Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 13, 2013 3:36 AM
Jan 2010
Hi there, I am currently a final year Graphic and Digital Design student in the UK. I was very confused on what to base my dissertation on. Which has to be 6000-9000.

What I really wanted to do is Manga and Anime which I am heavily interested in it but my mind is blank on what exactly to base it upon.

I would like to request the help of you fellow MAL users for any suggestions/ideas for a dissertation on manga and anime which will also include elements of graphic design.
Edit: it doesn't have to be directly linked. But has to have elements of graphics design.

Thank you very much.
MrStickOct 18, 2013 2:54 AM
Oct 13, 2013 4:10 AM
Sep 2013
The only thing I can think of is anime logos and symbols. I don't know how long your dissertation has to be (or how long you'd like it to be) but I'm unsure of how in-depth you'll be able to go with this.
Oct 14, 2013 4:51 AM
Jan 2010
I had a talk with one of my tutors and he absolutely likes the idea of me doing my dissertation on Anime/Manga.

Some ideas which I got from him were things such as

Why does anime/manga have an emotional impact more than Western comic/cartoons.

Or the popularity of Manga/Anime in the West. Why? Is it because it's something 'alien'. For a British person such as me, whos from a different ethnic background, to have such a strong connection with Japan than the west?
The development of graphical content in the west, does it have a connection with Japan - meaning influence?
MrStickOct 14, 2013 5:07 AM
Oct 14, 2013 6:44 AM

Feb 2013
You could do a development or history of style over time and analyze that. I think this may be what you mean by your second suggestion. For an Anthropology of Art course I did this for the sci fi genre and split it up into mecha and 'cyberpunk.' I just wanted to talk about Eva and GITS honestly, but there is an interesting history with Japan's relationship with technology. This paper was much shorter than a dissertation so you would have to do it across different genres.

Maybe something with gender and depiction? That goes into a lot of cultural topics also. I'll edit this if I think of something else. Good luck!
Oct 14, 2013 7:01 PM

Jan 2011
I'm not sure how the dissertations are structured at your institution, but my chapter two was all about the related research that has already been done. It sounds to me like there are a couple of ways to go: Either focus on the cultural studies route which will look at the social impact of manga/anime, the meaning that it has in the lives of the various audiences that consume it (including the difference between the internal Japanese meaning, and the meaning that gaijin give to it), or explores aspects of the culture that has grown up around it; or focus on the evolution of graphic styles and the shortcuts to meaning which have grown up around the art forms.

See what there is out there for existing research work, particularly the published papers and any academic critiques. Reading those may help you focus on a single question. Above all consult your advisor (or the equivalent). I'm assuming that you will have to do an oral defense. If so, your advisor will be your most important resource. My advisor would read each draft chapter and send it back with comments, then also look at my revised version(s) and critique my use of stats. You'll be doing a non-quantitative topic, so in some ways it wil be easier, but you may want to suss out who your committee is to see just what preconceptions they'll bring to the examination.

I'm assuming this is for doctoral work--if so my research and analysis took about a year and writing the thing took a solid six months. Unfortunately real life intervened so in real time it was about four years. If it's for a master's cut this in half. If it is more in the category of a finishing project for an undergrad degree, cut it in half once again. That should give you a benchmark for the time it will take.

Good luck! I hope this helped.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Oct 18, 2013 2:55 AM
Jan 2010
Thank you very much for your replies - Chrysalibun and Rodac.

I only have till January for this.
Oct 18, 2013 8:20 AM
Jul 2018
MrStick said:
I had a talk with one of my tutors and he absolutely likes the idea of me doing my dissertation on Anime/Manga.

Some ideas which I got from him were things such as

Why does anime/manga have an emotional impact more than Western comic/cartoons.

Or the popularity of Manga/Anime in the West. Why? Is it because it's something 'alien'. For a British person such as me, whos from a different ethnic background, to have such a strong connection with Japan than the west?
The development of graphical content in the west, does it have a connection with Japan - meaning influence?

I just feel like answering a little of what you wrote in the post above.

I recently watched a documentary where they say that anime has had a huge influence on today's Hollywood. Movies today are very inspired from the japanese anime and manga culture. For example you have "Transformers". You also have "Matrix" that's very influenced by the japanese anime culture. One more example is the movie "300".
I would guess that anime is getting more and more accepted thanks to this.
According to the documentary, anime is very popular also thanks to the more "adult"-targeted animes, which cartoons are not. Violence and such stuff wasn't something that was shown in typical cartoons, while it was in anime. Therefor the audience was more of an older age.

That's what I got from the documentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KenV6TvDXY
Oct 20, 2013 6:42 AM
Jan 2010
Thank you very much Fexell for your reply and everyone else.

I had a quick chat with my personal Dissertation tutor and another tutor from which I decided to base it on why anime/manga has an emotional impact on us. With regards to the different elements within anime/manga such as artwork, genre, storyline, characters etc. As for me personally, I am more influenced and emotionally effected than from Western shows (they don't do much to me even the real movies).

Thanks again.

More topics from this board

» Aspiring Writer Looking for Feedback

YungStairwell - Yesterday

0 by YungStairwell »»
Yesterday, 10:38 PM

» Violin repertoire progression 1 month

ToastWithNutella - May 6

2 by Alriven »»
Yesterday, 10:23 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

371 by Just_Augos »»
Yesterday, 10:02 PM

» Anime hoodies - Would you wear it ?

abambata - Apr 17

5 by mo_lave »»
Yesterday, 7:38 PM

» Share an ai anime pic

NowOldCow - Dec 6, 2023

20 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 10:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.