Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 2, 2009 1:59 PM

Nov 2008
The Japanese region 2 DVD for Ponyo will be released on July 3. There will be an expensive "special edition" with lots of extras, and a much less expensive English subtitled edition. There is also a Blu-Ray release of the "making of", but no actual Blu-Ray release of the movie, AFAIK.
dbaranyiApr 2, 2009 7:55 PM
Jun 2, 2009 2:51 AM

Oct 2007
*sigh*

So no English release yet...dammit...
Jun 27, 2009 3:29 AM

Apr 2009
can't wait! ;D
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 8, 2009 7:53 PM

Nov 2008
I just finished watching the R2 DVD of "Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea", Studio Ghibli DVD VWDZ 8126, 101 minutes. With the movie DVD came a second DVD with a number of information features, making-of videos, ads and so on. There was also a very nice post card-sized booklet with it that contains a number of pages of stills from the movie as well as a number of pages of stickers with character stills from the movie. (There's no way that I'll be peeling those stickers!) BTW - there are little "Magic Kingdom" symbol-images subtly placed in various locations in the booklet and on the DVDs and packaging.

The quality of the DVD is spectacular. The Blu-Ray version must be even more spectacular. The English subtitles for the movie are sometimes a bit quirky. Sometimes it's just a matter of decision on how to say something, other times, such as for the lyrics of the ending song, the translators just seemed to have missed what the Japanese lyrics were actually saying. But it's really no loss for me, and the eventual North American release will likely have fresh subs to go along with the English dialog.

This is such a lyrically beautiful movie. It's the sort of film where I want to drag strangers off the street and sit them down in front of it. The voice acting is wonderful and all of the characters are great. (I have "evil dreams" of helping Lisa feel "less lonely" when her husband is off fishing… LOL)

This was well worth the buy and the wait!
Jul 24, 2009 3:25 PM

Nov 2008
The North American release is scheduled for October, and it comes out in theaters in August (next month!), so we won't have to wait too long. I really like the R2 DVD, though. I hope Disney does a good job with the release in theaters and on DVD.
Aug 5, 2009 4:43 PM

Mar 2009
just saw a commercial for the theater release of it, i hope it does ok at the box office or atleast in the media reviews, disney does a great job at handling the english voice casting throughout all miyazaki films, but the marketing is TERRIBLE

basically ull only see ads in stores etc in major cities, and this is the first time i saw a commercial of the theater release and its just about to come out? no matter how good the movie may be, noones gonna watch it if they dont hear about it
Aug 12, 2009 9:39 PM

Apr 2009
Cant wait for this Friday its going to be great
mrbushido said:
just saw a commercial for the theater release of it, i hope it does ok at the box office or atleast in the media reviews, disney does a great job at handling the english voice casting throughout all miyazaki films, but the marketing is TERRIBLE

basically ull only see ads in stores etc in major cities, and this is the first time i saw a commercial of the theater release and its just about to come out? no matter how good the movie may be, noones gonna watch it if they dont hear about it

Yea thats true I havent seen ONE commercial for this movie

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gake no Ue no Ponyo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Feb 7, 2009

132 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
Mar 25, 6:37 PM

» Does anybody else hate Lisa?

Angry_Anime_Nerd - Feb 9, 2021

18 by MichaelJackson »»
Feb 19, 11:31 PM

» Everything Wrong With Spirited Away

Manga_Etc - Apr 28, 2017

1 by Draconix814 »»
Jan 15, 2018 5:06 PM

» My review and dub discussion

JTurner - Aug 17, 2009

6 by Slyr3do0n »»
Apr 23, 2013 5:56 AM

» Release Today!

VelvetEris - Aug 14, 2009

23 by omotenium »»
Aug 17, 2009 1:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.