Forum Settings
Forums

How much money do you guys spend on anime per month?

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 6, 2009 7:18 AM
Dec 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
lordwindowlicker said:
Aeiou said:
lordwindowlicker said:
Not paying for something might ultimately have an adverse effect on the production of it.... <Simple concept.

If it weren't available for free, I wouldn't buy it anyway.

..and you're missing the point.

No. You missed the point.

Well one way of seeing it is, since there are free anime materials more people actually watch anime. And even if they don't buy the anime DVDs, they most probably will spend money on things related to anime [keychains, etc]. Still supporting the industry in a way I guess. The more hardcore fans will be buying the bluray collections.
May 6, 2009 11:19 AM

Dec 2008
Kind of feel bad but I've never spent a dime on Anime.
May 6, 2009 11:24 AM
Apr 2008
It is sad to think about, but if you average our my anime and manga spending, it probably only comes up to about 10$ a month since I started watching three years ago. That being said, I've been a student that entire time. I have a 3500$ anime purchase lined up for this December. It'll take the guilt right off my shoulders.
May 6, 2009 11:26 AM

Oct 2008
Depending on what's in the bargain bin, what's the weekly specials look like and what kind of sales happen in the month...about 150 dollars. Since I wait for sales and whatnot I actually get A LOT of shows so it's worth it. My biggest buy was last month at around $300, but that's rare; there was a great spring cleaning sale going on.

I use Rightstuf.com btw in case nobody knows what I'm talking about.

michaelfeb16 said:
I have a 3500$ anime purchase lined up for this December. It'll take the guilt right off my shoulders.

3500 all at once? holy smokes. This whole time I thought I went crazy with my buying.
Kid_at_HartMay 6, 2009 11:29 AM
May 6, 2009 11:51 AM

Aug 2007
michaelfeb16 said:
It is sad to think about, but if you average our my anime and manga spending, it probably only comes up to about 10$ a month since I started watching three years ago. That being said, I've been a student that entire time. I have a 3500$ anime purchase lined up for this December. It'll take the guilt right off my shoulders.

I don't get how people feel guilty for downloading.
May 6, 2009 12:10 PM
Apr 2008
I'm getting a 10,000$ enlistment bonus from the Navy and I have no debts to pay off. I also shop at Rightstuf. They make me happy.

Well, I feel a bit of guilt for downloading because someone created what I am downloaded with their time and effort. Even more importantly, those people depend on the money received from that piece of work to live. If you don't pay for it, you are screwing over some talented people and you are harming the longevity of the industry.

I will continue to download things that are not legally available to me (some subs that aren't officially streamed) and I will continue to download other things when circumstances hinder my purchase, but I will still make all efforts possible to get the discs in my hands at some point.

Or, to put it bluntly, anyone who downloads and does not later purchase the product is a stupid ass of the highest proportions because they are helping to screw themselves and fellow fans out of future products.
May 6, 2009 12:28 PM

Aug 2007
michaelfeb16 said:
Or, to put it bluntly, anyone who downloads and does not later purchase the product is a stupid ass of the highest proportions because they are helping to screw themselves and fellow fans out of future products.

This shows you don't know anything about piracy.
May 6, 2009 12:43 PM
Apr 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
michaelfeb16 said:

Of course not. I've never taken a ship by force.

Anyway, I've been download for years and have a quite accurate understanding of it. There are people who download because they have no other option (a small portion of downloaders) and people who claim to be in the former group but really do it because they are cheap. The fact is that people download rather than buying - something which directly leads to less revenue for making said thing which of course means less of it will be made. The positive feedback loop kills the system.
May 6, 2009 1:37 PM

Apr 2009
michaelfeb16 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
michaelfeb16 said:

Anyway, I've been download for years and have a quite accurate understanding of it. There are people who download because they have no other option (a small portion of downloaders) and people who claim to be in the former group but really do it because they are cheap. The fact is that people download rather than buying - something which directly leads to less revenue for making said thing which of course means less of it will be made. The positive feedback loop kills the system.

That's assuming that everyone, or at least a very large proportion of everyone, follows the path of downloading and not paying and that the only source of revenue is through purchasing and that decreasing revenue leads to reduced production. First off, there are many people who actually purchase anime, and given the inflated prices involved (how much do you think an anime dvd costs to make, even including producing the original show?) there are sufficient amounts of people to make producing anime possible. Also, dvd purchases are not the only source of revenue for anime. Like any other television series, there's advertising and merchandising that are independent of actually purchasing the intellectual property behind them. Then there's the fact that if something is still profitable, people will make it. As well, people who download intellectual property do so at no cost to the producer other than the opportunity cost of buying the show (which may very well have been zero if the person would not have bought it anyway). As well, by watching anime, people are more likely to buy that anime or merchandise for it or cause others to watch that anime.

In conclusion, after my long rant, I would like to say that it is the responsibility of the producer and marketer of any intellectual property to distribute it at fair and reasonable prices roughly corresponding to the actual value that people place on it. Don't put the responsibility on the consumer to buy, put the responsibility on the producer to sell.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
May 6, 2009 1:49 PM

Aug 2007
michaelfeb16 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
michaelfeb16 said:

They don't lose anything from piracy if the person never intended on buying it in the first place.
May 6, 2009 2:11 PM

Jan 2009
I guess a lot of people on here would work for free because who cares if they get paid. lol

I must have missed the fact that pirating sites use advertising to give back to the original creators of the work. Thanks for the insight Mawootad.

Anyway, they only get advertising revenue from shows aired on TV in Japan. And the only people that have a reason to complain about prices are the Japanese because they get charged way more than people outside of their country do.
Alchemistx4May 6, 2009 2:50 PM
May 6, 2009 2:46 PM
Apr 2008
Mawootad...by your logic I could come in your home and take anything I wanted if you didn't sell it to me at a price I wanted.

As for you Drunk_Samurai...yes...ignoring my comments will allow you to pretend you are right. Go ahead and keep doing that.
May 6, 2009 2:58 PM

Aug 2007
michaelfeb16 said:
Mawootad...by your logic I could come in your home and take anything I wanted if you didn't sell it to me at a price I wanted.

As for you Drunk_Samurai...yes...ignoring my comments will allow you to pretend you are right. Go ahead and keep doing that.

Actually you're the one who is ignoring what we are saying. Go ahead and bathe in your ignorance.
May 6, 2009 4:03 PM

Oct 2008
How much is anime supposed to cost if it's too expensive? Avatar's first season, a domestic show to the US, has 490 minutes (20 eps) of content and an MSRP of $52.99 and an imported show like Magic Knight Rayearth has 1312 minutes (49 eps) and an MSRP of 59.95. Not only is MKR imported, but they have to hire translators, mixers, a director, adapters, voice actors, sound engineers, subtitle makers and I'm sure a multitude of other people to get the show rolling and it's only 7 more dollars. Not to mention they spent an assload of money to actually gain the rights to the show. I find prices pretty reasonable considering they're imported shows.
May 6, 2009 4:18 PM

Dec 2007
MackDaddyHart said:
How much is anime supposed to cost if it's too expensive? Avatar's first season, a domestic show to the US, has 490 minutes (20 eps) of content and an MSRP of $52.99 and an imported show like Magic Knight Rayearth has 1312 minutes (49 eps) and an MSRP of 59.95. Not only is MKR imported, but they have to hire translators, mixers, a director, adapters, voice actors, sound engineers, subtitle makers and I'm sure a multitude of other people to get the show rolling and it's only 7 more dollars. Not to mention they spent an assload of money to actually gain the rights to the show. I find prices pretty reasonable considering they're imported shows.

From what I'm seeing here, the only acceptable price is free. And even that costs too much if doesn't meet people's ridiculous expectations. I too don't understand this "IT COST TOO MUCH" mentality anymore. Anime is cheaper than ever, yet people still spew the excuse, "I'm not paying $40 for 3 episodes". LOL, what? Where the hell are you shopping? If you are stupid enough to pay that much or too lazy to find a better price, you deserve to be overcharged. Besides, singles are on their way out. I can count on one hand (or maybe two) how many series are being released as singles these days (Darker Than Black, Baccano, and Claymore come to mind). That or they are release two discs at a time, in the case of Bandai (Code Geass, Toward The Terra, and Gurren Lagann come to mind). Everything else is whole boxsets or half season sets (and even the half season sets are released in boxsets eventually, at an even better price) and still people make excuses. All in all, this thread makes me sick. =(
KnittyMay 6, 2009 4:32 PM
May 6, 2009 4:40 PM
Oct 2008
-Jenny said:
MackDaddyHart said:

From what I'm seeing here, the only acceptable price is free. And even that costs too much if doesn't meet people's ridiculous expectations. I too don't understand this "IT COST TOO MUCH" mentality anymore. Anime is cheaper than ever, yet people still spew the excuse, "I'm not paying $40 for 3 episodes". LOL, what? Where the hell are you shopping? If you are stupid enough to pay that much or too lazy to find a better price, you deserve to be overcharged. Besides, singles are on their way out. I can count on one hand how many series are being released as singles these days (Darker Than Black, Baccano, and Claymore come to mind). That or they are release two discs at a time, in the case of Bandai. Everything else is whole boxsets or half season sets (and even the half season sets are released in boxsets eventually, at an even better price) and still people make excuses. All in all, this thread makes me sick. =(

^Agreed.

I have no idea where people are pulling these prices from, they must be shopping some place where the sellers are ripping them off because I've never bought a single DVD that was more than $20 and $25 UNLESS it was a Limited edition copy or a boxart copy. There are some good legitimate sites that sell anime for even less then that also.

That and like you've said, single DVD releases are hardly being released nowadays except for a select few series but even then a boxset is probably going to be released. Honestly most boxsets aren't any more expensive than those for regular TV shows and animated series.

Of course, the prices are going to vary depending on where you shop but that's why you do research to find a legitimate site that will give you the best deal. If you go on sites like Rightsuf a good portion of their singles are on sale for less than $10 and they have sales every week so a lot of boxsets end up being much less than what you would have originally paid.
May 6, 2009 4:51 PM

Dec 2007
Capellabun said:

I have no idea where people are pulling these prices from, they must be shopping some place where the sellers are ripping them off because I've never bought a single DVD that was more than $20 and $25 UNLESS it was a Limited edition copy or a boxart copy. There are some good legitimate sites that sell anime for even less then that also.

That's just it, this thread proves what I assumed all along. They aren't shopping at all! If they were shopping, they would know how much things cost. Everyone just repeats the same old bullshit over and over and over without anyone ever bothering to see if things have changed or improved.

And I'm the same as you, I rarely pay even $20 for a single DVD these days, unless it comes with the artbox. Now, years ago, before I could buy on the internet or go shop at my local Best Buy, all I had available to me was retail priced DVDs and I paid it! I paid full MSRP for all four of those Fruits Basket DVDs when they were released, which were probably the most expensive single DVD on shelves even then. But I had no choice then, if I wanted any anime at all, I had to buy it. =/ And when I compare that to nowadays, I'm constantly amazed at how cheap I can get things, which only makes me want to buy more.
KnittyMay 6, 2009 4:55 PM
May 6, 2009 5:19 PM

Feb 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
michaelfeb16 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
michaelfeb16 said:

They don't lose anything from piracy if the person never intended on buying it in the first place.

Of course that's assuming that there aren't people who would otherwise buy the anime if it wasn't available for download.

May 6, 2009 5:22 PM

Aug 2007
ArnoldK said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
michaelfeb16 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
michaelfeb16 said:

Of course that's assuming that there aren't people who would otherwise buy the anime if it wasn't available for download.

That doesn't have anything to do with people who would have never bought it in the first place.
May 6, 2009 5:26 PM

Feb 2009
-Jenny said:
MackDaddyHart said:

From what I'm seeing here, the only acceptable price is free. And even that costs too much if doesn't meet people's ridiculous expectations.

Take Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, for example. Funimation is offering it subtitled and streamed online for free on their website, and people are still watching the fansubs...

I don't think watching fansubs is terrible, like I said above I do stream some anime. But I like to support the industry whenever I can, and I think that's a good thing. People are being so cavalier about not spending a dime...

May 6, 2009 5:35 PM

Feb 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
ArnoldK said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
michaelfeb16 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
michaelfeb16 said:

That doesn't have anything to do with people who would have never bought it in the first place.

Just because not everyone is a lost sale doesn't mean that the feedback loop mentioned above is nonexistent.

May 6, 2009 5:35 PM

Sep 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
ArnoldK said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
michaelfeb16 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
michaelfeb16 said:

And unless you live in Japan or buy Japanese merchandise it won't have much of an affect to begin with. If the show is doing well enough in Japan to get a license over here then that would just be 'icing on the cake' or extra.

Buying shows with an American license or license other then the original does not help keep your anime alive. If it's doing well enough to obtain a license in a foreign country then it will survive regardless if you support that American company or not.

Not to say I don't buy anime I rate high enough or deem worthy after watching it for sake of collection, but I don't trick myself into believing that I'm helping keep it alive buy buying the American license.
May 6, 2009 5:56 PM

Nov 2007
ArnoldK said:

Take Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, for example. Funimation is offering it subtitled and streamed online for free on their website, and people are still watching the fansubs...

Honestly, that has nothing to do with anything. Streams suck, fansubs are higher quality. Both are free, so the HQ option is the superior choice. Why stream when you can get nice HD files (to watch on a playback device of your choice not forced in browser, to boot).
May 6, 2009 6:07 PM

Oct 2008
I believe it all loops together.

consumers buy anime products (DVD's, keychains, manga, etc) -> that money goes to the *native country*'s industry-> that money is spent by purchasing the rights to shows from Japan-> that money is used to make more and hopefully better anime.

The less money pumped in from the beginning affects the entire chain in a major way. Why don't great shows get licensed, released faster, and are "expensive"? Because it's not cheap to get shows and sub/dub them AND distribute them across the country. Why are we getting fewer and fewer high quality shows from Japan every year? Because Japanese industries don't have the money to get great directors and great animators.

This is solely gut feeling and I don't have numbers because I don't need numbers to prove a gut feeling.
Kid_at_HartMay 6, 2009 6:10 PM
May 6, 2009 6:26 PM
Oct 2008
MackDaddyHart said:

consumers buy anime products (DVD's, keychains, manga, etc) -> that money goes to the *native country*'s industry-> that money is spent by purchasing the rights to shows from Japan-> that money is used to make more and hopefully better anime.

The less money pumped in from the beginning affects the entire chain in a major way. Why don't great shows get licensed, released faster, and are "expensive"? Because it's not cheap to get shows and sub/dub them AND distribute them across the country. Why are we getting fewer and fewer high quality shows from Japan every year? Because Japanese industries don't have the money to get great directors and great animators.

This is solely gut feeling and I don't have numbers because I don't need numbers to prove a gut feeling.

While I can only agree with bits and pieces of your statement you can't really say they are true based on a "gut feeling" especially in a discussion where you are trying to prove a point to others.

Japanese companies really don't rely on the American market as much as we'd like to believe but as of recently the Japanese government has been pushing to boost anime overseas.
May 6, 2009 6:28 PM

Apr 2008
I spend zero dollars on anime.
May 6, 2009 7:23 PM

Aug 2007
ArnoldK said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
ArnoldK said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
michaelfeb16 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
michaelfeb16 said:

Just because not everyone is a lost sale doesn't mean that the feedback loop mentioned above is nonexistent.

They exist but there are many more who would have never bought it in the first place.
May 7, 2009 6:12 AM
Aug 2008
Capellabun said:
MackDaddyHart said:

While I can only agree with bits and pieces of your statement you can't really say they are true based on a "gut feeling" especially in a discussion where you are trying to prove a point to others.

Japanese companies really don't rely on the American market as much as we'd like to believe but as of recently the Japanese government has been pushing to boost anime overseas.

Ever talked to Funimation or Bandai? That's pretty accurate. I have been to panels on U.S. distribution at Ohayocon. Simply denying you are hurting the industry because it is in Japan is completely naive.

Drunk_Samurai said:
ArnoldK said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
ArnoldK said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
michaelfeb16 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
michaelfeb16 said:

They exist but there are many more who would have never bought it in the first place.

So, if you had a job based solely on tips, say, you are a painter. I come in and I really like one of your paintings. I join a website to talk about how much I like your painting and other paintings I think are good. You are thinking, "Great, he's going to buy my painting, I'll have money for food and rent." I take a bunch of pictures of your painting close up, you ask me how much I want to spend on it, and I tell you I had no intention of buying it, I already have pictures of it, fend for yourself, I did not have any intention of paying for the service you did in the first place, even though I took advantage of it.

People get paid for these things based on revenue. You watching a fansub produces no revenue. Do you know how the entertainment business works, bud? I do, considering it is what I am in college for. Because the revenue is based on people paying for a service, you need people to buy your products. Having the intention of buying a product or not has nothing to do with it. You did not buy it, you used the service. Or even outside of the realm of entertainment, I have no intentions of buying a Cadillac, so if I find one and take it, is that perfectly reasonable?

I'll say it a few more times because you seem to enjoy repeating the same point that continues to be argued against, while adding no further counter-points to your claim, deciding to rely on the fact that you are right, so why come up with a better way to articulate oneself.

Sales are revenue. Revenue is what keeps the industry alive. If you think anime has not been hurt by pirating, (besides the current economic situation) tell me why there have been large numbers in the drops of sales and why you see news about a different animation studio closing on a regular basis now?

It is called pirating and it is illegal. If it is not licensed in the United States yet, fine. If it is, buy the damn show, or don't even watch it. I don't want your kind in my favorite hobby. Anyone who claims to be an anime fan and has not bought a DVD based on their reluctance to just spend money is not an anime fan, and can go piss on a different hobby.
May 7, 2009 6:13 AM
Dec 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:

Yeah. Instead since they watch anime now, they help to increase popularity of good animes, and also the sale of other products that come from the production of the anime.
May 7, 2009 8:42 AM

May 2009
Aound $40... that's almost all I spend my allowance on.
May 7, 2009 9:00 AM

May 2009
f$%^ man... no wonder the Anime industry is so f#$%ed up almost all the people use torrent sites or netflex them. dang i guess i was wrong thinking that every Anime fan is a collector or at least supports them some way. the way it looks now i think we are going to see less and less anime in the U.S.

May 7, 2009 9:18 AM

Apr 2009
Nothing.
if we die we'll meet again in valhalla...
May 7, 2009 9:27 AM

Jul 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:

A question for the masses who say this -- and I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm honestly curious -- do you really only consume free entertainment? Do you never go the the movies, buy cds, or pay for cable? If not only anime but other entertainment were only available to paying customers, would you just sit around doing nothing? Or do you see movies, tv, and books worth paying for, but not anime?

(Again, general you.)

oh, these little earthquakes
May 7, 2009 9:51 AM
Apr 2008
I didn't think saying that I feel guilt over downloading a show before I but it would cause such a shit storm. I thought that was a pretty standard thought.

It'd be nice if someone who is decent at debate came in on the opposing side. I can't add much because everyone else here is already smacking down the terrible arguments of people who refuse to spend their money on their hobby.

I guess I'll respond to the point that generally shows that licensed are already successful in the Japan. This is true and quite nice for the American audience (it acts as a good filter). Despite this, there are still people relying on that product for their livelihood. Maybe you don't like dubs, but that does not give you a right to steal a product that is legally belongs to the licensing company.

In addition, you speak as if R1 releases don't benefit the original producer. This is wrong; hell, licensed releases are like free money for them. They do absolutely no work - they just charge Funimation (or whoever else) an assload of money per episode and forget about it.

I guess the big problem here is that so many of us act like watching anime is some basic human right. It isn't. Watching anime is a hobby and often an expensive one.
May 7, 2009 10:48 AM

Aug 2007
michaelfeb16 said:
So, if you had a job based solely on tips, say, you are a painter. I come in and I really like one of your paintings. I join a website to talk about how much I like your painting and other paintings I think are good. You are thinking, "Great, he's going to buy my painting, I'll have money for food and rent." I take a bunch of pictures of your painting close up, you ask me how much I want to spend on it, and I tell you I had no intention of buying it, I already have pictures of it, fend for yourself, I did not have any intention of paying for the service you did in the first place, even though I took advantage of it.

People get paid for these things based on revenue. You watching a fansub produces no revenue. Do you know how the entertainment business works, bud? I do, considering it is what I am in college for. Because the revenue is based on people paying for a service, you need people to buy your products. Having the intention of buying a product or not has nothing to do with it. You did not buy it, you used the service. Or even outside of the realm of entertainment, I have no intentions of buying a Cadillac, so if I find one and take it, is that perfectly reasonable?

I'll say it a few more times because you seem to enjoy repeating the same point that continues to be argued against, while adding no further counter-points to your claim, deciding to rely on the fact that you are right, so why come up with a better way to articulate oneself.

Sales are revenue. Revenue is what keeps the industry alive. If you think anime has not been hurt by pirating, (besides the current economic situation) tell me why there have been large numbers in the drops of sales and why you see news about a different animation studio closing on a regular basis now?

It is called pirating and it is illegal. If it is not licensed in the United States yet, fine. If it is, buy the damn show, or don't even watch it. I don't want your kind in my favorite hobby. Anyone who claims to be an anime fan and has not bought a DVD based on their reluctance to just spend money is not an anime fan, and can go piss on a different hobby.

Your entire post is moot because you tried to throw in copyright infringement in with physical stealing. The problem with companies is they try to count every single instance of piracy as a lost sale which is complete bullshit. I have bought stuff after pirating it.

Anomalous said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

A question for the masses who say this -- and I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm honestly curious -- do you really only consume free entertainment? Do you never go the the movies, buy cds, or pay for cable? If not only anime but other entertainment were only available to paying customers, would you just sit around doing nothing? Or do you see movies, tv, and books worth paying for, but not anime?

(Again, general you.)

I pirate everything except movies since they are a waste of space and usually don't pirate programs.
May 7, 2009 5:23 PM

Apr 2009
wahahaha iSpend my money on technology/gadgets, anime is free just like music, didn't u know?

http://www.power-anime.fr/download/anime/
May 7, 2009 5:31 PM

Feb 2009
nani mo desu~...
AilisaMay 7, 2009 5:35 PM
May 7, 2009 6:53 PM

Jul 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:

Anomalous said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

(Again, general you.)

I pirate everything except movies since they are a waste of space and usually don't pirate programs.

But isn't that at least partially due to the fact that you can do so? I highly doubt that you would completely do without those things if pirating wasn't possible.

I just don't buy the "if I couldn't pirate, I wouldn't buy" excuse from most people.

oh, these little earthquakes
May 7, 2009 7:30 PM

Nov 2007
Anomalous said:

But isn't that at least partially due to the fact that you can do so? I highly doubt that you would completely do without those things if pirating wasn't possible.

I just don't buy the "if I couldn't pirate, I wouldn't buy" excuse from most people.

I haven't bought music in over a decade. I haven't ever bought a movie or TV series. I do buy craptons of anime (relatively speaking) but I'm cutting back my spending on that front too, as I already mentioned in this thread. I get by just fine without music, movies and TV thanks to anime.

For me, it's not a case of "I'm too poor" or "it's too expensive" it's simply a case of I don't care about most music, movies or TV. I do care about anime. Enough to put money down for it.

Also I had "Pay TV" (satellite, not cable) for a year but watched it so little I cancelled the service as it was costing far more a month than I thought it was worth ($50 when I watched maybe an hour a day if that). I haven't bothered with FTA TV since, either. Just nothing on TV worth my time.

Anime and light gaming is enough to satisfy all of my entertainment needs. I would have spent a bare fraction on anime that I have if I hadn't downloaded the series to begin with, though. Last rough estimate my collection was in the $22k spent range, I'd have spent maybe $1k tops if I hadn't downloaded stuff or otherwise seen it beforehand. I dislike blind buys in general.
May 7, 2009 9:39 PM

Aug 2007
Anomalous said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Anomalous said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

(Again, general you.)

No. I wouldn't buy a lot of the games I have downloaded. I already said I don't care and will always pirate. But I also said I have bought stuff after pirating it before.
May 7, 2009 10:18 PM

Jan 2009
Okay, we get it already. You don't care about supporting the anime industry so you don't need to keep on trying to justify your actions. I think we all know what type of character you have by now Drunk guy.
May 10, 2009 5:36 PM
Apr 2009
I usually buy 1 - 3 volumes of Fruits Basket a month , so maybe around $10 - $35 a month ?
May 10, 2009 11:24 PM

May 2008
Alchemistx4 said:
Okay, we get it already. You don't care about supporting the anime industry so you don't need to keep on trying to justify your actions. I think we all know what type of character you have by now Drunk guy.

Judging someone like that is very rude of you.
Don't tell me you feel the need to pay for everything you want/need because the society's rules say so.
You say don't try to justify the action of piracy, but you're also trying to justify your self-righteousness.
The Japanese anime related companies already count the possibility of people who pirate their works.
As animation business grows and their marketing plans successfully gathers more audience, the animation companies will still be able to deliver the products and make profit.
Even if I enjoy watching these animated movies, as being a college student with a no job, I will not use my limited pocket money for my amusement.
The best thing I can do is to support them by spreading the good words (free advertisements using my time).
May 10, 2009 11:25 PM

Jan 2008
Asako said:

Last rough estimate my collection was in the $22k spent range, I'd have spent maybe $1k tops if I hadn't downloaded stuff or otherwise seen it beforehand. I dislike blind buys in general.

22k as in 22,000, twenty two thousand? just wanted to double check that.
May 11, 2009 12:26 AM
Dec 2008
juun said:
Alchemistx4 said:

Don't tell me you feel the need to pay for everything you want/need because the society's rules say so.
You say don't try to justify the action of piracy, but you're also trying to justify your self-righteousness.
The Japanese anime related companies already count the possibility of people who pirate their works.
As animation business grows and their marketing plans successfully gathers more audience, the animation companies will still be able to deliver the products and make profit.
Even if I enjoy watching these animated movies, as being a college student with a no job, I will not use my limited pocket money for my amusement.
The best thing I can do is to support them by spreading the good words (free advertisements using my time).

Nicely said. I do recommend good anime titles to my friends and some of them end up buying the dvd set to watch. Supporting the anime industry in a way ^^ If piracy kills the industry, the japanese companies would be enforcing piracy laws all around the world. But that will have a negative effect on sales. A good reference will be the Odex issue in Singapore. Their products ended up being boycotted when they decided to sue people who download anime.
May 11, 2009 12:27 AM

Jan 2009
juun said:
Alchemistx4 said:

Kind of late to the topic but okay. It's already been discussed that if you don't have the means to buy anime it's okay but to be reluctant to even buy your favorite shows when you do have the means then your just being a cheap ass that does not want to support the thing you claim to like. Drunk guy said he doesn't care and will not buy it even if he had the money and will continue to just pirate everything and not feel bad about it. I'm paraphrasing a lot of this but I you like you could go back and read the past posts. I think I have enough material to make my assessment of the guys character. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me.
May 11, 2009 12:34 AM

Nov 2007
KhalReblic23 said:
Asako said:

Last rough estimate my collection was in the $22k spent range, I'd have spent maybe $1k tops if I hadn't downloaded stuff or otherwise seen it beforehand. I dislike blind buys in general.

22k as in 22,000, twenty two thousand? just wanted to double check that.

Yes.
May 11, 2009 12:52 AM

May 2008

It is true that I didn't bother much of the previous posts. I was being rude as well quoting you to express my idea, so I apologize for that.
I didn't mean to just blatantly say that your opinion's wrong.
May 11, 2009 3:10 AM

Dec 2008
0$, or if I want to keep the anime for later viewing around 30 cents for a blank dvd.
May 11, 2009 9:10 AM

Feb 2008
I don't buy physical media of any kind. To me it doesn't matter if it's a cd, dvd, or blu-ray disc. I would gladly pay for the anime that I currently download, if there was a service that allowed a-la-carte' purchasing like iTunes, or a subscription service for a certain number of shows a month or something......in a format without DRM. However, since no such service exists currently, I will continue to download.

My reasoning for dislike physical media is that at some point it will be rendered useless by advancements in technology, or replaced with digital distribution anyway. And I don't want to have to replace all of my collection once stores stop selling DVD players and all of the ones in the world end up broken or in musuems.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Have you encountered any waifus that you can ogle 24 hours a day and still not get bored [there are a few]?

Catalano - May 8

10 by ZeroMajor12 »»
5 minutes ago

» Have you ever felt so satisfied after finishing certain anime that you don't even want its sequel? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 12

50 by mo_lave »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days? ( 1 2 )

anizawa89 - May 10

53 by EcchiGodMamster »»
10 minutes ago

» List of canceled anime.

ZXEAN - 7 hours ago

24 by NonAtmospheric »»
14 minutes ago

» Hidden Gems of Spring 2024

ForgotEyeWasHere - Yesterday

26 by Ruschnav »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.