Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 24, 2009 12:47 AM

Sep 2008
Please see the club front page for instructions on how to vote.

Compilation (zip format): http://sharebee.com/142bccd3

[STREAM] [DDL] 5 Centimeters Per Second - Sora to Umi no Shi
[STREAM] [DDL] Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight - Seioh Gakuen Kouka
[STREAM] [DDL] End of Evangelion - THANATOS ~if I can't be yours~
[STREAM] [DDL] Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen - In Memories "KO・TO・WA・RI"
[STREAM] [DDL] Bokura ga Ita - Fuan
[STREAM] [DDL] ARIA the NATURAL - Itsuka Kita Michi
[STREAM] [DDL] Love Hina - Yakusoku
[STREAM] [DDL] Cowboy Bebop - Call Me Call Me
[STREAM] [DDL] Romeo X Juliet - Touch / Fureai
[STREAM] [DDL] Giniro no Kami no Agito - Ai no Melody

Notes: The zip file that I put on sharebee contains the best quality versions of the above tracks. For the DDL links, I did have to transcode a few of them to a lower bitrate so that they won't take up a huge amount of my webspace. If you're looking for high-quality versions, use the sharebee link.

Also, the version of "Ai no Melody" that I uploaded is 7 minutes long compared to humbug23's version which is around 5 minutes long.

Let me know if you have issues or if I messed up someplace. Other than that, have fun and vote!

Results:
[12 points] Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen - In Memories "KO・TO・WA・RI" - First Place
[11 points] Romeo X Juliet - Touch / Fureai - Second Place
[10 points] Giniro no Kami no Agito - Ai no Melody - Third Place
[9 points] Cowboy Bebop - Call Me Call Me
[8 points] ARIA the NATURAL - Itsuka Kita Michi
[7 points] Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight - Seioh Gakuen Kouka
[5 points] Love Hina - Yakusoku
[4 points] 5 Centimeters Per Second - Sora to Umi no Shi
[4 points] End of Evangelion - THANATOS ~if I can't be yours~
[2 points] Bokura ga Ita - Fuan

Interesting facts: Ai no Melody didn't get the highest number of votes, but the votes for it were enthusiastic ones, which is why it managed to take third. On the flip side, 7 people gave Seioh Gakuen Kouka a vote, but they were all one-pointers. :3
zzeroparticleMay 31, 2009 12:53 AM
Anime Instrumentality - Anime music news and soundtrack reviews
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 24, 2009 2:00 AM

Nov 2007
I really can't derive love from lyricless songs.

3 points for Thanatos
2 points for Call me Call me
1 point for Seioh Gakuen Kouka
May 24, 2009 5:23 AM
Dec 2007
+3 Ai no melody
+2 5cm
+1 Manabi

Haha you're probably all yelling blasphemy and slander for not giving evangelion, cowboy bebop or kenshin any points :P I think they're just not that appealing to me ahhaha...especially since I didn't watch the first two, and I kinda thought the kenshin one was a little dull =X
May 24, 2009 9:31 AM
Nov 2007
2009digitalboy said:
I really can't derive love from lyricless songs.

3 points for Thanatos
2 points for Call me Call me
1 point for Seioh Gakuen Kouka

pfft, that's cause lyrics are a copout ;)

THIS WEEK WAS HARD

Love Hina +2
Manabi +1
Thanatos +1
Rurouni Kenshin +1
Aria +1
May 24, 2009 1:28 PM

Sep 2007
Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight - Seioh Gakuen Kouka (watched) : this is awesome. The whole concept of loving your school is here and shouldn't be taken lightly. +1

End of Evangelion - THANATOS ~if I can't be yours~ (watched) : sorry, this doesn't sound at all like love. I don't care if the lyrics are lovey-dovey or whatever but this is some background music I want to hear in a smoky bar while posing in the corner of the lounge with a hat on my head and a cigar in my hand but not when I'm confessing my love to the girl who's sitting next to me in Chemistry class. +0

Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen - In Memories "KO・TO・WA・RI" (watched) : again, this is not love, this is painful memories. Damn great painful memories, as I'd like to say. Maybe painful love memories. +1 because it makes my heart flutter.

Bokura ga Ita - Fuan (watched) : well, too soothing. Love is a battlefield like our green-haired songstress likes to remind us. +0

ARIA the NATURAL - Itsuka Kita Michi (watched) : ARIA is the embodiment of how people can love unconditionally. And this piece of music shows that love for the Neo-Venezia city really well. But is that true love ? +2

Love Hina - Yakusoku (watched) : yeah, this ballad sung by Hocchan is really representative of my harem/comedy/romance view of love. This is the love I believe in. Reality should totally have insert songs like that, true story. +2

Cowboy Bebop - Call Me Call Me (watched) : well, sorry I don't see the love in that. Plus it has english lyrics. I don't feel any anime feeling, even if I loved Cowboy Bebop. Sorry. +0

Romeo X Juliet - Touch / Fureai (not watched : I mean Gonzo doing Romero X Juan Carlos, I can't watch this) : while I like cheesy harem music, I dislike cheesy shoujo-romance music. I get the message though : "let's dance in a field of roses and kiss each other while riding our flying poneys". I sense some Disney music in that, am I wrong ? Well -2 but I can't so +0

Giniro no Kami no Agito - Ai no Melody (not watched) : average, but it lacks something I can't really define. +0
May 24, 2009 1:33 PM

Sep 2007
Hey digiboy ! Why are you voting for your own nomination ? It has no sense, we should all vote for the songs we didn't choose, if not, what's the point ?
What are the rules on this zzeroparticle-danchou ?
May 24, 2009 2:33 PM
Aug 2008
Smankh said:
Hey digiboy ! Why are you voting for your own nomination ? It has no sense, we should all vote for the songs we didn't choose, if not, what's the point ?
If you want my 2c I think people should vote however they want.

This week was easy for me because except the KOKIA piece from Origin movie (and actually, my own submission, but I just listened to that this week durrr), I listened to all the tracks on a semi-reuglar basis, or is very fresh in my mind. This is good--because it means my definition of love in terms of musical expression overlaps all of yours! And all of your submissions are great music ;)

But I also have a more broad definition of love. It's different than infatuation for example, even if it's definitely a part of it, and that's where I interpret the theme in that we can include music that are less love-specific than, say, Nana Mizuki's "Shin Ai." It's still all love, love, love.

Kind of surprised nobody submitted some X-Japan...screw that silly Evangelion crap. There's a difference between self-love and selfishness after all.

I'll do a track-by-track thing later. With scores. Not too keen on dl'ing 80mb on a bus.
omoMay 24, 2009 2:37 PM
May 24, 2009 2:37 PM

Sep 2007
omo said:
Smankh said:
If you want my 2c I think people should vote however they want.

Meh, this feels like cheating.

Waiting for your review !
May 24, 2009 2:42 PM

Sep 2008
Smankh said:

There are no rules regarding voting on your own nomination since if you think you still enjoy your song more than everyone else's you should be free to state it as such through your vote. :)
May 24, 2009 2:44 PM

Sep 2007
zzeroparticle said:
Smankh said:

There are no rules regarding voting on your own nomination since if you think you still enjoy your song more than everyone else's you should be free to state it as such through your vote. :)

Ok then. = ]
May 24, 2009 7:00 PM

Sep 2007
5 Centimeters Per Second - Sora to Umi no Shi (watched) - For me, Tenmon's stuff has either been a "Wow" or a "Meh" on an individual basis. This one is a "meh" for me, despite how he works the string here, and the nice rolling drums leading a crescendo into the song's climax. And the ending is great here, but it doesn't make me feel "love" like for example the song before it, Yume, would.

Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight - Seioh Gakuen Kouka (watched) - Bias alert here, as the show is one of my all-time faves, and I really feel Manabi's love here. Though it makes me wonder how a simpler musical arrangement would have worked here, as simple as it already is. :P +1

End of Evangelion - THANATOS ~if I can't be yours~ (one episode watched) - Sorta feeling the lyrics here and sorta feeling the jazz here, which means I'm only sorta feeling the love here. It does remind me of a song I can use next time though. :P

Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen - In Memories "KO・TO・WA・RI" (watched) - The memories come flowing back here of the best and worst of times for Kenshin in these OVAs. And throughout those times there's still a sort of subtle hope and contentment present that I think was also reflected in the song here. +1

Bokura ga Ita - Fuan (have not watched) - The "love" here sounds like it's just beginning, but nothing too strong yet or memorable for me, sadly.

ARIA the NATURAL - Itsuka Kita Michi (watched) - Already said my piece about it. I think it's like someone currently in love, and it's wonderful. :P +1

Love Hina - Yakusoku (have not watched) - Horie appearance number two, and here I think the arrangement helps in conveying the feeling of love she's giving here. +1

Cowboy Bebop - Call Me Call Me (watched) - "When you care so much it hurts" is the theme that I got from the song when watching the show, and what I get here, and I feel that. Go go Seatbelts, and reminds me that I need to acquire the OST. +1

Romeo X Juliet - Touch / Fureai (have not watched) - It's like "the mystery of love" here for me, and then the mystery is emphatically solved. I really want to hear the piano version now. +1

Giniro no Kami no Agito - Ai no Melody (have not watched) - It's a song of longing to me. Solid.

Like lelangir said, this was mad hard. :P

Drastic My Anime Blog - My anime blog. :3
May 25, 2009 3:24 AM
May 2009
2- Ai no Melody from Gin-iro Kami no Agito
2- Fureai from Romeo x Juliet1
1- Kotowari from Rurouni Kenshin
1- Call Me Call Me from Cowboy Bebop

was never really a fan of evangaleon (was surprised at even getting to ep #24 before deciding he couldn't take it anymore)...
...music from Love Hina didn't really jump out at me, so it's hardly surprising that i didn't go for it....

i was quite tempted to put 3 each for Fureai and Ai no Melody...considering the former track was performed by a locally based orchestra...and Ai no Melody is such a gooooooooooooood song XD... anyway.. i'm done XP
May 25, 2009 7:45 AM

Dec 2007
I broke down from the difficulty of voting this week. Here are my broken votes:

5 Centimeters Per Second - Sora to Umi no Shi(Watched) - Started off well enough, but Tenmon tracks usually don't end well enough for me, and this one's no exception.

Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight - Seioh Gakuen Kouka(Watched) - The scene was so cheesy I skipped it halfway through, though I acknowledged the power of the scene. Now hearing it standalone, Horie Yui channels school love well. +1

End of Evangelion - THANATOS ~if I can't be yours~(Unwatched) - The funky part through the middle isn't really much to my liking, and that clipped it from doing too well in the face of this week's stellar competition IMO. The voice is good though.

Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen - In Memories "KO・TO・WA・RI"(Watched) - Oh no the images of things burning again ahhhhhhhh. +2 for being so poignant.

Bokura ga Ita - Fuan(Not Watched) - I like the silence developing, though not too much. Shows that pieces don't have to be intense to be good. +1 for being unique(maybe I've had enough of the intense angsty ones)

ARIA the NATURAL - Itsuka Kita Michi (watched) - It's ARIA, and ChoroClub manage to project a love for the particular universe that resonates with all of us who love it as well, with every darn track. +1.

Love Hina - Yakusoku (watched but can't remember a single thing) - Horie has a good performance here, though I think she has aged better than this song in particular.

Cowboy Bebop - Call Me Call Me (watched but forgot) - The scenes bring up more obsessive longing than love to me, though it's certain there might be some kind of overlap. Still a damn nice song I'm putting in my playlist.

Romeo X Juliet - Touch / Fureai (watched) - Ok I might have a bias towards Sakimoto here, but I like the feeling of serious triumphant fulfillment in this, though it seems I should get tired of this pretty quickly. +1 for a good impression.
May 25, 2009 10:43 AM

Sep 2008
azn86-jedi said:
i was quite tempted to put 3 each for Fureai and Ai no Melody...considering the former track was performed by a locally based orchestra...and Ai no Melody is such a gooooooooooooood song XD... anyway.. i'm done XP

Oh, that's pretty cool. Eminence is awesome in the way they work on game and anime music and I do enjoy listening to their clips. Do you have any plans to attend their concert in Sydney this year?
May 25, 2009 11:51 PM
May 2009
zzeroparticle said:
azn86-jedi said:

Oh, that's pretty cool. Eminence is awesome in the way they work on game and anime music and I do enjoy listening to their clips. Do you have any plans to attend their concert in Sydney this year?

If I lived in Sydney yes, I'd go, but I don't >___< and for some reason they've stopped coming to Melbourne (which is where I live). I did attend one of their concerts when they were down here...It's pretty awesome experience...
May 26, 2009 6:46 AM
Dec 2007
TheBigN said:
5 Centimeters Per Second - Sora to Umi no Shi (watched) - For me, Tenmon's stuff has either been a "Wow" or a "Meh" on an individual basis. This one is a "meh" for me, despite how he works the string here, and the nice rolling drums leading a crescendo into the song's climax. And the ending is great here, but it doesn't make me feel "love" like for example the song before it, Yume, would.

Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight - Seioh Gakuen Kouka (watched) - Bias alert here, as the show is one of my all-time faves, and I really feel Manabi's love here. Though it makes me wonder how a simpler musical arrangement would have worked here, as simple as it already is. :P +1

End of Evangelion - THANATOS ~if I can't be yours~ (one episode watched) - Sorta feeling the lyrics here and sorta feeling the jazz here, which means I'm only sorta feeling the love here. It does remind me of a song I can use next time though. :P

Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen - In Memories "KO・TO・WA・RI" (watched) - The memories come flowing back here of the best and worst of times for Kenshin in these OVAs. And throughout those times there's still a sort of subtle hope and contentment present that I think was also reflected in the song here. +1

Bokura ga Ita - Fuan (have not watched) - The "love" here sounds like it's just beginning, but nothing too strong yet or memorable for me, sadly.

ARIA the NATURAL - Itsuka Kita Michi (watched) - Already said my piece about it. I think it's like someone currently in love, and it's wonderful. :P +1

Love Hina - Yakusoku (have not watched) - Horie appearance number two, and here I think the arrangement helps in conveying the feeling of love she's giving here. +1

Cowboy Bebop - Call Me Call Me (watched) - "When you care so much it hurts" is the theme that I got from the song when watching the show, and what I get here, and I feel that. Go go Seatbelts, and reminds me that I need to acquire the OST. +1

Romeo X Juliet - Touch / Fureai (have not watched) - It's like "the mystery of love" here for me, and then the mystery is emphatically solved. I really want to hear the piano version now. +1

Giniro no Kami no Agito - Ai no Melody (have not watched) - It's a song of longing to me. Solid.

Like lelangir said, this was mad hard. :P

Here's the piano version for you ;)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ynztdnhtymd/06 - Deai.mp3
May 27, 2009 10:15 AM
Aug 2008
Sora to Umi no Shi - How is this "love" again? Maybe in a "moeeee" sense? One thing I noticed about some of the songs this week are closer to "natsukashii" than "love" but w/e. I thought this track was used very well within the show, but it's a little plain on its own. Probably one reason why I don't have the 5cm soundtrack on the playlist all that often.

Seioh Gakuen Kouka - New version - If I was going to steal the lelangir vote I would go for the a cappella version of this song. This version is particularly "natsukashii" in the way that it's a fairly longing melody to begin with, and the drawn-out arrangement makes you think back to the time the song was used in the show (complete with mental image montages). IIRC that's how this song was used in the anime proper? LOL. As an aside, this is suppose to be an anthem, and lyrically it is written like one. This arrangement just ... well.

THANATOS-IF I CAN'T BE YOURS - I thought it was brilliant to use this song in the anime, and it's a tough thing to forget this rather enchanting melody coupled with the destruction of the world. On its own, though, I'm not sure if it has much weight without the association factor. But hey, that's what anisong is all about. If I can give a point to director Tsurumaki, I would, but luls.

In Memories - KOTOWARI - TOMOEEEEEEEEE. Uh. I always thought Iwasaki's Kenshin music was one of his best... Anyways, being my nom, I guess I picked a track that's very different than most of the others this week, but I think it fits the dramatic/cinematic concept of love a lot better than most of yours :P
+1 because I'm not Digitalboy.

Fuan - Wait, isn't NEXT week "lost"? But I can see where the love comes in here through this piece. It's rather...lovely, lack of a better word. Must be one of those "maiden in love" themes. Only if the voice acting in the anime was not as grating I might have watched it all... But this is still a little heavy for that theme concept, so I guess it suits the anime's style. Which isn't one I particularly fond of unless you're talking about Marimite.
+1 this is classic koi music?

Itsuka Kita Machi - I thought about Someday's Dreamers while listening to this. It's also got that "natsukashii" thing going. As used in the show I'm not sure what kind of love it would be? It's got that unremarkable but charming feel to it.

Yakusoku - A proper love song! I recall this being one of the more pleasant tracks from the show because it's like, a downer among many that were...not. Coincidentally (or not), this is also kind of "natsukashii."

Call Me Call Me - This is one of the better tracks from Cowboy Bebop that I didn't really take to, and I don't know why. If I had to guess, it would be that there are a lot of great vocal pieces in Cowboy Bebop with a lot of different styles (some that suited me better). I should give it a point just on basis of being different.
+1 for different

Touch - One of the best tracks on that damned CD. Funnily enough I have a hardcore game soundtrack friend who said "once you go anime, you don't go back." I guess that means I should go all in with these early Sakimoto works. At any rate, Touch is refreshing, cute, charming, pointed, and sets the heart in a state before it gets all fluttery and angsty. It's pretty cool even for a maiden-in-love thingy. Eminence stole my affection when they visited Baltimore a couple years ago too, so it didn't help.
+3

Ai no Melody - I think this song made that mediocre movie worth the price of admission. It's a pretty good piece. If I listened to this week's entries in order (and I did) it would make a great "ending" theme song with the whole, lol, "ai no merodiii" thing going. But even so KOKIA has had better fare (like, Brain Powered even!) and maybe I just don't like this track THAT much.

Overall this is a pretty good list of music but I'm most surprised about the whole natsukashii angle and there's still a good diversity in terms of perspectives--what is love? kind of thing. I'm glad people are going to vocal music too, although there were a couple songs that are more or less the same (LOL A HOCCHAN PIECE THAT IS GOOD www)
May 27, 2009 10:22 AM
Nov 2007
hey hey are you dissing a hocchan piece? a fine hocchan piece is fine too!!!`~

The a capella arrangement of the anthem is nice too but I don't think there's an "official" version of it and the quality sucks otherwise :/
May 27, 2009 9:10 PM

Nov 2007
Smankh said:

Why the fuck would I vote for ones I don't agree with?

also, all of you are gay for disliking the jazz part and/or not voting thanatos >_>
May 28, 2009 2:45 AM

Sep 2008
Faaaaanboy raaaage commence!

In other (old) news, THIS WEEK WAS HARD!

(+2) Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen - In Memories "KO・TO・WA・RI"
(+1) 5 Centimeters Per Second - Sora to Umi no Shi
(+1) Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight - Seioh Gakuen Kouka
(+1) ARIA the NATURAL - Itsuka Kita Michi
(+1) Romeo X Juliet - Touch
May 28, 2009 12:37 PM

Aug 2008
Well this week was hard, not due to the fact that I liked all of the songs, but rather that none of the songs stood out from the rest of the pack. There was no one song that made me want to listen to it over and over again.

(+3) Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen - In Memories "KO・TO・WA・RI"
(+1) Romeo X Juliet - Touch
(+1) Cowboy Bebop - Call Me Call Me

I gave 3 points to In Memories due to the fact it was the it was the song nominated that I genuinely liked and found that I didn't want to give any points to any of the other songs.
May 28, 2009 6:26 PM

Oct 2007
(+3) Giniro no Kami no Agito - Ai no Melody
(+1) 5 Centimeters Per Second - Sora to Umi no Shi
(+1) Cowboy Bebop - Call Me Call Me

This is the first time I'm hearing AI no Melody. Great, great song. Love the rolling piano, the subtle strings and the awesome, really emotive vocals.
May 29, 2009 3:03 PM

Aug 2008
Kind of pressed for time so I'll keep things short.

Call Me Call Me - A song of powerful longing and one of my favourites. +2

Ai no Melody - BEAUTIFUL. SO BEAUTIFUL, I ALMOST CRIED. I mean, damn. DAMN. +2

Touch - This song just screams POWER OF LOVE. Good stuff. +2
May 30, 2009 10:03 AM
Aug 2008
Lelangir said:
hey hey are you dissing a hocchan piece? a fine hocchan piece is fine too!!!`~

The a capella arrangement of the anthem is nice too but I don't think there's an "official" version of it and the quality sucks otherwise :/

If you had your way you could have just taken the school fest version and cut out the instrumental second half.
2009digitalboy said:
also, all of you are gay for disliking the jazz part and/or not voting thanatos >_>

I'd use a bebop track instead, fwiw.
omoMay 30, 2009 10:07 AM
May 31, 2009 12:43 AM

Sep 2008
Well, that's a wrap for this week and the results aren't that surprising.

Again, results are posted in the opening post.
May 31, 2009 6:19 PM
Aug 2008
zzeroparticle said:
Interesting facts: Ai no Melody didn't get the highest number of votes, but the votes for it were enthusiastic ones, which is why it managed to take third. On the flip side, 7 people gave Seioh Gakuen Kouka a vote, but they were all one-pointers. :3

totally because the wrong version of seioh gakuen kouka is used IMO ;)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Defining Music Pieces of 2011? Or Personal Favorites?

ottocycle - Dec 16, 2011

13 by TheBigN »»
Jul 27, 2013 12:46 PM

» Week 64: Nominations Thread - Loneliness

zzeroparticle - Sep 29, 2010

18 by Kinushima »»
Nov 13, 2012 8:23 AM

» Improving the #malkeionbu

omo - Sep 16, 2010

26 by omo »»
Aug 11, 2011 11:18 AM

» Week 63: Voting Thread

zzeroparticle - Sep 29, 2010

2 by mrmuk »»
Jun 10, 2011 10:31 AM

» Week 59: Voting Thread

zzeroparticle - Aug 16, 2010

10 by Pocari »»
Mar 18, 2011 10:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.