Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 26, 2020 12:15 PM
Jan 2020
hey I started serial experiments lain today and I do enjoy it but im kind of really stupid so I don't really understand much of what's going on.... but I want to! can someone explain a bit of the show/world without to many spoilers im on episode 5 btw
Oct 26, 2020 12:20 PM

Mar 2018
The fun of the show is trying to figure it out on your own :P
Oct 26, 2020 12:23 PM

Oct 2010
I too am stupid but the show reveals itself throughout the episodes. Anyways, basically it's about this girl Lain investigating the internet and how it affects real life, I don't remember what happens till episode 5 but it's made on purpose to be confusing as fvck, the show plays with the mind of the watcher, even at the end no one knows what happened but there are clues as to what the show was about. There will be an episode were they will explain some stuff, I call it the electricity pole episode (people who watched it know what I'm talking about).

don't be afraid of not knowing what is this, we are in the same situation
Oct 26, 2020 12:25 PM

Oct 2018
Not understanding is part of the experience, enjoy
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Oct 26, 2020 12:26 PM

Apr 2020
If you're in the more middle episodes like 5 and 6, I think it's supposed to seem confusing and then later it will try to expain itself. When I was done with the show I still thought it was a little confusing, but a large amount of people like youtubers did analysis's on them that worked really well to understand and helps you appreciate the show even more- so be sure to look into them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2020 12:34 PM
Aug 2018
Even if you're unable to follow the plot, the visual elements are still very strong, it's a great viewing experience for that alone. You can look up analysis online once you're done watching if you want to, but I'd say the best decision is to rewatch the show if you don't feel you get it once you're done, and then draw your own conclusions. Of course, it can also be a lot of fun to compare your interpretations with those of others.
Oct 26, 2020 12:35 PM

Jan 2020
To be honest, I, myself, didn't entirely understand SEL after watching it. I needed to take some help from internet to comprehend its beauty. But don't worry, I think you'll eventually start understanding what the show is about.
Oct 26, 2020 12:36 PM
Jul 2020
I haven't watched the show myself lol.
Oct 26, 2020 12:56 PM
May 2014
It's about transhusmanism (wikipedia definition: Transhumanism is a philosophical movement that advocates for the transformation of the human condition by developing and making widely available sophisticated technologies to greatly enhance human intellect and physiology) and the idea of downloading human consciousness into virtual enviroments to be free of the constraints of the physical world.

I suggest you finish watching before reading the rest of this expanation because some of the things necessary to understand the anime are still to come. I don't think this is an anime where spoilers matter much but well, your choice.

Also english not my first language so I apologise for grammar.

There's this one guy in the anime, don't know if he has shown up yet by whatever episode you are, Masami "God" Eiri. He created wired, which is a web that exists connecting the brains of every human being on earth. The show explains how the net is supposed to work in the episode where it talks about this theory that earth's electromagnetic field can be understood as a brain, and the electromagnetic fields of individual human brains as neurons. I don't recall if this is the exact analalogy but the important thing to understand is that it sort of connects everybody's brains. He uploaded his own conciousness into this web and created lain. lain is an AI within wired who's goal is to download everyone's conciousness into it. This is the "other lain" we see within wired. This AI, this "other lain", existing inside wired and so within everyone's brain, was able to create the lain we see in the real world. What this means is that the "main lain" we see does not phisically exist. Every one sees and feels her because she exists within wired. This is why once she understands this, she's able to do things like seemingly altering reality as when she magically shows up at arisu's room. She's just manipulating people senses through wired.
I don't remember much besides that and there might be some confusions by I think overall this sums it up.
Oct 26, 2020 1:01 PM

Aug 2013
Don't worry, you probably won't understand fuck until episode 9 or 10. Or even after finishing it.
Oct 26, 2020 1:02 PM

Nov 2017
You have a clear message, yet you are unable to pass it to a viewer.
Bravo, Konaka-san. This is what you call "pretentious" :) or "babble".

None of existing philosophers had such problems. None of them wanted to look "smart". Maybe Heidegger, but no one takes him seriously. They wrote simple things. Or maybe some Sollers-like writers. Once again, bravo Konaka-san. Joke's on you.

ayeflied said:
connecting the brains of every human being on earth

This is rather pantheistic point of view :)
ayeflied said:
It's about transhusmanism

Reference to transhumanism (which has solid scientific base) makes this anime even worse. I'd consider it more of a speculative human dreaming with no connection to reality or science whatsoever, assuming the form of pseudo science-fiction (or light fantasy, "uncanny" if you will, according to Todorov's theory).

I don't like Lain.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
KuniiOct 26, 2020 6:23 PM
Stay gold!
魔法よ魔法よ生まれておいで!
Sasuga Kasuga! Osaka fan club on MAL. Join us if you like Osaka-san!
Oct 26, 2020 1:11 PM

Aug 2016
No worries, just look up some explanation on the internet and pretend you understood that from the get-go like everyone does.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Oct 26, 2020 1:22 PM
Jul 2018
Anime is half the story. It continues in the ps1 game
Oct 26, 2020 1:22 PM
May 2014
ayeflied said:
It's about transhusmanism

assuming the form of pseudo science-fiction

most definitely, I can understand that, I think.
I have to say though, I have no idea of what the other expressions you used mean. And judging by the fact that you're using them so naturally on an anime site I'd expect you to be the kind of person that enjoys pretentious shit like Lain, much like I was when I gave it a 10/10. But you're not, so, well, good on you.
Oct 26, 2020 1:56 PM

Nov 2017
ayeflied said:
I'd expect you to be the kind of person that enjoys pretentious shit like Lain

My profile list is open to anyone :) Don't worry about it :)
ayeflied said:
you're using them so naturally on an anime site

I didn't say anything difficult though. About uncanniness:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzvetan_Todorov
just classification of mystery stories with or without scientific explanation [of their ending]. Science fiction is not included though.

I prefer simple anime. They have so much more to offer than a pseudo-scientific and a pseudo-philosophical babble. No offense, of course, I appreciate and respect every anime taste and I am open for arguments :)
Stay gold!
魔法よ魔法よ生まれておいで!
Sasuga Kasuga! Osaka fan club on MAL. Join us if you like Osaka-san!
Oct 26, 2020 3:27 PM
May 2014
EdgyEcchiSenpai said:

I prefer simple anime. They have so much more to offer than a pseudo-scientific and a pseudo-philosophical babble.

I like that. An honest and straightfoward aproach to entertainment is always commendable.
Oct 26, 2020 3:31 PM
Jun 2020
Haven't seen it yet, but man, I hope at least I'll like Lain.
Oct 26, 2020 3:36 PM

Mar 2019
Serial Experiments Lain is one anime where it's okay to get confused.

I suggest reading explanations on internet. It'll help.

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Oct 26, 2020 4:48 PM

Sep 2020
EdgyEcchiSenpai said:

I prefer simple anime. They have so much more to offer than a pseudo-scientific and a pseudo-philosophical babble. No offense, of course, I appreciate and respect every anime taste and I am open for arguments :)

I concur with this sentiment. Lain, while having a good theme, is a very slow and tedious anime. Everything moves at a snail's pace. I think it works better as a book/manga instead of a visual medium like anime. Same issue that Evangelion has, excellent story but it's a pain to endure the MC.

Some anime are just not made for entertainment value bc the author is too focused on making it DEEP

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Oct 26, 2020 6:24 PM
Community Mod
ウェルカムチーム™

Feb 2014
Thread moved to the series sub-board.

GUIDELINES/FAQ
AD/MD RULES
CD RULES
CE RULES
STAFF
SET BY SENPIEX
Oct 27, 2020 4:33 AM

Mar 2020
Personally I find the magic of the show on slowly understanding it after watching it the first time.
Dec 20, 2021 12:11 PM
Dec 2017
thats part of the goal is to be wtf on what is going on around here.

Jan 20, 2022 1:56 PM
Jan 2022
Hi guys!
So,I finished watching Lain today and i have many doubts and also did not understand many things
I will start to study this anime and i gonna try explain various mysteries from Lain

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

376 by ryzxgum »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

296 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 1:10 AM

» I'm got a question

mydaddy - Jun 5

24 by 0xJay »»
Jun 12, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

175 by Ch0coPudding »»
Jun 9, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

124 by Bunker-Nines »»
Jun 9, 1:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.