Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 11, 2013 10:11 AM

Oct 2012
As the title says, recommend me series that in your opinion are staples (series that everyone will enjoy) and must-watch. You could also suggest some "hidden gems" you found.

Some Specifications:
- Any Genre except Mecha
- Sci-Fi doesn't sound as favorable to me but I'll try.
- 2005<
- Check my list first.
Apr 11, 2013 12:37 PM

Aug 2009
Apr 11, 2013 12:48 PM

Aug 2012
Generally liked anime:
Nichijou
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
Samurai Champloo

Gems:
Eve no Jikan
Mawaru Penguindrum
Sakamichi no Apollon
Little Witch Academia (it's a one-shot; give it a try)
Apr 11, 2013 12:51 PM

Dec 2012
Ergo Proxy - great mystery series , must watch anime!
Usagi Drop - heartwarming anime , loved it.
Apr 11, 2013 12:55 PM

Oct 2012
HostClub said:
cross game
C - http://myanimelist.net/anime/10163/C
Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Psycho-Pass

Thanks, will give them a try. Phantom is already in my list and C looks especially interesting. Will pass up on Gyakkyou because of the artstyle.

NEED MOAR!
Apr 11, 2013 1:03 PM

Oct 2012
MellowJello said:
Generally liked anime:
Nichijou
Samurai Champloo

Gems:
Eve no Jikan
Mawaru Penguindrum
Sakamichi no Apollon

Which Eve no Jikan? The movie or the ONA? Btw what is an ONA? I don't know what that is. Mawaru Penguindrum looks smexy. Shying away from Nichijou now cause of the artstyle..
Apr 11, 2013 1:05 PM

Jun 2007
Artstyle said:

Which Eve no Jikan? The movie or the ONA? Btw what is an ONA? I don't know what that is. Mawaru Penguindrum looks smexy. Shying away from Nichijou now cause of the artstyle..

Watch the movie - the ONA and movie are literally the exact same thing (I really mean "literally" there) - BUT the movie has some extra footage thrown in.
Apr 11, 2013 1:07 PM

Aug 2012
Artstyle said:
MellowJello said:
Generally liked anime:
Nichijou
Samurai Champloo

Gems:
Eve no Jikan
Mawaru Penguindrum
Sakamichi no Apollon

The ONA just means "Original Net Animation", as in it aired only on the internet. Quality is still HD, so don't worry about it.

In this case though, it means it's split into "episodes", unlike the movie, which was all combined into one. They added a few minutes extra of unimportant scenes, and changed the ED song.

Honestly, they're both pretty much the same. Just take your pick: 6 episodes or one movie? The pacing matters for this anime. Some liked the ONA or the movie better.

I liked the ONA.
Apr 11, 2013 2:40 PM

Oct 2012
MellowJello said:
Artstyle said:
MellowJello said:
Generally liked anime:
Nichijou
Samurai Champloo

Gems:
Eve no Jikan
Mawaru Penguindrum
Sakamichi no Apollon

The ONA just means "Original Net Animation", as in it aired only on the internet. Quality is still HD, so don't worry about it.

In this case though, it means it's split into "episodes", unlike the movie, which was all combined into one. They added a few minutes extra of unimportant scenes, and changed the ED song.

Honestly, they're both pretty much the same. Just take your pick: 6 episodes or one movie? The pacing matters for this anime. Some liked the ONA or the movie better.

I liked the ONA.

Ayt. Got it. I'm going with the ONA. More recommendations please.
Apr 11, 2013 4:04 PM

Feb 2013
Mushishi
Zetsuen no Tempest
AnoHana
Hyouka
Girl Who Leapt Through Time (movie)

Underrated:
MAR
Apr 11, 2013 5:24 PM

Oct 2011
Gintama
Apr 11, 2013 8:55 PM

Jul 2012
Gungrave, Mushi-Uta , Sola
Apr 11, 2013 9:07 PM

Nov 2012
Definitely watch Higurashi and NHK, I noticed both are on your plan to watch list.

For a 'hidden gem', try Speed Grapher. It's supernatural/action, with a touch of romance. One of my favourite series.

Another hidden gem type anime is Midori Days. It's a romcom, but with a really unique plot. It's definitely never been used except in that show!

Apr 12, 2013 8:23 AM

Oct 2012
@Jtrics: Thanks. Checking those out except GAR, it's from 2005 and the art and animations looks pretty meh. Zetsuen no Tempest looks especially nice.

@Spkilla: I already know of Gintama.

@Ella: Yeah, but it's pretty hard to take a hold of an NHK 720p Torrent with lotsa seeders cause it's licensed or something. Speed Grapher does look mildly decent but I've already watched Midori no Hibi. Thanks though, I appreciate it.
Apr 20, 2013 10:30 PM

Oct 2012
Bump! I'd liike more.

More topics from this board

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Apr 25

6 by mo_lave »»
1 hour ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

34 by JoeChip »»
2 hours ago

» Looking for an Anime like the game "Rival Schools".

reigningslash - Apr 22

3 by JoeChip »»
3 hours ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Apr 18

9 by JoeChip »»
3 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

10 by JoeChip »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.