Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 5, 2014 9:07 PM

Feb 2014
Oh man, so many things I want to post!

First a couple tips on logistics, to anyone planning a Japan trip:

1. Several months before your trip, make sure you have a current Passport.
2. A few months out, when you choose your hotel, many offer a shuttle bus to/from the airport. I think this is the easiest way to first get to your hotel.
3. Also a few months before your trip, I recommend ordering a JR Pass voucher online.
4. At Narita airport, exchange the voucher for the actual JR Pass (lets you ride all JR trains, and some bullet trains).
5. If you can't exchange at Narita, most train stations have little JR offices where you can make the exchange.
6. When you get to a train station, use the machines outside to purchase either a PASMO or SUICA card. These let you ride most subways in both Tokyo and Kyoto, and work just like a rechargeable subway card in the U.S.
(Between JR Pass and SUICA or PASMO, most of your train/subway options are covered)
*^^* Click to hug Mami! -->

Snarky memes & witty GIFs for All!
Stolen from PDot19, with credit to Ntad

Feb 5, 2014 9:08 PM

Feb 2014
OK now the fun part. Here were my favorite things:

Tokyo:
1. Shibuya - my favorite district! All kinds of stores, very vibrant day or night, and the station has the Hachiko statue.
2. Ikebukuro - another great district, featuring shopping and street entertainment (saw a magician there)
3. Ueno - there's a park perfect for feeling like you're outside the city for a while.
4. Imperial Palace grounds - you can normally only visit the garden area, but it's gorgeous! I loved the contrast between the grounds and the surrounding skyscrapers!
5. Tokyo Skytree, or Tokyo Tower - Skytree's taller but Tokyo Tower's easier to figure out how to enter. :) Both cost $, but wow what incredible views!
6. Odaiba - fun complex area, with a big arcade, Tokyo Mega Web (Toyota showcase area) and a ferris wheel*.
7. Himeji Castle - preserved inside and out, very authentic experience. English-language guides are very helpful for getting the whole experience. You will have to take off your shoes and wear slippers that they provide.
8. Ghibli museum (in mitaka) - kid-centered stuff of course, but they have some interesting exhibits on animation.

* Actually, Ferris Wheels seem to be everywhere. The Japanese love them almost as much as stamps...

Kyoto:
1. Kyomizu Dera - beautiful complex, fantastic views/pics of Kyoto (since you're in the surrounding mountains)
2. Historic streets near Kiyomizu Dera - best atmosphere in Japan, IMO.
3. Kinkakuji Temple - gold colored temple, pretty straightforward. If I remember right, 3 different types of architecture (1 per floor)
Common_SenseiFeb 5, 2014 9:18 PM
*^^* Click to hug Mami! -->

Snarky memes & witty GIFs for All!
Stolen from PDot19, with credit to Ntad

Feb 5, 2014 9:29 PM

Apr 2010
Dont forget to bring a towel.
Its better to have burned out than to have never really shined...
Feb 5, 2014 9:56 PM

Mar 2013
Shiratori99 said:
Bluballz said:
Ok guys. I've decided to go to Japan this year for a 4 week holiday.

I've decided...

Man if I could just decide on a whim to take a month long holiday in Japan I'd be already living there. Damn middle class making me jealous ~

Dont just think i havent been saving for awhile. Ive been saving money for the last couple months haha.
Feb 5, 2014 10:03 PM
Jul 2013
japan is a lovely place full of weirdos and nope.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

678 by Hitagi__Furude »»
34 minutes ago

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

28 by Rhaelynne »»
35 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 1 hour ago

0 by Thy-Veseveia »»
1 hour ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

24 by DreamWindow »»
1 hour ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

41 by Merve2Love »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.