Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do you prefer subbed or dubbed verison of Ghost Stories?
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 28, 2017 7:44 AM

Aug 2011
Neither I guess. The sub was nothing memorable and the jokes from the dub version were repetitive and overdone. Some of the jokes were fun at first but they got tired after a while.
Sep 17, 2017 9:06 AM
Jul 2018
I found the Christian quotes/jokes in the Dubbed to be quite funny, and even though it would have appeared a little repetitious, it is still the type of humor that would not be seen in many other anime series, so for that reason it wouldn't be necessarily considered 'undone' to me. The Subbed is still my favorite though, because I find it's easier to just concentrate visually on the subtitles than it is to just listen to the audio. I tried the Dubbed at first, liked the jokes and humor in it, but then when I realized that the Subbed was also available on CR, I started over with the Subbed version.
Sep 29, 2017 8:43 AM

Jul 2015
Dub and sub should really have separate entry.

Jan 18, 2018 1:53 AM

Dec 2016
Not sure why you would watch this subbed... I'd honestly rather watch Scooby Doo XD.

The dub, on the other hand, is pure gold.
ShionJan 18, 2018 1:57 AM
Jan 27, 2018 10:24 PM

Nov 2017
I love the sub version, it wasn't boring for me.

I dont know why is everyone saying the sub version is horrible and the dub is a masterpiece.
Its literally the same story with different characters and more jokes.

I think everyone hates the sub version because its popular to do it, and they have not even seen the anime. :c

Sorry for my english x3
Letra:

Eran las diez de la noche, piloteaba mi nave.
era mi taxi un Wolkswagen del año 68.
Era un día de esos malos donde no hubo pasaje.
las lentejuelas de un traje, me hicieron la parada...
Jan 28, 2018 9:06 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The completely over the top dub held my interest (got a laugh at least once an episode). I would have dropped the original version with subs after only 2 episodes.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 29, 2018 4:30 PM

Nov 2012
Shion said:
Not sure why you would watch this subbed... I'd honestly rather watch Scooby Doo XD.

The dub, on the other hand, is pure gold.

I came here after watching that video and I can see why the dub version is so much better.

...And yet I do wonder if I want every anime to be dubbed like an anime abridged youtube video. It really discredits 'official' translations when they don't openly call it a parody / fandub / joke release.
Mar 6, 2018 1:12 AM
Jun 2016
This entire argument is stupid. The subs are always better, there are no exceptions. The dubs always use the same voice actors for everything, and they change the script way too much. All english voice actors suck anyway, dubs are garbage.

Always watch anime subbed. If you don't you're just a filthy casual who doesn't deserve the joy of anime.
Mar 6, 2018 1:15 AM
Jun 2016
Piromysl said:
Dub and sub should really have separate entry.
I second this

Apparently I need at least 15 characters to reply, so I'm adding a paragraph onto the end. FUCK YOU MAL.
Mar 7, 2018 10:06 PM
Jun 2016
Actar said:
Many people don't really care that changes were made to Samurai Pizza Cats or Ghost Stories because they don't care for the originals. However, they should be reminded that there are people who do care for the original characters and hate to see them desecrated like this. What if one day they happen to mess with a show that you like? I mean, many of these same people complain about the 4kids edits and Cardcaptors and such. The truth of the matter is, they only care when it affects a show they like. I don't want to wait for that day, so I am always against edits of any kind. (I am here reminded of the 1950s poem "First They Came..." written by Martin Niemoller. Do check it out.)
The reverse can also be true. I love the english script for Steins;gate, but people always express a hatred towards it for its script changes and people are put off from watching it.
Mar 21, 2018 5:26 PM

Aug 2013
Dub is the only option, the characters were more memorable in the dub, so there's no reason to even use that argument for the sub.
Mar 31, 2018 1:11 PM

Apr 2012
I watched both and the subbed version got boring for me a couple of episodes with its campy monster of the week troupe. The dubbed on the other hand had a different feel when they completely rewritten the script and occasionally broke the 4th wall to make it entertaining. I'm mostly a sub enthusiast but sometimes it's refreshing to see an anime with this kind of adaptation entertaining.
Janethan23Mar 31, 2018 1:15 PM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Apr 3, 2021 7:23 PM
Apr 2021
the dub sounds just way better to me, imo
Apr 6, 2021 12:52 AM
Jul 2017
The sub version made more sense than the gag dub. It was just trash. I like the dialogue they made up, but why didn't they pick a show like Evangelion? Those are shows that I don't really understand. I would pick Evangelion to have a gag dub done by Sentai Filmworks. I didn't even get the plot of Evangelion.
Apr 14, 2021 11:08 AM
Apr 2012
The dub is so unapologetically crass and meta that I love it.
May 29, 2021 9:04 PM
Jan 2021
I prefer Sub. Dub is like Family Guy or South Park: shows with a crude American humor that I, as a poor inferior Latino, cannot enjoy.

Sub is decent. If all that controversy hadn't happened with that lost episode maybe a decent franchise would have come out for the kids.

In the end, it's a matter of perspective: I saw a dubbing faithful to the Japanese version first, so the English dubbing is an insult to me. Maybe if I had grown up with English dubbing or I liked American humor I would think differently, but it is not like that.

PS: Judging from what I've read, it seems that Americans want to be number one in disrespect.
Jun 7, 2021 11:44 PM

Feb 2021
Like someone on YouTube said, the subbed version is mediocre while the dubbed version is the stuff of legends. The dubbed version is the only reason I stayed to watch. I mean, I personally prefer subs in general by a long shot, but the dub of this anime (+ the Mars of Destruction fandub) is just... absolutely hilarious.
Jun 12, 2021 2:38 AM

Jun 2019
I watched it only subbed (Japanese audio with English subtitles) back when I watched it, because I generally only watch subbed.

Personally, I do not see why this series in particular is routinely singled out as something so atrocious and underwhelming in its original Japanese form that it's somehow unwatchable and warranted a radical deviation from the original source with its dubbing. And that the dub somehow "saved" the show. I don't see that at all. I thought the original version was quite good and enjoyable/entertaining for what it was. A 7/10 series for me. It's exactly what a kids' horror and/or mystery show should be. It reminds me of watching episodes of Scooby Doo or Courage the Cowardly Dog. Nothing about the writing, directing, performances, etc. suggested it was subpar and below that level.

It's actually one of the better horror anime out there to me. I'll take something like Gakkou no Kaidan over Another any day of the week. It knows exactly what it is and uses its format well. I would suggest its original sub version as a good show for any horror fans, both for kids and for older teens/adults who grew up watching the American/Western equivalents of this kind of material.
Jul 23, 2021 9:55 PM
Aug 2020
Etika’s reaction alone was enough to convince me the dub was better ✊🏾

Aug 12, 2021 7:36 PM
Apr 2021
I saw both and I have to say I love subbed over dubbed version.
Dub it's hiarious, I'm not denying that, but I really like more the emotional moments that this anime has, and the original story in general
Aug 31, 2021 3:50 PM

May 2020
Definitely dubbed, it's too funny.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakkou no Kaidan Episode 20 Discussion

Ranivus - Apr 1, 2010

46 by matheoo41 »»
Mar 25, 4:49 PM

Poll: » Gakkou no Kaidan Episode 18 Discussion

Ranivus - Apr 1, 2010

19 by matheoo41 »»
Mar 20, 7:54 PM

Poll: » Gakkou no Kaidan Episode 15 Discussion

Ranivus - Mar 28, 2010

24 by matheoo41 »»
Feb 20, 6:39 PM

Poll: » Gakkou no Kaidan Episode 12 Discussion

Ranivus - Mar 28, 2010

37 by Sexyjutsu »»
Feb 12, 1:14 AM

Poll: » Gakkou no Kaidan Episode 10 Discussion

stand - Oct 22, 2013

21 by Sexyjutsu »»
Feb 7, 1:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.