Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 3, 2016 10:50 AM

Aug 2015
Has nobody experiencing the huge drop in animation quality lately?And this episode always felt like something was missing from the very beginning.I think i should start reading manga.
Sep 3, 2016 10:50 AM

Oct 2013
LOL actually, I like Hayama quite a bit after watching this episode. It helped me realize that Hayama's cooking is in complete gratitude of what Jun has done for him. I think that's what really stood out to me. I think an easy way to put it is that it's not Hayama's talent that has gotten him thus far; it's Hayama that has gotten his talent this far. Remember that he's always practicing to improve his sense of smell
Sep 3, 2016 11:12 AM
Mar 2016
Really enjoyed the episode, but I like that the defeat that Soma Kun got, motivates him to do more of his own fresh ideas!!
Sep 3, 2016 11:19 AM
Apr 2015
pls tell me I'm not the only one happy souma lost
Sep 3, 2016 11:27 AM

Jul 2016
"The winner is... 8 years ago" I'm just like, "Are you kidding me!?"
Even Soma didn't win, it's still a good result, and nice episode.
And I like it when those three become such a best friends lol
Sep 3, 2016 11:39 AM
May 2014
I was so happy that soma didn't won
I was worried that they would make soma win only because he is the MC.

And so happy that Hayama won.
I think Hayama is my prefered character. The face when he rise his hand, He looks like he don't believe what is happening, even though he says from the beginning that he is the best.
Sep 3, 2016 11:47 AM

Feb 2015
Really like this episode a lot cause they put more pretty big characterization for soma imo and more characterization on Hayama for the story to goes on. what i like more is that, in this episode, for the anime only, knew that soma isn't a genius. he's just an ordinary guy without any talent. and like his father said, soma just lack on of the common things that normal people think when they loset to someone who's talented.

soma never care with it. or never think about it. he's just keep moving foward without thinking about talent or such things. he's just keep moving, struggling and searching for ways to win, to make a better dish than his rival. that's soma. and i like it that most people would think "there's no way i could win", "he/she's too talented", "it's obvious talented people would win" but the scene when the perv guy explained why most of the audience haven't awknowledged him is because they didn't want to awkowledging their own lack of effort. and that scene, i really like it a lot because it's so straight foward and i can relate that to myself xD

and for the last one, sportsmanship. really like it a lot. yes, it's frustaiting, it's irritating, but that's what i like. and i'm happy at the same time. the mc that looked like he's OP but actually he isn't. the show has been trying to made the mc looked op in your eyes and thus why now, from your perspective, soma is an op character but actually nope. that part, i really like that a lot. not only soma is getting closer to hayama, but ryo is getting closer to hayama too. and i really like the fact that the battle isn't a one-sided battle. there was only a little gap/difference between hayama and soma.

i enjoyed this episode a lot seriously.
looking foward to the next episode.
Sep 3, 2016 11:56 AM
Jul 2018
The reason why Hayama Akira won is obvious I'm pretty sure to a lot of people rather then me, Soma is retarded for hanging up on his dad when he just got into school remember? he was about to tell him the secret which was "get a lady to cool your all for". Hayama Akira was lucky that Jun found him naturally and he is doing this all for her, until Soma realizes he needs someone to cook for like Elina or Tsumugi or Alice he will be 3 or even 5 steps above everyone.
Sep 3, 2016 11:58 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Well, damn it lol

But okay, that flashback from Hayama made it a bit more bearable.

Stagiaire!
Sep 3, 2016 11:59 AM
Jul 2018
It was too bad that Souma did not win!
Sep 3, 2016 12:10 PM

Jun 2016
Kinda intrigued to who is Alice's father
Sep 3, 2016 12:27 PM

Nov 2014
I didn't expect Souma to lose tho. U_U
Sep 3, 2016 12:37 PM
Nov 2014
CoolBeans24 said:

Er, isn't that pretty obvious?
Sep 3, 2016 12:54 PM

Feb 2015
Manga reader so I obviously know the result but meh, Hayama is my least favorite of the three. Ah well, time for the internship arc!
Sep 3, 2016 1:04 PM
Mar 2016
Oh shit Hayama wins, nxt "the Stagiaire", so does that mean that Hayama will be up against Erina?
Sep 3, 2016 1:07 PM

Mar 2015
Anyone else pick up on Doujima's words in relations to Hayama in the current manga chapter?
Sep 3, 2016 1:07 PM

Feb 2014
Im glad Hayama won. His dish was really unique and his backstory was touching. He has something to fight for.

Now I couldn't tell if Hayama romantically loves Jun or if its familial love. To me she seems more as big sister, but looking at their interactions I can't quite tell either way.
Sep 3, 2016 1:10 PM

Jan 2013
Amazing episode! I was expecting Souma to win but...next time ;)
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Sep 3, 2016 1:10 PM

Jan 2015
I was really surprised that Souma didnt win, because in the prelins he had 1 less points than Hayama, but 3 out of the 5 judged gave a higher score to Souma, and they even mentioned that he wouldve beat Hayama in a shokugeki there, and since this finals judgment was like a shokugekis, i expected soumas win....
Sep 3, 2016 1:11 PM

May 2013
Sokah said:
So the dishes were equally good, but because Akira has limited himself to only being able to do a specific kind of cooking, he wins? For being the worst chef? Okay.

Originality is a factor in many high-level cooking shows for this very reason. All of their technical skills are great so you need a deal breaker.

And being exceptional at a particular area doesn't mean being crap everywhere else.
Sep 3, 2016 1:36 PM
Nov 2013
Well, there were replays in this episode and consist of half the episode but I think it was well made as 3 contestant with skills which are on par with each other , to sum up all of this tension in a way , so that no matter what the outcome is viewers get strong feeling of win.
so, i think it was 5/5
Sep 3, 2016 1:37 PM

Mar 2014
They built all of that shit up for Hayama to win. All of the little moments to give you hope that Soma would win, or maybe Ryo, without giving away any of it. But lets be real the flashback gave that shit away. And if Soma would have won i think it wouldve ruined the idea that he had more to work toward. It was all planned, and to be honest, it was poorly executed. The flashback shouldve occured at the beginning of the episode. And the whole idea that they knew he had the smell as soon as him and that chick met was kind of dumb. I think the flashback couldve been better in general. In regards to Soma, I think people already respected him for beating the bully dude and giving back a 100 cooks their cooking supplies. So that whole conversation of respect between the two Gents, was also unneeded. I think the focus this episode should have been a dialogue between the judges and Soma, or Nakiri's sister and soma. But w/e food wars is getting worse and worse.
Sep 3, 2016 2:07 PM

Oct 2012
Finally, the even is over, it was getting boring and felt as chore for way too long (even though this episode wasn't as bad).

But now they are diving right into another challenge (internship it may be but still), right off the bat?
If anything this series lacks some breathing space, slice-of-life moments first season had.. everything is happening in such quick succession it feels almost unnatural.
Sep 3, 2016 2:10 PM
Apr 2014
Doing recaps and flashbacks of stuff we already know...
probably could have had 4 eps for the Stagiaire arc

Hayama flashback completly ruined the surprise
Sep 3, 2016 2:18 PM
May 2016
I wanna be the very best...bla bla... This anime is like POKEMON....
So even in season 3 Soma is gonna loose... F.THIS
Sep 3, 2016 2:22 PM

Mar 2015
ultravigo said:
Has nobody experiencing the huge drop in animation quality lately?And this episode always felt like something was missing from the very beginning.I think i should start reading manga.

Yeah I noticed some derp faces I never noticed in previous episodes. Too bad :/

And the manga is all kinds of awesome.
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
Sep 3, 2016 2:23 PM

Jun 2016
Pyrosorc said:
CoolBeans24 said:

Er, isn't that pretty obvious?

I probably missed something. Could you enlighten me please
Sep 3, 2016 2:24 PM

Mar 2015
I remember when I was reading the manga I was so salty when Hayama won lol but hey at least plot armor goes out the window so that's good.
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
Sep 3, 2016 2:37 PM

Jul 2016
The power of the flashback is back!!!

I really liked the fact that Souma lost but I wanted to be against Kurokiba. Well, atleast it was stated that his win is thanks to his love for Jun and that's great.

Next we are having a good change of air and are going to the internship known as Stagiare.
Sep 3, 2016 2:56 PM

Dec 2012
Y E S
E
S

Souma actually lost for once hurray!! So happy for you Hayama, you lovely nugget =D
Sep 3, 2016 3:04 PM

Dec 2012
Congrats to Hayama for winning the Autumn Election. Also congrats to Souma & Kurokiba for making it into the Top 3. All amazing dishes.

Nice flashback & such a sweet hug for Shiomi. The trio are going to make it big in the future.
Everyone at Polar Star working hard to improve.
Nice of the audience to recognize & acknowledge Souma's determination & strength.

The trio all at Shiomi's place. LOL
Great way to end this arc.

Stagiaire Arc for the last 3 eps.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Sep 3, 2016 3:10 PM
Jul 2018
I knew who'd win, but still, the flashback to Hayama's childhood gave it away (and the flashback wasn't as detailed as I was hoping for).

However, I really like the dynamics between Souma, Ryo and Hayama.
Sep 3, 2016 3:15 PM

May 2015
Shit, I thought Souma was going to win this one. Well, grats to Hayama.

Sep 3, 2016 3:43 PM

Jan 2014
Still completely dumbfounded about no one (manga readers don't count) seemingly remembering that vital quote from Souma's dad in season one, or realising that Hayama's victory was only to light Souma's path. People should be a little less absorbed by the contests, and the who, what, hows, and focus a bit more on the why.

Souma's dad S1 said:
The key is finding a someone (a woman) for whom you want to continue improving your cooking.
Souma S2E10 said:
I wonder what it is that Hayama's got, that I don't.

If you add those up, it's obvious. Hayama's got Jun, which the epilogue only served to underscore once more, and the solution for Souma is Erina.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Sep 3, 2016 3:49 PM

Jun 2013
So a second helping of Soma's dish rips old man Nakiri's clothes instantly. Isshiki explains why no one likes Soma. Apart from him publicly insulting Totsuki by calling it a stepping stone, they don't want to admit that they're not trying hard enough. Soma isn't naturally talented like Hayama or Erina but that never stops him from getting better and continuously challenging those stronger than him. Most people would give up or not try hard enough because it would be pointless anyway once faced with a naturally talented super strong opponent. Soma would give it his all and reflect on his mistakes and make things right.

And Soma places second, losing to Hayama. Ryo coming in third was expected since he easily lost to Hayama and obviously they wouldn't be so cruel with Soma to place him third. Hayama's dream to make things up to Jun by becoming the very best that no one ever was is coming true as he's second only to Erina among the first years. And Soma and Ryo aren't over the loss. They want to get better and want to learn stuff from Hayama's winning dish. They continue to compare their dishes at Hayama's place like a couple of freeloaders lol. And now the kids will be sent to the practical world to work in restaurants and Soma probably goes to France for the pink haired dude since he gets focus in the ED despite him not having shown up so far.
Sep 3, 2016 3:58 PM

Aug 2015
I had a feeling when they did a flash back out of nowhere, but well deserved Hayama,
this will definitely help the two grow. But still, I think Souma dish was better
than Ryo's, not that it matters.
Sep 3, 2016 4:15 PM

Dec 2013
The winner became clear when that flashback started.

The key to winning is waifu power XD

I really like the interactions between the three.
Sep 3, 2016 4:23 PM
Aug 2015
I'm very dissapointed with the result to be very honest....
Sep 3, 2016 5:51 PM

Aug 2015
When they mentioned how the winner would be decided by how "unique" their dish is to them I immediately thought, "Oh, Hayama's gonna win."
Then they showed that flashback...
Sep 3, 2016 5:51 PM
Apr 2015
Yamada2 said:
And Soma places second, losing to Hayama. Ryo coming in third was expected since he easily lost to Hayama and obviously they wouldn't be so cruel with Soma to place him third.

Soma and ryo both tied for second. It says so in the manga and also in the scene where all three guys got medals. Soma and ryo both got silver.
I only give 3 ratings on any show I watch

10 = Enjoyed it

5 = Average

1 = Hated it
Sep 3, 2016 6:41 PM

Sep 2011
Memor said:
I guess as soon as Hayama's past comes up you know who's gonna win.

I actually thought they were gonna do flashbacks for all three (which would have been frustrating), but I am extremely frustrated they only did it for him. It felt cheap.

I called it in last week's episode that Soma wasn't going to win. Unfortunately at this point in the story that conclusion is fairly obvious - if he won at this stage there would be no more potential to grow. I felt like this episode was severely mishandled though.
Sep 3, 2016 6:48 PM

Jan 2011
Well, I saw Souma losing this one. Hayama does feel like the obvious choice.
Sep 3, 2016 7:26 PM

Jan 2008
"Why did they want to think less of Soma-kun? Because if they acknowledged him, it'd mean acknowledging their own lack of effort" - Ishiki

This line...was what I was waiting for all of second season, when they directly address the issue of natural talent vs persistent hard work. Even after the Soma and Kurokiba lost, they both persistently striven to improve themselves by comparing each other's dishes later (though not without a slight bit of indignation), to the chagrin of Hayama. To recognize and acknowledge your opponent, that's a sportsmanship attitude many don't have.

Many people thought of Soma as a "Gary Stu" but that couldn't be farther from the truth. If Soma had natural talent, he wouldn't have lost every one of his cooking matches against his dad, or had a difficult time through his many other matches that either resulted in a marginal win, or a loss. If he were truly OP, he would have won it all, without any effort whatsoever much the same way so-called geniuses like Hayama do....though when genius themselves put in effort, it makes it all the more difficult for the others.

All three of their dishes and cooking skills may have been on par. But the main reason why Soma lost this time around explained by the head master, was because he didn't know the hidden theme, an original signature dish; a "specialty". Sucks for Kurokiba though, to get shafted not once but twice by him.

For up-to-date manga readers though, it makes you wonder "what the hell happened to come to this?" when you look back at this episode and the flashback. "But too great a talent will turn against itself in the end." - Dojima. I believe these words will be relevant much later on, but I could be wrong.

Overall, this episode was probably the most important episode of the season, for both Soma and Akira. I'm glad they adapted it well. I'm guessing they're going to cram the Stagiaire arc in the last 3 episodes. Maybe it will spill over to OVAs or new season, but who knows? I just hope they don't stop the anime adaption at season two.
Sep 3, 2016 7:37 PM

Jan 2011
yey after so long saying i was gonna catch up i finally caught up with the anime lol Autumn arc is done!, with only a few episodes left were already starting a new arc that sounds like the purge
Sep 3, 2016 8:08 PM

Mar 2015
Anybody else liked the fact that in the hierarchy pyramid that Hayama made that Erina, which is on the topmost portion has a rage face and everyone else just has a derp face or something?

Also I always loved the part when the three were together tasting hayama's dish. It seemed like they would make an adorable and amazing trio.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2016 8:38 PM

Dec 2014
well I still wanted Soma to win...seeing Hayama's past I felt it was okay for him to win....emotional blackmail much.....
Sep 3, 2016 8:40 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
The moment they put Akira's past was the moment I knew Akira won. They wouldn't add a random flashback and then have someone else win. Still imo Akira won fair and square. To be fair Akira was the perfect candidate to win. Soma is still learning as a chef so imo it was a fine ending.
I liked how in the end the three are hanging out, 4 if you count Jun. Speaking of Jun, aww so adorable when she went to congratulate Akira and then Akira embraces her. Perfect ending to the tournament. It would have been even better if Akira proposed to Jun. Imagine the reaction of the crowd.

Lol at Akira
Give them the cheap cookies xD

Sep 3, 2016 8:47 PM

Jun 2016
If I wanted to read the manga from this point of the story, from where should I begin?
Quién dijo que todo está perdido, yo vengo a ofrecer mi corazón...
Sep 3, 2016 9:00 PM

Oct 2011
Soma finally faced an actual defeat, this will be good for his character development. I must say the tournament was a great ride, showcasing the best in each character.
Sep 3, 2016 9:11 PM

Jul 2013
Did those 3 just become best buds? haha Anyway when the old guy was about to announce the winner there was a flashback of Hayama's past that's when I knew he's gonna win. Which is not that bad after all I've always seen him as Soma's biggest rival because Ryo's just a sidekick of someone Soma's already defeated. Also Soma winning all the time is kinda boring. Besides Hayama's got Jun that lucky bastard.
PrimeXSep 3, 2016 9:15 PM
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2016

152 by j2ez2 »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2016

363 by eeniemewie »»
Oct 10, 2023 4:43 AM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

235 by dspr »»
Jul 12, 2023 3:53 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2016

141 by dspr »»
Jul 12, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2016

155 by dspr »»
Jul 12, 2023 2:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.