Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 8, 9:05 AM
Mar 2022
there is absolutely no similarities to SAO at all whatsoever besides the protagonist being op. OVERLORD isn't a trapped in game story like SAO either. the mc and his guild base from the game get sent to a very much real isekai world. its nothing to do with the game anymore. the only reason things from the game are even in the Isekai world are because players have been sent there in the past.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 8, 9:09 AM

Mar 2013
Uhh, we don't. 😳🥲
SAO = Video Game
Overlord = Isekai
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jan 8, 9:11 AM

Jan 2017
arc1only said:
Why do people compare this show to SAO?

They are both 2 of the most popular Video Game Animes released not too far apart, with OP protagonist trapped in the game they played...
While they are obviously not identical, they are close enough to get recommended/compared as a similar show.

You can read the arguments of the users here : https://myanimelist.net/recommendations/anime/11757-29803
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Jan 8, 9:12 AM
Mar 2022
Alexioos95 said:
arc1only said:
Why do people compare this show to SAO?

They are both 2 of the most popular Video Game Animes released not too far apart, with OP protagonist trapped in the game they played...
While they are obviously not identical, they are close enough to get recommended/compared as a similar show.

You can read the arguments of the users here : https://myanimelist.net/recommendations/anime/11757-29803

did you read my original comment at all?
Jan 8, 9:14 AM

Jan 2017
arc1only said:

Yeah, and your point literally is "SAO IS NOT AN ISEKAIIII!!!!!!"...
So ? As i said, they have enough similarities in the plot/setting to get compared and recommended between each other.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jan 8, 9:17 AM
Aug 2021
i know that you like Overlord, but It has similarities with Sao, you like It or not.
Jan 8, 9:21 AM
Nov 2022
Alexioos95 said:
arc1only said:

So ? As i said, they have enough similarities in the plot/setting to get compared and recommended between each other.

He makes a thread and asks people if they’ve read the thread when you’ve already written a opinion because you read it in the first place. Isn’t that ironic.
Jan 8, 9:21 AM
Dec 2022
arc1only said:
there is absolutely no similarities to SAO at all whatsoever besides the protagonist being op. OVERLORD isn't a trapped in game story like SAO either. the mc and his guild base from the game get sent to a very much real isekai world. its nothing to do with the game anymore. the only reason things from the game are even in the Isekai world are because players have been sent there in the past.

yeah, it actually happens a lot. whenever people say SAO is an isekai, it pisses me off. if its an isekai, what about Bofuri and Infinite Dendrogram?
Jan 8, 9:28 AM
Aug 2021
Pablo_Neruda1 said:
arc1only said:

yeah, it actually happens a lot. whenever people say SAO is an isekai, it pisses me off. if its an isekai, what about Bofuri and Infinite Dendrogram?

Bro do you know what Isekai Is? and by definition SAO Is and isekai.

isekai= characters being trasported from their everyday world to another world, often a fantastic or virtual reality setting.

Bofuri isnt an isekai because She can go back to his everyday Life without problems and consequences, so you are factually wrong
Jan 8, 9:30 AM
Mar 2022
Buny0058 said:
Alexioos95 said:

He makes a thread and asks people if they’ve read the thread when you’ve already written a opinion because you read it in the first place. Isn’t that ironic.

what's ironic is the guy says "with OP
protagonist trapped in the game they played.." when It's not
Jan 8, 9:32 AM
Dec 2022
SuntProstMare said:
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

isekai= characters being trasported from their everyday world to another world, often a fantastic or virtual reality setting.

Bofuri isnt an isekai because She can go back to his everyday Life without problems and consequences, so you are factually wrong

SAO was initially an isekai because they were trapped, yes, makes sense but it didn't stay that way but I get you.
Jan 8, 9:32 AM
Mar 2022
SuntProstMare said:
i know that you like Overlord, but It has similarities with Sao, you like It or not.

I've watched around 3 seasons of SAO. it's alright at best. I've read all 16 novels of OVERLORD and still fail to see how people are calling them nearly identical enough to be compared.
Jan 8, 9:34 AM
Nov 2018
I never once compared SAO to Overlord. To be honest, I have never heard other people compare the two either.
Jan 8, 9:36 AM
Aug 2021
arc1only said:
SuntProstMare said:

I've watched around 3 seasons of SAO. it's alright at best. I've read all 16 novels of OVERLORD and still fail to see how people are calling them nearly identical enough to be compared.

identical no, but have some similarities, both In a fantasy world, a game world, with an harem(kinda), bot OP in their verse(kirito not too much), and initially trying to escape this world, Overlord>>>> Bcs of world Building, but still, having the same genre and settings can give ppl the same impression.
Jan 8, 9:37 AM
Aug 2021
Pablo_Neruda1 said:
SuntProstMare said:

SAO was initially an isekai because they were trapped, yes, makes sense but it didn't stay that way but I get you.

to SAO i mean S1, you are right for the rest, It shifted the focus on other story( i didnt Watch them because i dropped, i watched S1 and S2)
Jan 8, 9:37 AM
Dec 2022
SuntProstMare said:
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

to SAO i mean S1, you are right for the rest, It shifted the focus on other story( i didnt Watch them because i dropped, i watched S1 and S2)

very well then. I get you.
Jan 8, 9:38 AM
Mar 2022
SuntProstMare said:
arc1only said:

identical no, but have some similarities, both In a fantasy world, a game world, with an harem(kinda), bot OP in their verse(kirito not too much), and initially trying to escape this world, Overlord>>>> Bcs of world Building, but still, having the same genre and settings can give ppl the same impression.

I can see where your coming from but I wouldn't really say OVERLORD is a harem. it's also not a game world either. Ainz isn't looking to go back to his world, he just wants to find his friends.
Jan 8, 9:54 AM
Feb 2022
i've never seen anyone comparing both shows
Jan 8, 10:23 AM

Feb 2019
Both are overrated with loads of wasted potential so it checks out
mlem

Also read Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso wo Kasaneru (Bless Botan)
Jan 8, 10:25 AM
Aug 2023
I watched both but I wouldn't compare them.

The only similarity is both protagonists started out in a game. After the protagonists are "trapped" in the game world that is where the similarities end.

In SAO, they are trying to defeat the game to return to reality, while in Overlord at first the protagonist is exploring the "game" world and later decides to rule it.
Jan 8, 10:51 AM
Nov 2019
SuntProstMare said:
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

Yeah same thing happens with sao cause the mc comes back to the real world multiple times so what are YOU talking about? At first he is trapped but ends up being able to get out sure the majority of the story takes place in the game worlds but that isn’t isekai since it’s just a virtual world. Overlord is an isekai cause he literally can’t go to his original world
Jan 8, 10:58 AM
Jan 2022
I've never heard of anyone comparing overlord with sao
Jan 8, 11:09 AM
Mar 2023
arc1only said:
Buny0058 said:

forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure in SAO Kirito was trapped in Swort Art Online in which he beta tested and Ainz got trapped in a game in which he played with his friends
Jan 8, 11:20 AM
Nov 2019
SuntProstMare said:
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

You’re technically wrong.

Any parallel world concept is considered isekai. Yes, Kamen Rider Decade IS an isekai show, despite the mc being able to go back to any worlds at any time.

Unable to go back ISN’T part of the isekai thing. Certain demon lord saving his previous life in Japan also doesn’t make the show not an isekai.

Isekai can also be something else rather than fantasy, like having a war with the Allies, or going to school with people from three other worlds.

I have to admit that Overlord and SAO have similarities, but NOT because SAO is an isekai show. Saying SAO is isekai also means Accel World would be isekai, which obviously isn’t.

One more thing in case you don’t know, tensei can be either isekai or not isekai while isekai can be either tensei or not tensei.
Jan 8, 11:23 AM
Mar 2022
ShinoAlter said:

the show is kind of sure sure. the Light Novel is peak fiction. the show just cuts out an insane amount of stuff, summarizes everything with rushed episodes, subpar animation, and horrid CGI.
Jan 8, 11:24 AM
Mar 2022
BlueFlame3174 said:
arc1only said:

forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure in SAO Kirito was trapped in Swort Art Online in which he beta tested and Ainz got trapped in a game in which he played with his friends

look at my original thread paragraph
Jan 8, 11:29 AM
Mar 2023
arc1only said:
BlueFlame3174 said:

look at my original thread paragraph

yeah that's fair but I guess you can at least still call it an isekai with an OP main character, tho personally I think comparing Overlord to Slime would be way more fair
Jan 8, 11:31 AM
Nov 2019
BlueFlame3174 said:
arc1only said:

Bruh Ainz wasn’t trapped in the game he played. He got summoned because dragon lords in the New World tried to get rare items through time and space, which also sucked players and guilds because those were where most world class items located. New World and Yggdrasil are two different things.
Jan 8, 11:59 AM
Aug 2021
DoctorBryce said:
SuntProstMare said:

Yeah same thing happens with sao cause the mc comes back to the real world multiple times so what are YOU talking about? At first he is trapped but ends up being able to get out sure the majority of the story takes place in the game worlds but that isn’t isekai since it’s just a virtual world. Overlord is an isekai cause he literally can’t go to his original world

you definetly didnt read what I said, also because I already talked that i am considerino S1, so i dont care about the others 57 seasons+films, so you dont have voice in this discussion
Jan 8, 12:01 PM
Aug 2021
HaruyukiIsCute said:
SuntProstMare said:

Any parallel world concept is considered isekai. Yes, Kamen Rider Decade IS an isekai show, despite the mc being able to go back to any worlds at any time.

Unable to go back ISN’T part of the isekai thing. Certain demon lord saving his previous life in Japan also doesn’t make the show not an isekai.

Isekai can also be something else rather than fantasy, like having a war with the Allies, or going to school with people from three other worlds.

I have to admit that Overlord and SAO have similarities, but NOT because SAO is an isekai show. Saying SAO is isekai also means Accel World would be isekai, which obviously isn’t.

One more thing in case you don’t know, tensei can be either isekai or not isekai while isekai can be either tensei or not tensei.

you didnt read, isekai= from everyday world to another world, so SAO Is an isekai, accel world isnt, because the MC can in any time go to the real world, but SAO in S1 cant, go find Better things to do
Jan 8, 12:02 PM
Aug 2021
HaruyukiIsCute said:
BlueFlame3174 said:

Bruh Ainz wasn’t trapped in the game he played. He got summoned because dragon lords in the New World tried to get rare items through time and space, which also sucked players and guilds because those were where most world class items located. New World and Yggdrasil are two different things.

It isnt something the anime covered, and also yes he was summoned, means he goes in another world, with your definition you arent considering 70% of anime where the MC Is trasported
Jan 8, 12:55 PM
Nov 2019
SuntProstMare said:
HaruyukiIsCute said:

you didnt read, isekai= from everyday world to another world, so SAO Is an isekai, accel world isnt, because the MC can in any time go to the real world, but SAO in S1 cant, go find Better things to do

I did read, but as I said, that’s incorrect. The mc can go from daily life to another very similar daily life, and still considered isekai, as long as it’s in another world. I named Kamen Rider because it’s a good example.
Jan 8, 12:58 PM
Jun 2022
Well guys I say leave those stupid fans & let us enjoy the present "Shangri-La Frontier" I think everyone should give it a try if you love video games & Isekai🍻
Jan 8, 1:00 PM
Nov 2019
SuntProstMare said:
HaruyukiIsCute said:

It isnt something the anime covered, and also yes he was summoned, means he goes in another world, with your definition you arent considering 70% of anime where the MC Is trasported

I didn’t say summoned isn’t transported. I know they’re the same. But I’m saying it’s different from being trapped in a game like SAO.
SAO is characters being trapped in something. That’s not summoning.
Ainz got summoned means he’s not in the game he played.
Jan 8, 1:29 PM

Feb 2019
arc1only said:
ShinoAlter said:

the show is kind of sure sure. the Light Novel is peak fiction. the show just cuts out an insane amount of stuff, summarizes everything with rushed episodes, subpar animation, and horrid CGI.

Didn’t read the LN, don’t plan to.

I’m only talking about the anime, because I’m not a fan of unironically shitting on stuff I haven’t seen.
mlem

Also read Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso wo Kasaneru (Bless Botan)
Jan 8, 3:02 PM
Oct 2014
I've never seen anyone compare overlord with... with SAO.
The only real thing they share is a game based Isekai background.
From the out set Ains and the edgelord Kirito are completely different, personality, appearance and power to name a few.
The supporting characters are infinitely more diverse and interesting in Overlord.
Overlords story is considerably deeper and more interesting, even Log Horizon, which is the anime more similar to SAO in story is leagues better.
Jan 8, 3:05 PM
Feb 2022
First time I've heard of this one mate.
Didn't even thought of it as the same in any way.
Jan 8, 3:58 PM
Jun 2023
nobody compares Sao to overlord. only similarity is video game genre
Jan 8, 4:47 PM
Jan 2022
Alexioos95 said:
arc1only said:

they aren't similar. sao isn't in the isekai genre, soa you have clear levels overlord it's an actual world
Jan 8, 8:37 PM

Jan 2017
Reevansingh21 said:
they aren't similar. sao isn't in the isekai genre, soa you have clear levels overlord it's an actual world

Uh... so for you, there is only 2 types of Animes : Isekai and Not Isekai ? So you think Sword Art Online is closer to Naruto because they are not Isekais, than to Overload and its Game element and characters ? I sure hope you stays away from the recommendation of the site...

The Isekai/Not Isekai element is just a very tiny and unimportant one of the many plot devices of these 2 stories. They are not what you should base your comparison/recommendation on. That's like saying Mirai Nikki and Naruto are the same because there is a pink haired character in it, that's straight up stupid.
Alexioos95Jan 8, 8:41 PM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jan 8, 8:43 PM
Jan 2022
Alexioos95 said:
Reevansingh21 said:

Uh... so for you, there is only 2 types of Animes : Isekai and Not Isekai ? So you think Sword Art Online is closer to Naruto because they are not Isekais, than to Overload and its Game element and characters ? I sure hope you stays away from the recommendation of the site...

The Isekai/Not Isekai element is just a very tiny and unimportant one of the many plot devices of these 2 stories. They are not what you should base your comparison/recommendation on. That's like saying Mirai Nikki and Naruto are the same because there is a pink haired character in it, that's straight up stupid.

they never publicly stated or said in any official document that sao is an isekai if it doesn't have an isekai tag that it isn't one sao is action adventure Science fiction no website or wiki has ever put the isekai tag in sao why would sao be similar to naruto different genres of anime
Jan 8, 8:47 PM

Jan 2017
Reevansingh21 said:
they never publicly stated or said in any official document that sao is an isekai if it doesn't have an isekai tag that it isn't one sao is action adventure Science fiction no website or wiki has ever put the isekai tag in sao

Did i ever said the opposite ? You seems oddly obsessed with Isekai.

Reevansingh21 said:
why would sao be similar to naruto different genres of anime

So for you, Sword Art Online is not similar to Overload because they are not Isekais despite all their similarities, but it's not like Naruto either because they are "different genres of Anime"...

So you are only half coherent... ?
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jan 8, 8:50 PM
Jan 2022
Alexioos95 said:
Reevansingh21 said:
they never publicly stated or said in any official document that sao is an isekai if it doesn't have an isekai tag that it isn't one sao is action adventure Science fiction no website or wiki has ever put the isekai tag in sao

Reevansingh21 said:

So for you, Sword Art Online is not similar to Overload because they are not Isekais despite all their similarities, but it's not like Naruto either because they are "different genres of Anime"...

there no youtube videos that has sao similar to overlord not one video has sao in any category for an isekai in sao s1 they were actual players in overlord there is only one player of all characters in overlord are npcs not actual players
Jan 8, 8:51 PM
Jan 2022
Alexioos95 said:
Reevansingh21 said:

Reevansingh21 said:

overlord has an isekai tag sao doesn't
Jan 8, 8:59 PM

Jan 2017
Reevansingh21 said:
there no youtube videos that has sao similar to overlord

Looking for recommendation from YouTuber is already a bad idea per se... but aight, here it is, literally the 2nd video i looked up has it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdGwNXqi7Ec

You can also look at the recommendation of the users of MAL : https://myanimelist.net/recommendations/anime/11757-29803

Reevansingh21 said:
not one video has sao in any category for an isekai

So ? That's only one of the plot device. No one care if it's Isekai or not, what they search is a story with the same predominent setting (Video Game).

Oh, and Isekai is not a Genre per se, it's only a sub-genre of Fantasy, just like Dark Fantasy.
MAL didn't even had the tag before, and added it only because users really wanted it. You can see that Overload didn't had the tag before either : https://web.archive.org/web/20160326191555/https://myanimelist.net/anime/29803/Overlord
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jan 8, 8:59 PM

Mar 2012
Let's remember that this is the forum for the first season of the anime... and that it is also easy to simply go to read the reason for the recommendations in MAL.

In general no one compares these two series...
Jan 8, 9:09 PM
Jan 2022
Alexioos95 said:
Reevansingh21 said:

Looking for recommendation from YouTuber is already a bad idea per se... but aight, here it is, literally the 2nd video i looked up has it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdGwNXqi7Ec

You can also look at the recommendation of the users of MAL : https://myanimelist.net/recommendations/anime/11757-29803

Reevansingh21 said:

So ? That's only one of the plot device. No one care if it's Isekai or not, what they search is a story with the same predominent setting (Video Game).

Oh, and Isekai is not a Genre per se, it's only a sub-genre of Fantasy, just like Dark Fantasy.
MAL didn't even had the tag before, and added it only because users really wanted it. You can see that Overload didn't had the tag before either : https://web.archive.org/web/20160326191555/https://myanimelist.net/anime/29803/Overlord

most ppl look for isekai tag there are ppl who watch the genre tag for isekai, and others don't. most ppl do I go off recommendations in mal srry either tiktok or youtube
Jan 8, 9:11 PM
Jan 2022
Alexioos95 said:
Reevansingh21 said:

Reevansingh21 said:

they always had the isekai tag when searching for it online there are lot of animes that mal doesn't put all the genre tags in
Jan 8, 9:12 PM
Jan 2022
Reevansingh21 said:
Alexioos95 said:

they always had the isekai tag when searching for it online there are lot of animes that mal doesn't put all the genre tags in

bruh what you talking bout the link has overlord isekai in the genre tag
Jan 8, 9:15 PM
Jan 2022
Reevansingh21 said:
Reevansingh21 said:

bruh what you talking bout the link has overlord isekai in the genre tag

just because isekai is a subgenre doesn't mean it isn't a genre it's still a genre of anime
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

434 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 2, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2015

405 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2015

332 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

371 by hanakocheeks »»
Aug 31, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2015

253 by MrList »»
Jun 28, 3:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.