Forum Settings
Forums

What factors affect the quality of visuals in an anime ?

New
Mar 31, 2013 1:43 PM
Dec 2012
Hi everyone ! Just a random thought came to my mind. What factors affect the visuals(that includes both art and animation) of a certain anime ? I guess it goes like this(in no particular order) -
1. Studio - I think the visuals may vary from studio to studio. The art style specifically. For example, an anime studio like Studio Gokumi that produces only moe for its living MAY NOT do a good job at producing a different art style. Another notable example is Fate which is pretty much self explanatory.
2. Budget - The higher the budget, the better the quality. As simple as that.
3. Duration - I think the number of episodes too also affects the quality. A high budget would obviously last longer for 12 episodes than something for 24 episodes.
I guess that's all. Your opinions now !
Mar 31, 2013 1:47 PM

Jan 2008
Bugdet.

A company/studio may do incredibly well with one series but incredibly bad with another because of the budget for the separate series. Example? Magi and Vivdred Operation by A-1.

When I think duration I think the type of anime, movie vs TV series. In which case, comes back to the budget, which movies usually have higher budget.
Mar 31, 2013 1:48 PM

Aug 2012
Paul said:
Bugdet.

A company/studio may do incredibly well with one series but incredibly bad with another because of the budget for the separate series. Example? Magi and Vivdred Operation by A-1.

^ This
~Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve
Mar 31, 2013 1:49 PM

Oct 2012
Just look at Neon Genesis Evangelion; the obvious factor (lack of rather) is there.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Mar 31, 2013 2:05 PM
Dec 2012
Tavor said:
Just look at Neon Genesis Evangelion; the obvious factor (lack of rather) is there.

You mean low budget ?
Mar 31, 2013 2:07 PM

Feb 2009
Very much the budget.
Mar 31, 2013 2:08 PM

Jan 2013
Burna said:
Paul said:
Bugdet.

^ This
Yup, this is the inevitability of all anime sadly
Mar 31, 2013 2:09 PM

Jan 2013
Our eyes.
Mar 31, 2013 2:10 PM

Oct 2012
gargS said:
Tavor said:

You mean low budget ?

Yep!
At least what I read about it said that was the case, which makes sense of course.

Mar 31, 2013 2:11 PM

Aug 2010
Shouldn't one piece then have one of the best animation considering how popular the show is?
Mar 31, 2013 2:12 PM

Dec 2012
Tavor said:
gargS said:
Tavor said:

You mean low budget ?

Yep!
At least what I read about it said that was the case, which makes sense of course.

That's what happened, the lack of budged was the reason for the last to horrendous episodes (if you can even call them that).

So yeah, budget, you need a good team of course, but a good animation team without a budget can't do much.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Mar 31, 2013 2:13 PM

Jan 2013
crosby_87 said:
Shouldn't one piece then have one of the best animation considering how popular the show is?
Your forgetting they have to divide their budget between other projects.
Mar 31, 2013 2:13 PM

Oct 2012
Ability called sight
Mar 31, 2013 2:14 PM

Nov 2010
Javera said:
crosby_87 said:
Yeah the anime will always stay popular and they can make the most money making movies. The movies not only sell out theaters and break records, they also boost the manga sales by a lot.
Mar 31, 2013 2:16 PM

Feb 2009
Is it just me, or has the studio Bones always had quality animation in every single series they've made. Throughout Brotherhood and Soul Eater, i thought the animation was very top notch, detailed and varied.
Mar 31, 2013 2:18 PM

Jan 2013
natssuu said:
Ability called sight

I wait for a day that we can use our sense of smell on the anime visual medium. But alas.
Mar 31, 2013 2:19 PM

Oct 2012
Sami092 said:
Is it just me, or has the studio Bones always had quality animation in every single series they've made. Throughout Brotherhood and Soul Eater, i thought the animation was very top notch, detailed and varied.

Darker than Black especially, they're just elites.
Mar 31, 2013 2:20 PM

Jan 2008
natssuu said:
Sami092 said:

I remember several derp faces in Eureka Seven Ao. Not sure if changed in the DVD/BD release.
Mar 31, 2013 2:21 PM

Oct 2012
Jovoo said:
Tavor said:
gargS said:
Tavor said:

You mean low budget ?

Yep!

That's what happened, the lack of budged was the reason for the last to horrendous episodes (if you can even call them that).

So yeah, budget, you need a good team of course, but a good animation team without a budget can't do much.

Makes me ever so curious to what Anno would of done differently at that current time with a proper budget.

Mar 31, 2013 2:22 PM

Oct 2010
Javera said:
crosby_87 said:

I don't think that really applies, specially when the level of drawing and animation has gone downhill lately (and when I say lately, I mean in the last 150 episodes or so, so yep, it's serious), and the stuff is insanely dragged out. It is their cash cow, I can't see how this makes convenient to let the quality of the show get worse.

Damn, it's the second time I seriously criticize One Piece in just a few minutes. I feel dirty as a fanboy.
Mar 31, 2013 2:35 PM

Nov 2010
jal90 said:
Javera said:
crosby_87 said:

I don't think that really applies, specially when the level of drawing and animation has gone downhill lately (and when I say lately, I mean in the last 150 episodes or so, so yep, it's serious), and the stuff is insanely dragged out. It is their cash cow, I can't see how this makes convenient to let the quality of the show get worse.

Damn, it's the second time I seriously criticize One Piece in just a few minutes. I feel dirty as a fanboy.
Because it will always be their cash cow, the ratings won't drop becuase of art quality. So they focus on the movies, the movies make billions of yen, break records, and boost up manga sales by a lot.
Mar 31, 2013 2:46 PM

Oct 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
jal90 said:
Javera said:
crosby_87 said:

Because it will always be their cash cow, the ratings won't drop becuase of art quality. So they focus on the movies, the movies make billions of yen, break records, and boost up manga sales by a lot.

Yep, I guess that's how it will be. The problem actually is not that it hasn't been improved, the problem is that it has been quite drastically worsened. I wouldn't be complaining if there was the similar low effort in the entire series but it seems instead the show gets more and more abandoned. I know the ratings won't drop, but it seems they don't even want to catch new viewers anymore.
Mar 31, 2013 2:47 PM

Sep 2012
Effort.
Mar 31, 2013 3:11 PM

Nov 2010
jal90 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
jal90 said:
Javera said:
crosby_87 said:

Yep, I guess that's how it will be. The problem actually is not that it hasn't been improved, the problem is that it has been quite drastically worsened. I wouldn't be complaining if there was the similar low effort in the entire series but it seems instead the show gets more and more abandoned. I know the ratings won't drop, but it seems they don't even want to catch new viewers anymore.
Well there's been a lot of specials lately, Glorious Island, Hand island were aired right before Z, the nami special wasn't that long ago. They don't need to catch new viewers with the tv series, all the higher rated shows are the older staple of Japan shows(like Sazea and chibi maruko) and the movies can get new viewers(because they are a seperate story, faster to watch, better art, etc).
Mar 31, 2013 3:44 PM
Dec 2012
Paul said:
natssuu said:
Sami092 said:

I remember several derp faces in Eureka Seven Ao. Not sure if changed in the DVD/BD release.

I am asking this out of curiosity but from what you are saying, is it true by anyhow that studios redraw the scenes in the DVD/BD release. Just asking.
Mar 31, 2013 3:45 PM

Jan 2008
gargS said:
Paul said:
natssuu said:
Sami092 said:

I am asking this out of curiosity but from what you are saying, is it true by anyhow that studios redraw the scenes in the DVD/BD release. Just asking.

Yea, there are many shows where the company fixes animation errors. I believe Shaft fixed several of them in Bakemonogatari like extra fingers and stuff. Although it doesn't mean even every company/producer do.
Mar 31, 2013 3:55 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Budget, pixels, your eyes, etc...

jal90 said:

FI had some very well done environments and the anime is alread in PH, how is it dragged out?. As for the drawing and animation, some examples may help.
Mar 31, 2013 3:58 PM

Sep 2012
I have a feeling that another factor are deadlines. If a company is tight on time, of course they will cut corners in order to hand in something. While I haven't seen it, I've heard that the backgrounds in Madoka Magica are much more detailed in the BD release than when it first aired, leading me to believe they were short on time with some stuff so corners were cut and fixed it for the BD release.
Mar 31, 2013 4:09 PM

Oct 2010
BatoKusanagi said:
Budget, pixels, your eyes, etc...

jal90 said:

FI had some very well done environments and the anime is alread in PH, how is it dragged out?. As for the drawing and animation, some examples may help.

I think the last filler arc made a great example of drawing issues; serious problems of perspective*, bad or inconsistant character designs (the drawing of the Straw Hats, take for example Nami). In terms of animation: a good example comes with FI. Not really because of lack of fluidity itself (also, to an extent), but due to the overuse of still frames in every moment. The scenes where the citizens were *supposed* to be running where either presented in that way or animated in a ridiculously clumsy way.

I know One Piece has always had its issues but lately it has been showing lots of these lately.

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 9 minutes ago

2 by logopolis »»
26 seconds ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 4 minutes ago

1 by deg »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

38 by _gt_ohn »»
3 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

30 by logopolis »»
3 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

21 by xqXpx »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.