Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 18, 2020 2:40 PM

Dec 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episodes 3-6 were streamed on Amazon Prime Video in Japan on January 12

more internal drama this episode. this time we go full in-depth backstory of Hayashi's role in the company and his relationship with Tsukasa. wasn't a complete info dump, so it was alright. in the meantime, Satoru meets Jin, which seems like a potential big-shot, as they play mind games with each other

Hayashi desperately tries to crack Tsukasa's key to fix their relationship, but seems Tsukasa's has an ace up his sleeve judging from that last smirk

Jan 26, 2020 1:44 AM

Sep 2016
I honestly thought the show will keep its case-of-the-week format after watching ep#3. To my surprise, starting from ep#4, it turned to focus on depicting the main characters of their inner world rather than being a generic episodic show.

I love the character developments in this show. Tsukasa is a super interesting character with complicated sensibility.
Throughout the whole episode, I was trying to figure out if he was faking his emotion towards Hayashi or if he really meant it. With the concept that ‘pet’ will have a strong connection with those who share their peaks with them, I believe that he spoke from the heart. And I think Tsukasa’s sad memories confirmed that.

On the other hand, It’s quite funny to see Satoru & Jin trying to play mind games with each other by using the same trick.

A good cliffhanger again. On a side note, I love the ED & OP more & more.
Feb 3, 2020 6:17 AM

Nov 2019
So Satoru is a rapist huh..

Feb 3, 2020 6:39 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I didn't understand everything but it was quite interesting this time
Feb 3, 2020 9:05 AM

Mar 2016
The way people behave around the ones that provide them with their mountains is probably why they're called Pets.

Hayashi looks so comfortable and experienced with his powers, like he knows exactly what he needs to do, and he's ready for it.

I think Satoru just met Mei Ling.

Tsukasa is showing a whole new side. I know they foreshadowed his messed up side in an earlier episode, but this still surprised me.

I am worried Hiroki is just being used by Tsukasa. That boy is so innocent, and I really don't want him to suffer.

This is really random, but I never expected an attractive guy like Tsukasa looking so ugly as a child.
Feb 3, 2020 9:22 AM

May 2019
This anime manages to make me hella confused with each episode.

So, now that we dived deeper into the characters, it more and more seems like Tsukasa is the bad guy. Well, one thing for sure, Hiroki is a good boy that needs to be protected but will probably end up being the most damaged character. Poor dude...

The world of Pet is very very scary. Having the ability to alter one's memories that easily, man, even the thought of it sends chills down my spine.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Feb 3, 2020 9:27 AM
Nov 2019
this_shit_again said:

Yeah, I liked him too, he was so nice to Hiroki. Such a shame.

Omg, the dog! The effing DOG! Tsukasa's a sly one, no doubt. Hopefully not sly enough to destroy Hayashi, who seems to have fairly decent intentions.
Feb 3, 2020 10:56 AM
May 2019
Such a fantastic and exciting episode the mind battle between Tsukasa and Hayashi is so much fun.
This anime is criminally underrated.
Feb 3, 2020 11:18 AM
Aug 2019
this_shit_again said:

how is he a rapist exactly??? If you are talking about the thing with Jin there is no reason to think he was going to have sex with her. He knew something was up and it wasn't some cougar. Did you see how he was dressed ffs???
Feb 3, 2020 11:55 AM

Nov 2019
PoeticalGore said:
He knew something was up and it wasn't some cougar.

Something was up alright, but it wasn't his vigilance.

this_shit_againFeb 3, 2020 12:09 PM
Feb 3, 2020 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
This episode was fantastic, can’t wait for the next one
Feb 3, 2020 12:37 PM
Jul 2018
Tsukasa's smirk at the end tells me a trap's coming for Hayashi.
Feb 3, 2020 1:32 PM
Feb 2017
This episode was so good. I'm finally starting to understand what's going on and watching it is much more enjoyable.
Feb 3, 2020 2:55 PM

Jul 2017
With Katsuragi on hold from Hayashi's crushing "Quirk", Tsukasa takes it on his stead against said character looking for Satoru, in the meantime, crushing the Company and its wayward brainwashed people like Tsukasa, manipulating thoughts with their "peaks and valleys", while they're "projecting images". That's even more worse for Hayashi, regarding his own family.

For the grown-up Satoru, nowhere is ever too safe with the Company on full lookout on him. On this stead, the secret woman named Jin is tasked(?) to interrogate him. More on that effect, Chinese Qigong (part of martial arts) seems to be the sole reason why the Company exists in the first place with the Crushers, something along the lines of corporate "management". That's why there are as many doubts for clarification, though it makes sense why people like Tsukasa would live to see the Company's vision grow, other than Hayashi who's been on the opposing track.

With the bantering between Hayashi and Tsukasa, it's time to crush memories, but not without something called a lock (to prevent memory manipulation), in more layman terms, protecting the master-servant relationship if like in Tsukasa and Hiroki's situation (latter is former's Pet) to hide their (high) peaks and (low) valleys. And that's Hayashi's way to crush Tsukasa if he has any hopes to save Satoru.

Lots of infodump, but just the right ones. Feeling like I can understand the show while the narratives flow fluently.
Feb 3, 2020 3:46 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Orikasa_Momiji said:
I love the character developments in this show. Tsukasa is a super interesting character with complicated sensibility.
Throughout the whole episode, I was trying to figure out if he was faking his emotion towards Hayashi or if he really meant it. With the concept that ‘pet’ will have a strong connection with those who share their peaks with them, I believe that he spoke from the heart. And I think Tsukasa’s sad memories confirmed that.

On the other hand, It’s quite funny to see Satoru & Jin trying to play mind games with each other by using the same trick.

I agree! Since the OP is too good to skip, I always watched it, and noticed that Tsukasa gets slightly more focus than the other three. I figured they would develop his character more, and we definitely got that here. I was wondering as well, if his tears and words to Hayashi were real, but I also concluded that he was being genuine because he felt the same way towards Hayashi as any other pet would with pretty much their savior. I can see why Tsukasa became a "cold" person like he is. He had to be on his own within the organization at a young age, whereas Satoru was able to live with Hayashi for awhile. That can really build up resentment, especially towards Satoru, who he might view as the one who took Hayashi away from him.

I saw the dog's bottom half in the first flashback and was wondering what it was doing there XD Seems like Hayashi caught onto it as well, BUT due to Tsukasa's smirk in that last scene...I have a feeling he planted the dog as a trap/diversion and that's not likely to be his key.

It was definitely funny when Satoru and Jin were thinking of the same trick, heh. Satoru is wary of the organization though, so he's probably not going to play along. Or maybe he will, so he can break away later, if that's possible. Hayashi probably regrets that he wasn't able to tell Tsukasa the same thing. I mean it seemed like he really would've liked to raise both Satoru and Tsukasa. Hmm, I'm really curious about Tsukasa's peak now. As with other pets' pasts, his was also sad :(
Feb 3, 2020 4:17 PM

Feb 2019
Once you get used to the show, it's amazing. The low MAL score is indicative of a lot of people just not paying attention while watching it. It's not a show that will spoon-feed you everything. You have to put the pieces together that it gives you. That, and maybe a lot of people aren't with the Yaoi vibes which I can respect, personally not a fan myself but the story and world are good enough to overlook it.
Feb 3, 2020 8:54 PM

Jul 2012
I think I will put this on hold until it is completed. It's a waste for me to watch it every week and not fully understand things. It will probably be a better experience if I just binge it when it's done. Even in episode 5, my head hurts. I even like BL but the weird BL vibes it gives off is so unfitting.
Feb 3, 2020 9:17 PM
Jun 2016
FuMomo-kun said:
The way people behave around the ones that provide them with their mountains is probably why they're called Pets.

I think Satoru just met Mei Ling.

I think Mei Ling is the small girl in the pink dress. I initially thought she was a doll honestly, but with Hayashi mentioning how she was taken before she could create a lock and how she has no personality, I'm pretty sure that's her.
Feb 3, 2020 9:21 PM
Jun 2016
PoeticalGore said:
this_shit_again said:

how is he a rapist exactly??? If you are talking about the thing with Jin there is no reason to think he was going to have sex with her. He knew something was up and it wasn't some cougar. Did you see how he was dressed ffs???

Given how he reacted, he didn't know she was a crusher when he first tried to hypnotise her. People are calling him a rapist because what he was attempting is basically like drugging a girl to get her to sleep with you. He attempted to hypnotise Jin to get her to 'go crazy' with him (he didn't specifically mention sex but it's strongly implied), that's why she called him out on it and asked him whether that doesn't leave him feeling empty inside.
Feb 3, 2020 9:29 PM
Jun 2016
nanimeanswhat said:

So, now that we dived deeper into the characters, it more and more seems like Tsukasa is the bad guy. Well, one thing for sure, Hiroki is a good boy that needs to be protected but will probably end up being the most damaged character. Poor dude....

If anything this episode showed that Tsukasa really isn't a bad guy. In fact we get to see so much complexity from Hayashi, Tsukasa and Satoru in this episode. None of them are purely good or purely bad people, they're not just tropes but all have positive and negative qualities. We get to know that Tsukasa's deep involvement with the Company is a result of the fact that Hayashi basically abandoned him and told him to work for and listen to the company. Given the fact that Tsukasa idolises Hayashi so much, he did exactly what he was told. Furthermore his anger towards Hayashi is entirely justified. What Hayashi did to him would be similar to a father who had a kid without realising the responsibility of doing so, and then just abandoned his child in order to take care of another child. Of course Tsukasa is hurt and angry over it; I don't see this as him being a bad guy at all. Yes Hayashi never had bad intentions, but that doesn't take away the harmful consequences of the choices he made.
Feb 3, 2020 9:31 PM
Aug 2018
Satoru is surprisingly perceptive and smart.
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
Feb 4, 2020 1:11 AM

Nov 2010
Mayuka said:
I think I will put this on hold until it is completed. It's a waste for me to watch it every week and not fully understand things. It will probably be a better experience if I just binge it when it's done. Even in episode 5, my head hurts. I even like BL but the weird BL vibes it gives off is so unfitting.
I also have similar impression. The audience can't tell whether the characters are telling and behaving based on truth or false. We usually build our perspective, like triangular measurement, based on some fixed points, but this show doesn't have those. Probably that's one of the reasons we cannot understand the story. BL vibe would be another cause of the low score.
---
Character design and art style are also ugly.
kuroneko99Feb 4, 2020 4:52 PM
Feb 4, 2020 2:47 AM

Jul 2016
Marinate1016 said:
Once you get used to the show, it's amazing. The low MAL score is indicative of a lot of people just not paying attention while watching it. It's not a show that will spoon-feed you everything. You have to put the pieces together that it gives you. That, and maybe a lot of people aren't with the Yaoi vibes which I can respect, personally not a fan myself but the story and world are good enough to overlook it.

I agree. This has been my favourite show of the season so far.
Feb 4, 2020 4:50 AM

May 2019
deathnate4 said:
nanimeanswhat said:

So, now that we dived deeper into the characters, it more and more seems like Tsukasa is the bad guy. Well, one thing for sure, Hiroki is a good boy that needs to be protected but will probably end up being the most damaged character. Poor dude....

If anything this episode showed that Tsukasa really isn't a bad guy. In fact we get to see so much complexity from Hayashi, Tsukasa and Satoru in this episode. None of them are purely good or purely bad people, they're not just tropes but all have positive and negative qualities. We get to know that Tsukasa's deep involvement with the Company is a result of the fact that Hayashi basically abandoned him and told him to work for and listen to the company. Given the fact that Tsukasa idolises Hayashi so much, he did exactly what he was told. Furthermore his anger towards Hayashi is entirely justified. What Hayashi did to him would be similar to a father who had a kid without realising the responsibility of doing so, and then just abandoned his child in order to take care of another child. Of course Tsukasa is hurt and angry over it; I don't see this as him being a bad guy at all. Yes Hayashi never had bad intentions, but that doesn't take away the harmful consequences of the choices he made.

I agree that Hayashi is the reason Tsukasa ended up like this. Like what? Like a 'bad guy'. That's why I said he seems like the bad guy of the story so far. And the reason is, once again, Hayashi. Of course, as you said, no one is purely the bad guy or the good guy. This anime is not black and white which is something I appreciate. That's true for except, of course, the one and only good boy Hiroki.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Feb 4, 2020 11:43 AM

Jan 2020
Honestly Tsukasa did not feel real in this episode, its like the way he was crying was kinda...ugh...he could have violently screamed at him but the crying made him seem like a weirdo...

MyAnimeList Profile ✦ Anime List Manga List ✦
Feb 4, 2020 12:42 PM
Jul 2018
I’ve just noticed that Jin was in the car in the flashback with Meiling
Feb 4, 2020 4:42 PM

Sep 2017
Okay another pretty interesting episode. There is so much terminology but it's all coming together slowly.
Feb 5, 2020 12:48 AM

Aug 2018
A Good Episode
7/10
Feb 5, 2020 3:18 AM

Mar 2009
Wow. This episode was great.

And yeah, looks like Satoru is also fucked up in the head. That explains his "flicking the bean" comment to the maid a few episodes back, as he tried to mess with her. Even worse in this episode.

Pet's an interesting series because there's no character to really root for, yet it's still engaging.
Feb 5, 2020 5:20 AM

Nov 2019
Mormegil said:

And yeah, looks like Satoru is also fucked up in the head. That explains his "flicking the bean" comment to the maid a few episodes back, as he tried to mess with her. Even worse in this episode.

Good catch. I saw that as an intent to startle..

There's of course the chance he thought Jin was a lookout, but the way he spoke and the use of the male gaze left me with little faith of an ulterior motive..

But.. Episode 3 through 6 were released simultanously on Amazon Prime Video Japan. Perhaps the creator intended for these to be watched in quick succession..

We'll just have to wait and see whether they'll clarify it or leave it ambiguous..

Feb 5, 2020 8:43 AM

Mar 2010
I want to bet that the dog is a trap.
Feb 6, 2020 2:49 AM

Mar 2009
this_shit_again said:
Mormegil said:

Good catch. I saw that as an intent to startle..

There's of course the chance he thought Jin was a lookout, but the way he spoke and the use of the male gaze left me with little faith of an ulterior motive..

But.. Episode 3 through 6 were released simultanously on Amazon Prime Video Japan. Perhaps the creator intended for these to be watched in quick succession..

We'll just have to wait and see whether they'll clarify it or leave it ambiguous..

Yeah. Was an odd line to her and it came out of nowhere. Guess this episode explained Satoru's dark side, though!

I think having episode 1 and 2 together(at least) outside of Japan would've been a good decision. A shame they didn't do that. Can't say I understand the discrepancy between Amazon Japan and elsewhere. Weird schedule.
Feb 6, 2020 7:33 AM
Aug 2018
Marinate1016 said:
yeah, all of this^^^ My best guess is a lot of people scored it extremely low after only watching the first episode which I find ridiculous. If they'd bothered to watch the next episode a lot of the confusion was cleared up. Personally, I enjoy shows that don't always spell out the plot immediately especially something like this when it's a psychological mystery. The score is a shame because I'm sure it's turned quite a few people away from watching it.
Feb 6, 2020 8:05 AM

Oct 2017
Mind battle between Tsukasa and Hayashi was great and wow an invitation of joining the company to Satoru. Maybe he'll join, things will get more interesting that way.
Feb 6, 2020 9:26 AM

Feb 2019
@LiLa_Shay it certainly requires a lot of active participation which was even a change for me, as I normally play FGO while watching my shows, can't do that with this one
Feb 7, 2020 6:08 AM
Aug 2018
Marinate1016 said:
@LiLa_Shay it certainly requires a lot of active participation which was even a change for me, as I normally play FGO while watching my shows, can't do that with this one
It really does. I've had to re watch quite a few scenes to truly understand what's going on but it doesn't diminish how much I'm enjoying this at all. I know everyone's tastes are different but this show shouldn't be rated this low.
LiLa_ShayFeb 7, 2020 6:11 AM
Feb 9, 2020 6:53 AM

Nov 2019
Hmm..

Something darker hidden in Tsukasa's past perhaps..
Feb 15, 2020 9:23 AM
Jul 2018
Damn, Tsukasa is a creepy and annoying brat. Hope he dies in the end
Feb 24, 2020 7:11 PM

Oct 2018
Some people have the power to enter other people's minds and manipulate memories. Their power has been used to cover up mysteries, cases and even assassinations. These powers can not only destroy other people's spirits but also erode the users heart at the same time. The users had to protect their fragile and insecure hearts, as if chained to each other. They are called "pets" out of fear and disdain.
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Feb 28, 2020 4:34 PM

Aug 2017
A lot of information in a short time, we know more about the Company and the relationship between Tsukasa and Hayashi.

Still, I think that this episode was too rushed, too many interesting things in a short time.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 29, 2020 8:57 PM

Jan 2015
I feel so bad for Hiroki, he deserves much better
I thought tsukasa was his friend, I'm a fool
Apr 11, 2020 7:35 AM
Sep 2015
FuMomo-kun said:
This is really random, but I never expected an attractive guy like Tsukasa looking so ugly as a child.

I agree, a lot of characters look chubby when young, or they have eyes that seem closed all the time. Even the Japanese characters here look like Chinese.
Apr 25, 2020 8:47 AM

Jul 2015
Quite a lot of information revealed this episode compared to previous episodes, Tsukasa is quite the complex character

So their ability has something to do with qigong, no wonder the chinese maffia was involved in a previous episode

Jun 16, 2020 1:38 PM

Jul 2019
Hajashi is heading straight towards the trap and there is probably a reverse card waiting for him there. I guess that is why no one else could take him down.
Nov 9, 2021 2:11 PM
Aug 2020
there's just too much dialogue and info in each episode!! but it's interesting regardless

Tsukasa is definitely going to manipulate Hayashi! I'm sure he had a plan before he even met him

Also why tf Tsukasa kept blushing when he was in the car with Hayashi? like that was just unnecessary
Nov 25, 2023 4:03 AM

Jun 2015
Im currently on a binge watch, but holy shit is this getting wilder and wilder.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pet Episode 10 Discussion

Ashhk - Mar 9, 2020

36 by JeanFranciss »»
Feb 18, 9:39 AM

Poll: » Pet Episode 8 Discussion

Ashhk - Feb 24, 2020

37 by JeanFranciss »»
Feb 11, 8:26 AM

Poll: » Pet Episode 6 Discussion

uninstallthegame - Jan 18, 2020

43 by JeanFranciss »»
Feb 4, 9:31 AM

Poll: » Pet Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

uninstallthegame - Jan 18, 2020

71 by Hooray »»
Aug 31, 2023 6:29 AM

» Why so spicy 🌶

CielIsAWeeb - Nov 30, 2022

1 by KushiAyane »»
Aug 24, 2023 3:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.