Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 6, 2009 2:57 PM

Jul 2008
The first Fullmetal Alchemist anime is what got me into anime. The manga is what got me into manga. You could say I'm a bit of the fan of this franchise. Unfortunately, I am slowly being driven crazy by the sheer amount of people asking the same exact questions. I'm just the type of person that's easily irritated by this. So here goes my attempt to make a simple FAQ thread for those that haven't been following the news for this second series as obsessively as I have.

Is this a remake or a sequel?
This is a readaptation following the manga more closely.

Isn't the manga still on-going? Won't this new series just ending up creating another version of this series?
Popular opinion says that the manga is likely to end around the hundred chapter mark. As of right now, I can easily see that happening. The manga has been spiraling closer and closer to the end lately. I don't want to give any details since they are spoilers, but I don't think the story is going to drag on too much longer. Lets do some math: 100 - 93 = 7 That means around 7 more months before it ends. Let's says the anime gets two episode a week for the next year - that gives us 52 episodes. 100 chapters will probably be able to fit into 52 episodes. Of course, this is assuming the manga will get around to ending. If not, say hello to a third Fullmetal Alchemist cannon.

I'm watching this new series since I was a fan of the old one. I was wondering why so-and-so are acting out of character?
Chances are, they're not. The manga characterizes everyone a whole lot differently. This will be very noticeable with Edward, Al, and Roy. Edward is a whole lot darker and more confident of himself in the manga; Al is more badass and Roy is more... not like his first anime counterpart. Better people than me have written things on the subject. See the following sites on Edward and Roy for more information, but BEWARE OF SPOILERS ON THESE WEBSITES.

Why is the first episode nothing like the manga?
They already animated the manga opening in the first series. Why do it again? Besides, we get an allusion to Lust and Lior at the end of the episode. Lior is not that important to the manga, and neither is Rose in case you were wondering. Besides, we get little details that tell us we are dealing with a more manga faithful adaptation - like Edward's attitude towards death, his alchemy style, the brief moments we see the big bad, the references to "something wrong with this country," and Hohenheim is prominently featured in the opening.

This series isn't as dark as the original? What gives?
Okay, so this hasn't been asked very much here so far, but it might be. Just for the record, the manga tries to make "comedy central in the manga because she [the manga-ka] thinks it is intended for entertainment, and tries to minimalize focus on sad scenes[1] while the original anime has no problem tackling the sadder moments of the series.

When does the first anime deviate from the manga?
The very first episode. The entire Lior deal is a lot more fleshed out and Edward is noticeably less crazy/abrasive/manic in the anime. Just look at how Edward introduces himself to the people of Lior (one two three four) while the anime has him introduced by Lust. Chronologically, it deviates even further since Dante doesn't exist in the manga.

Where's Ling/Mei/Olivier, etc?
Though the manga fandom has grown to love these characters and we can't wait to see in them in the anime, it's probably going to take a while. Ling first appears in chapter 32. Olivier first appears at the end of chapter 63.

When will this be dubbed into English?
FUNimation is already streaming it and they do have rights to dub it. Now we just have to wait for more news on the subject.

Etc.
These are just the questions I thought of while browsing around the forums here and various other places. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask them. I'll do my best to answer them. Likewise, if you have any suggestions to add to this list, please feel free to do so.
adamantineMay 10, 2009 4:02 PM

BEGINNER
Apr 6, 2009 3:34 PM
May 2008
Nice FAQ (only question remaining for me is "Why was this remake made?")

I'm worried about the new tone though; the "humorous story with moments of seriousness" doesn't feel right so far.

Apr 6, 2009 3:36 PM

Oct 2008
scherzo said:

Popular?
Worth the money?

Also did you ever watch FMA?

It was the same way. :|
A action/adventure/comedy.
Apr 6, 2009 3:57 PM

Jul 2008
Viperslayer said:
scherzo said:

Popular?
Worth the money?

Also did you ever watch FMA?

It was the same way. :|
A action/adventure/comedy.

Yeah, I'm guessing they remade it because of how popular it is. And as to to why a remake instead of a continuation, maybe because it takes more effort to write more original material? :|

I definitely thought the original series had more drama. Wiki has some info the manga's comedy: "Arakawa made comedy central in the manga because she thinks it is intended for entertainment, and tried to minimalize focus on sad scenes." The anime did not "minimalize focus on sad scenes" which is hardly a bad thing. Edward's aversion to death and killing is more natural given his background. I don't know how this new series's tone is going to be since this first episode doesn't give too much to judge on.

BEGINNER
Apr 6, 2009 3:57 PM
May 2008
Viperslayer said:

Popular?
Worth the money?

Just wondering what the "official" rationale is behind this (those are obvious).

The first FMA anime was much darker in tone, for the most part. It wasn't your average action/adventure/comedy shonen (as this is shaping up to be). ^^

@Adamantine thanks for the answer, it is too early to judge too much, indeed

Apr 7, 2009 1:55 AM

Jul 2007
scherzo said:

Just wondering what the "official" rationale is behind this (those are obvious).

The first FMA anime was much darker in tone, for the most part. It wasn't your average action/adventure/comedy shonen (as this is shaping up to be). ^^

Official rationale?
1. FMA manga is nearly finished.
2. FMA1 still sells well.
3. Both Arakawa and people at Studio BONES have shown interest on redoing the series once manga ends.

And it seems you got quite a wrong impression of FMAv2. Yes it won't be as emo/slit_my_wrists as first anime, but it will still be quite dark story. Its just that "dark" and "light" parts will be balanced, instead of 52 episode storyline telling us on how the world is fracked up and there's no hope for anyone, aka FMA1.
Apr 7, 2009 6:51 AM

Jul 2007
I loved the original anime, i prefer my anime to be more serious in most cases.

FMA2 may not be for me, but it seems like it will be a fun watch regardless :)

Thanks for clearing up some of my questions.
Apr 7, 2009 7:35 AM

Jul 2007
humorous story with moments of seriousness? um, no.
yes there is humor and funny moments (especially imo Ed and Ling interaction... )but the story is completely serious and probably darker than the AU crap of the first anime...

I did love the first anime, but when I read the manga only then I truly became a fan because the story is far more complicated and impressive with far more character development... that's why the anime got 8 on my list and the manga 10.

I always wished there will be a second anime that will be based on the actual manga, not only because I wanted to see it animated but because I wished ppl who only saw the anime could see it and see what they've missed.

the only downside is the change in cast for Roy.. that's really depressing... Miki is great but his Roy lacks the arrogance that Ohkawa delivered perfectly. I don't mind Hawkeye's change of seiyuu, but Roy's was soooo noticeable ;___;

anyway looking forward to when it's actually the manga story ^^
Apr 7, 2009 12:39 PM

Jul 2008
myth720 said:
humorous story with moments of seriousness? um, no.
yes there is humor and funny moments (especially imo Ed and Ling interaction... )but the story is completely serious and probably darker than the AU crap of the first anime...

I did love the first anime, but when I read the manga only then I truly became a fan because the story is far more complicated and impressive with far more character development... that's why the anime got 8 on my list and the manga 10.

I always wished there will be a second anime that will be based on the actual manga, not only because I wanted to see it animated but because I wished ppl who only saw the anime could see it and see what they've missed.

the only downside is the change in cast for Roy.. that's really depressing... Miki is great but his Roy lacks the arrogance that Ohkawa delivered perfectly. I don't mind Hawkeye's change of seiyuu, but Roy's was soooo noticeable ;___;

anyway looking forward to when it's actually the manga story ^^

IDK, the first anime really dwelled on some of the sadder more dramatic bits something the manga avoids. FMA is not exactly a comedy, but compared to some of the depressing stuff that went down in the anime... I reworded it a bit though, hopefully it sounds better now.

The manga is definitely what made me into a huge fan. I might be normal now if it wasn't for this. >__>

I saw the first series dubbed (don't shoot me!) and felt like Roy's voice was really jarring in this series. But that's also because I keep picturing this weird mix of Urahara and Lockon.
adamantineApr 7, 2009 2:22 PM

BEGINNER
Apr 7, 2009 12:53 PM

Feb 2008
Thanks alot for this FAQ :]
Apr 17, 2009 2:05 AM

Feb 2008
Great idea to have this FAQ, I was also starting to grow tired of seeing the repetive questions in the threads. Sadly, I know there will still be alot a people who will ignore this thread and keep asking those same damm questions in other threads. (This never fails...) ><

Oh! Another question I see popping up quite a bit you can add to this list: "When will this be dubbed into English?"
Apr 17, 2009 1:21 PM

May 2008
Thanks for the FAQ :)

May 10, 2009 2:30 PM

Jul 2008
SailorCardKnight said:
Great idea to have this FAQ, I was also starting to grow tired of seeing the repetive questions in the threads. Sadly, I know there will still be alot a people who will ignore this thread and keep asking those same damm questions in other threads. (This never fails...) ><

Oh! Another question I see popping up quite a bit you can add to this list: "When will this be dubbed into English?"

Added the dubbing question. :)

BEGINNER
May 10, 2009 3:43 PM

Dec 2007
adamantine said:

When will this be dubbed into English?
At this point there's no indication is will be dubbed into English. That doesn't mean it wont happen - dubbing generally takes a while and FUNimation seems to already have rights to stream the subs. Whether they dub it or just release DVDs with subs is up to them.

Not to be nit picky, but this gives the impression that they have the streaming rights only, which is incorrect. According to their press release, they have the whole license: digital, broadcast, DVD and merchandising rights. (source). And as to whether it will get dubbed or not, there is no question. This is a huge series for them, so it will definitely get a dub, it'll just take a little time.
May 10, 2009 4:04 PM

Jul 2008
-Jenny said:
Not to be nit picky, but this gives the impression that they have the streaming rights only, which is incorrect. According to their press release, they have the whole license: digital, broadcast, DVD and merchandising rights. (source). And as to whether it will get dubbed or not, there is no question. This is a huge series for them, so it will definitely get a dub, it'll just take a little time.

I could not remember if they had picked out dubbing rights, too. I vaguely remember something that said they hadn't yet - glad to see I'm wrong. I enjoyed the original dub a lot. :)

BEGINNER
May 10, 2009 4:10 PM

Dec 2007
adamantine said:

I could not remember if they had picked out dubbing rights, too. I vaguely remember something that said they hadn't yet - glad to see I'm wrong. I enjoyed the original dub a lot. :)

I would have been floored if Funimation didn't get the whole license. LOL And I really enjoyed the original dub a lot too. <3
May 10, 2009 4:34 PM

Jul 2008
-Jenny said:
adamantine said:

I would have been floored if Funimation didn't get the whole license. LOL And I really enjoyed the original dub a lot too. <3

I'm going to miss Alphonse's voice since I think the VA went through puberty. xD

BEGINNER
May 10, 2009 4:43 PM

Dec 2007
nice FAQ ^___^
it will save lots of place and nerves at discussion topics but only in case someone will bother to read it instead of posting one more lame question.
May 10, 2009 5:30 PM
Oct 2008
adamantine said:
-Jenny said:
adamantine said:

I'm going to miss Alphonse's voice since I think the VA went through puberty. xD

Yeah, he went through puberty. After hearing him voice a young Ginko in Mushi-shi I don't think we'll be hearing him as Alphonse again :(
May 10, 2009 8:45 PM

Jul 2008
Capellabun said:
adamantine said:
-Jenny said:
adamantine said:

Yeah, he went through puberty. After hearing him voice a young Ginko in Mushi-shi I don't think we'll be hearing him as Alphonse again :(

Maybe he'll pull an extra effort of making his voice higher again. :P

Love the FAQ by the way. It'll save some headaches.
May 10, 2009 9:42 PM
Oct 2008
Gin-iro said:
Capellabun said:
adamantine said:
-Jenny said:
adamantine said:

Maybe he'll pull an extra effort of making his voice higher again. :P

Love the FAQ by the way. It'll save some headaches.

It's not so much that his voice his deeper, his voice is pretty high right now and I think putting it any higher would sound award. It's more like he doesn't sound like a young 12 year old boy anymore and making his voice go higher probably wouldn't get the same effect.
May 11, 2009 11:17 AM

Aug 2007
adamantine said:
Let's says the anime gets two episode a week for the next year - that gives us 52 episodes.
Um... did you mean one episode a week? (besides the fact that the show only airs weekly in the first place)
May 14, 2009 6:02 AM

Jan 2009
well i love the new full metal alchemist <3<3 the bast anime ever all of the FMA <3
but will brotherhood go acsactly like the manga ?
Edward Elric <3 Lavi <3 Fai. D Flourite <3 Shizu-Chan <3 Sause Uchiha ! <33
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=11018 - FMAB fan club. for thoses who wants to join ^^

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.