Forum Settings
Forums

MISC: "What have you been doing and why are you doing it?" (Season 2)

New
Do you follow a strict schedule?
Mar 28, 2013 3:54 AM

Sep 2010
2013-03-28T18:50:06+08:00

"What have you been doing and why are you doing it?"

Feel free to share about your more recent activities that possibly deviate from your regular routines.

2013-03-28T18:52:08+08:00
Naysayers almost effortlessly make the possible seem impossible since they usually just parrot generalized, oversimplified, or uninspired arguments. However, the proper, but significantly more difficult way to refute an idea is to discredit all major and most minor cases. In contrast, a single convincing solution can prove feasibility though it isn't a trivial pursuit either.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 28, 2013 4:15 PM
Oct 2009
I've been asked by some friends to join a website project as the team back-end developer. I had initially thought that it would be a simple blog with some plugins, but what they are really trying to build is a robust platform which provides quality articles about anime and manga, user interaction (e.g., by rating anime and manga), forums for discussion and embedded anime streaming through Crunchyroll and other similar services. Maybe we'll need a full social platform in the future.

Even though I can't (shouldn't, at least) afford to take time for projects of this magnitude, I thought it could be, at least, a valuable learning experience. And yeah, so far this is very true. The prototype is being built using only very basic stuff, so that we may understand the system complexity and switch to more powerful tools if needed in order to deal with specific issues, and also because I'll be able to learn from mistakes I make during this stage.

EDIT: Actually, I don't usually follow schedules, so it's hard to talk about activities which deviate from my regular routines. But this project is definitely a huge deviation, so it's worth mentioning it.
TomahMar 28, 2013 4:18 PM
Apr 1, 2013 11:59 PM
Jan 2010
Aspiring engineering student let's goooo!

Aside from the sleeping at a regular schedule of 2-3am, school has been relatively engaging and challenging in its own right. I've been working towards my goal of a transferring to a four year university, stay in said university for both the undergraduate and graduate level, proceed off to industry for experience, and some other fun academically driven stuff. I'm doing all this because I believe in what the STEM fields can do to someone's life and perspective and I feel fortunate enough to have become the individual I am today because of my immersion in it. My goal in life is to advocate the pursuit of a STEM field for high school students, and amaze younger students. This is just a very brief overview of what I'm striving for.

Also I sell skincare products and manage to generate a pretty decent source of income for this part time business venture. I'm doing this because I want to develop my skills in crafting and guiding my own organization composed of people I knew before going into the business. Also any sort of experience in business lends a helping hand in life. Also money. Money is nice, but I'm not particularly hard minded towards earning it. The person i will become during this venture is equally and maybe perhaps, more valuable.

Oh also anime. Currently rewatching Planetes.
May 15, 2013 2:15 AM

Nov 2011
Ha! Schedule? If I didn't have responsibilities, none would exist XP

Well right now I'm supposed to be studying for exams or sleeping, but I'll talk about the craft project I did a few days ago. Which was Crazy Day (I swear it's my favorite day of the year with the exeptions of April Fools and some other holidays).

I've been planning to make one of these for a long time. This time I made a plastic bag skirt, because I didn't feel like making a full dress. I used one extra-large black bag for the the bottom layer. Then I duct-taped (and god bless the inventor of duct tape) fence-shaped cut-outs of white bags. There was at least ten layers of them all around, so it sort of resembled feathers. There were some other aspects to my outfit, like I wore a headband that I decorated with gift-ribbon. But because I have an obsession with matching my outfits, a lot of people didn't realize I was participating. The skirt looked totally put together, and many of my friends only figured out it wasn't made of actual material until I started mending it with scissors in the afternoon. My psychology teacher loved it, but the skirt definitely did not have nearly the same impact as my No Face look. My new Japanese teacher asked if I ever study at all, because I spent around 4 hours the night before making it ;) The last thirty minutes were most productive because my mom came up and helped me while I wore it. I think I have to invest in a mannequin.

Another big accomplishment for me: I made an MV using actual video. Forgive my amateur-ishness, lol. I've taken songs and made videos using hundreds of pictures before. This time I took two Japanese PVs by KAT-TUN and cut it to fit one of my favorite songs. I was proud of myself because I did everything over one weekend. I downloaded the program (Sony Vegas Pro) in the evening, started making it that Saturday night, and rendered it by Sunday. I was afraid to show my mom, but she loved how I timed it. I watched the original PVs and I think my timing was better, yay. Of course, I totally admire the actual owners for the awesome job with the CG, the choreography, and the video-taking skills. Their work must be exhausting! I think I may decide to become a director or editor now, because it was so much fun. I probably watched my video over a hundred times ^~^

Anyway, I'll update when I do more projects. Haven't been painting recently because my family's undergoing summer-cleaning. That essentially means every empty crafting spot is occupied with items that haven't seen the light of day in months. And I'll also be traveling this vacation. So many things are there to look forward to. Hope y'all have a great day <3
These faces are so cute that I might just leave them here (#`Д´)´∀`)・ω・) ゚Д゚)゚∀゚)・∀・) ̄ー ̄)´_ゝ`)
May 20, 2013 5:09 AM

Sep 2010
2013-05-21T22:40:21+08:00
2013-05-20T20:06:04+08:00

I'm experimenting on this "public mailbox" concept. I want to know which is more convenient, having one mailbox, mine, where all my correspondents reply to or having a mailbox for each of my correspondents. I haven't tried the latter yet.

EDIT: I've decided on allocating one "thread mailbox" for each user.

Sadly, I don't know what has happened to packet. Although he's been disillusioned by anime since late last year (haha, wrong deduction FuryKury1), he had continued providing support for his external MAL app. We can only make pointless conjectures. Sigh.

2013-05-20T20:09:05+08:00
2013-05-21T22:42:33+08:00
weakwithwordsMay 21, 2013 7:45 AM
Naysayers almost effortlessly make the possible seem impossible since they usually just parrot generalized, oversimplified, or uninspired arguments. However, the proper, but significantly more difficult way to refute an idea is to discredit all major and most minor cases. In contrast, a single convincing solution can prove feasibility though it isn't a trivial pursuit either.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » (reserved)

weakwithwords - Dec 1, 2013

0 by weakwithwords »»
Dec 1, 2013 6:27 AM

» ARCHIVES

weakwithwords - Dec 17, 2012

3 by weakwithwords »»
Mar 26, 2013 10:22 AM

» &quot;Introduce Yourself&quot;: Social Networking Experiences

weakwithwords - Dec 26, 2012

2 by Orion1 »»
Jan 4, 2013 2:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.