Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 3, 8:03 AM
Aug 2020
Spoiler!

Eren Yeager and Borderline Personality Disorder (DSM-V TR Criteria)

Eren Yeager shows behaviors that align with several criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder according to the DSM-V TR.

Unstable patterns of interpersonal relationships: Eren displays this in his relationships with friends and comrades. He can be loyal but also quick to anger and isolate himself, burning bridges with those he cares about. (e.g., arguments with Mikasa and Armin)

Identity instability: Eren's sense of self is heavily tied to his obsession with destroying the Titans. He struggles with who he is outside of this purpose. (e.g., constant drive for revenge)

Impulsivity in at least two areas: Eren acts impulsively throughout the series, often making reckless decisions that endanger himself and others. (e.g., punching Mikasa, insisting on the Attack Titan's power)

Recurrent suicidal behavior, threats, or attempts: While not explicitly suicidal, Eren demonstrates a disregard for his own safety and a willingness to die to achieve his goals.

Affective instability due to reactivity of mood: Eren experiences extreme mood swings, shifting rapidly between rage, determination, and despair.

Chronic feelings of emptiness: After the fall of Shiganshina and the loss of his mother. He constantly seeks something to fill this void, latching onto the goal of destroying the Titans.

Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger: Eren's rage is a defining trait. He struggles to control his anger outbursts, often resorting to violence. (e.g., attacking Mikasa, violent outbursts towards Reiner)

Important to Note:

- This analysis is for educational purposes only and does not constitute a formal diagnosis.
- Only a qualified mental health professional can diagnose Borderline Personality Disorder. (I'm only a psychology major so don't take this diagnosis seriously please 🥺)
- Eren's behavior is also shaped by his experiences within the world of Attack on Titan, including childhood trauma and the constant threat of Titan attacks.

If you suspect you or someone you know might be struggling with Borderline Personality Disorder, it's crucial to seek professional help from a qualified mental health professional.
egosumjohnApr 3, 8:07 AM
Apr 3, 8:24 AM

Jan 2009
eren should take the dark triad test
Apr 3, 8:32 AM
Mar 2021
I think anyone who was constantly seeing the past present and future all at once wouldn't last a day before dying of some kind of intense stress disorder. I imagine it would place far too much strain on the nervous system and brain.
Apr 3, 8:33 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Hacker075
I think anyone who was constantly seeing the past present and future all at once wouldn't last a day before dying of some kind of intense stress disorder. I imagine it would place far too much strain on the nervous system and brain.
@Hacker075 he is a titan shifter with founding titan powers so he regenerates fast enough
Apr 3, 8:42 AM
Mar 2021
deg said:
@Hacker075 he is a titan shifter with founding titan powers so he regenerates fast enough

I guess that makes sense. Bro was literally getting the kaneki treatment then sheesh.
Apr 3, 9:03 AM
Jun 2022
If Eren isn’t engaging in self-injurious or self-harm behaviors and has not attempted suicide, then he wouldn’t meet the suicidal diagnosis.

Also, most of these symptoms would have to be recurrent for X amount of time and they can’t have been caused by anything else. Watching his mother die, the war, realizing he was a Titan, and everything he has gone through as a result of being a Titan and the war would probably explain most of his behavior. We would need to account for everything he has done and gone through in order to properly conceptualize Eren.

We should also look at the differential diagnoses and comorbidities that could be present. Does him being a white, German male impact his head state? What about seeing what was about to happen to Mikasa? Given a more stable situation he may not exhibit any of these symptoms. (Masters student in counseling)
VeganKnight1988Apr 3, 9:06 AM
Apr 3, 1:47 PM
Dec 2020
„Eren's behavior is also shaped by his experiences within the world of Attack on Titan, including childhood trauma and the constant threat of Titan attacks.“ AND constantly being manipulated by himself in order to get the best outcome for his friends. im sorry but i dont think it makes sense trying to fit his actions and thoughts into a mental disorder
Apr 3, 11:02 PM
Feb 2023
I would argue that it’s much more likely to be complex-ptsd or just ptsd - which presents very similarly to BPD. Especially because we see Eren actively avoid intimacy/close relationships which can be an indication of c-ptsd/ptsd.
Apr 4, 6:12 AM
May 2019
he got the long covid
Apr 4, 6:38 AM
May 2016
Yeah, Eren's actions in Attack on Titan do kinda match up with some signs of Borderline Personality Disorder. But hey, diagnosing someone, even a character, isn't our call without the right know-how.
Apr 4, 7:19 PM
Jun 2022
keinboesewicht said:
„Eren's behavior is also shaped by his experiences within the world of Attack on Titan, including childhood trauma and the constant threat of Titan attacks.“ AND constantly being manipulated by himself in order to get the best outcome for his friends. im sorry but i dont think it makes sense trying to fit his actions and thoughts into a mental disorder

No, not particularly. If we didn’t have the fourth wall break where HE is the reason his life is this way because Founder and manipulating his own history then….maybe. But we can’t conceptualize a person who literally is his own worst enemy
Apr 5, 12:27 AM
Dec 2020
VeganKnight1988 said:
keinboesewicht said:

No, not particularly. If we didn’t have the fourth wall break where HE is the reason his life is this way because Founder and manipulating his own history then….maybe. But we can’t conceptualize a person who literally is his own worst enemy

thats what i said..
Apr 7, 7:37 PM
Apr 2021
egosumjohn said:
Spoiler!

- This analysis is for educational purposes only and does not constitute a formal diagnosis.
- Only a qualified mental health professional can diagnose Borderline Personality Disorder. (I'm only a psychology major so don't take this diagnosis seriously please 🥺)
- Eren's behavior is also shaped by his experiences within the world of Attack on Titan, including childhood trauma and the constant threat of Titan attacks.

If you suspect you or someone you know might be struggling with Borderline Personality Disorder, it's crucial to seek professional help from a qualified mental health professional.

I don't believe that the test is useful in this situation. usually those apply to people living in a semi-normal society or having experience a traumatic event or multiple traumatic events during childhood continuing.
Children cannot be diagnosed with BPD generally.
And Eren saw the Future and everything at age 16. The Eren before and after become different people and I personally think are beyond the means of conventional mental observation.
I would say post-memory Eren has a form of Schizophrenia except his delusions are real but not yet present
and Pre-memory Eren has simple developmental disorders and PTSD though he is masking cause they never get a real break from the abnormal living situation.
Apr 7, 8:22 PM
Aug 2020
Reply to L_Jeans
egosumjohn said:
Spoiler!

I don't believe that the test is useful in this situation. usually those apply to people living in a semi-normal society or having experience a traumatic event or multiple traumatic events during childhood continuing.
Children cannot be diagnosed with BPD generally.
And Eren saw the Future and everything at age 16. The Eren before and after become different people and I personally think are beyond the means of conventional mental observation.
I would say post-memory Eren has a form of Schizophrenia except his delusions are real but not yet present
and Pre-memory Eren has simple developmental disorders and PTSD though he is masking cause they never get a real break from the abnormal living situation.
@L_Jeans thank you for that insights
Apr 8, 6:06 AM

Aug 2020
Messyplotwritingphiliac.

Apr 8, 6:23 AM

Sep 2016
My diagnosis: Eren was vindictive, then touched historia and became Machiavellian.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1656 by ExecrableDan »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

247Eyes - Jul 13, 2013

546 by LT637_Anime »»
Jun 1, 7:44 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2013

1555 by flimmyjimmy »»
May 19, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2013

921 by _akshatts_ »»
May 12, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

991 by kzen_sno »»
May 10, 10:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.