Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 15 16 [17]
Mar 1, 3:22 AM
Jan 2024
I don't feel right
Mar 6, 5:38 PM
Aug 2020
it only gets good after like 18 episodes and the only reason you should watch it is because of the end of evangelion
Mar 11, 11:44 PM

Apr 2016
What an experience!!!! That was incredible!!! Awesome in the literal sense of the word!!! All the feelings and ideas this story was able to convey in 26 episodes total, but especially the last two , were so impactful!!! I'm so surprised at how much I love Neon Genesis Evangelion now hahaha :D

I wouldn't say that I HATED it before, but I definitely didn't think much of it. I did think the animation for episodes 1-24 was pretty stellar, but that's as far it went for me the first time. You don't find out what Gendo's motivations were, the Human Instrumentality Project was confusing, the questions left unanswered bothered the shit outta me. All I really got out of it the first time aside from some bitchin' sci-fi action was an idea of where the "get in the fucking robot" joke came from; if I can't understand why characters are doing what they do in a story or if I don't give a shit about what's going on, all the bombastic visuals in the world won't make me care. So even though I had a huge change of heart, I can still totally understand anyone who doesn't like Neon Genesis Evangelion hahaha :D I've been telling people to NOT watch Evangelion hahaha :p

But damn. I don't know what else to say. I guess I've changed as a person since the first time I watched it (some time after 2015, but before the COVID lockdown I think)? It's kinda weird to think like that cause I don't feel like I've really changed at all, but I do feel different. I know it doesn't make any sense, but that's how I feel. Maybe that's why I enjoy Evangelion so much now, because I get to see the characters struggling with their own mental machinery. I found myself more interested in the characters as people trying to understand themselves than that actual battle between the humans and angels. For me, the battles ended up being more captivating as a stage for the characters to confront thoughts and emotions in an out-of-control environment rather than being about humans winning against monsters. That's why I now love these last two episodes that I previously hated. The last two episodes don't answer any of the questions left after episode 24, but I'm ok with that now cause the overall story was more important as a vehicle for the characters instead of itself. So crazy.

I rewatched Evangelion cause "End of Evangelion" is getting a theatrical release real soon and I wanted a refresher; I remember liking the movie and it being... not abstract hahaha. But damn. I'm so glad a gave Evangelion another try. It now goes down as exceptional in my book. The classification of avant garde for this story and animation is apt :)

People had posted how Shinji, Asuka, Rei, and Misato were faced with their common fear of being alone in the last episode; I missed that. It's gonna be alot of fun keeping an eye out for that on the subsequent viewing :D See you all in the "End of Evangelion" forum! :)
Mar 13, 5:19 AM

Jul 2017
the perfect ending, i don't have words to describe how much i loved this show and these final episodes.
shinji learns that even if he hates himself and think that he has no value, he can still learn to understand and love himself and the world around him.
i'm in tears, an absolute masperpiece that completely deserve a 10/10.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Mar 17, 7:15 AM

Jul 2014
Yep, still my favourite.

To get a little personal, I've been struggling with self-loathing and have just generally been in a deeply negative headspace recently, and the final episode of this show never fails to work as a beautiful reminder of how we can all change for the better and that life's worth living in spite of the hardships that come with struggling to determine who you are. It's not like my feelings are gonna change overnight, but the potential for happiness and fulfillment still exists.

Be good to yourselves, folks. We all only have one shot on this wild ride called life.
LoveLikeBloodMar 17, 7:18 AM
Take care of yourself

Mar 22, 4:20 PM
Feb 2024
AW HELL NAW IM MEANT TO UNDERSTANG SHI-
Apr 5, 10:14 PM

May 2015
I enjoyed this ending, truly. Overall, this is a great anime, although I got more invested only in the second half, the first one was very tedious to watch with some unnecessary episodes. Maybe I'll appreciate them more on rewatch, but that won't be happening anytime soon. Eva was one of the first anime I started watching back in the day, took me 17 years to properly finish it, finally!!! Manga was more engaging, imo. Different, sure, but both have their merits. As for phycological impact, anime ending felt more touching. Can't recall if there are actual changes on that part, or if I'm just in a different mental state currently... Either way, excited to see the movies now. I wonder if there's a version of Evangelion that I'll consider perfect through and through.
Apr 13, 3:14 AM
Jul 2023
I don’t care what y’all say, this is a good episode. Of course, we could have done with some more lore explanation but honestly who cares?? It would have been annoying when it came out, but now we have like 5 movies after this that make these episodes so good! The last few minutes could save lives.
Apr 13, 4:32 PM

Jul 2012
I don't think any final episode for an anime will have as amazing editing as this one. I do feel like you have to be older and more experienced with deeper literature to understand what this ending was doing and the message it was trying to convey. If I watched this when I was a teenager I would have been annoyed and simply said "wtf was that?". My time watching philosophical/experimental art films in college really helped me appreciate this ending. Or at the very least, this was far less challenging to watch than Twin Peaks: The Return.

The experimental endings to 90s anime really make you realize how far anime has fallen as a medium for being anything other than popcorn entertainment.
trumpetnixApr 13, 4:37 PM
Apr 15, 6:17 PM

Mar 2022
Again I’ve said quite a lot in the last episode but the truth of the matter is, even when I’ve just taken a break from all the mind fuckery stuff and trying to just piece everything together it’s still hard for me to swallow all at once or indeed in my case watching the finale back to back with the penultimate episode which quite honestly I don’t think really helped me view the ending to Evangelion as a whole. Again I understand what they are trying to do, I respect people who like this ending and honestly more power to you guys to those who can appreciate the ending but when there’s only limited amounts of animation and there’s a lot of text and the ending itself isn’t conventional in the traditional sense it does mean that I’m trying so hard to keep up with everything but honestly I felt like I was in slow motion a lot of the time and it was just horrifically tedious to say the least. Not to mention that the cast aren’t really moving their lips half the time and it makes it look like they are talking to each other with telepathy in this weird mind palace or inside Shinji’s mind I don’t know it’s psychological stuff and metaphorical to represent a point. I mean even with the limited budget I feel like the animators would’ve still struggled to even come up with something on such a small budget. And there are so many things left unanswered and pretty much just forgotten about that they might as well be an afterthought concerning all the questions that I now have in regards to this show.

Is the ending bad? Yes. Do I not like it in the slightest? Yes but I’m not going to be rabid about it because I’ve had time to think it over. Will I possibly watch the movies for Evangelion like End of Evangelion or Rebuild of Evangelion, etc, etc? Maybe but at the moment I feel I should probably give this franchise a rest because the reason why I’ve haven’t given my thoughts on the finale until now is mainly because I had to recover from all this. Tell me why in the middle of all this introspection stuff do I suddenly have what appears to be an alternative universe where Asuka is apparently a childhood friend of Shinji, Rei’s more emotional than she ever was for the vast majority of the show and just basically turning into a weird slice of life show and then back to the mindfuckery stuff? Just god damn, just god damn what the hell is going on? Regardless of how I feel about the ending, it doesn’t really detract from it being an awesome show, it’s just the fact that the ending suffers mainly just because ill timed planning and thinking which lead to this clusterfuck to begin with. I will say it’s a brilliant, with a great cast, memorable soundtrack and gorgeous animation for the most part and I can see why this anime in question was not like other mecha shows of it’s time. It’s definitely left it’s mark on the anime world and I understand why it’s so popular. I’ll give Evangelion, a 9/10 overall.
Apr 16, 2:49 PM
Feb 2023
OK AH UM THAT WAS UH WOW-
4 hours ago
Apr 2023
Very cool. Shinji’s journey of loving himself this episode was really sweet and good and very relatable for me, so I really felt him. Also the slice-of-life part was adorable. Kinda sucks that the ending of the show is not the ending of the story which will be in the movie, but still a sweet ending.
Pages (17) « First ... « 15 16 [17]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Yesterday, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Yesterday, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.