Forum Settings
Forums

what do u think about fillers? Good OR Bad??

New
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 9, 2009 2:24 PM
Jun 2008
One good example of a string of good fillers that actually turns out to be very competent and enjoyable is the rather unknown show Himitsu - The Revelation. Most episodes are anime-original, and yet a lot of them kick ass in their own way: they're all varied and inspired and really try to make the most of their setting.
Jun 9, 2009 5:17 PM

Mar 2009
most fillers are really pointless but sometimes comic relief is needed when an anime series gets super intense. when the fillers drag on & on though, it's sooo boring.

Jun 9, 2009 5:47 PM

Jan 2009
I generally don't mind fillers, as long as the fillers aren't a 100 episodes long and it isn't the same pointless thing over and over again.
Jun 10, 2009 5:09 AM

Apr 2009
it depends.. but most fillers are not worth the time ugh
Jun 25, 2009 8:43 PM

Jan 2009
i agree

Jun 28, 2009 1:13 AM

Jan 2008
Fillers have their place in an anime series. When they are done well and placed at the correct points in the main storyline, they can actually be good for the series. The problem is when fillers take over a show and the fillers become more of a mainstay in a series than the actual storyline. Fillers should be just exactly that, a brief break in a series to break up storylines or to provide relief from the story. They should not be an excuse to drag out a show for the profit of the company producing it.
Jun 28, 2009 3:55 AM

Apr 2009
Fillers are evil.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Jun 28, 2009 4:45 AM

Aug 2007
Master13Major said:
They should not be an excuse to drag out a show for the profit of the company producing it.

They never are. The only reason some shows have a lot of fillers is because they are stupid and animate the chapters too quickly.
Jun 28, 2009 5:12 AM

Apr 2009
Master13Major said:
Fillers have their place in an anime series. When they are done well and placed at the correct points in the main storyline, they can actually be good for the series. The problem is when fillers take over a show and the fillers become more of a mainstay in a series than the actual storyline. Fillers should be just exactly that, a brief break in a series to break up storylines or to provide relief from the story. They should not be an excuse to drag out a show for the profit of the company producing it.
This. and maybe
Drunk_Samurai said:
Master13Major said:
They should not be an excuse to drag out a show for the profit of the company producing it.

They never are. The only reason some shows have a lot of fillers is because they are stupid and animate the chapters too quickly.
this as well, but I think animators can't help the speed of chapter-animation (unless they skip chapters), the story has to progress after all.
Jun 28, 2009 4:07 PM

Aug 2007
Jaapsneep said:
Master13Major said:
This. and maybe
Drunk_Samurai said:
Master13Major said:

this as well, but I think animators can't help the speed of chapter-animation (unless they skip chapters), the story has to progress after all.

All they have to do is how Toei did it with One Piece. Almost every canon arc was followed by a filler arc.
Jun 28, 2009 4:55 PM

Jan 2009
It depends. If it's only one filler every 12 to 25 episodes (1 maybe 2 in a season) it's not that bad. But if it's a filler arc like in Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc. they are awful and ruin series.
Jun 28, 2009 4:57 PM

Jan 2009
Master13Major said:

Basically what he said.
Jun 28, 2009 6:37 PM

Aug 2007
xTHoWx said:
It depends. If it's only one filler every 12 to 25 episodes (1 maybe 2 in a season) it's not that bad. But if it's a filler arc like in Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc. they are awful and ruin series.

I don't think you have ever watched any One Piece fillers if you call them awful.
Jun 28, 2009 7:17 PM

Apr 2009
One or two fillers are fine but more that that is just too much toi enjoy them. Personally, if the series has too many fillers I start to forget what the series is about XD so I have I reason to not like them. Plus they get boring after some time
Jun 28, 2009 7:31 PM

Jun 2009
Depends on the quality of the filler and how much i'm enjoying the show. Some shows i don't mind fillers at all. Others i just want to finish the series so i can hop to the next, better anime. When i started anime i hadn't even heard the word filler before, i just enjoyed shows for what they were, fillers included. Now, i'm more aware of them, but only usually mind them when the anime i'm watching is *just* interesting enough to want to finish it, but not addicted.
Jun 28, 2009 11:13 PM

Sep 2008
Fillers are only as good as the creators make them to be. If they do nothing to develop the characters in any way, then they're pretty pointless. Sadly, that's what fillers tend to do, because the creators know that there is more manga storyline to later incorporate, and so they often can't do anything daring or even remotely interesting with the characters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2009 11:30 PM

Aug 2007
Cholisose said:
Fillers are only as good as the creators make them to be. If they do nothing to develop the characters in any way, then they're pretty pointless. Sadly, that's what fillers tend to do, because the creators know that there is more manga storyline to later incorporate, and so they often can't do anything daring or even remotely interesting with the characters.

Character development doesn't even matter in fillers since it doesn't count.
Jun 28, 2009 11:39 PM

Sep 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Cholisose said:

Character development doesn't even matter in fillers since it doesn't count.

Well, IMO, ideally the anime creators would want the filler episodes to mesh in with the rest of the series without disrupting the flow and tone of the show, right? Maybe to the hardcore fan of the series any filler episode would "not count," but to the average viewer I think most people would want every episode to serve a purpose of some sort, whether it is filler or not.
Of course fillers shouldn't change the characters' personalities, but I think they ought to avoid "playing it safe" by having the characters do the exact same things they do in non-filler episodes. It's definitely a delicate balance.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2009 12:45 AM
Jan 2009
Horrible. However, I'm pretty good in choosing the right animes for me. The only anime I watched in recent time that had a few fillers was Wolf's Rain, but overall I do never watch animes with fillers, because only bad animes require them, and I don't think that I watch too many bad animes.
Jun 29, 2009 1:26 AM

Aug 2007
Argalet said:
Horrible. However, I'm pretty good in choosing the right animes for me. The only anime I watched in recent time that had a few fillers was Wolf's Rain, but overall I do never watch animes with fillers, because only bad animes require them, and I don't think that I watch too many bad animes.

The anime was the original source so it had no fillers.
Jun 29, 2009 1:33 AM
Jan 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
Argalet said:

I don't understand. Wolf's Rain had no fillers? Of course it had. There were (as far as I remember four) episodes around the middle of the anime which were mostly made up of scenes from earlier episodes. They were pretty unnecessary and I guess only supposed to buy some time for the anime studio to work on the later episodes. Therefore they were - at least in my understanding of this term - fillers.
Jun 29, 2009 1:40 AM

Aug 2007
Argalet said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Argalet said:

I don't understand. Wolf's Rain had no fillers? Of course it had. There were (as far as I remember four) episodes around the middle of the anime which were mostly made up of scenes from earlier episodes. They were pretty unnecessary and I guess only supposed to buy some time for the anime studio to work on the later episodes. Therefore they were - at least in my understanding of this term - fillers.

Original source means if it was first an anime or manga. It was first an anime so that means it doesn't have any fillers.
Jun 29, 2009 2:51 AM
Jun 2008
Drunk_Samurai, stop forcing your opinion down everyone's throat. Another common definition of 'filler' is an episode that doesn't contribute to the series in any way. Hence, the recap block in Wolf's Rain qualifies pretty much for that.
Jun 29, 2009 2:57 AM

Apr 2007
Fillers have sense at all. Why don't they just give the anime a break for a month or 2
Like they do with normal television series :X
Jun 29, 2009 5:13 AM
Jan 2009
Android17 said:
Fillers have sense at all. Why don't they just give the anime a break for a month or 2
Less viewing rates? There is no other explanation than that, I guess, because even filler episodes do require some work, and there is no way one would make such unnecessary episodes when there is no kind of "reward". And in many cases they probably also do support the merchandising connected to many commercial orientated animes with fillers.
Jun 29, 2009 8:04 AM

Jun 2009
For me, it depends on the filler. But, usually, I want to get back to the story XD

I tend to read the manga of shows with A LOT of fillers. (i.e. Bleach, Naruto)

Jul 1, 2009 8:02 PM

Mar 2009
depends because sometimes i think some of the fillers or good also i would rather watch fillers instead of not being able to watch anything
Jul 1, 2009 8:43 PM

Jan 2009
I hate fillers!!!!!!!
Jul 1, 2009 8:47 PM

Jun 2008
I could do without them... but if I'm enjoying the series, I sometimes like just watching the characters even without any kind of plot development
"All I want in life is someone to put one of my quotes under their sig" -Perposterone
Jul 1, 2009 9:12 PM

May 2008
alc51893 said:
I hate fillers!!!!!!!

This! However one piece fillers are ok xD
Jul 1, 2009 9:40 PM

Jun 2009
Argalet said:
Android17 said:
Less viewing rates? There is no other explanation than that, I guess, because even filler episodes do require some work, and there is no way one would make such unnecessary episodes when there is no kind of "reward". And in many cases they probably also do support the merchandising connected to many commercial orientated animes with fillers.

Another explanation for fillers could be for character development, like lets say one side character gets a whole episode to his/herself and you get to know this character a little better. Or there can be a filler episode where it emphasizes on a view or personality that a character has. In other words, if there is an episode that has nothing to do with the main plot: it would describe a character, the setting, or etc.

But in my opinion, it really just depends on what anime it is. Ghost in the Shell's fillers were pretty good. But flashback fillers can get annoying sometimes, especially when your in the climax of the plot.
[Your Sig, But With Cake.]
Jul 2, 2009 4:12 PM
Jan 2009
CakeLander said:
Argalet said:
Android17 said:

Another explanation for fillers could be for character development, like lets say one side character gets a whole episode to his/herself and you get to know this character a little better. Or there can be a filler episode where it emphasizes on a view or personality that a character has. In other words, if there is an episode that has nothing to do with the main plot: it would describe a character, the setting, or etc.

But in my opinion, it really just depends on what anime it is. [...]
Well, that's not how I do define fillers. Episodes with sub-plots or which are emphasizing on the character development aren't that uncommon. For me, fillers are episodes where there is no real development at all, for example when people keep talking about the same rather senseless stuff all over again instead of fighting like it happens in Pokemon, Dragonball, Beyblade and whatsoever. I think fillers are pretty much only supposed to buy some time for the developers, while character development, setting descriptions, short sub-plots and so on can be a serious, noteworthy part of an anime.
Jul 2, 2009 5:31 PM

Jul 2008
Fillers are ok as long as they dont throw them in after a cliff hanger or something like that.
Jul 2, 2009 6:03 PM

Dec 2008
Don't mind them much in less they are about something dumb or they put them in at bad spots.
Jul 2, 2009 7:13 PM

Mar 2009
I don't mind fillers... as long as they're not excessive. Like Paranoia Agent, only three filler episodes to break it up a little, that's fine... any more and I would've dropped it.
^.^
Jul 2, 2009 7:57 PM

Nov 2008
I think it really depends on the show. Sometimes fillers can be fun and shed some light on the characters. Those are pretty enjoyable (for me). Other times they can just drag, and drag, and drag, and drag.
Jul 11, 2009 5:49 PM

Aug 2007
psgels said:
Drunk_Samurai, stop forcing your opinion down everyone's throat. Another common definition of 'filler' is an episode that doesn't contribute to the series in any way. Hence, the recap block in Wolf's Rain qualifies pretty much for that.

Too bad that's incorrect when referring to anime.
Jul 11, 2009 7:51 PM

Aug 2007
Amex_Yohko said:
Is there any anime show that completely devoid of fillers?

Original source anime don't have them.
Jul 13, 2009 4:57 PM

Jan 2009
That depends on the series and the fillers. For example the last fillers of Bleach are really good even if it pisses me of that they let us with a fucking big cliff hanger. *sigh*
Oh..but I HATE the fillers in Naruto they usualy suck big time.
Jul 13, 2009 5:01 PM

Jul 2008
Fillers fulfill their purpose, allowing time for the manga to catch up, and I respect them for that. But when it starts reaching 50 or so episodes of straight fills I get a little pissed.

If you need to have that many episodes of nothing so the manga can catch up you should have waited a few months before releasing the anime.
Jul 13, 2009 5:24 PM

Mar 2009
I like fillers here and there such as the soccer episode of Eureka Seven (which is kind of a filler but has character development)
Jul 13, 2009 5:25 PM

Feb 2008
Naruto fillers are good for silly .gif images and QUALITY
Jul 13, 2009 11:54 PM

Sep 2008
It depends on the filler. If it is fun to watch, then it's good. If it is wasting time while a really good story is going on, then it's annoying.
Sep 16, 2009 8:06 PM

Mar 2009
I don't particularly mind fillers. I think that if they help develop characters, like the fillers in the D. Gray Man, then I can totally watch them, no problem. The fillers I can't stand are the flashback and recap fillers.

Sep 16, 2009 8:09 PM
Jan 2009
Some are ok to watch but some are just really badly done.
Sep 16, 2009 8:09 PM

Mar 2009
If they are funny or interesting, then yes. Otherwise, no. Especially the types which flashback to the incidents that happened in previous episodes. That's crap.
Sep 16, 2009 8:14 PM
Sep 2007
Current Bleach fillers are far better than current canon story.
Sep 16, 2009 8:24 PM
Sep 2008
I enjoy filler. Sometimes I find that if there is too much action/awesomeness/plot I tend to get used to it and it becomes not as awesome. But with appropriately spaced filler, you get to enjoy all those awesome parts with the same appreciation for them.
Sep 16, 2009 8:29 PM

Sep 2008
Depends on the filler. I've seen some fillers I actually really liked. Then I've seen some really horrible ones I hated.
I never like it when there's a whole season of filler though. It's only okay when it's like one episode at a time.
Sep 16, 2009 8:30 PM
Sep 2008
Starrlightx3 said:
Depends on the filler. I've seen some fillers I actually really liked. Then I've seen some really horrible ones I hated.
I never like it when there's a whole season of filler though. It's only okay when it's like one episode at a time.

I have to say, I was this close to stop watching Naruto Shippuuden after having watched 4 filler arcs in a row.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What's the most important feature in an anime for you?

new_Ango - May 2

47 by DesuMaiden »»
36 seconds ago

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - Yesterday

53 by Zimmu »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Should live action shows get anime adaptations?

GoatPieceLuffy - May 2

10 by Rhae »»
3 minutes ago

» Does seinen anime focus on other things besides ultra manliness?

fallout45 - Yesterday

41 by LostSpectre »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Beach episode, hot spring episode or pool episode?

Absurdo_N - 2 hours ago

19 by Paul »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.