Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 18, 2021 7:46 AM
Sep 2021
IDK much about the further seasons , S1 was an "ok" . Like it was a good concept , but NGL s2 was a huge disappointment ( alteast for me ). I actually dropped it , so I cant literally say how bad or good this show was . I also heard that S# was pretty good . So what are your honest opinions on SAO (a non spoiler review will be appreciated)
Oct 18, 2021 7:59 AM
Jan 2021
Yes, it is overhated.
Oct 18, 2021 8:01 AM
Jan 2021
animeforlife808 said:
IDK much about the further seasons , S1 was an "ok" . Like it was a good concept , but NGL s2 was a huge disappointment ( alteast for me ). I actually dropped it , so I cant literally say how bad or good this show was . I also heard that S# was pretty good . So what are your honest opinions on SAO (a non spoiler review will be appreciated)
I think people hate on the anime to much second season defenaly was bad but the next seasons are pretty solid a bit rushed but defenaly wurth your time
Oct 18, 2021 8:03 AM
Sep 2021
so
Probs said:
animeforlife808 said:
I think people hate on the anime to much second season defenaly was bad but the next seasons are pretty solid a bit rushed but defenaly wurth your time
so is it a good idea to continue watching it or better to drop it ?
Oct 18, 2021 8:06 AM
Jan 2021
animeforlife808 said:
so
Probs said:
You should continue if you dislike the second season that much you can just skip it nothing that important happened anyway
Oct 18, 2021 8:08 AM
Jan 2021
Probs said:
animeforlife808 said:
so
You should continue if you dislike the second season that much you can just skip it nothing that important happened anyway
you can read an review or something like that to get the most important parts
Oct 18, 2021 8:21 AM

Aug 2020
First 2 seasons are shit but the rest range from decent to pretty good
Oct 18, 2021 8:29 AM
Nov 2020
Yes it’s over hated I actually enjoyed sao first season a lot and I do admit that the other seasons were not as good but they weren’t terrible I still enjoyed them.
Oct 18, 2021 8:30 AM

Apr 2020
Yes it's overhated, ngl I've seen a lot of people say "Second season was really bad"
Oct 18, 2021 8:50 AM
Jul 2020
Well,I thought first half of s1 is pretty good,which is aincrad arc. After that,it just incest and rape nonsense arc. S2 is boring 'cause they suddenly add one more waifu into kirito harem,make him crossdressing,and second half,kirito is not even the mc anymore. S3 quite good,but they're using "power" too much,make me miss pure sword fight. WoU is actually pretty exciting with war and all. You should give alicization arc a try,at least the war of underworld pt2.
Zac22Oct 18, 2021 8:55 AM
Oct 18, 2021 8:51 AM

Sep 2018
Sao is overhated, but that is because it is not for everyone.
Oct 18, 2021 8:53 AM
Jan 2021
I think SAO is pretty good over all I don’t even hate season two I just think it’s pretty mid/ok alicazation is a bit slow but the story and animation and fights are amazing and the first season the one that started it all was good and intriguing this is one of the most overrated series and that’s what I have to say about SAO
Oct 18, 2021 9:13 AM
Jul 2020
Overhated. Season 3 is great.
Oct 18, 2021 9:19 AM
Jul 2018
I honestly think it's overhated. I honestly thought the story was pretty good. I don't care much
about Kirito. But I think a lot of people hate it just because he's a self-insert character.
Oct 18, 2021 9:51 AM
May 2021
Everyone has ther own opinion.
For example I liked every season more or less the same.
Oct 18, 2021 10:04 AM
Dec 2020
I don't understand how people say season 2 was worse tee a disappointment compared to season 1 when I honestly think besides the excalibur arc, season 2 was far more impactful and emotional compared to season 1.
Oct 18, 2021 10:06 AM
Shirayuki-Fan
Jul 2020
Everything Is bad in sao.
Oct 18, 2021 10:08 AM
Mar 2021
SAO is overhated. I know that everyone has their own opinion but if you didn't watched SAO you should give it a try:

S1:
The 1st half 'Aincrad Arc' is really good. And we'll get soon movies called 'Progressive' based on LN that covers most of the skipped parts in TV series.
The other half 'Fairy Dance Arc' is kinda messed up but it's still somewhat good.
S2:
The 'Phantom Bullet Arc' is fine.
The 'Mother's Rosario Arc' is good one.
Between S2 and S3:
You should definitely watch 'Ordinal Scale movie' which is great and you'll find here lot characters and certain device that will appear later in series.
S3-4
'Alicization Arc' is great and maybe a bit rushed. Lots of people don't know/realize it because they dropped this anime at start of S2.
Oct 18, 2021 10:31 AM

Jan 2021
I have extremely mixed feelings on SAO. For the most part, it is a forgettable one time watch, which I did partly enjoy. But there are some exceptions. If I were to go by Arcs,

Season 1 had Aincrad and Alfheim arcs. Now Aincrad was pretty much just there, but Alfheim was sorta ambitious with its 'pseudo-harem' approach. Still, I didn't have any problems with S1, but there wasn't anything that blew me away either.

Season 2 had Death Gun, Calibur and Mother's Rosario arcs as far as I recall. Death Gun had Sinon, who imo, is the show's best girl. Her trauma and coping mechanisms were well thought out. But the overall arc felt stretched out. Calibur arc, which ofc, is pretty much filler was still pretty decent. Tbh anything involving Excalibur is my thing cause I'm a major mythology junkie, and the Arthurian Legend is one of my favourites.
Mother's Rosario tho. Made me cry like a bitch. Yuuki is undoubtedly one of my favourite SAO characters. The writing felt fresh and more immersive. Overall, while I wasn't very impressed with Deathgun arc, the other two managed to leave an impact.
Ordinal Scale was also just kinda there, wasn't particularly interested in the plot, but the insert songs and final battle made up for it.

Onto Alicization. Oh boy, this is a tough cookie. For the sake of convenience, let's call the two halves Beginning and War of Underworld. So the first installment in Alicization is peak SAO for me.

WoU tho. Words cannot justify the disappointment I felt watching WoU S2/P2.

TL;DR - Mother's Rosario and Alicization Beginning were fantastic, War of Underworld Sucks big time, rest isn't anything very good but definitely nothing bad either.
Oct 18, 2021 10:44 AM

Jul 2015
Since it is one of the most popular series worldwide, due to the level of quality it offers, it's heavily overrated.

Oct 18, 2021 10:52 AM
May 2021
Lmao yes it is... people just start hating on this literally for no reason just because some other gyus hating and talking shit About makes them also hate this series like... really bro?? ik this is not legendary or one of the peakest anime out there but this hate.. literally Sao doesn't deserve this much hate
Oct 18, 2021 10:56 AM
Jan 2020
I don't know if it's overhated but for me it was a huge disappointment after I watched Aot, HxH, Brotherhood and Vinland Saga. Maybe I would have liked it more when I watched other animes before but the story, animation, character development and character interaction were far worse and less detailled then those animes.
But I also think there are far more worse animes but I will never watch those.
Oct 18, 2021 11:03 AM

Jul 2017
idk where you are seeing this hate but its pretty much deserved since its a dissapointing dumpster fire
Oct 18, 2021 11:48 AM
Jan 2021
Hey, sao was my first anime so s1 it was ok for me but I get why some people didn't like it. S2 for me it wasn't bad just a bit boring. S3 has good quality and its a bit sad but also a bit boring. But then comes s4 or the alicization arc and this is just a masterpiece in my opinion. How they introduce the new characters the quality gets REALLY good its interesting the fights are good. S5 or war of underworld for me it was a 7/10 bcs I was watching it while it was being released and in my opinion they let kirito wake up way too late. S6 or war of underworld part2 i think was really good its constant fighting a bit sad but the ending felt pretty weird at first. Bcs kirito goes back to alicization and there are weird aliens and people are flying in spaceships but I am really interested in how this will continue overall I do think sao is overhated when you look at comments saying sao is shit whil they either haven't watched the anime or only watched s1 and quit at s2 like it was an anime from around 2013-2014 I think dont expect a masterpiece. I think sao was good looking at the release dates
Oct 18, 2021 11:53 AM
Feb 2021
No, the hate is right, especially compared to the absurd popularity of the show
Oct 18, 2021 12:02 PM

Jul 2020
SAO is one of the most overhated anime in my opinion. Although I get the points made about S1 and S2, I never thought they were as bad as people say they were. That being said throwing S3 in the mix changes everything. The amount of times I’ve heard people say SAO is trash while only seeing S1 is crazy. S3 changes the whole atmosphere of the show along with the 10/10 new animation and great story. Overall, I’d highly recommend SAO, but only if you’re ready to watch until S3, bc you’ll enjoy it the most this way.
Oct 18, 2021 12:09 PM
Aug 2020
Most definitely over-hated, season 1 was pretty good until… if you know you know. Season 2 was meh. But season 3 was when it really picks up, I genuinely enjoyed season 3, and hope the next season is just as good.
Oct 18, 2021 12:16 PM
Oct 2020
This is how I would rate the individual arcs:
Aincrad 7/10
Fairy dance 1/10
Phantom bullet 6/10
Mother's rosario 8/10
Alicization 6/10
War of underworld 5/10
Oct 18, 2021 5:16 PM
Jul 2021
animeforlife808 said:

I loved season 1 and 2 but Alicization and war of the underworld I couldn’t really get into. I didn’t like Alicization Bc it didn’t have a lot of kiritos friends it was mostly just the ai inside the game. I didn’t like war of the underworld Bc it was really repetitive and they were on the same battlefield for 90% of the entire season so it kind of got boring.
Oct 18, 2021 5:48 PM
Jan 2021
Personally it's my favorite anime. Does it have some downfalls? Yes it does but I don't think they make it bad like everyone says.
Oct 18, 2021 7:01 PM
Dec 2020
I feel like everyone has at one point watched sao and just agreed that it’s isekai trash. I’m not saying it is just that it’s what most people would say if you asked “what did you think of sao” or something like that
Oct 18, 2021 7:58 PM
Sep 2021
I couldn’t get through season 2 to see how the rest of it was. Tried three times and it just could never do it for me.
Oct 19, 2021 1:23 AM
Feb 2021
-Flaky- said:
I feel like everyone has at one point watched sao and just agreed that it’s isekai trash. I’m not saying it is just that it’s what most people would say if you asked “what did you think of sao” or something like that
So you really believe every people of this world called SAO trash than why is so popular and why does it have huge fandom and Why does it keep getting new season, movie, games, LN, Spin Off? In addition to that all of those things sells crazily. If is trashed by everyone than why is that the case, shouldn't it be other way around? Just curious with your opinion of everyone agreeing on it being trash. There are people who hates SAO but they are just vocal minority and does not even count anything to the majority given the success of SAO.
Oct 19, 2021 4:02 AM
Dec 2020
Abysmal_Saint76 said:
-Flaky- said:
So you really believe every people of this world called SAO trash than why is so popular and why does it have huge fandom and Why does it keep getting new season, movie, games, LN, Spin Off? In addition to that all of those things sells crazily. If is trashed by everyone than why is that the case, shouldn't it be other way around? Just curious with your opinion of everyone agreeing on it being trash. There are people who hates SAO but they are just vocal minority and does not even count anything to the majority given the success of SAO.

I’m not saying it’s trash cuz the first time I watched it I really liked it being the first isekai I watched. I’m just saying I’ve met people who have watched it but just say it is trash and still keep watching the seasons anyway. I don’t get it but idk maybe it’s like they’re compelled to say it’s trash even if it isn’t
Oct 19, 2021 4:57 AM
Dec 2020
Yes and no,the hate for the bad arcs:Fairy Dance,Phantom Bullet,Excalibur,Ordinal Scale(this one is only IMO),Kirito part of Alicization and the 2nd half of WoU are ok and im ok with the hate for those arcs,but for the good one Aincrad(dont think its that good but if i said it was bad the fanboy gonna kill me),Mother Rosario,Eugeo part of Alicization and 1st half of SAO doesnt deserve the hate and only being hated bc it named SAO
Oct 19, 2021 5:11 AM
Feb 2021
-Flaky- said:
Abysmal_Saint76 said:

I’m not saying it’s trash cuz the first time I watched it I really liked it being the first isekai I watched. I’m just saying I’ve met people who have watched it but just say it is trash and still keep watching the seasons anyway. I don’t get it but idk maybe it’s like they’re compelled to say it’s trash even if it isn’t
That is ridiculous to be honest. How can someone still watch the show they call it trash, I would rather move on from it and enjoy other things.
Oct 19, 2021 7:15 AM

Jul 2021
The first 2 seasons are actually awful and deserve their hate but Alicization is really good, the best SAO imo. The series goes downhill again in War Of Underworld, especially the 2nd one, probably the worst thing ever happened in this franchise.
AronicsOct 19, 2021 7:29 AM
Oct 19, 2021 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think so. imo, SAO isn't just an anime with a lot of problems but a very popular and loved one. The hate is proportional to its popularity.
As a "hater", I enjoyed SAO the first time I watched it (it was my first anime) but after time I realized it wasn't...that good.
Oct 19, 2021 8:47 AM
Jun 2015
animeforlife808 said:
i think it gets more hate bcuz of the fanbase. it's just like friends for me. it's an ok, mediocre show, but it's fanbase which worships it, gets annoying when they blabber about it in ur ear lol
Oct 19, 2021 9:34 AM
Dec 2020
Abysmal_Saint76 said:
-Flaky- said:

That is ridiculous to be honest. How can someone still watch the show they call it trash, I would rather move on from it and enjoy other things.

*real life tsundere but with anime*
Oct 19, 2021 9:38 AM
Jul 2018
S1 was good, wasnt expecting Aincrad arc to end so quickly tho
I thought it was gonna be spread out across the whole season but it was only half the season
But Aincrad is totally iconic and i liked it

I enjoyed the Fairy Dance arc, especially the appearance of Suguha/Leafa

I'm currently on the Phantom Bullet arc and i really like Sinon and her backstory
Kirito's avatar being a girl is really funny
Oct 19, 2021 3:01 PM
Jul 2021
Having watched all of the seasons of sword art online i must say No, It's not "overhated". Thats the short answer.Go on with your life and now an unbiased answer for those who'd wanna know why.
Season 1 : It was a good season with enough gravity to the plot that made it watchable. Ofcourse it was generic and campy but it was good /average nonetheless.
Season 2 : I must say i digged season 2 more as personally i love fps was really stoked to see them inculcate that into the series with a few really good episodes and a good plot the season was a fair sequel. Yes ofcourse they had to do the harem thing but you can get away with it. The worst thing you could've accused SAO of uptill now would be mediocrity and being uncreative.
Alicization I : I was blown away by the animation and the season was actually good uptill the end until it started to show its true colours ofcourse it was the same campy sao with a new skin but atleast it looked better.
Alicizatiom II: This is where it all crumbles down. Where it all goes wrong. Its like watching the final season you could finally see what was wrong with sao this whole time. Seriously i try to judge an anime for what it is not what it should be. But to say that SAO dropped the ball would be a compliment. This season sucked so much ass it makes season 1 look like a nolan movie. This seasons writing, plot, story, characters everything sucked so much ass it literally became sentient. One thing i loved about SAO was i could always watch another episode because it was so campy (sorry my vocabulary sucks ass) i kinda loved that but here i just could even get through half an episode because it was so lazily written. I have never felt such letdown by an anime ever. This ending made me lose all my love for SAO.
Conclusion:
Putting aside alicization though. SAO is a broken mess .You may love it, cherish it or like it. But you cant deny it was kinda trash. And thats okay cuz it never was meant to be a diamond. Just an enjoyable show which ticked all boxes for a cheesy anime. Also yes i stole that quote from dunkey if you're wondering
Oct 19, 2021 3:08 PM

Apr 2020
Absolutely yes. SAO not bad as people say, but is not masterpiece anime, the problem is the brutal fall from one arc to another.
Oct 19, 2021 7:23 PM
Jun 2021
Over hated yeah. I didn't like it very much because Kirito got too strong too fast. I know he did the beta test but it took away the experience of seeing him get strong/stronger.
Oct 19, 2021 11:11 PM
Feb 2021
SAO doesn’t get better than the first season, SAO alternative is a pretty good one tho
Oct 23, 2021 9:25 AM
Jan 2011
Over hated? I don't think it is it has a above 7 score on here which is more than it deserves imo.
Oct 24, 2021 12:01 AM
Mar 2021
just don’t even bother watching it. It’s trash. Overheated? It’s a meme to hate sao at this point. It’s not the shittiest anime ever but it’s just bad.
Oct 24, 2021 12:02 AM
Mar 2021
Isadotira said:
Absolutely yes. SAO not bad as people say, but is not masterpiece anime, the problem is the brutal fall from one arc to another.
the first arc was bad to begin with

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2012

705 by amf85 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2012

686 by amf85 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2012

745 by amf85 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.