Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 24, 2011 4:51 PM

May 2010
does anyone else agree that mouryou no hako is one of the most confusing series ever? or is it just me?

Forum mod edit: Clarified title and moved to appropriate discussion board.
KimuraFeb 24, 2011 5:34 PM
Sep 23, 2011 3:08 PM
Aug 2010
A bit hard to follow, yes. You have to use more focus than your avarage anime. But I thought it was a great and complex mystery show and it had a good feeling to it, very eerie and dark. And I like that kinda stuff :)
Oct 12, 2011 11:34 AM

Feb 2009
VivaLaGin said:
"had a good feeling to it, very eerie and dark. And I like that kinda stuff :)"
True, but it's still stupid :)
A fun to watch stupid show to be exact

Some people might think it's not stupid.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Nov 23, 2011 7:06 PM

Jun 2008
very hard to follow. The story was interesting, but somehow predictable. (ok, except the incest part, that was surprising). Awesome art but damn, veryyyyyy slowwwwwwww boring.

Nice bishies and sceneries tough. I believe if they had made the dialogues more fluid, it would have been a masterpiece.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Mar 24, 2013 1:59 PM

Oct 2008
VivaLaGin said:
i think you first need to accept that what they're talking about is really non-sense fantasy logic, after that, it'll be easier to follow.

To clarify this for people who think about watching this...
I assume here that you're implying the dialogues between Kyougokudou and the others about mouryou and whatnot. They aren't talking about nonsensical stuff but rather historical aspects of mouryou and onmyoudou while making parallels to the real world and what's going on in the story.
The other stuff about boxes, shadows, rituals (...) are all specific, relevant to the themes and the atmosphere. I don't see how it's nonsense honestly.
Mar 24, 2013 4:20 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Definitely up there in the confusing shows list.
Mar 24, 2013 4:23 PM

Jun 2009
I think it was because there was a lot of talking and very little action. Especially that one episode where everyone just sits around and talks, that one was a little painful. If there was more story movement by the characters like the did something, especially in the beginning, it might have been stronger.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Dec 23, 2015 4:35 PM

Mar 2008
Confusing .. maybe at first.. but what really did me in from this anime was the slow slooooooow pace .It took me 5X of dropping and picking back up this anime to actually finish it.Which btw took a little over a year. I'm probably gonna wanna watch it straight from chaps1-13 sometime in the future to fully understand it. But the thought of it is just too brutal of a watch lol :)
@PrinceJuicifer@ \(~.~)/
May 24, 2016 6:12 PM

Jul 2011
Yeah I just watched 3 episodes and the way they fragment the story is just too much. It's just complex for the sake of being complex. I'm dropping it.
Jun 23, 2016 9:04 AM

Nov 2013
Contrary to OP here (and I'm not trying to be smart, intelligent or whatever you called it). I do not find Mouryou no Hako confusing, at all. Yes the dialogues could be pretentious and cheesy. Even I as a fan still feels that episode 7 (the second of three man sitting round on a table) a tad to watch. But what I found on the story of Mouryou is actually very intriguing; it is a mystery series about two cases (dismemberment case and the lost of Yuzuki Kanako) that happens at the same time with some creepy Hospital in the forest that looks like a box, simple as that, only that the presentation combined with heavy dialogues could makes misdirect peoples. However the mystery aspect was so well researched and as far as I know I don't hear many people (though no proof for this) complain about the ending because it was very conclusive, I think that's a little bit point it was a succeed as a mystery show.

Regarding the blather about spirits/the origins of Mouryou that ended up didn't relevant to the plot, I think people should note this is adapted from novel. Sometimes there are novel that has a chapter simply dedicated for reference for example one chapter about the profile of random man who (supposed) to be murderer in Agatha Christy's ABC Murder, even though his role on the plot just to make the case more complicated. See that's the way it works here, although people still could say that was unimportant for anime to adapt, for me that what's the way adaptation generally should work; the anime just want to follow the source material.

It certainly not everyone cup of tea but I believe it's a great series tha people may need to try. Plus it has less fanservice too I guess (well except that ending song which full of naked woman).
DannyTheDonkeyJun 23, 2016 10:35 AM
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Aug 8, 2016 1:07 AM

Sep 2014
I think this is one of the those shows where there isn't really a general consensus on how good the show is, and it's pretty much down to personal preference. This is a show that people will either find engaging and interesting with the lengthy dialogue, or will just find it flat out boring. Then again, I guess this mostly applies to all shows.

Rievlyne said:

Plus it has less fanservice too I guess (well except that ending song which full of naked woman).

Funny thing is that the music video for the ED song is similar to the visuals of the ED.
Oct 25, 2017 6:28 PM

Aug 2011
Rievlyne said:
Regarding the blather about spirits/the origins of Mouryou that ended up didn't relevant to the plot, I think people should note this is adapted from novel. Sometimes there are novel that has a chapter simply dedicated for reference for example one chapter about the profile of random man who (supposed) to be murderer in Agatha Christy's ABC Murder, even though his role on the plot just to make the case more complicated. See that's the way it works here, although people still could say that was unimportant for anime to adapt, for me that what's the way adaptation generally should work; the anime just want to follow the source material.

That explains a lot. I was going to say that this series would've worked better as a novel because of the heavy dialogue. Personally, I would've found a novel easier to follow (being able to read at your own pace instead of needing to slow down to the video's). I enjoy thinking anime and don't mind the occasional slow one, I still intend to finish it but my goodness this one is like trudging through mud, it's been difficult.
Nov 4, 2017 8:29 PM

Sep 2017
The main reason watching this was disorienting and a bit frustrating for me was due to the presentation, not so much the plot itself. For example, the fact that Sekiguchi is a main character, but is also portrayed as the character in the "Girl in the Box" sketches is super disorienting. Like, it makes sense, he's the guy who reads it (which begs the question; why is it such a surprise to Sekiguchi that the guy who wrote about dismembering girls is the guy who was dismembering girls...?) and is so profoundly affected by the whole thing, but it's still hella confusing for the first third of the show, even if you do catch the text that labels these parts as being from the book. Another example is the reincarnation narrative Kanako comes up with. The show hooks us with this, then doesn't earn it later on. Sure, we find out Kanako was even more troubled in her upbringing than Yoriko, but that doesn't really qualify the strangeness of the reincarnation fantasy and why the two would just go with it.

Also, idk why everyone seems to praise the art, even when they're criticizing the show overall. Did y'all not see those cars? Not to mention the fact that if you set Yoriko or Kanako side-by-side with, say, Kiba or Amemiya, you'd never guess they were from the same anime; Yoriko and Kanako are super moe for no reason when even other minor female characters are not.

All that said, this show was ambitious as hell and I really praise it for its history and thematics. The novel is probably really good.

LordQuazNov 4, 2017 9:27 PM
Mar 10, 2018 12:45 PM
Nov 2015
Rievlyne said:

The supernatural stuff explained in ep 7 is absolutely crucial. Without it, ep 10 when Kyougokudou confronted the sect leader would be totally meaningless. Because the whole meaning of that confrontation is "the real deal" vs "the imposter". If I hadn't seen Kyougokudou displayed such detailed and exhausting knowledge ab mouryou, oni, mythical beasts..., the feeling of seeing the authentic onmyoji would be greatly dampened in ep 10.

Not to mention the minor details of ep 7 actually helped expose the fakeness of the Onbako-sama priest. For ex, what direction is unfavorable for the mouryou, how the way the sect leader arranged the altar is totally wrong, how he didn't know that mouryou is older than oni, how he didn't even know the name of the rite for dispersing evil spirits....
Mar 10, 2018 12:47 PM

Feb 2016
More confusing than Madoka Magica Rebellion? Honestly wtf was that.
Mar 10, 2018 12:58 PM
Nov 2015
LordQuaz said:
Another example is the reincarnation narrative Kanako comes up with. The show hooks us with this, then doesn't earn it later on. Sure, we find out Kanako was even more troubled in her upbringing than Yoriko, but that doesn't really qualify the strangeness of the reincarnation fantasy and why the two would just go with it.

The incarnation part, I just think that is included to show us the mindset of the girls.

Reincarnation, leaving this dirty world for somewhere more pure, it's just stuff that teenage girls dreamed about, maybe through the influence of shoujo manga.

In the show, there are certain prototypical real shoujo manga and early manga artists being referenced. Even the magazine the 2 girls read also serialized manga and girl literature. Now back at those early days, shoujo was mostly idealistic, promising of escape from ordinary world.

It's from all this fiction that Yoriko absorbed, and a wish to have Kanako retain her purity, that Yoriko pushed her into the tracks. She's kinda half crazy.

So the reincarnation stuff is not some plot to bring back the girls from the afterlife in the form of some ghastly monster to make the show interesting, it's just one specific fictional tale that these girls thought up (like many tales that ordinary teens dream ab), by which we can see their state of mind and their defense mechanism against their familial problems.
Mar 10, 2018 2:31 PM

Sep 2017
Sean_Nessman said:
LordQuaz said:
Another example is the reincarnation narrative Kanako comes up with. The show hooks us with this, then doesn't earn it later on. Sure, we find out Kanako was even more troubled in her upbringing than Yoriko, but that doesn't really qualify the strangeness of the reincarnation fantasy and why the two would just go with it.

The incarnation part, I just think that is included to show us the mindset of the girls.

Reincarnation, leaving this dirty world for somewhere more pure, it's just stuff that teenage girls dreamed about, maybe through the influence of shoujo manga.

In the show, there are certain prototypical real shoujo manga and early manga artists being referenced. Even the magazine the 2 girls read also serialized manga and girl literature. Now back at those early days, shoujo was mostly idealistic, promising of escape from ordinary world.

It's from all this fiction that Yoriko absorbed, and a wish to have Kanako retain her purity, that Yoriko pushed her into the tracks. She's kinda half crazy.

So the reincarnation stuff is not some plot to bring back the girls from the afterlife in the form of some ghastly monster to make the show interesting, it's just one specific fictional tale that these girls thought up (like many tales that ordinary teens dream ab), by which we can see their state of mind and their defense mechanism against their familial problems.

Idk, did it really seem like that's all the show wanted you to think about that fantasy? Is "we are the incarnation of each other" not a strangely specific thing to imagine? I agree, it certainly communicates the intense and naive desire the girls have to be alone together and escape their unhappy lives, but I also feel, given the context, the show leads you to believe there's something more to it, and then it turns out their really wasn't.
LordQuazMar 10, 2018 4:41 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 12 Discussion

Mikiyo - Jul 30, 2009

18 by Sun_Chan »»
May 12, 11:25 AM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 9 Discussion

hikky - Dec 24, 2008

19 by Sun_Chan »»
May 12, 10:51 AM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 8 Discussion

noteDhero - Jan 26, 2009

25 by Sun_Chan »»
May 12, 3:36 AM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 7 Discussion

noteDhero - Jan 10, 2009

21 by Sun_Chan »»
May 12, 3:17 AM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 6 Discussion

angel999 - Nov 11, 2008

36 by Sun_Chan »»
May 12, 3:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.