2021
phantomfandom said:
Let's appreciated how the highly-detailed dragon was hand-drawn.

Frieren doesn't learn her lesson after all. Her pupils has much shorter lifespan yet she choose to "slow-life" the travel. At this point Frieren should be partnered with a species that has much longer lifespan than her (vampire?) so that she can learn that time is the most precious resource in the world.

it was animated by Yutaka Nakamura and Keichiro Watanabe I think
Oct 13, 2023 8:49 AM

Mar 2021
Really amazing episode with Stark now joining the party and his battle with the dragon was so well made and animated
Oct 13, 2023 8:55 AM
Jan 2020
G.O.A.T action animation
Stark vs Dragon is best part of this episode
Oct 13, 2023 9:00 AM

Sep 2019
That was so good. Stark vs Dragon was fire.
Oct 13, 2023 9:01 AM
Jun 2020
100/10
The animation goes so hard!!! Madhouse needs to chill. The story is touching and exceptional as always
Oct 13, 2023 9:06 AM

Jan 2009
fern x stark ship is sailing hard eh

and that sakuga fight of stark with the dragon is cool i think TNK animated some of it
Oct 13, 2023 9:07 AM
Jun 2020
As I wasn't expecting Stark was such a coward, I wasn't expecting he was also so powerful. Defeat a dragon in a single shot is a Hero's thing, not a Warrior's.
Oct 13, 2023 9:09 AM

Dec 2020
Well yes Stark was so strong that Frieren has not used her magic to kill the dragon but he alone was enough.
Frieren want to chill but yeah for her time is not same like Fern and stark.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Oct 13, 2023 9:10 AM

Jul 2012
Stark's funny. He and Fern have great chemistry. I think they needed someone like him on this journey to lighten up the mood sometimes.
Oct 13, 2023 9:10 AM

Apr 2023
"So small" 😭 Can't wait to see more of Fern and Stark, their chemistry is great!
Oct 13, 2023 9:14 AM

Jun 2019
Very very strong episode. It was just as beautiful as I expected from the leaked staff list. It was very beautiful. And, the action was immaculate. Frieren is going strong. You love to see it.
Oct 13, 2023 9:16 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Nah, this is straight up unfair, sick animated fight, the hand drawn dragon is insane.
Oct 13, 2023 9:25 AM

Oct 2014
Damn that was good! Now that's how you do a character!

Frieren has always been a great story, so far. But this episode pushed it to me to that 10/10 region. Magnificent.
Oct 13, 2023 9:28 AM

Jul 2016
"Being afraid isn't a bad thing. It's my fear that brought me this far."
Eisen's lines alone could cleave mountains.

Did Fern really have to slander Stark's mini Stark that hard literally right after he solo'd a dragon? Poor little dude.

The real magic is how they made the berry dessert look so good tbh. Kinda want to try one.
Oct 13, 2023 9:54 AM

May 2014
The dragon fight literally took 30sec before Stark call for frieren
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 13, 2023 9:55 AM

Mar 2020
Stark can indeed be the hero, even if he hasn't realized it yet himself...

Another strong episode, firstly with a wonderfully animated sequence with Stark against the dragon, a lot of great drawings, as expected from such a stacked staff lineup with the likes of Hironori Tanaka, Shingo Yamashita, and so many others working on this episode as key animators. I also really liked the parallels between Eisen and Stark's fear of facing tough enemies, as well as Fern telling her little story of her first battles. As well, the humor really stood out to me this episode, and I definitely enjoyed some of those moments, and it also made for good chemistry between Fern and Stark. Now, as they passed the blockade faster than expected, the journey continues, even if Frieren wanted things to be done at a slower pace.
Oct 13, 2023 9:58 AM

Jul 2011
So, basically this episode was about 2 people that kept running away from their respective quests so they couldn't progress in the story. Stark with the dragon, and Frieren with hero quest that she had to inherit just because she was in the hero's party.
Oct 13, 2023 10:01 AM

Nov 2014
Everyone's talking about dragon, and for me the highlight was the scene when they tested the spell to see through clothes /shrug
Oct 13, 2023 10:07 AM
Oct 2022
i cant take this smol Stark slander(⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)
Oct 13, 2023 10:17 AM

May 2019
Damn, Fern is mean! lol

I do like her expressions though like her pouting in previous episodes and I laughed when she was relieved that Stark is normal because he also didn't want to wait 2 years to go to the Northern Lands.

Frieren had her cute and funny moments too such as when the dragon was killed and she excitedly ran towards the treasure and later on when she thought the guards were after her and she tried "hiding" behind a book.
Oct 13, 2023 10:21 AM
Aug 2015
one of the best 2 minute i've ever seen. holy
Oct 13, 2023 10:31 AM
Jul 2016
As a manga reader, I think it's kinda funny? strange? not bad? the way that anime adapts the chapters of the manga.

Basically, at this point of the manga, the chapters are somewhat self-contained vignettes. This episode adapts chapter 11 and 12 of the manga.

So you have two stories in one episode. Or the last half of one story, and a self-contained vignette of another story. It might have made more sense to have Chapter 10 (when they first meet Stark) and Chapter 11 (when he defeats the dragon) as one episode. But then you might have to skip over a chapter. And ultimately, none of this will matter when the anime finishes airing and everyone will binge the episodes back to back anyway.

Oh, the struggles of adapting one medium to another.

Anyway, cool dragon fight!!!! Let's go Stark!!!!!!
Oct 13, 2023 10:41 AM

Oct 2020
Welcome Mr. Stark to this adventure, Frieren continues to very funny on the trip.
Oct 13, 2023 10:44 AM
Aug 2018
Teared up at fear scene. I love the humanity of it
Oct 13, 2023 10:47 AM
Dec 2019
Might be my fav ep of the season so far!

I'm loving this anime so much
Oct 13, 2023 10:50 AM

Aug 2021
i'm really liking the parallels between the past and current adventures. animation for the stark vs. dragon fight looked great
Oct 13, 2023 10:51 AM

Jan 2023
Fear propels one’s resolve forward.

I love the way they incorporated a new sequence to Stark fighting the Solar Dragon, it feels more dramatic and audacious compared to the manga. The fluidity of the choreography and positioning, it just feels so smooth and full of impact and passion. Hearing Stark yell out “You old hag!” with the distanced audio, now that was a treat. Poor Stark with the slander, that was the real highlight of this episode .>. Love the dynamic between Stark and Fern, it’s funny yet lighthearted and connecting.

THE NORTHERN CHECKPOINT.
That little dance Frieren did when the captain of the guard apologized to her was pure enlightenment to my heart, so adorable. I love all of these cutesy moments in the group. Ironic that they’re let through so quickly rather than waiting the two years if they had told them their names buttt it’s been some almost eight decades so not everyone will recognize Frieren right away. Regardless, the party sets off towards the Northern Lands as they continue towards Aureole.. What will lie behind..?

Great episode, from Stark facing the dragon to all of the delightful comedic moments (So small) to the passing of the Northern Checkpoint.
Have a joyful Friday :D
Oct 13, 2023 10:56 AM

Jul 2017
Stark knows that he can't quite defeat the solar dragon, yet with the village pinning its hopes on him, the dragon too has a temperament of attack, and being labelled the hero of the village, he has a reputation to keep up. Fern on the other hand, can testify to her own experiences, that all she needed was resolve to protect those in need. The next day, Stark is gone, though Frieren wants to target the solar dragon once again, and he came back with his 30 seconds promise to defeat the dragon, just like how Eisen had feared from his experiences before. And the animation, it's pure 2D hand-drawn animation that showcases all of the talents of the animators that looks magnificently sleek. But little did Stark realize that he managed to defeat the solar dragon by himself, and all that Frieren cared for is the grimoire. And sure, Frieren made the Hero Party's journey fun and ridiculous, and that's the crux of that whole journey, as the trio bade farewell to the village.

Stark joining Frieren and Fern to the fortress city of Waal, both Stark and Fern still can't quite get used to each other well, apart from the small dick joke. Even the dessert that Stark had with Eisen that looked big, everything now looks small to him, but getting out of the town will take some know-how, which they both start by investigating the slums. Looking at the far lands from his past with Eisen, Stark has learned a lot about the dwarf, and carries on his legacy to do the same. Frieren being stalked by the guards, it was all a misunderstanding and understanding that she'd be granted access to the checkpoint to further go up north to the Demon King's palace.

h well Frieren, another time to research on your magic...
Oct 13, 2023 10:57 AM

Jan 2009
some big names animated the dragon fight like hironori tanaka, shingo yamashita and yutaka nakamura https://twitter.com/Nakayasee/status/1712838521080168478

look at all those big name animators https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/239500
Oct 13, 2023 10:59 AM

Jan 2018
Holy shit. The Stark vs Dragon fight scene animation was goated. Mad House is so back.

Goddamn Fern. You didn't have to be THAT blunt. Geez. This girl's got no chill.

The more I learn about Eisen, the more I like him. Too bad Stark thinks his master hates him. Hopefully, he'll eventually find out that Eisen is actually proud of him.
Oct 13, 2023 11:06 AM

Mar 2019
This scene of Stark's fight against the red dragon was spectacular, thanks Madhouse for calling such good animators for this anime. ლ⁠(⁠^⁠o⁠^⁠ლ⁠)
Oct 13, 2023 11:09 AM

Mar 2023
I feel the same way about this episode as Frieren felt about Stark’s performance, exceeded my expectations.
Great writing and animation. It started adding in more comedy as well, especially the different facial expressions, and it mixes really nicely with everything else.
Oct 13, 2023 11:13 AM
Aug 2020
another excellent episode with a great animation
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 13, 2023 11:16 AM
Apr 2020
I loved the fight animation.
Oct 13, 2023 11:16 AM

Jun 2015
This eps was both epic and comfy at the same time
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Oct 13, 2023 11:38 AM

Dec 2016
This show is killing it on all of it's assets. Character writting, world building, lighthearted humor, and animation. Ridiculous how so many people are living on copium watching Helck and claiming "muh dollar store show is underrated" when old school Madhouse is showing us how fantasy titles can be glorious with the right people behind it.

I love the back and forth stories of Himmel and the gang, they serve as great relief and also world expansion without having to rely on full flashback episodes filled with nothingness (looking at you again Helck). Eisen's characterization about fear before battle was also really humane and a breath of fresh air against boring one dimensional OP characters.
Oct 13, 2023 11:43 AM
Adventurer

Apr 2017
Whoa. WHOA. Scrap everything I said in the last episode. This episode completed Stark's introduction arc and completely made up for everything I thought episode 5 lacked in.

Fern finds Stark practicing, and figures out that the giant fissure was created as a result of his practice. I could guess where the plot was going from there, but I'm really glad they followed up with it. It explains why the dragon didn't attack Stark nor the village during all those years Stark spent there. The truth of the matter is; Stark is exceptionally strong. He just needed resolve to kill the dragon without Frieren's help at all. Fern and Stark had a nice bonding moment that led to him realizing that, and the two had great chemistry after the initial bad first impressions. Love to see it.

I was expecting Stark to turn out to be Zenitsu 2.0, but this show exceeded those expectations. His cowardice was an important part of his character arc and not something that defined him in the end. I hope that him getting to see his potential leads to more bravery in upcoming battles!

There were some comparisons made all-around with Frieren and Eisen as tutors/mentors, as well as the students in relation to their mentors as well as between each other. That helped them bond with each other, and allow us another peek into Frieren's memories of the og squad.

Syrup, huh... I wonder if it'll ever come up as a reference like with the grapes.

The end part with Stark talking about his mentor so fondly showcased his good character, despite thinking that Eisen was disappointed in him he still wanted to partake in this journey to go back to him with stories to tell. Also glad that we got this particular obstacle cleared out of the way so quickly instead of having another montage of waiting around. Stark's presence also gave Fern some reference as to how normal humans view the passage of time. That'll be important to her, I'm sure.

And again with the hilarious cuts~ With Fern also being nothing sort of a coward herself, and Stark taking her comment about his scoundrel face seriously and using it to intimidate the villagers lmao. I love the comedy in this show!
I'll make it with the power of cute

I'm unstoppable
Oct 13, 2023 11:46 AM
Mar 2022
Anime of the year! JJK who?
Oct 13, 2023 12:02 PM
Adventurer

Apr 2017
I want to emphasize once more how glad I am that they didn't make Stark into a carboard-cutout of Zenitsu, and actually made him seem human. This is how to do a coward-type character right.

Cowardice isn't a fundamental personality trait that we're born with and that stays there the rest of our lives. Cowardice is a lack of resolve. And that's what this show got right.

Before the fight, there were many comedic/silly scenes of Stark exclaiming doubt in his abilities and that he definitely can't do it! He can't kill the dragon! And he didn't become a completely different person during the fight either. He had already killed it without realizing it, but once Frieren denied the support he reverted right back to the yelling fool who shouted, "you expect me to kill this thing on my own, you old hag!?"

And yet we stop seeing that after he realizes he killed the dragon.

He'll be scared, for sure, in the next battles, but the show already established that being afraid is ok, and being afraid is what got Eisen to where he is today. But no longer is he doubtful in his own abilities to the degree that he was before in this moment, so there's no need for him to go "back to normal" and start acting like a silly coward again for some slapstick comedy. I'm sure we'll get those moments eventually, because no doubt goes away forever immediately, but cowardice is not an inherent personality trait. It is lack of confidence in your abilities.

I'll make it with the power of cute

I'm unstoppable
Oct 13, 2023 12:38 PM

Oct 2014
Reply to BlichoBoy
So, basically this episode was about 2 people that kept running away from their respective quests so they couldn't progress in the story. Stark with the dragon, and Frieren with hero quest that she had to inherit just because she was in the hero's party.
BlichoBoy said:
So, basically this episode was about 2 people that kept running away from their respective quests so they couldn't progress in the story.

2 people... and a dragon.
the dragon feared Stark, that's why it hid away and didn't attack the village. Stark found the courage to attack the dragon in that small, mountaneous space - a plae where a dragon couldn't use its full strength (flight + striking from afar).
It only realized it had to fight for its life at the end, and that was too late.

If the dragon had killed Stark 3 years ago, it wouldn't have ended this way.
But nope, it's a battle between 2 cowards, and the one that finds the courage wins.
Oct 13, 2023 12:39 PM
Aug 2020
Everyone only talks about the dragon fight, but actually the animation of the whole episode was fucking awesome. All these creative angles and perspectives, the facial expressions and the smooth animation, it all was perfectly executed.
I really need to rewatch this episode
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» When will S2 happen ;__;

FrierenSimpKing - May 29

35 by Scyon »»
11 hours ago

» Is Himmel a Manic Pixie Dream Boy?

Moonshine_cookie - Yesterday

15 by Mdraj6996 »»
Today, 9:45 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2023

333 by haminshamin »»
Yesterday, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 2

273 by Arxanum »»
Yesterday, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2023

232 by Vindicater »»
May 31, 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.