Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Nov 26, 2023 8:21 PM
Aug 2021
It made me cry....
Nov 29, 2023 5:32 AM

Dec 2022
I can see how this is based on a real story, and it's a really effective movie in general. Seita and Setsuko's circumstances became increasingly more emotionally gripping as the movie went on, and the scene just before Setsuko's death where she was delirious and offering Seita the rocks she thought were rice and soy pulp was especially resonant. The one resounding issue I have with it is spoiling the ending by showing it right at the beginning. While I'm aware that it was a literary technique, it and the spirit manifestations of Seita and Setsuko that periodically show up during the movie are something that's difficult to immediately understand. That said, their spirits returning at the end to overlook the city was a nice gesture that added a subtle bittersweet element to an otherwise tragic tale.

Shaded Horizon

Nov 30, 2023 8:55 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to Archean-Return
I can see how this is based on a real story, and it's a really effective movie in general. Seita and Setsuko's circumstances became increasingly more emotionally gripping as the movie went on, and the scene just before Setsuko's death where she was delirious and offering Seita the rocks she thought were rice and soy pulp was especially resonant. The one resounding issue I have with it is spoiling the ending by showing it right at the beginning. While I'm aware that it was a literary technique, it and the spirit manifestations of Seita and Setsuko that periodically show up during the movie are something that's difficult to immediately understand. That said, their spirits returning at the end to overlook the city was a nice gesture that added a subtle bittersweet element to an otherwise tragic tale.
@Archean-Return

It's semi-based on autobiographical experiences of the author, not a real story. , which are actually quite different from the events of the anime and the short story that it's based on.
Dec 8, 2023 4:32 PM

Dec 2022
Loakkola said:
It's semi-based on autobiographical experiences of the author, not a real story. , which are actually quite different from the events of the anime and the short story that it's based on.

That's why I said "based on", rather than saying it was an exact retelling in an anime format. You can base something on an idea or work (like the semi-autobiographical experience of the author) without adapting it word-for-word.

Shaded Horizon

Dec 18, 2023 11:01 PM
Dec 2023
Pretty good I just didn't resonate with it I almost cried at one point though
Jan 22, 6:53 PM
Mar 2023
Watched most of the Studio Ghibli movies, but unlike the other ones, rather than a deep sense of nostalgia and longing to rewatch, I was left bawling my eyes for the last 30 minutes of the movie. Never cried for a movie in my entire life. Despite this, I was glad to watch it because of how profound the message was and strongly recommend everyone to watch this masterpiece at least once in their lives.
Jan 25, 12:51 AM

Jun 2020
I made the whole class cried for playing this as study material for my Sociology class. It was nice, thank you.
Jan 31, 3:37 PM
May 2018
i cried, tank you bro
Feb 10, 6:47 AM
Sep 2023
It was so sad to see his sister die and all the troubles he went through just to make her happy. 10/10 episode but my heart cannot take this much
Feb 13, 5:05 PM
Dec 2023
a common scene in wars, isn't it ?
Feb 17, 10:43 PM
Aug 2022
Reply to 5layer
This movie was a piece of shit. Hated it. Also, movies like these make me hate Americans lol.

Although from an artistic point of view, this movie was really good. Hence why I gave it a 6 and not a 1. I just dislike movies about wars. Too tragic etc.
@5layer boohoo nigga
Feb 25, 6:39 PM
May 2022
As few words comes to me at this moment.. I can only say it's a masterpiece. Only a handful of content had such a heavy emotional impact. Needless to say, the art, design, direction.. it resonates with that Ghibli Studio represents today.
Feb 26, 8:27 PM
Feb 2024
ok.... at first this make me cry because the mother died and setsuko make me cry..... but!!!! seita make me annoyed because why he don't use his money to but a healthy food?? he have a lot money!!! 70000 yen is a lot bruh!!!
Mar 8, 5:18 AM
Oct 2017
Liked it, other people like it more than i did so maybe i caught it before lunch
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

» Rewatch!?!

Jai_akash - Apr 22

22 by imjayhime »»
Apr 24, 7:55 PM

» Useful for learning the Kansai dialect (J-subs)

RudeRedis - Jul 8, 2023

18 by theSporz »»
Jan 17, 5:58 AM

Poll: » Did you cry after you watched this movie? (spoilers) ( 1 2 3 4 )

ss4gojetanks - Jul 8, 2011

186 by Neko_myanimelist »»
Jan 9, 11:23 AM

» Grave of the fireflies is not that much sad

Ishow_suii - Nov 16, 2023

24 by ToufiqHassan »»
Nov 17, 2023 4:26 AM

» I don't think I'll ever re-watch this movie. ( 1 2 )

Abyque - Sep 13, 2022

51 by Lungitar90 »»
Sep 11, 2023 4:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.