Forum Settings
Forums
New
Girlfriend or Best Friend
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 9, 2013 8:02 AM

May 2012
Shanaaaa said:

Anyways, my best friend from high school and I don't talk anymore because we live on other sides of the country.

^so much!

I had a "best friend 4 eva, bro"....we speak once a month now that he's moved away...so much for "best friend".

Now I have a few friends but nowhere NEAR that amount of intimacy / sharing everything....
S H O U T _ O L D _ B U T _ G O L D
Dec 10, 2013 5:20 PM

Mar 2009
lupadim said:
You can get new girlfriends but you can't get a new best friend

You can, in fact, get a new best friend. This remark is so incorrect I want to spit on it. If you lose a friend or do not develop a friendship in childhood... guess what, you are not doomed to a life of no best friends ever.

Anyway, regardless, I will spout the cliche 'your partner should be your best friend' line, because I think it's true. Possibly easier for me to believe because I consider any gender an option.
Dec 10, 2013 5:29 PM
May 2013
my best friend (i dont have only a person though)
Dec 10, 2013 5:32 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
JuviaBlue said:
Your girlfriend should be your best friend.

although I am antisocial

I believe one partner who has it all should suffice
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Dec 10, 2013 5:58 PM

Apr 2012
a_puffy_vulva said:
My girlfriend if I thought she was "the one".

My mate should be able to get over it if hes my best friend.

Also, what Juvia said would apply eventually :/

hahaha.

I thought at first that you were referring to Fairy Tail
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 10, 2013 6:00 PM

Nov 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:

2. Once you marry, you're factually family. Family is more important than friends - no matter how close those friends are. Loyalty should always lie with the family.

bond is thicker than blood!
Dec 10, 2013 6:05 PM
Dec 2013
BeyondNero said:
Girlfriends come and go, But my best friends are forever!

same with best friends, trust me. either you leave them or they leave you first, there are no true friends.
Dec 11, 2013 3:33 AM

Sep 2007
JuviaBlue said:
Your girlfriend should be your best friend.

Yes, until you get married. Then they become your enemy ...

Dec 11, 2013 8:25 AM

May 2009
Depends on how special this boyfriend is. If I'm certain he's "the one", I'd choose him as I'd consider him my best friend as well. Otherwise I'd choose my friend.
Dec 11, 2013 9:01 AM

Apr 2013
I would always choose a friendship over a relationship
Dec 11, 2013 9:08 AM

Mar 2012
fable said:
lupadim said:
You can get new girlfriends but you can't get a new best friend
You can, in fact, get a new best friend. This remark is so incorrect I want to spit on it.
Agreed. I've made new best friends multiple times.

vithyansiva said:
bond is thicker than blood!
I think you might be doing this wrong.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Dec 11, 2013 1:57 PM

May 2013
It's too vague to give you a proper answer, as they are both hypothetical beings that I have no feeling towards them.
If you are asking for what relationship do I value more, I would chose the one who I will get to spend more precious time and trust more, so probably the girlfriend?
Dec 13, 2013 5:38 PM

Nov 2012
Soren333 said:
If you had to choose between your best friend or your girlfriend/boyfriend, who would you choose and why?

You've known your best friend since you were little, you've done everything together, and have supported each other through all the hardships each of you have been through. This is the person who is loyal, honest and someone you can trust with your life.

You've been with your girlfriend (boyfriend for girls) for the past 3 years, you know she's the one, the one you're going to marry. She's the one who makes you laugh and makes you feel something in your heart that you've never felt before. She's always there for you, even when no one agrees with you, she makes you feel as though you are the most special person in the world.

Who do you choose?

Depends on the situation. Who would I choose to kill? Who would I choose to talk with concerning various topics? Probably the one who is best at deceiving me, my mental state at that moment, and the perceived consequences. Alot also depends on the traits of the girlfriend. If girlfriend somehow has all the ideal traits she'll probably win against my current best friend due to the added advantage of emotional manipulation potential. However, stronger emotional manipulation can backfire if not handled well - one big argument can easily lead to a break-up. Best friend interpersonal relationships are usually much more stable. But... an ideal best friend versus an ideal girlfriend? ...I don't know.

An example of a situation where I could easily make a choice is: my best friend and girlfriend are both hanging on the edge of the cliff. I can choose one to save. However my best friend is 100% going to die in ten seconds anyway due to another cause. If I choose my best friend he's going to die anyway so I would choose the girlfriend. And you can interchange the people mentioned with any other important person e.g. a family member...

Soren333 said:
For the people who may ask why do I have to choose between one of them, I just want to see who you value more. I guess another way of asking this question is who would you not be able to live without, your girlfriend or your best friend?

Of course this is a hypothetical question, so just imagine that you have a girlfriend and best friend as described above.

If your girlfriend is also your best friend, then imagine that you have a best friend as described above.

Value more in what aspect? I can live without both.

TallonKarrde23 said:
1. What Juvia said. You shouldn't be with the person if you aren't that close, let alone soon marrying them. Surely a relationship that lasts a week or a few months you don't need to be - but if you are GETTING MARRIED then yes, they better be your fucking best friend or you may as well get those divorce papers ready while getting your marriage certificate.

2. Once you marry, you're factually family. Family is more important than friends - no matter how close those friends are. Loyalty should always lie with the family.

3. If you aren't willing to put the person you love above all else aside your biological family and future children, you aren't in love. If you aren't willing to give up things for them, including important stuff, (and no not due to them demanding it, as that's just being a shitty person on their part) then you also aren't in love. And if you aren't in love you shouldn't be getting married and she's not the one.

Strong ideals; however who is more important, loyal and loved may not necessary be the main decision factor in all situations. Even someone who I find highly important, loyal and loved will lose against a total stranger in a decision if the stranger gives me what I want, whilst the said important person will foreseeably die in five seconds.

Virtual_BS said:
There are many variables to take into account for something like this,
but in the scenario you presented, I'd choose the girlfriend.

A true best friend will be understanding if circumstances dictate you part.
"It was good while it lasted, now we go our separate ways, farewell"
It's not worth losing the person you love enough to want to spend the rest of your life with.

Of course, if it was a short and/or uncertain relationship, I'd definitely pick the best friend.

Realistically, you should be able to keep both.
This scenario assumes that you keep one and lose one forever.

I like this answer although I may not share the same view.
pseudolemmadoxumDec 13, 2013 5:46 PM
| Profile | Anime List | Manga List | Visual Novel List |

"Well God said that the troll didn't fit on Noah's ark, so how did trolls end up here?"
— Bryan Ma
Dec 13, 2013 6:21 PM

Nov 2008
I value both equally. If they tried to make me choose, I'd refuse to choose and end up with whoever sticks around.
Dec 13, 2013 8:57 PM

Jun 2013
Shota
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

41 by Merve2Love »»
19 minutes ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

27 by Rhaelynne »»
49 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

42 by cyandaqil »»
1 hour ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

69 by neol3 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

63 by cyandaqil »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.