Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 22, 2018 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
It's Shaft, it's Fate, it seemed like a perfect combination, so what went wrong? Underwhelming fights, absolutely uninteresting protagonist who is pretty much the same monotonous guy everytime all around, no good supporting characters at all since it spends most of its time following monster of the week formula, maybe worth only watching for Nero. Uninspiring exposition too as if it's building up to something but it doesn't draw any interest because of it's execution.

Is it because the source material isn't good at all?(haven't played it, I am asking). Since I saw a lot of fate fans hyping it for no reason before it's release.
Feb 22, 2018 12:39 PM
Nov 2017
The source material is pretty good but this is less of an adaptation and more of a side story.

Some character have different personality, the Holy Grail war didn't stopped and Hakuno didn't have super powers, and it was a plot point the fact that Hakuno was bland both in personality and appearance
Feb 22, 2018 12:44 PM

Apr 2016
It's just people being people.
Feb 22, 2018 1:13 PM
Jul 2018
Centurionzo_12 said:
The source material is pretty good but this is less of an adaptation and more of a side story.

Some character have different personality, the Holy Grail war didn't stopped and Hakuno didn't have super powers, and it was a plot point the fact that Hakuno was bland both in personality and appearance

So source is better? And I don't really care about bland in appearance or not
Feb 22, 2018 6:35 PM
Nov 2017
Pizzagun said:
Centurionzo_12 said:

So source is better? And I don't really care about bland in appearance or not

Yep, and I the sequel CCC is even better, but Extella was pretty weak.
Feb 23, 2018 6:40 AM

Aug 2016
Fate Extra and Fate Extra CCC are both excellent games.The original extra game had an interesting though a bit tragic story,The protagonist was pretty likable too.Last Encore doesn't follow the original story.The first two episode were good enough but they screwed up on third one,I think.
Feb 23, 2018 2:55 PM

May 2012
It is just your opinion

The opening song is one of the best in this season, Saber looks cute and the most sexy Saber to date (in anime, I don't read VN). The story and fights look interesting. And more importantly I'm enjoying it.

Feb 23, 2018 3:47 PM
Apr 2014
The game actually has a really decent story for a RPG
"I've been blessed with several animations so far, but this is the first time it's not an "anime adaption of a game" but a "book I wrote to be animated".

"You can go wild with your taste. Do what you want"

These words that were said to me in the 2nd meeting are the base of "Last Encore".

And this is how I got my engine running, but since I have no experience with writing anime scenarios, I wrote the source novel-ish book for "Last Encore", and had Sakurai-san help me adapt and adjust that into anime scenario format."
- Nasu

I don't see any anime scenario writing credentials online for this Sakurai guy. He's only credited with VNs and FGO, he also assisted in writing Fate Extella with Nasu, Seems to me like 2 clueless VN writers winging it.
Feb 24, 2018 2:48 AM

Aug 2010
Centurionzo_12 said:

Last Encore is as much of a side story to EXTRA as UBW is to HF. The term for it is "alternate timeline", not "side story".

Drake1000 said:
I don't see any anime scenario writing credentials online for this Sakurai guy. He's only credited with VNs and FGO, he also assisted in writing Fate Extella with Nasu, Seems to me like 2 clueless VN writers winging it.

Maybe you should've spent more time searching?

Sakurai was the script writer for Gakkougurashi.
Feb 24, 2018 6:46 AM
Apr 2014
astroprogs said:
Drake1000 said:

Exactly, a few Ranpo Kittan episodes, which were terrible apparently, and that godawful Gakkou Gurashi disservice to the manga, skipping a bunch of character development and arcs for some filler doggo.
Don't see much besides these 2 entries, maybe I'm unaware of his other masterpieces?
Feb 24, 2018 7:00 AM

Nov 2016
Not everything goes well together,it's like pizza and pineapple.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 24, 2018 7:06 AM

May 2015
It's underwhelming because the story is a jumbled clusterfuck. It'd wouldn't be this way if they actually bothered to explain anything.

Feb 24, 2018 7:33 AM

Aug 2010
Drake1000 said:
astroprogs said:

Exactly, a few Ranpo Kittan episodes, which were terrible apparently, and that godawful Gakkou Gurashi disservice to the manga, skipping a bunch of character development and arcs for some filler doggo.
Don't see much besides these 2 entries, maybe I'm unaware of his other masterpieces?

Didn't reallt talk about her quality as a writer, just that you didn't search for her well enough.

And no, Sakurai isn't the best writer in the world. Good thing that Last Encore was written by Nasu, eh?

Kittens-kun said:
It's underwhelming because the story is a jumbled clusterfuck. It'd wouldn't be this way if they actually bothered to explain anything.

But if they explained, it wouldn't be a mystery you're kinda supposed to put its pieces together in your head, now would it?
Feb 24, 2018 8:00 AM
Sep 2016
I never was a fan of Shaft touching the fate series from day one honestly...no surprise for me
1.1.Six
Feb 24, 2018 9:01 AM
Jul 2018
The only actual complaint about the series so far are the characters as they just die off without a trace of actual connection or decent idea about them, which in the process makes the experience rather... underwhelming in that regard. Hakuno and Nero as a chemistry works well but aside from that well... it seems not much of the case.

Story is investing to some degree for me but sometimes I think it would be much better if they actually try to work on it a bit more.
Feb 24, 2018 9:12 AM
Apr 2015
I would say the story isn't that bad, rather interresting... However it's execution (and characters) on the other hand is sometimes almost hilariously bad.

Atleast it's entertaining to a small extent, i'll give it that.
Feb 24, 2018 9:40 AM

May 2015
astroprogs said:
Drake1000 said:

Didn't reallt talk about her quality as a writer, just that you didn't search for her well enough.

And no, Sakurai isn't the best writer in the world. Good thing that Last Encore was written by Nasu, eh?

Kittens-kun said:

But if they explained, it wouldn't be a mystery you're kinda supposed to put its pieces together in your head, now would it?

I think there's a difference between being hard to understand on purpose in order to create mystery, and just having shit writing.

Feb 24, 2018 9:58 AM

Aug 2010
Kittens-kun said:

I think there's a difference between being hard to understand on purpose in order to create mystery, and just having shit writing.

Elaborate, please. How is LE's method of laying out and building up mysteries bad?
Feb 24, 2018 10:22 AM

Sep 2016
When the fate fans only care about "omg look how sexy saber is" or "saber is cuteee in that outfit"
You can draw you conclusion what kind of series this is
Feb 24, 2018 11:22 AM
Jan 2018
thriach said:
When the fate fans only care about "omg look how sexy saber is" or "saber is cuteee in that outfit"
You can draw you conclusion what kind of series this is

That's one of the most stupid argument i've ever seen.
Feb 24, 2018 1:45 PM
Apr 2015
If you haven't played Fate/Extra, you don't have much reason to care for what's going on. What happened to Moon Cell, how everyone is doing, you have little reason to care. The whole deal with Moon Cell and SERAPH feels like pointless mumbo jumbo.

It doesn't help that they picked the most boring of the Extra Servants. Saber has the most two dimensional character of the three. Which is why in Last Encore, she's relegated an eye candy and fighting machine. She's done little more than get naked and fight. A boring Servant might turn some off.

It's one of those shows that have a bigger impact if you've experienced the source material. If you've played Fate/Extra, this whole 3020 thing is a huge game changer. It's more interesting seeing how everything has gone to shit. The characters and their deaths all have more impact, as the games flesh them out.

If you've played Fate/Extra, this feels like a sequel, even though it isn't supposed to be one. A sequel that takes place after the HGW of Moon Cell goes to shit. At least that's how I see it.

I'm personally enjoying it. Saber is definitely the weakest link, but I've been enjoying seeing Hakuno and other Masters, as well as learning about the setting.
Feb 26, 2018 8:19 AM
Jul 2018
Eruel said:
If you haven't played Fate/Extra, you don't have much reason to care for what's going on. What happened to Moon Cell, how everyone is doing, you have little reason to care. The whole deal with Moon Cell and SERAPH feels like pointless mumbo jumbo.

It doesn't help that they picked the most boring of the Extra Servants. Saber has the most two dimensional character of the three. Which is why in Last Encore, she's relegated an eye candy and fighting machine. She's done little more than get naked and fight. A boring Servant might turn some off.

It's one of those shows that have a bigger impact if you've experienced the source material. If you've played Fate/Extra, this whole 3020 thing is a huge game changer. It's more interesting seeing how everything has gone to shit. The characters and their deaths all have more impact, as the games flesh them out.

If you've played Fate/Extra, this feels like a sequel, even though it isn't supposed to be one. A sequel that takes place after the HGW of Moon Cell goes to shit. At least that's how I see it.

I'm personally enjoying it. Saber is definitely the weakest link, but I've been enjoying seeing Hakuno and other Masters, as well as learning about the setting.

I see, thanks for the explanation. I was really confused with the hype behind it before it started airing, guess I would never but into the hype of Fate fandom again.
Feb 27, 2018 1:38 PM

Nov 2014
Eruel said:
Saber is definitely the weakest link
It's funny that you say that and I suppose it just points to the disconnect with people who haven't played the game because Saber is the only person in this show with any actual character development so for me she's the strongest link and the only reason to keep watching. Take Rani for instance, I'm sure she was an important character in the game by the way people talk about her but in this show she's just some random side character who I was never given any reason to care about.
Forum Signature
Feb 27, 2018 5:21 PM

Apr 2014
These are my two cents.

Honestly I blame Nasu for advertising Last Encore as newcomers-friendly as well as for veterans, when in reality this show is definitely for people that played the original Extra games. As pointed by Eruel, if you don't know the source, the setting, characters and the story of the game you'll be lost most of the time and won't give a sh*t about anyone besides probably Saber because she has the most in-your-face charismatic personality for anyone not familiarized with the rest of the cast, hence why most reviewers complaining thinking this is all about her and only her, when in reality it's about the entire world of Extra who's clearly strange and different from what veterans are used to.

Another point is most of newcomers(probably) came expecting a better Fate/Apocrypha, or second Fate/ZERO, meaning better developed/written characters and better animated action scenes.

Well, Extra contrary to what Extella made people think, is NOT action centered, and it's NOT your average Holy Grail War which is a death match kill'em all battle royale, the HGW on SERAPH was always a 1x1 kinda deal in a monster of the week way, difference is the characters were given a background and proper development(-----SPOILERS----like at the very beginning of episode 5, that is actually what happens on the game, showing that Dan was a honorable knight and wanted a fair fight against Hakuno, curing him after Archer poisoned him outside battle grounds, which he found disgusting and unfair).
Extra, although having battles(yes, it is at it's core a heavily grindy RPG), was always more about it's story, mysterious world, new servants and masters and their identities, and amnesiac Protagonist.
Last Encore is even more mystery centered because it's actually intriguing with it's differences from the game from the very beginning.

Extra DOES have interesting/ well written characters though, thing is, unless you play the game chances are you'll never know of it by only following the anime.

Bottom of line, fans of the Extra game will mostly be OK with Last Encore or gladly enjoy it, some might not be that satisfied with animation or choice of main servant too(or even the Male/female MC nonsense), newcomers will probably only enjoy IF: They either have curiosity about Red Saber; Are intrigued by the mystery behind the story after being told of details from fans(or figuring out on their own); Or they really like Shaft and have no(major) problem with it's way of animation and exposition on-screen.
Mar 5, 2018 7:46 PM
Apr 2011
Kanon191 said:

Another point is most of newcomers(probably) came expecting a better Fate/Apocrypha, or second Fate/ZERO, meaning better developed/written characters and better animated action scenes.

Bottom of line, fans of the Extra game will mostly be OK with Last Encore or gladly enjoy it, some might not be that satisfied with animation or choice of main servant too(or even the Male/female MC nonsense), newcomers will probably only enjoy IF: They either have curiosity about Red Saber; Are intrigued by the mystery behind the story after being told of details from fans(or figuring out on their own); Or they really like Shaft and have no(major) problem with it's way of animation and exposition on-screen.

Second this. I am not sure but this anime feels like FatexMonogatari to me and I like both franchise. People here generally wants a clear, vivid story with A LOT of action.
Mar 5, 2018 10:23 PM

Mar 2017
I was super hyped going into this series.
Shaft has been my favorite studio for a while, I quite like the fate franchise, and Nero is my favorite servant.

So why aren't I enjoying this show nearly as much as I had hoped?

I get that it isn't meant to be a battle royale like other series, but I don't think that the action elements are the only thing lacking in this show.
The battles are few and far between but thats ok I guess.
The problem is that almost nothing else that is happening in the show is interesting me.
Arrive on floor, find master, figure out how to beat master, beat the master.
I hope the plot can become more interesting than this. The whole "world is messed up" deal isn't cutting it for me. It's a bit difficult for me to explain why I don't really like what I'm seeing, but simply put it's just been unengaging.

Being disappointed in this show is hugely saddening to me.
I really like the soundtrack
I really really like seeing Nero in animation
I like the character designs
I don't even particularly care that the MC is totally a blank slate

I won't be dropping this show, and I'm really hoping it's 2 cour so we can see some interesting developments.
But anyway as of now for me it's sitting at like 6.5/10
Seriously hoping to see some improvements.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

119 by bl3nk_anime »»
Apr 23, 12:55 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

210 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

221 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 6:10 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2018

63 by SomeDudeOverHere »»
Apr 12, 10:40 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2018

72 by Selleri_UmU »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.