Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
May 20, 2009 5:36 PM
Apr 2009
I'm Filipino and proud to be (: But yeah , sometimes I want to be Japanese . But it annoys me whenever I say that around my friends and they get mad saying , " So you're not proud to be filipino ? " and such , but when it's the other way around , they start cussing at me and they tell everyone I'm not proud to Filipino when I am .
May 21, 2009 10:57 AM

Jan 2008
Baman said:
HarryTram said:
I always wish I was japanese instead of Vietnamese. What do vietnamese have that makes them special from other asians? We have hair and nail salons....
Hey, at least you've got your country featured in loads of movies and games. Not every nation can say that.

ME SO HOOORNEY ME LUV YOU LONG TIME SUCKY SUCKY 5 DORRA

LolitaDecay said:

I have no idea. It was just a random thought. And now I can't stop reading people's posts with an accent.

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/episodes.html

May 21, 2009 11:18 AM

Dec 2008
Well, I do think it would be pretty cool if I grew up in Japan

& &
May 21, 2009 11:19 AM

Jan 2008
MissOtaku said:

it hink it would be cool if you grew up in japan as well, you 14 years old and ready to be put to work right?

LolitaDecay said:

I have no idea. It was just a random thought. And now I can't stop reading people's posts with an accent.

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/episodes.html

May 21, 2009 11:45 AM

Mar 2008
Rub_my_Fanny said:
rTz said:
tentacle_raep said:
Fui said:

So, have you ever been to Tokyo? My friend and I noticed that pretty much every girl that walked by had a great body (no overweight people) and was cute.
the hot ones were dudes in drag.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It is a bad thing. I knew only meatpackers could like Konata.

You and your friend are idiots, perhaps desperate ones too. All the girls did not look good, you guys just had incredibly low standards.

Thanks for making those assumptions bro. And I had this idea that people who watch anime have the opposite problem. Because thinking the people I see here are worse looking than the people I saw there makes me an idiot right? In before hurr yes it does I TROL U.

Also, why does everyone in this thread seem really bitter? It always cracks me up to see people who are on like anime/japanese forums get the most upset and defensive over these kinds of discussions. It's ultimate irony.
FuiMay 21, 2009 11:51 AM
May 21, 2009 1:52 PM

Mar 2009
Fui said:
Rub_my_Fanny said:
rTz said:
tentacle_raep said:
Fui said:

So, have you ever been to Tokyo? My friend and I noticed that pretty much every girl that walked by had a great body (no overweight people) and was cute.
the hot ones were dudes in drag.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It is a bad thing. I knew only meatpackers could like Konata.

Also, why does everyone in this thread seem really bitter? It always cracks me up to see people who are on like anime/japanese forums get the most upset and defensive over these kinds of discussions. It's ultimate irony.

Drama is inherent in forums. Bring up any topic that anyone whatsoever cares about, and it will breed drama. Guaranteed.
"When he will, the weary world
Of the senses closely curled
Like a serpent round his heart
Shakes herself and stands apart."
- A.C., Equinox I/I
May 21, 2009 2:35 PM

Aug 2008
The answer is no. I wouldn't enjoy their culture if I am a Japanese.

May 21, 2009 2:36 PM

Aug 2007
Yoshi-Moto said:
MissOtaku said:

it hink it would be cool if you grew up in japan as well, you 14 years old and ready to be put to work right?

14 years old is what the actual age should be. It's stupid to make it so you can't get a job until you are 16.
May 21, 2009 2:42 PM

Aug 2008
I wish the Japanese were me!

this is lame.
May 28, 2009 8:30 AM
Dec 2007
a little... i wish im super smart that i knew a lot of languages,,,

i wish to go there.
May 28, 2009 8:59 AM

May 2008
No.

God dammit.
May 28, 2009 11:44 AM

Jan 2009
Not really. Sometimes I will but that's not what's important for me. As long as I can read/understand/write Japanese then I can live with that without being a native at all :P

I want to live there though ;D
Animanga Blog: -ALPHANoX- PROJECT
Like anime, manga, otome games or other fandom? Then why not join me in -A-P and be one of the co-authors? ;D PM me if interested xDD♥

Love me, Hate me, I don't care as long as you're with me
May 28, 2009 3:00 PM

Aug 2008
nah. but i do wish i live in japan right now....forever!!!!^^
May 28, 2009 3:16 PM

May 2009
Yes! KInda sad but before anime for me I kinda wanted to be Japanese... Even now, not just because of anime, but I love the language and the culture and everything

May 28, 2009 3:29 PM

Feb 2009
Interesting enough, most of the actual Japanese I have met in my life time, have no real obsession with manga and anime actually.

Just brings home the fact that we are all really just geeks obsessed with another countries geeks :)

I'm glad I am not Japanese for a variety of reasons I suppose.
First off their entire nation sits on a lot of hostile ground. Earthquakes and volcanoes and tidal waves (I know too much in the realm of earth sciences).
I also don't like their diet actually.
Their nation is not exactly spacious eh (I suppose being Canadian I am spoiled by so muuuuuch space).
And being Canadian, I am likely living in one of the richest countries in the world where resources are concerned (we never wonder where our oil is coming from eh).

Glad to be Canadian, but I love my anime.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
May 28, 2009 3:33 PM

Mar 2009
Sukunai said:
Earthquakes and volcanoes and tidal waves (I know too much in the realm of earth sciences).

they have a lot of birds there (i know too much in the realm of animal sciences)
May 28, 2009 3:34 PM

Dec 2008
hikky said:
No.

God dammit.
May 28, 2009 3:54 PM
Nov 2008
Why would you want to be japanese so much? I mean hello, Rape of Nanking? No one learns history on this site?
May 28, 2009 10:22 PM
May 2009
Since a child I've had visions of oriental splendour..

I loved mecha and robots (who didn't)

Pokemon

Pentatonics

Sakura

Geishas

Final Fantasy

all pretty early in my life. some of my family are Chinese, they were influencial to me and gave me lots of Transformers and Gundam toys.
May 29, 2009 12:21 AM

Mar 2008
Okamoto_Riku said:
Why would you want to be japanese so much? I mean hello, Rape of Nanking? No one learns history on this site?

I'm afraid everyone has seen "Rape of Nanking" enough times on the internet to be able to spit it out where he sees fit and claim himself to be an international history buff. For a troll post I guess it wasn't that bad if you're not used to people spamming it all the time.

I think OP is a valid question (although I'd change it to 'born in Japan'), considering the responses and nature of...anime fans. Of course it's easy to jump on their reasoning since it's unlikely many know anything about Japanese life aside from what they saw in anime.

I also find it interesting that so many people speak with the authority as if they've lived there long enough to tell us how Japanese life is like. I have cousins and friends who live there (and parents from there), and I believe a lot of what people are saying is off. Just hyped up exaggerations from no better sources than that of those who think Japanese life = anime.
May 29, 2009 2:00 AM

Aug 2007
Okamoto_Riku said:

Because people are smart enough to know that modern Japanese are not like that. Oh wait. You're not.
May 29, 2009 2:10 AM

Jul 2007
I would have hated growing up in Japan myself, most of the reasons discussed already.

However for a holiday or just short term i would love it, there are good parts of the Japanese culture that appeal to me ^^
May 29, 2009 3:52 AM

May 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Because people are smart enough to know that modern Japanese are not like that. Oh wait. You're not.

This is a good statement. Although flaming.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
May 29, 2009 12:03 PM

Apr 2009
I have lots of respect for the Japanese culture. I was born half Thai and half German in America. I always kinda wished I could at least learn the language and visit Japan. In reality you can find what you want most anywhere in the US.
Baka-senseiMay 29, 2009 12:10 PM
May 29, 2009 4:44 PM

Dec 2008
As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side.

We say we would like to be Japanese, maybe some Japanese think the same way.

I would have liked to have moved there at a young age for school, it would have done me good. I've always been competetive in school, until high school (british high school, is from age 11) I had hopes that we would all have an equall grading system where your apparent 'mental capacity' was not taken in to it. No, they have to beat around the bush, we should not know eachothers grades, we do not know where we stand. After all this I would be glad to come 32/32 because it would give me a goal against someone other than myself. I know the teachers rank us because I read the chart and wish they would show us, it would kick the school into shape. (I was fourth in my year, happy but I wish they showed us updated versions).

The formalities though would annoy me, I'd love to sit on the floor with family to eat, but I know I sure as hell wouldn't sit like I was in church. Neither would I be the type of person I am now, I would not think at all about what I was doing.

Honestly I'd rather visit Japan sometime and work for the anime industry in the US or UK as a translator or such. All the while trying to enjoy my itallian/spanish/english/god knows what else, but still near-transparent white, with slanty eyes lineage.
May 29, 2009 5:03 PM

Feb 2009
I wish I was japanese so then I was perfect and amazing and talented at everything like the japanese are.

Jokes, I really like being who I am, most of the time, and I prefer my body to theirs.

The only thing I could think of is to appreciate and experience another culture, or to know japanese like someone born speaking japenese can speak it.
My pokemon bring all the boys to the yard...
May 29, 2009 9:01 PM

Feb 2009
Okamoto_Riku said:

Pick any country or race and I'm sure you'll find atrocities committed by them. Unless, of course, if they won and wrote the history books...
Is there another word for synonym?
May 31, 2009 6:17 PM
Nov 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Okamoto_Riku said:

Yeah, you are smart enough to know that they aren't. Like there aren't Nazi's anymore.
May 31, 2009 6:20 PM
Nov 2008
Why would you be part of a race, with a terrible past. Just because it's the present doesn't mean what they did in the past doesn't count
May 31, 2009 6:28 PM

Dec 2008
Okamoto_Riku said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Okamoto_Riku said:

Yeah, you are smart enough to know that they aren't. Like there aren't Nazi's anymore.

If you were smart you'd pick a place with less bias to express any negative feelings about Japan. ;)

Personally I don't know what to think about them. What they did was not something easily forgotten or forgivable but what if Japan's leaders during the war were a different bunch of people? Would they have done the same thing? Until now though... Japan still seems reluctant to apologise for their actions, which is kind of repulsive.
May 31, 2009 6:31 PM

May 2007
No not really, I like being American actually.

Now I wish our animation industry was better, Avatar showed that it can be, so there might be hope.
My anime list
May 31, 2009 6:42 PM
Nov 2008
SmileWithMe said:
Okamoto_Riku said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Okamoto_Riku said:

If you were smart you'd pick a place with less bias to express any negative feelings about Japan. ;)

Personally I don't know what to think about them. What they did was not something easily forgotten or forgivable but what if Japan's leaders during the war were a different bunch of people? Would they have done the same thing? Until now though... Japan still seems reluctant to apologise for their actions, which is kind of repulsive.

My opinion, is there, I didnt' want to start a new topic
Jun 1, 2009 12:38 AM

Apr 2009
XShakuganX said:

This may seem like some sort of obsession with japan, but after watching so much anime it cant be helped.

There are times where I wish I was born Japan, and am growing up there rather than america. I want to attend all them uniformed highschools, with the classrooms that have sliding doors....and living in tokyo sounds like so much fun >,<

Anyone else have this obsession ?

yes,you are not the only
Jun 1, 2009 12:47 AM

Sep 2007
Yoshi-Moto said:

AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!!!!
Jun 1, 2009 5:33 AM

May 2008
Okamoto_Riku said:
Why would you be part of a race, with a terrible past.

Why would you care about a race having a terrible past?
Caring about the past is stupid.
Okamoto_Riku said:
Like there aren't Nazi's anymore.

Nazi bands make great music.:D

Jun 1, 2009 8:59 AM

Nov 2008
I'm happy on what my nationality is and I didn't wished before that I was a Japanese

Lizlet L Chelsie and Anri Hiiragi are my waifus!! XD
Jun 1, 2009 2:47 PM

Nov 2008
I've just read the whole thread and what I saw?

Back to the topic:
If I were Japanese, I would probably fit into the society - by that I mean, they would accepted me, with my quirks and lifestyle and such.
But it wouldn't work the other way around.
I don't like their lack of individuality, ancient patriarchal hierarchy, strict rules, school uniforms, cramped cities, traffic jams, seafood, superstitiousness, work-a-holism, life philosophy, (...524 items omitted...)

What I love in my current nationality is the Polish Golden Rule #1: "Rules are to be violated". It's an heritage of 500 years of democracy and I'm quite proud of it.
The Japanese are completely opposite.
Jun 2, 2009 11:22 AM

Aug 2007
Okamoto_Riku said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Okamoto_Riku said:

Yep. Because everybody knows the Japanese are just like the Nazis.
Jun 2, 2009 11:31 AM

May 2009
I never wish I am Japanese, but i want to speak japanese. ( I prefer to be French )
LectureJun 2, 2009 11:35 AM
Jun 2, 2009 4:05 PM
Nov 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Okamoto_Riku said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Okamoto_Riku said:

Right....pay attention in history class, the Japanese army, were brutal, Pearl Harbor ring a bell? Rape of Nanking? Nazis weren't the only ones who killed people. Expand your knowledge a little bit more before you go and try and insult me.
Jun 2, 2009 4:16 PM

Jul 2007
Okamoto_Riku said:

Let me guess, you're Chinese.
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Jun 2, 2009 4:21 PM
Nov 2008
Sin said:
Okamoto_Riku said:

Let me guess, you're Chinese.

Yeah good guess.
Jun 2, 2009 4:22 PM
Nov 2008
Look I'm not saying I don't appreciate Japanese culture and such, but there are somethings that you have to consider, I mean being Japanese isn't all anime and manga, they have a lot of history behind them that you guys don't seem to know.
Jun 2, 2009 6:32 PM

Aug 2007
Okamoto_Riku said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Okamoto_Riku said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Okamoto_Riku said:

Right....pay attention in history class, the Japanese army, were brutal, Pearl Harbor ring a bell? Rape of Nanking? Nazis weren't the only ones who killed people. Expand your knowledge a little bit more before you go and try and insult me.

It's called sarcasm. You're an idiot for bashing the Japanese for something they did 70 years ago.
Jun 2, 2009 7:48 PM

Dec 2008
Bringing up the Japanese for something they did in the past is fine actually, but "bashing" them on an anime forum?... it's

Jun 2, 2009 7:54 PM

May 2009
No because in theory, all races have a fundamental flaw.
That is in theory.

In real life, personally I still wouldn't want to be, unless I actually wasn't born in Japan because I really am inspired by being in a multicultural country.

However, I do my best to respect all cultures and am interested at seeing how it would be living in a homogeneous society.
Jun 2, 2009 8:26 PM

Dec 2008
This thread makes me LOL.

First, to answer the OP: well, I'm half Japanese (other half is Filipino) but third generation so I grew up with barely any Japanese culture save for my grandmother's fabulous sushi and tofu dishes and deciphering my grandparents' Engrish. It's hard to say whether I'm interested in Japanese culture because it's simply my own culture that I never got to learn a lot about or because of my interest in anime and manga. Maybe it's just a combination of both?

Even so, I like Canada well enough. My grandmother was even born in Canada but grew up in Japan only to return here. Both my grandparents decided to remain in Canada after being displaced in the interment camps in WW2 rather than return to Japan. And even later, they visited Japan once or twice but always returned to Canada. That tells me something xD Still, I'd love to visit Japan at least once to eat a lot of their food, take a dip in a hot spring, and possibly wear a kimono. But, you know, I want to visit a lot of other places, too - it's just that Japan is near the top of that list XD

Okamoto_Riku said:

I think what people are trying to say is that to hold your average modern-day Japanese citizen and/or the entire culture accountable for these things is being rather harsh and narrow-minded. Like someone else said, if you look at ANY culture, you'll find similar atrocities. To point at just the Japanese or the Germans for what happened in WW2 and blame them for all the evil they did in the past makes no sense. The evil side of the human race is to blame for those things, not just any one culture.
Jun 2, 2009 8:29 PM

Jan 2009
Um.. Sure.. I guess. I love to draw manga and hope to animate something someday... and as far as I can see.. I'm not really motivated to work for any American Animation companies. :/ The quality of animation in America at the moment is crap. I don't want to make a crappy animation.... I want to make a GOOD animation... I guess I could make a OEL manga, but who really would read that? -_- American cartoons are way too kiddy for me... No violence... No death.. gahhh.. I hate being a blonde American living in lower-middle-class suburbia sometimes...
Jun 2, 2009 8:44 PM

May 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:

Listening to Jpop is the same as listening to Nazi Punk.
White Power!

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» lowercase chat thread v.21 ghouls and goblins edition ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KayKimii - Oct 13, 2023

5756 by perfectlyquiet »»
37 seconds ago

» Is it a red flag? ( 1 2 3 )

iHateAnimeBro - Apr 24

111 by perfectlyquiet »»
2 minutes ago

» How do you feel? v5 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Apr 26, 2023

2931 by Longnines »»
4 minutes ago

» Say something about 1 of the 3 users above you ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

marinara-sauce - Nov 18, 2020

9154 by MitsukiHimeka »»
4 minutes ago

» The above user's profile picture confesses to you. What is your reply? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jmaster49 - Apr 21, 2014

4503 by MitsukiHimeka »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.