Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 15, 2013 1:58 PM
May 2013
Part of me has always wondered if other people look more into Japanese Rock/Japanese Pop as they are a fan of anime and such, or if it's only a handful of people I know along with myself? I like Japanese Music, and adore certain songs to certain anime and that helps me find new singers to listen to.
How does it work for other people?
Or maybe you don't care of either or?
May 15, 2013 2:12 PM
Mar 2011
anison is different to J pop
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 15, 2013 2:31 PM

Jan 2008
I usually download songs I like from anime op/ed/ost/etc but usually don't bother to go look up other songs by that artist. Sometimes I might.
May 16, 2013 7:36 AM

Apr 2008
Personally if i liked a song, i'd actually research the artist's other songs and listen to those. And most of the time I end up becoming a fan of them based on their style. :)

Unfortunately, as i've noticed from the "majority" my otaku friends and other peers, most people just like a song just because it associates with a particular anime and never really appreciate the artist itself.

I ask them if they liked a particular track from the artist's Album and they're like: "Never heard of that" in the most nonchalantly way. It disappointing to know that people don't really appreciate some of the artist's hard work and what they could be missing out on.

So in short, a LOT of people like songs because it came from an Anime that they like.

If you are one of the rare people who actually appreciates the artist's other songs, then you have my upmost respect!
May 19, 2013 11:43 AM

Oct 2012
It varies with me. Some artists, I look into right after I hear the song from whatever show i'm watching, Like Round Table ft. nino, Beat Crusaders, Maximum the Hormone, and Lia. Some, though, I just enjoy the song from the show I watched, or just havent devoted the time to look into the other music they have, like Kasarinchu or Natsuko Aso.

Through looking up the artists I found by watching anime, i've been able to find a lot more Japanese artists, which is awesome. Bands like One OK Rock, The Hiatus, and MoNoLith I would have never heard of had I not looked into songs from anime.
"Prepare for a feeling of satisfaction with a dash of greatness, a side-dish of hope, all smeared in slight disappointment."
May 19, 2013 1:05 PM

Oct 2012
Most people here are exposed to Japanese music through anime OP/ED's. That's why that's popular in the anime community is not necessarily what's popular in the general population. Top selling artists like MISIA, B'z, ZARD, DCT, or whatever are completely underrepresented, while artist like Nujabes, Maximum the Hormone, Supercell, and Vocaloid stuff comes up again and again. In the past few years, there might have been more FLOW, Orange Range, or AKFG fans due to the number of anime OP/ED's by these groups in popular anime like Naruto or Bleach, but now mentions of these groups are nowhere to be seen, leading me to conclude that the anime fan base is temperamental and appreciates these artists more for their association with anime than the music themselves. I expect the same thing to happen with Supercell, which had music in Magi and Psycho-Pass, that the anime fandom would forget them quickly if they come to distance themselves from anime.

I personally keep in mind whenever I run across an artist name anywhere on the internet, like Wikipedia articles or Top 40 lists for example (and anime of course), and look up the artists later on YouTube. I try to listen to the music that's not an anime opening, in order to get a well-rounded feel of the artist as a whole. Many times anime compositions are done a bit differently than other J-pop -- they are brighter and more melodic compared to the non-anime versions.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 20, 2013 3:54 AM

Nov 2010
I certainly listen to music from anime, I would often listen to the soundtracks of anime I haven't even watched.

I do discover quite a lot of music independent of anime, such as supercell with Nagi as vocals. I discovered them independently of Bakemonogatari and my favorite song from them isn't even from an anime. Same thing with a band I recently discovered (Ling Tosite Sigure), I quite liked their songs, then I was surprised they actually did an anime OP for Psycho pass because I was expecting that they were actually out of the anime scene.
May 20, 2013 6:27 PM
May 2013
I mostly look for anime/game OSTs/op/ed.
May 20, 2013 7:03 PM

Aug 2010
I generally listen to whatever music catches my ear. So I have a fair amount of music from anime that I have watched, but I just have a huge amount of music in general anyway. At the moment I have been really into the Japanese band Flumpool, just sort of stumbled onto them through youtube.
Eyes always lose their fire

May 20, 2013 8:56 PM
Oct 2012
If I like an op./end. theme, I try to listen more songs by the same artist. Sometimes, it ends up in my favourites, like Abingdon Boys School, and other times, I consider myself satisfied with that one good music - meaning: the others I found weren't that good.

Well, after discovering Kpop, I started listening to a few selected japanese musics ~ from openings and endings, essentially, so I would say I'm more "Anime Music".
May 21, 2013 12:46 PM

Feb 2013
I listen to the openings and endings to anime and sometimes I search their name to see if i can find more, like KOTOKO. But i also listen to Vocaloids which are great.
~If only sorrow could build a staircase, our tears could show the way.
I would climb my way to heaven, and bring him back home again.~

May 21, 2013 12:59 PM

May 2010
i usually listen to non anime jpop thats on the top of the oricon chart
thats my main source of music
but if i like an opening or ending from an anime i watch i buy it
May 22, 2013 12:14 AM

Sep 2012
I like anime music more than anime itself.
I'm a fan of Megumi Hayashibara since I was a kid while listening the Slayers op's and ed's.
And of course I got to know some bands and singers beacuse of anime, then search other non-anime related songs from them.
I discoverded bands like Fonogenico, Supercell, Soutaisenriron, ClariS, etc..
I also listen the radio a lot to find new songs and artists.
So yes OP, you're not alone.
May 22, 2013 5:29 PM

Dec 2012
Anime was the gateway to Japanese music for me, I don't think I'd be able to appreciate it as much as I do right now if it weren't for anime. I didn't discover my favorite Japanese artists through anime though but some of their songs have been used in animes.
May 22, 2013 9:12 PM

Apr 2011
Since I started watching anime I don't listen to anything that isn't japanese.
I download discographies whenever I like most of the band/singer music and I'm always on youtube searching for new artists, always avoiding anime sources.
I got almost 20GB of J-music on my phone, female vocals only! Well... At least less than 4 or 5 songs with male vocal, I don't even know.
May 26, 2013 12:00 AM
May 2013
Kazejimonji said:

Unfortunately, as i've noticed from the "majority" my otaku friends and other peers, most people just like a song just because it associates with a particular anime and never really appreciate the artist itself.

I ask them if they liked a particular track from the artist's Album and they're like: "Never heard of that" in the most nonchalantly way. It disappointing to know that people don't really appreciate some of the artist's hard work and what they could be missing out on.

So in short, a LOT of people like songs because it came from an Anime that they like.

If you are one of the rare people who actually appreciates the artist's other songs, then you have my upmost respect!

Oooh, I know exactly what you mean by all that. Like normally I'll listen to a song from an anime, and if I like it a lot I'll look more into the band that sang it...like Samurai Heart (Some Like it Hot) by SPYAIR, used in one of Gintama's openings. I liked the song, looked into the band, found out who they were, and by doing so found a band that I like very much, and not just because of an anime.
May 28, 2013 8:52 AM

Nov 2011
Yea I think the ppl who download Jpop or Anime music usually have some sort of degree of connection to liking anime.
To bicycle, or not to bicycle: that is not a question
Dec 23, 2015 3:22 PM
Dec 2015
Hi guys!
Im searhing for a song, that i heard in the Heroes reborn serie, in the first episode called Brave new world in 16:32. Just a few secs can be heard from the song, but im sure it is a jpop/rock song. i tried almost anything to find that song, but my search wasnt succesfull. If u can help me, it would be appriciated. :)
heres the link where u can check out that few sec. http://www.watzatsong.com/en/name-that-tune/446914.html#

More topics from this board

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now

tsukareru - Yesterday

9 by ninjaberserker »»
1 hour ago

» This is one the most gay music vids i have seen^^

tsukareru - Yesterday

1 by Zettaiken »»
5 hours ago

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Apr 17

26 by 707supremacist »»
Yesterday, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Game of Thrones vs Attack on Titan

DOSS300 - Mar 26

11 by WatchTillTandava »»
Yesterday, 4:54 PM

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7587 by SilentAssassin88 »»
Yesterday, 1:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.