Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!
Available on Manga Store
New
How would you classify Watamote? (in terms of its world view)
Aug 7, 2013 3:41 AM

Oct 2012
This post by tcfenstermaker looks interesting enough for a separate thread:

It strikes me that this is a very un-anime-like anime. Just look at
a lot of the comments here: "When is she going to grow?"
"Something good has to happen, right?" Awkward high school
students are a staple of anime. But they grow and become loved
as they are. That is a hallmark of the slice-of-life genre. This,
though, is very ... western ... in its cynicism. This could very easily
be aired on the Cartoon Network right after Regular Show. So if
this really is not being well-received in Japan, I'm guessing that's
why.

Being "cynical" means believing that people are motivated only by self-interest
and being distrustful of human sincerity or integrity. Some words similar to
"cynical" are: contemptuous, derisive, ironic, mocking, pessimistic, sarcastic,
scornful, skeptical, suspicious, unbelieving and lacking values.

Some words that are roughly opposite to "cynical" are: believing, hopeful,
optimistic, trusting, having values.

Here are some examples of western cartoon series that might be cynical:
The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, Archer, American Dad, Futurama
(in other words, all of them, basically)

In this respect, is Watamote similar to western cartoons?
okanaganAug 7, 2013 3:45 AM
Aug 8, 2013 7:52 AM
Apr 2011
No. There are lots of anime that have the same "never changing or growing up" type of story as western cartoons. For example: Doraemon, Crayon Shin Chan, Sazae-san and possibly even Detective Conan or Anpanman. These type of anime has no end game like a typical cartoon. Watamote on the other hand follows a certain timeline(Tomoko's high school experience) we will get to a point where she will be forced to change for the better or not.
Aug 8, 2013 9:59 PM

Jan 2011
I'm not sure I follow here, but how does being cynical relate to whether the characters actually progress though a certain plot or story to where they actually somewhat change themselves?

If that is the case and we're comparing Western animations to Japanese anime by whether characters actually go through a certain plot, then as ravagestorm said there are plenty like that in Japan...

But if we're just talking about whether Watamote is very "un-animelike" because it is cynical, I disagree.
That statement doesn't even make sense considering that your definition of anime could be subjective and different if you think that every anime out there is very happy-go-lucky or in your typical slice of life genre..

I'd also think that a lot of people are asking when she is going to grow up etc. because they were expecting something entirely different.
SacredFactorAug 8, 2013 10:17 PM
Aug 17, 2013 7:57 PM

Oct 2012
hmm... I think you're unto something here...

But I imaged it differently,

I imagined this series as a "bite" on the typical moeblob anime... the anime even references it at one point. It is not necessarily associated with American cartoons at all.
Aug 18, 2013 10:08 AM

Aug 2012
I haven't seen a series which did exactly this. In a way it seems like it's just a unending cycle of finding hope, losing hope and waking up the next dat to do it again.

In a way I get the thought behind relating it with the never ending Western Cynical shows.

tcfenstermaker said:
This, though, is very ... western ... in its cynicism.

I agree. I'm not that familliar with all these shows, so my opinion is probably based on a small amount of anime out there.
Aug 18, 2013 7:01 PM

Oct 2012
Tsuyuu said:
I imagined this series as a "bite" on the typical moeblob anime... the
anime even references it at one point.

You could be right. At 17:43 in Episode 2, while Tomoko and Yuu-chan are sitting
in the cafe, they have this conversation:

Y: So, do you still watch anime and stuff?
T: Huh? Y-yeah, I guess...
Y: Really? That's great! I don't have anyone else I can talk about that stuff with.
. . Have you seen any good ones lately?
T: There are a lot of anime aimed at moe pigs this season.
Y: Really?
T: I hear they can only make slice-of-life anime because regulations are so strict
. . now.

There is a similar conversation in the manga in Chapter 3, Page 6. But Tomoko
doesn't say "aimed at moe pigs". Definitely, it seems to me that this is fourth-
wall humor where the anime is taking a direct shot at other anime series which
are directed at viewers who enjoy moe characters. Tomoko actually uses the
phrase "moebuta" (萌え豚) which translates as "moe pig". Traditionally, we have
called such people "moe fanboys" and so on.

Personally, I hope that the term "moe pig" will catch on with English-speaking
anime fans since it is neither sexist nor homophobic.

It is not necessarily associated with American cartoons at all.

Right. This is a Japanese story and it makes no reference to the world outside of
Japan. For that matter, it doesn't go beyond the Tokyo region. Also, Watamote
has nowhere near the cynicism of South Park where the message seems to be
that all ideals are meaningless. South Park believes in nothing.

However, I think that the worldview in Japan was strongly affected by the March
11th, 2011 disasters. I think this has made them lose faith in their government
and their image of Japan as a safe, clean place. And of course, Japan has big
problems with its economy.

So maybe now people are feeling depressed and some might be in the mood for
watching an anime where the main character is a somewhat-deluded perverted
morally-flawed negative-thinking unpopular girl rather than a stereotypical
picture-perfect K-On clone.
Aug 19, 2013 4:40 AM
Apr 2011
okanagan said:

However, I think that the worldview in Japan was strongly affected by the March
11th, 2011 disasters. I think this has made them lose faith in their government
and their image of Japan as a safe, clean place. And of course, Japan has big
problems with its economy.

So maybe now people are feeling depressed and some might be in the mood for
watching an anime where the main character is a somewhat-deluded perverted
morally-flawed negative-thinking unpopular girl rather than a stereotypical
picture-perfect K-On clone.

No. There is too much assumption in your post. It is much safer to assume that Watamote was conceived because girl otaku specifically the fujoshi type is becoming a norm in Japan.

You guys must have noticed this already but the fujoshi market is literally growing every year to the point where there is a day in Comiket where majority of doujinshis are for girls. Also a popular otaku manga like Genshiken immediately turned into a fujoshi-centric story why? Because fujoshi is the new market.
Aug 20, 2013 5:13 AM

May 2012
ravagestorm said:
No. There is too much assumption in your post. It is much safer to assume that Watamote was conceived because girl otaku specifically the fujoshi type is becoming a norm in Japan.

You guys must have noticed this already but the fujoshi market is literally growing every year to the point where there is a day in Comiket where majority of doujinshis are for girls. Also a popular otaku manga like Genshiken immediately turned into a fujoshi-centric story why? Because fujoshi is the new market.

This.
Aug 20, 2013 6:31 AM

Feb 2009
I think the issue is people are approaching this like it's a school drama where the characters should grow and there should be clear plot progression when it's really just episodic cringe comedy. It's easy to feel sorry for her and want her to catch a break, but I'd rather it continue to be really funny than throw in half-assed development and ruin the comedy.
Aug 25, 2013 6:10 PM
Jul 2013
i dont understand how watamote and cynical are related in which you're trying to put out. The show is a satire of an introverted high school student lifestyle. The story is a based on the author, possibly her early highschool life. You dont see progression because thats how Tomokos life is set out. In other slice of life anime, you may see the character similar to tomoko but she will suddenly find a way to fix her flaws and out of nowhere gains lots of friend at the end. But thats not how real life works sometimes right?
mr1sparkleAug 25, 2013 6:15 PM
Aug 25, 2013 6:18 PM

Oct 2007
I think it's cynical compared to a lot of high school anime that like to sugarcoat and idealize everything there is about the life of being a high school student in present day Japan. In some ways it's kind of a breath of fresh air as far as high school comedies go cause I'm still just so weary of those kinds of shows even if the ratio of them to everything else isn't quite as disproportionate as it was towards the end of the decade.
Aug 26, 2013 12:46 PM

Mar 2012
okanagan said:
Also, Watamote has nowhere near the cynicism of South Park where the message seems to be that all ideals are meaningless. South Park believes in nothing.
A bit tangential, but I think this is a gross mischaracterization of South Park. The message is less "all ideals are meaningless" and more "no ideal [or indeed, nothing and nobody] is beyond ridicule". And while the creators' viewpoints don't fit neatly under any label, they certainly do have beliefs and are actually somewhat notoriously preachy about them (they even poke fun at that tendency of theirs themselves in the episode Cartoon Wars Part I). Some say the show's underlying philosophy is moderate libertarianism, others say that it's the Golden Mean Fallacy played painfully straight.
Aug 28, 2013 5:09 AM
Jul 2013
I don't see comments like "When is she going to grow?" in Japanese forums.
But here are a lot of comments like that.

I don't think watamote is a rare manga.
Every year, at least 10,000 titles of different manga compilations are published in Japan.
You should read more manga if you want say "This manga is not japanese style" or like that.
Aug 28, 2013 7:08 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
ryokutya said:
I don't think watamote is a rare manga.
Every year, at least 10,000 titles of different manga compilations are published in Japan.
You should read more manga if you want say "This manga is not japanese style" or like that.

I have similar feelings. There are so many outlandish manga out there. Homunculus comes out as one for example.

Also, Gintama is closer to Futurama and Simpsons than this series.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 19, 2013 8:23 PM

Jul 2012
I think you're making this out to be more complicated than it actually is. Watamote is about Tomoko, who has severe social anxiety coupled with unrealistic views of what should be happening to her and feelings of resentment toward those who have what she thinks she should have. That's a lot to overcome. Social anxiety alone is often a vicious cycle type of thing, and it can be unbelievably difficult to break out of.

I think the perceived cynicism is more likely just the result of Tomoko struggling and struggling and struggling with great effort to muck through all her internal issues. It's painstaking for her to make even the slightest progress. Because it's so hard for her, at times she views people who have seemed to so effortlessly obtain what she cannot, despite her best efforts (well, best to her deluded mind, anyway), with great resentment. This resentful negativity and pessimism is what people are thinking is cynical, but it seems to me to be nothing more and nothing less than a product of her struggles.
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr

More topics from this board

» Need help identifying a song

XeroBeat - 6 hours ago

1 by CatChud »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2013

240 by Thnikkakid »»
Apr 11, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2013

201 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 11, 4:27 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2013

377 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

rederoin - Jul 8, 2013

653 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:26 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.